The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > General Movies

Old 01-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Default Top 100 Movies Of The Decade 2000-2010 Thread.

I may do an 80s and 90s version at some point but one is plenty. I will post one movie per day from my top 100 list and anyone is welcome to post there list but prefer it one to 2 movies a day from there list. I invite Dracula to post his list and anyone who has intrist in film.
I know my list likely is not no academy fave one but this is all in good fun. I'll post from 100-1.
My first movie shall be not Gangs Of New York but i do have it on the list but a bit further up.

The Top 100 Movies Of The Decade.

100. Kung Fu Panda.

This was one of my favorite films and we got two really great animated features in 2008. Wall-E and this film Kung Fu Panda. Was not for me as good as original animated films like Ice Age or Shrek but it had a very warm feel to it and Jack Black and Dustin Hoffman acting made this movie work.

The character of Po is one of the better characters since then and gives all fat people hope that they can to be a hero and i think its why this movie is a good one for kids.
It maybe should be a bit higher then 100 but all lists must start somewhere and Kung Fu Panda seems as good a place to start as any other.
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Dracula
Bloodgod

I guess this could be... interesting.

The Top 100 Films of the 2000s
Presented by Dracula

Yep, I'm going to get this going but I want to start with a few disclaimers:
  • This is a top 100 list and not a top ten, some of the earlier entries are going to be less worthy, keep in mind that they're lower on the list for a reason.
  • Some of the choices are here to represent larger trends and some represent important filmmakers' greater bodies of work, consider that context.
  • Ranking comedies and blockbuster action films on the same list with "important" dramas is kind of tricky, some of the lighter films will be given a bit of a handicap in the rankings in the name of spreading them out over the list.
  • The rankings here are not necessarily going to be consistent with the rankings in my yearly top ten lists, including my 2009 list (which I have yet to finalize)
  • 2009 movies in general are at a disadvantage, I just haven't really had the necessary time to reflect on them.
  • Documentaries are not eligible, short films are not eligible.

Also, I have not seen the following movies: Ballast, Beau Travail, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Dogville, A Christmas Tale, Climates, Days of Glory, The Fast Runner, Gommorah, Good Bye Dragon Inn, The Grey Zone, Hard Candy, Anything Harry Potter, Hunger, I Am Legend, Inland Empire, Lust Caution, Moolaade, Anything Pixar, Silent Light, The Son, Starting Out in the Evening, Syndrome and a Century, Timecrimes, Wendy and Lucy, Werckmeister Harmonies, Where the Wild Things Are, or The White Ribbon.
So don't expect any of them on the list, and if I should see any of them while revealing the list I'm still not changing it, this thing is locked in.

So, without further ado, let's start this thing.

#100 Gangs of New York (2002)

Director: Martin Scorsese
Writer(s): Jay Cocks, Steven Zaillian, and Kenneth Lonergan
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day-Lewis, and Cameron Diaz
Release Date: 12/20/2002
Distributor: Miramax
Budget: $97 Million
Worldwide Box Office: $193 million
Metacritic: 72
Oscars: 10 Nominations, 0 Wins

The first ten or so movies on this list largely (but not exclusively) consists of movies that have something great about them, but which are ultimately brought down by flaws which are too big to ignore. Few films exemplify this as much as Martin Scorsese’s bold and well thought out tale of Civil War Era New York and the gangs that fought it out on its streets.

That the film shows a time and place which heretofore had not been seen, and shows it in a richly detailed way, is probably what brings this film so damn close to greatness. It also sports a stunning performance by Daniel Day-Lewis as one of the most vile villains around also makes this something I really want to like. However, when one considers that the film’s main storyline is a pretty standard revenge story is the first thing that brings you down off your high, and the storytelling in here can be really laggy and at times boring. Also, Cameron Diaz is almost as bad in it as Day-Lewis is good. Ultimately, the movie is more interested in exploring its world than it is in telling a good and effective story, and that’s why this is only number 100.

There'll be two more announcements today (hopefully one around noon and one in the evening), and three a day for the next 33 days.

Last edited by Dracula; 07-20-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Dracula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Tornado
Mad Man

You haven't seen any Pixar films? You should get on that.
Let me tell you, I know you don't want to listen to your father, I didn't listen to mine, and I am telling you you gotta pay attention this time. When life reaches out at a moment like this it's a sin if you don't reach back, I'm telling you its a sin if you don't reach back! It'll haunt you the rest of your days like a curse.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Dracula
Bloodgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
You haven't seen any Pixar films? You should get on that.
Not interested.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Finding Nemo and Cars were my favorite one but best one is Up as far as Pixar goes this decade.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Tornado
Mad Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Not interested.
That's too bad. You're missing out.
Let me tell you, I know you don't want to listen to your father, I didn't listen to mine, and I am telling you you gotta pay attention this time. When life reaches out at a moment like this it's a sin if you don't reach back, I'm telling you its a sin if you don't reach back! It'll haunt you the rest of your days like a curse.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

timecrimes was pretty awesome if i remember correctly.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
ViRUs
All for one and one for all!

Send a message via AIM to ViRUs Send a message via Yahoo to ViRUs

So we're getting two top 100 lists at the same time?

That means I'm on top of my game and it dont stop `til my hip dont hop anymore.

When you so good you cant say it, `cause it aint even cool for you to sound cocky anymore.
ViRUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Yes and anyone can do there own list if wanna. I opened for that purpose. But if rather just see mine and Dracula's list and how very different they will likely be. Mean that in a good way.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
Dracula
Bloodgod

The Top 100 Films of the 2000s
Presented by Dracula

List so Far:
100. Gangs of New York (2002)

#99 X-Men 2 (2003)

Director: Bryan Singer
Writer(s): Michael Dougherty, Dan Harris, and David Hayter
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Brian Cox, Alan Cumming.
Release Date: 5/2/2003
Distributor: 20th Century Fox
Budget: $110 Million
Worldwide Box Office: $407 million
Metacritic: 68

Aside from ambitious but flawed epics, these bottom ten spots have also become the domain of extremely effective genre films that are great at what they’re trying to be, but which just lack the weight to really get much higher on the list. And that’s pretty much the definition of how I view X-Men 2 in the context of this list.

Bryan Singer’s film probably doesn’t get as many mentions as some of the other comic book films that are higher on the list, but I think it really raised the bar for the whole genre, and this might be because it was the first one to not have to tackle with a tired origin story. From its kinetic opening Nightcrawler scene, to the great Blackbird chase scene, to the extended climax at a seemingly abandoned facility on an Alaskan dam, the film managed to top both the action and production design of Raimi’s first Spider-Man film. The political overtones of both the civil rights movement and about the current struggle for GLBT rights adds a certain gravitas to the proceedings, but for the most part this is simply a great example of how to make an action/effects vehicle in the 21st Century.

Last edited by Dracula; 07-20-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Dracula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Number 99 i would figure it would be higher considering most people liked X-Men 2 out of all the x-men films.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
Tornado
Mad Man

Sure, but it's still an X-Men movie.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
Starwars411
Darth Smith

Tornado, I love your avatar.

I might consider doing a Top 100. I'll probably just do it as like 4 separate lists (100-76; 75-51; 50-26; 25-1) with no pictures.

Last edited by Starwars411; 01-02-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Starwars411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
Jack
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Documentaries are not eligible, short films are not eligible.

Also, I have not seen the following movies: Ballast, Beau Travail, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Dogville, A Christmas Tale, Climates, Days of Glory, The Fast Runner, Gommorah, Good Bye Dragon Inn, The Grey Zone, Hard Candy, Anything Harry Potter, Hunger, I Am Legend, Inland Empire, Lust Caution, Moolaade, Anything Pixar, Silent Light, The Son, Starting Out in the Evening, Syndrome and a Century, Timecrimes, Wendy and Lucy, Werckmeister Harmonies, Where the Wild Things Are, or The White Ribbon.
So don't expect any of them on the list, and if I should see any of them while revealing the list I'm still not changing it, this thing is locked in.

So, without further ado, let's start this thing.
No docs or Pixar eh? That's cool. Those are some excellent films you haven't seen. I especially recommend checking out Silent Light, A Christmas Tale, Gommorah, The Son, and Wendy and Lucy sometime. Really looking forward to the rest of yours. I know it is a daunting task. I'll start posting mine soon.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
ViRUs
All for one and one for all!

Send a message via AIM to ViRUs Send a message via Yahoo to ViRUs

Man, I might try to make a top 100 eventually.

That means I'm on top of my game and it dont stop `til my hip dont hop anymore.

When you so good you cant say it, `cause it aint even cool for you to sound cocky anymore.
ViRUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #16
donny
Over The Line

I've thought about making one, but it always seems like to much work, which isn't my style. So, I just let other people make them while I sit back and enjoy the show.
donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

100 Kung Fu Panda.

99 Die Another day.

I know many hated this bond movie but i consider it the last Bond film done in the way we as classic bond remember it with All the humor that was part of Bond.
I like the new films fine and they are further up on the list but i feel Brosnan was always meant to be Bond and since its the last Brosnan Bond i figure this is as good a place as any to put this film.
Its obviously not the best Bond film but it is not that bad a film compared to some other money making this decade films.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #18
sniktawt
Hammer!!

Send a message via AIM to sniktawt Send a message via MSN to sniktawt Send a message via Yahoo to sniktawt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVader 2004 View Post
Finding Nemo and Cars were my favorite one but best one is Up as far as Pixar goes this decade.
Dracula, you are missing out, All the Pixar films this decade were really good movies and way above standard kiddy fare, I think you would be really surprised and would probably really like Wall-E if you saw it lol. My favorite Pixar film of the 2000's is by far, The Incredibles, This is the movie that the Fantastic Four wishes it was. Even though it's not based on an actual comic but no doubt is an homage to the Fantastic Four, The Incredibles is probably the best superhero film this decade, i felt somewhat better than the also Awesome X2. Btw, I'm surprised that Drac even has something as commercial as X2 on his list tho.

Last edited by sniktawt; 01-02-2010 at 05:45 PM.
sniktawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #19
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

I really did not like the Bronsen Bond films.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #20
Dracula
Bloodgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniktawt View Post
Dracula, you are missing out, All the Pixar films this decade were really good movies and way above standard kiddy fare, I think you would be really surprised and would probably really like Wall-E if you saw it lol. My favorite Pixar film of the 2000's is by far, The Incredibles, This is the movie that the Fantastic Four wishes it was. Even though it's not based on an actual comic but no doubt is an homage to the Fantastic Four, The Incredibles is probably the best superhero film this decade, i felt somewhat better than the also Awesome X2.
I simply do not and never have cared about any children's movies. Kids annoy me, I don't find them charming and their love of bright colors and talking animals is not charming to me. I made the mistake of blieveing all this hype about children's movies for adults when I sat through Shrek, and I'm not making the mistake again. And, yes, I know that the Pixar movies are supposed to be different than that, but I don't care, I just don't see myself taking anything very seriously when their idea of a villain is this\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniktawt View Post
Btw, I'm surprised that Drac even has something as commercial as X2 on his list tho.
Hey, I'm a geek at heart, just because I know a lot about François Truffaut doesn't mean I can't dig a good superhero movie. I may be a bit of "movie snob" compared to some of the people around here but compared to someone like Manohla Dargis I'm downright mainstream.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #21
unity768
Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to unity768

A person who says 2001 is their favorite movie must give WALL-E a shot.
unity768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #22
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Dracula can like whatever he wants. I not a big fan of Pixar or Dreamworks ANimation at times. I liked a select few. I like 2d the best and my guess is Dracula like some prefer more 2d animated films.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #23
Dracula
Bloodgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by unity768 View Post
A person who says 2001 is their favorite movie must give WALL-E a shot.
The robot in 2001 wasn't very cute, and he didn't get into any slapstick antics like the wall-e robot apears to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVader 2004 View Post
Dracula can like whatever he wants. I not a big fan of Pixar or Dreamworks ANimation at times. I liked a select few. I like 2d the best and my guess is Dracula like some prefer more 2d animated films.
Animation has nothing to do with it, I just don't like children's films in any medium.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #24
unity768
Executive Producer

That villain in the incredibles is a complex villian. His character recalls the theme of childhood heroes and how some heroes are only illusions of their symbol, not a representation.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #25
unity768
Executive Producer

To me and many others WALL-E is darker than most horror films. All it takes is a viewing.