The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > FRANCHISES & GENRES > Comic Book Adaptations

Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #201
tubehead
Executive Producer

i been watching ithink ti more aciton packed then smallviille. also is any one watching the new beauty and the beast series? i know Kristin Kreuk plays the lead role. i was wondering if any smallville fans tuned in?
tubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #202
Neverending
sex

Arrow

1.06 LEGACIES
Oliver takes a break from white collar criminals to stop a family that resorted to robbing banks after Oliver's father had fired the breadwinner years earlier. Overall, it's a great change of pace and opens the door for more of these types of episodes once the series has been on the air for a while and is in need of fresh ideas.

***/****

1.07 MUSE OF FIRE
In this Geoff Johns penned episode, Oliver finds a kindered spirit. He becomes attracted to the daughter of a mob boss, who like Oliver, is trying to fix all the damage done by her family. It's a solid episode. I loved it.

**** / ****

1. Pilot
2. Muse of Fire
3. An Innocent Man
4. Lone Gunmen
5. Damaged
6. Legacies
7. Honor Thy Father
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #203
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Muse of Fire was okay. An episode where they finally ditched the unnecessary narration. I enjoyed it. Action was inconsistent for the first time this year.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #204
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief117 View Post
An episode where they finally ditched the unnecessary narration.
There was also no flashback to the Island. I bet by next season this is what most episodes will look like.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #205
MasterChief117
The Batman

I hope so. The Arrow creator says that he is hoping that Batman might make an appearance.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
Old 12-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #206
Neverending
sex

That will never happen. Smallville tried for 10 years and it was a lost cause.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #207
flottanna
Executive Producer

So far the show is pretty good. A lot better then the current Green Arrow monthly.
flottanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #208
Neverending
sex

Thumbs up

1.08 VENDETTA

Once again, Arrow reminds us why it's the Anti-Smallville. In one single episode, Ollie turns his new gal pal into the muthaf---in' Huntress, gets dumped by her as she goes in a solo crusade, and then has to stop her from killing her own father. Damn! This episode is exciting, dramatic, and just..... awesome!

****/ ****

1. Vendetta
2. Pilot
3. Muse of Fire
4. An Innocent Man
5. Lone Gunmen
6. Damaged
7. Legacies
8. Honor Thy Father
Old 12-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #209
MasterChief117
The Batman

I'm two episodes behind now. ****.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #210
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

I'm three behind.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #211
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

I'm always upto date.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #212
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

I haven't watched since the first
"I don't...Am I speaking Russian? How come I'm speaking Russian?"
Ramplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #213
Hoilett
Banned Status

I am completely behind. haven't seen a single episode of Arrow or Beauty and The Beast...man it looks like I am missing out. I need to slow down, step away from the drawing table and breathe a little air of reality around me.
Hoilett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #214
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!

Just watched the first two episodes.

My thoughts so far:

I generally am really liking it. I think the action and choreography are quite good. My biggest concern based on the first two episodes is that it seems like it might be turning into a "evil millionaire of the week" plotline thing. Both of the first two evil millionaires were basically the exact same person and had the exact same (one dimensional) personality and role. I'd like to see a little more uniqueness from those two guys. Like, maybe someone who hurts the city by using unethical (but legal) business practices and doesn't murder people so we can see a bit of grey.

Some thoughts on the characters:

Oliver: I like him so far. Despite my "evil millionaire of the week" complaint I like the fact that they're using his personality characteristic of "social justice" and he's not just taking out average criminals (which is why I hope they introduce businessmen who are evil and unethical without necessarily also being murderers or criminals). I'm very, very interested in seeing what happened on the island, and who that first Green Arrow guy on the island was. In any case I realized I really liked the character because whenever someone judges or chastises him I kind of roll my eyes and take his side, especially since he has just been through five years of hell on a deserted island and no one really seems to cut him any slack despite that. The only thing I don't like about him is how much of a jerk he is to his new stepdad.

Laurel: Not really feeling her so far. I mean I know she's pissed that he cheated on her with her sister, but it's not fair to blame him for her death (he obviously had nothing to do with that). And if they were close beforehand she should probably have at least some degree of sympathy for all that he's been through. Don't see her so far as a potential Black Canary, but we do have plenty of time left.

Tommy: I really liked him for most of the pilot. He seemed to be the only person that cut Oliver some slack (you know, considering he was lost on an island for five years and almost certainly watched his father die in front of him) and actually seemed to sympathize with him. He's also pretty funny. I didn't like the reveal that he's been dating Laurel because I was hoping Oliver would have at least one person who is truly on his side. That being said, he had every reason to start dating her so I can't really judge, and he redeemed himself a lot in episode 2 when he said the reason he wasn't revealing it to Oliver wasn't because of some sense of shame but because he wanted to protect Oliver and not hurt him since Oliver has "been through a lot." Thank you! Why is he the only character who acknowledges that Oliver has been through a harrowing experience and is sensitive and caring about it instead of immediately being judgmental about it and guilt tripping Oliver over everything?

Thea: She is kind of annoying. At least Laurel has the whole "cheating on her, sort of involved with sister's death" thing. I really don't see any reason why Thea should be pissed at him. OK, so he threw away some of her drugs, but that should probably be a minor point compared to the fact that your brother came back from the dead, especially as it seems they used to be close. I hated in the pilot where she almost seemed accusatory at saying "No, you DIED" as if it was his fault. The scene in the second episode where she shows him his gravestone and says "I felt closer to you when you were dead" was absolutely cruel. I know she wants him to "open up" about what happened on the island, but come on, he JUST got back, can't you give him some time? It would be one thing if the show was saying that she's wrong because she's so immature, but it seems from the tone of these scenes that the writers agree with her. That being said, I like the fact that they gave him a (non-evil) family member so he isn't some loner with no family left to his own devices. It gives a good dynamic to the show and helps differentiate him from Batman. And I do hope she matures and eventually becomes his sidekick, because I think that would be a cool dynamic.

Diggle: Best character. I love how he doesn't tolerate BS and kicks ass. He was totally awesome in taking down the triad members in the second episode. It seems like he has pretty much figured out that Oliver is Green Arrow, so hopefully he becomes the Arrow's confidant and accomplice.

Walter: He also seems pretty cool. I can understand why Oliver (given that he was obviously very close to his father) is somewhat resentful of a new stepdad, but I'm not really sure why he keeps throwing the fact that Walter used to be his father's CFO in his face. It's not like being the CFO to a guy who runs a company is automatically some sort of close personal relationship. If he was Robert's best friend that would be one thing and I can see why that would be seen as some sort of betrayal but that doesn't really seem to be the case.

Moira: Another great character. I love the fact that they kept Oliver's mother alive so that he could have some sort of family, like I said with Thea it adds an interesting dynamic and helps differentiate him from Batman. But what I really love is the fact that it's revealed that she was behind his kidnapping in the pilot, and then in episode 2 that she also had a hand in the ship being sabotaged (and thus revealing that for some reason she wanted/needed her husband dead so badly that she didn't mind killing her own son in the process as well. Now that's a great evil villain). That has so much fascinating potential. Along with learning about what happened on the island, that's the storyline I'm most excited about. I definitely don't remember any superhero story where the character's own mother was a "big bad" and am excited for the potential.

Quentin: Unlike several other characters I actually don't blame him at all for judging Oliver so much, considering he cheated on Quentin's daughter and I can see a father why he wouldn't be rational about his daughter's death and would blame anyone involved. I was slightly disappointed in episode 2 when the Green Arrow helped him out by putting Millionaire #2 in jail for him by getting the confession, and then instead of being grateful he said Arrow must be stopped blah blah blah. I can understand if he was less than appreciative if it was just some criminal that didn't have a personal connection, but Millionaire #2 was trying to kill Quentin's own daughter! And the cops previously had no way of stopping him! You would think that appreciation over saving his daughter's life would outweigh his moral judgment about "vigilantism." I mean it would be one thing if Arrow killed him, but all he did was get a confession out of him so the justice system could sentence him properly. Also, I think it would have been way more interesting if Quentin hated Oliver Queen but supported the Green Arrow, that could have been a very interesting dichotomy. Although I guess that would sort of make him a cross between Flash Thompson and James Gordon. That being said, I really like the actor and think he's killed it in his scenes so far, especially his scene with Millionaire #2 in the second episode.

In any case despite my complaints about certain characters (which I'm not going to take to heart too much until I see more) I'm really liking this so far. Definitely more than enough to keep me interested.

Last edited by bbf2; 02-03-2013 at 01:47 AM.
bbf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #215
tubehead
Executive Producer

if you have comcast arrow is On Demand
tubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #216
Neverending
sex

The show got renewed for a 2nd season.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #217
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

Good. I was waiting to hear it's fate. I really like this show and want it to grow and progress.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:43 AM   #218
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
I was waiting to hear it's fate.
Next to Revolution it's the most successful new show of the season. Getting renewed was a given.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #219
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Thought last night's episode was REALLY good. Definitely one of my favorites so far this season.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #220
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!

I have to say I'm kind of dreading the fact that we are now going to be spending a decent amount of screentime on a romance between teenagers. I know it's the CW but so far the show has mostly focused on superhero stuff and non-romantic drama and felt very un-CW like. And to have it be "rich girl falls in love with misunderstood lower class badboy" is just...ugh. I didn't even really mind the Tommy/Laurel romantic stuff (even though that plotline is ultimately kind of pointless) because I thought the writers did a good job having them both act like reasonable adults. But a teen angst romance storyline, especially one with such a cliche spin, is something I'm not looking forward to at all. It would have been so much more interesting for Oliver to be the one to meet Roy first and try to mentor him or something.

Also, based on what we've seen so far I really can't think of any way the writers could possibly come around to having him and Oliver becoming friends, much less teammates. If my little sister started dating some lowlife petty criminal that acted like a douchebag and who she first met because he stole something from her, there is absolutely zero way I would ever become friends with that person no matter how compelling his sob story is.

Although I guess I am sort of glad they're giving her someone her own age to date. After episode 6 I thought they were trying to set up the possibility of her ending up with Tommy, which I found totally wrong and disturbing.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #221
Neverending
sex

I'm like 5 or 6 episodes behind, so I haven't encountered any of this teen angst stuff. Although I'm so used to it because of Smallville that I probably won't even blink when I finally do see it.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:58 AM   #222
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
I'm like 5 or 6 episodes behind, so I haven't encountered any of this teen angst stuff. Although I'm so used to it because of Smallville that I probably won't even blink when I finally do see it.
In all fairness, there actually hasn't been much teen angst yet, I'm just dreading the potential possibility of it. And what we've been shown so far is not even in the same realm of terribleness as "Lana and Clark are in the barn and the writers treat her as a perfect human and she chews Clark out for stupid and petty reasons."

Last edited by bbf2; 02-27-2013 at 02:23 AM.
bbf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #223
Alien
Space traveler

Send a message via MSN to Alien

I'm really getting annoyed with Thea "Speedy" Queen. Her top lip seems to be paralised giving her a lisp. That alone shouldn't bother me since I have a lisp and I should be, "Represent gril!" but I'm really not.

She also has a mole on her lip that just makes me notice that he doesn't seem to move it at all. I do like that Moira Queen has the same mole but I'd rather neither had it.

But mainly, why did they call her Speedy if they have introduced Roy Harper in season 1? I guess if they ever manage to get Roy as his side kick, which could be cool, he'll jump right to Red Arrow. Or he could use the name Arsenal, but that is a stupid superhero name, as Young Justice pointed out a few weeks ago.
I always flirt with death
I could be killed, but I don't care about it
Je suis le roi des Dauphins!
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #224
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!

I absolutely loved this plot – it’s actually better for pretty much everyone if the hero fails at his goal and the “villains” win, because of information the hero doesn't have that the audience does.

Ridiculous that they used the old cliché of “the Spanish speaker speaks entirely in English except he uses ‘Gracias’ instead of thank you to let you know where he comes from.”

Laurel making a reference to her father buying a canary was pretty cheesy.

The dialogue between Oliver and Tommy at the restaurant was great, they’re doing a great job giving the characters dialogue that actually seems like it would occur between mature adults. That being said I’m not sure why Oliver took someone who didn’t know his secret out to dinner with him while he was inspecting the Mafia front restaurant instead of taking Diggle or dining alone, however. Seems like they should have split those scenes up – Oliver eats with Tommy somewhere else and then crashes the Chinese restaurant later. And the fact he didn’t wear a mask and the henchman thought he must be a Chinese man because of the lack of accent is ridiculous. He was two inches in front of your face! Even in the darkness he should have seen that the guy was white. All of this could have been solved if Oliver just brought some sort of mask.

I’ve mostly thought Tommy seemed kind of pointless so far but he was great in this episode. The scenes with him and Oliver and him and his father (even though they look like they’re the same age) were great. Was definitely not expecting him to discover Oliver’s identity this early.

I’ve never seen her in anything else, but great casting on Laurel’s mom. The resemblance between her and Katie Cassidy is striking. She looked like a spitting image of what Katie Cassidy might look like in 25 years or so.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #225
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf2 View Post
I’ve never seen her in anything else, but great casting on Laurel’s mom. The resemblance between her and Katie Cassidy is striking. She looked like a spitting image of what Katie Cassidy might look like in 25 years or so.
That was exactly my first thought when that actress came on-screen.