The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Movies Coming Soon

Old 05-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
-HR-
Executive Producer

Default Halcyon Company Acquires Terminator Franchise - A new Terminator trilogy is coming!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20301

Source: The Halcyon Company
May 10, 2007

The Halcyon Company announced today the acquisition of all the "Terminator" franchise rights. These rights include the right to produce any future "Terminator" films, as well as all future merchandising and licensing rights, certain future revenues derived from Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, as well as certain rights in the television project "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" and the sole right to produce all future "Terminator" projects in any new or existing media.

The Halcyon Company is a recently formed, privately financed, film development, production and financing company, headed by co-CEOs Derek Anderson and Victor Kubicek. "The 'Terminator' franchise represents by far the most popular and successful franchise not owned by a major studio," said Mr. Kubicek. "While we have several other projects in the works, we see this global franchise as a cornerstone of Halcyon's future business plans."

Terminator 4 will be based on a script by John Brancato and Michael Ferris and is envisioned to be the first film in a new "Terminator" trilogy. Halcyon plans to immediately begin pre-production on the new film. While as yet no distribution agreement has been set, Halcyon anticipates that "T4" will be ready for release in the first half of 2009, if not earlier.

Moritz Borman, the Executive Producer of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines as well as the then-CEO of Intermedia Films (the co-production financial partner for "T3"), is slated to produce the new Terminator 4 film as well as being an integral member of the branding and licensing team. Kubicek and Anderson will co-produce.

Moritz Borman stated, "With 'T3,' we included many incidental details and plot points that, along with the main narrative, set the stage for an entirely new set of inter-related stories covering the future adventures of John Connor and the Terminators. This new 'Terminator' trilogy will build upon the already huge worldwide Terminator fan base, which was both revitalized and expanded with the global success of 'T3.'"

Anderson said, "We also plan to maximize the potential of the 'Terminator' franchise by entering into strategic relationships with world class merchandising and licensing partners. By quickly pursuing and finalizing these new opportunities, we are confident that all of these ventures can be completed in time to fully maximize their value by coinciding with the first of the new 'Terminator's' release."

Anderson continued, "In addition to Moritz Borman, Peter D. Graves, who will be an Executive Producer on the film, was an integral part of the acquisition team. He will also continue to provide executive consulting services to The Halcyon Company as well as spearhead all aspects of the 'Terminator' marketing program. Alan Schwartz, Randy Paul and Vincent Chieffo of Greenberg Traurig represented Halcyon in the transaction and were critical to its successful completion. Alan Schwartz and the Greenberg Traurig firm will continue to provide ongoing legal counsel to The Halcyon Company."

The most recent film of the multi-billion dollar "Terminator" franchise, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, was released domestically by Warner Bros. Pictures and internationally (excluding Japan and Korea) by Sony Pictures. This film generated over $450 million in worldwide box office, breaking numerous box office records around the world. The film went on to even greater success in its ancillary markets worldwide.

The Halcyon Company is a recently established, privately funded, independent film development, production and financing company founded by Victor Kubicek and Derek Anderson. Anderson and Kubicek plan to produce a portion of Halcyon's future output with the balance of the company's pipeline, expected to be produced in conjunction with other established producers and production entities in the industry.

Kubicek and Anderson both come from financial and creative backgrounds. Prior to co-founding Halcyon, Anderson was the founder and creative director of In the Mix, a boutique marketing and advertising agency, which was sold in 2000. Kubicek began his career in finance as a member of The American Stock Exchange and produced The Halcyon Company's first feature film Cook-Off!, which recently won an HBO Aspen Comedy Festival award.

Moritz Borman has produced more than twenty films, most recently including Oliver Stone's World Trade Center and Alexander. Until 2005 he was Chairman and CEO of Intermedia Films, which he took public in 2000.

Peter D. Graves is one of the top industry marketing consultants. Formerly President of Marketing for PolyGram Films, Graves has been directly responsible for, or consulted on, the marketing and release of over 200 titles including "Terminator 3"; The Perfect Storm; Braveheart; Fargo; The Score; Elizabeth; The Game; Dead Man Walking; The Usual Suspects; and Four Weddings and a Funeral.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

How many ways can we spell the word "tank?"

Seriously, this is the one franchise that people can't leave alone, but they should. It's such a successful yet delicate franchise, because it would be so so easy to screw up. And for the record, nobody is going to want to watch this without Arnold. Arnold IS the Terminator franchise. It's like making a Rocky movie without Stallone.....or Rocky. I'm not too worried, because people will still be able to appreciate the greatness of T1 and T2, but these movies are gonna be awful, plain and simple.
Doomsday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

can someone post a link to the companies website?

and id agree doomsday but i just love robots killing humans... and vice versa....
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HR- View Post
Anderson said, "We also plan to maximize the potential of the 'Terminator' franchise by entering into strategic relationships with world class merchandising and licensing partners.
Oh, thank goodness.

60 out of 65 Hugo Award winners completed.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
Movie mogul
Legend

Damn...more recycling
Movie mogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:21 PM   #6
SnoBorderZero
There is no bathroom

Send a message via AIM to SnoBorderZero

I really really liked the first 3, and maybe a 4th wouldn't be awful, but a whole nother 3?? Disaster.
SnoBorderZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
André
Boxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
How many ways can we spell the word "tank?"

Seriously, this is the one franchise that people can't leave alone, but they should. It's such a successful yet delicate franchise, because it would be so so easy to screw up. And for the record, nobody is going to want to watch this without Arnold. Arnold IS the Terminator franchise. It's like making a Rocky movie without Stallone.....or Rocky. I'm not too worried, because people will still be able to appreciate the greatness of T1 and T2, but these movies are gonna be awful, plain and simple.
Im ok with this. I meen, nothing is gonna live up to T1 and T2's greatness. But at least we can have some mindless action which is labeled "a new trilogy" and which then wont **** up the old one like T3 did.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
Fanible
FanFreakinTastic

Send a message via AIM to Fanible

T3 was a massive disappointment to me, and probably was too long in waiting. Not to mention it should have never been made without James Cameron, period.

It was still watchable at least. While I don't like the idea of making more, maybe the new television series will change my mind. Then again, no matter which direction it goes, no doubt I'll be the film sucker that I am and see the new films when they release anyway.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
ambrosia
Aiming To Misbehave

I agree with Fanible.

While Arnie was and forever will be THE Terminator, James Cameron was the man who made him the terminator. Without either of these ingredients, the result ain't going to be pretty.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #10
SnoBorderZero
There is no bathroom

Send a message via AIM to SnoBorderZero

Can you imagine The Rock as the Terminator instead? It would be awful. Cheesy one liners from Arnold are what popularized the series from the start. Hollywood is just trying to kill these franchises.
SnoBorderZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:40 AM   #11
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

I think Sarah Connor chronicles is going to be pretty amazing.

Since James Cameron is involved.

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
SouthsideX300
Dead Memories

A Terminator as the rock would be horrible. But i heard that they have secured to use any type of arnold in these films. So his likeness and CGI'ed faces can be used. What always got me pumped was the beginning of t2 that showed the humans and Terminators at war on a battlefield. We'll see what happens.
SouthsideX300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
Steve from Indy
Executive Producer

I'm skeptical, but I'll reserve judgment. I just wish people would stop rehashing old ideas.
Steve from Indy is offline   Reply With Quote