The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > FRANCHISES & GENRES > Star Wars

Old 02-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #601
todd philip
Knowhatamean

You would think Williams would like to retire eventually, he is in his eighties after all. But if he can pull it off, I say great.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #602
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd philip View Post
You would think Williams would like to retire eventually, he is in his eighties after all. But if he can pull it off, I say great.
Considering that the soundtracks were the only good thing to come out of the prequels, I'm all for Williams continued participation in the Star Wars saga.
Wyldstaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #603
Neverending
Ducks

It would make more sense for Michael Giacchino to take over. John Williams is 81, probably 83 by the time Episode 7 is complete, so even if he were to score the movie, he'll probably not be around for Episodes 8 and 9. So, it's better for Giacchino to create consistancy among the trilogy instead of coming in half-way through.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #604
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Maybe Hans Zimmer be a good back up for Disney likes to use Zimmer and maybe he could take over on 8 and co compose with Williams on 7.
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #605
Justin
Executive Producer

Giacchino is a good choice, anyway. I've liked all of his soundtracks so far.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #606
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader 2004 View Post
Maybe Hans Zimmer be a good back up for Disney likes to use Zimmer and maybe he could take over on 8 and co compose with Williams on 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Giacchino is a good choice, anyway.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #607
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader 2004 View Post
Or maybe Elton John - he did a bang up job on The Lion King soundtrack.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #608
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Why not Kenny G?

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #609
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

I am serious Hans Zimmer is good and while Giacc**** is a JJ dude I'd still rather have Zimmer or a 95 year old Williams.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #610
JBond
Beyond

While it's a unique game to figure out how you spelled his name, I must admit I have failed.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #611
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

I can spell Giacchino just fine I was misspelling it on purpose.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #612
Justin
Executive Producer

Uh, okay then.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #613
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

I know that sounded a bit snotty but I at times can spell right its just sometimes Names of People mess me up because I just go by ear and sometimes I am wrong.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #614
Fanible
FanFreakinTastic

Send a message via AIM to Fanible

Soo... what did you write? Or what were you intending it to sound like with that censored part?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #615
Bane
Executive Producer

Pretty sure he went with **** and got censored
Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #616
Neverending
Ducks

Yeah, he wrote Michael Giacc--k, which is just plain stupid. Anyway, let's ignore the troll and get back on subject. Did you guys notice that John Williams name dropped George Lucas? Is he not aware that Lucas is no longer involved with the series and he sold the company to Disney? If Williams is that out of the loop then it's best to just let him continue his semi-retirement.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #617
true fan11212
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
Yeah, he wrote Michael Giacc--k, which is just plain stupid. Anyway, let's ignore the troll and get back on subject. Did you guys notice that John Williams name dropped George Lucas? Is he not aware that Lucas is no longer involved with the series and he sold the company to Disney? If Williams is that out of the loop then it's best to just let him continue his semi-retirement.
They could just put him in the loop and still hire him. Anyway, I want Williams to come back. His music is an essential part of the franchise and if he's willing to do more, I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to. I love Giacchino's work, however, so he'd be the best substitute.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #618
FailedEagle
Director

Quote:
The rumor that Harrison Ford had signed on to return as Han Solo in the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII started last week, but Mark Hamill now says that he and the other original stars have not officially signed on for the film. They are talking to Lucasfilm about it, however.

"They're talking to us," he said in an interview with Entertainment Tonight. "George [Lucas] wanted to know whether we'd be interested. He did say that if we didn't want to do it, they wouldn't cast another actor in our parts – they would write us out. … I can tell you right away that we haven't signed any contracts. We're in the stage where they want us to go in and meet with Michael Arndt, who is the writer, and Kathleen Kennedy, who is going to run Lucasfilm. Both have had meetings set that were postponed -- on their end, not mine. They're more busy than I am."

Hamill says in the interview that he doesn't know what he film will be about officially, but based on his tone, it would appear he knows more than he is letting on.

"I'm assuming, because I haven't talked to the writers, that these movies would be about our offspring -- like my character would be sort of in the Obi-Wan range [as] an influential character. … When I found out [while making the original trilogy] that ultimate good news/bad news joke – the good news is there's a real attractive, hot girl in the universe; the bad news is she's your sister – I thought, 'Well, I'm going to wind up like Sir Alec [Guinness]. I'm going to be a lonely old hermit living out in some kind of desert igloo with a couple of robots.'"

Also with the rumors of Ford returning in full swing, Hamill mentioned that he thinks everyone should come back for the film rather than just one actor, adding fuel to the fire that he knows more than he's saying.

"Another thing I'd want to make sure of is are we going to have the whole gang back? Is Carrie and Harrison and Billy Dee and Tony Daniels, everybody that's around from the original [returning]? I want to make sure that everybody's on board here, rather than just one."

Hamill also mentioned the direction he thought the film should go in terms of tone and its special effects use, and it makes sense to us.

"I said to George that I wanted to go back to the way it was, in the sense that ours was much more carefree and lighthearted and humorous – in my opinion, anyway....hope they find the right balance of CGI with practical effects. I love props, I love models, miniatures, matte paintings -- I'm sort of old school. I think if you go too far in the direction of CGI it winds up looking like just a giant a video game, and that's unfortunate. … If they listen to me at all, it'll be, 'Lighten up and go retro with the way it looks.'"
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movie...KsYKKrzMJD8.99
Yes, let's get back to basics. Also, let's get the gang back together. :/Sarcasm:

Look, I love Star Wars as much as the next guy. I grew up on it like most of us did. The Prequels were a big letdown, obviously, but the expectations were so high that they never could have met them. Looking at the films independent of the original, they were fine if not good movies. However, it's a new generation and a new audience that they are trying to appeal to. We are in the era of dark and gritty film making which is certainly better than the Schumaker age (that is to say "silly" and/or "campy"). I guess what I'm getting at is, while we embrace the original trilogy, putting someone like Abrams behind it is going to change the movie experience. Yes, he is the "king" of sci-fi right now and I loved what he did with Star Trek. What we don't want this to become is Superman Returns... We don't want all the homage and not a great starting point for the future. I trust Abrams, but Mark Hamill? Not so much...
FailedEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #619
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailedEagle View Post
Looking at the films independent of the original, they were fine if not good movies.
All credit lost with this statement - the PT was terrible. For further explanation, I refer you to the best review (although done with humor):

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

He makes a lot of good points throughout the review.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #620
JBond
Beyond

"...and Kevin Bacon."

Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #621
FailedEagle
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok Droppings View Post
All credit lost with this statement - the PT was terrible.
Again, I respectfully disagree. I think that if there were no original trilogy to compare it too, this trilogy would have done very well. Yes, it had Jar Jar Binks who was annoying, but he had a purpose (See kids). The SW 4-6 had C3P0 who was largely considered annoying by adults during that release, but he was a funny little robot who kids liked. Look, I'm not defending SW 1-3 because, again, they didn't live up to my expectations, but as I've matured, my expectations have shifted considerably from when I was a child. A lot of the letdown was nostalgia, plain and simple.
FailedEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #622
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanible View Post
Soo... what did you write? Or what were you intending it to sound like with that censored part?
I was going for Giacc$hit just cause on the day I got a Jesus face palm because like Hans Zimmers music over Giavonni here. I didn't like his Star Trek tune with JJ.
Most Star Trek purest i know didn't like JJ Star Trek.
Sure JJ could make a great new trilogy but the question is will he sign on another scifi saga and not do Episode 9.
Not trying to be a Troll its just really Let Williams do what he wants. Its like telling Christopher Lee no your too old to be an actor anymore.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #623
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailedEagle View Post
Again, I respectfully disagree. I think that if there were no original trilogy to compare it too, this trilogy would have done very well. Yes, it had Jar Jar Binks who was annoying, but he had a purpose (See kids). The SW 4-6 had C3P0 who was largely considered annoying by adults during that release, but he was a funny little robot who kids liked. Look, I'm not defending SW 1-3 because, again, they didn't live up to my expectations, but as I've matured, my expectations have shifted considerably from when I was a child. A lot of the letdown was nostalgia, plain and simple.
I'm going to have to also disagree - the prequels were terribly written, horribly acted and a complete mess on many levels. Lucas was so into the visuals that he really lost track of the entire feel of Star Wars in general.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #624
marvelman2006
Boom Operator

Quote:
I'm going to have to also disagree - the prequels were terribly written, horribly acted and a complete mess on many levels. Lucas was so into the visuals that he really lost track of the entire feel of Star Wars in general.
You know theres some truth to that statement. but then there are scenes sprinkled throughout those movies that worked for me. Like Qui-gon talking to anakin on the sand porch while taking his blood or the arena/clone battle in EP2 or the palpatine/ anakin opera conversation. I own all 6 movies on bluray but I can admit the prequels had way too much CGI for my taste, almost to the point that it became distracting. I know lucas was happy to use CGI and improve it from 99 - 05 but I really enjoy real sets like tatooine as opposed to every shot in EP3 where it was all blue screen. Your film looses its humanity alittle bit when the audience cant relate to the characters and enviroments around them.
marvelman2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #625
Bane
Executive Producer

Quote:
The Grand Poobah of POO has spoken.