The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: Rate "TRON: Legacy"
10 2 8.70%
9 3 13.04%
8 7 30.43%
7 3 13.04%
6 4 17.39%
5 0 0%
4 2 8.70%
3 1 4.35%
2 0 0%
1 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #76
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

I asked him because I've been trying to get my hands on a Blu-Ray copy from my friend at the video store I get my foriegn films from for two months now. They usually get their hands on the good stuff early.

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #77
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
I asked him because I've been trying to get my hands on a Blu-Ray copy from my friend at the video store I get my foriegn films from for two months now. They usually get their hands on the good stuff early.
Ahh, well unless he's changed his ways, I do believe he just finds them online. And I wish I had friends like that. Hahaha.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #78
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Anyone else agree the more you watch this film the better it gets. I mean I've seen this 3 times now and I absolutely love it!

I didn't really care for it that much when I first saw it but now I consider it one of my favorite films.

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #79
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Funny you post this, because it just started on Starz, lol. And yeah, I usually find myself watching it whenever I come across it on TV. It's a fun movie, and while not the best it could have been, it still holds up as a pretty good film. I wonder how long we'll have to wait this time for a sequel. I hope it's in my lifetime, lol.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #80
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

Yeah, while not a great movie, this does still hold up as a very solid sci-fi adventure.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #81
Neverending
Ducks

I loved it the first time I watched it.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #82
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

this is on my list of all time biggest disappointments. i put too much stock into the early light cycle footage. and daft punk was wasted in my opinion. wanted to love it... but i just couldn't.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #83
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Which was the bigger disappointment for you? Special Effects, Story, Characters, etc?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #84
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Lack of impact for me. I enjoyed the movie, but as a lasting effect, it had ZERO.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."

Last edited by MasterChief117; 04-12-2012 at 01:29 PM.
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #85
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

I can get behind that. It's always fun to watch, but it has zero afterthought for me.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #86
sshuttari

Well we all knew Franklin wasn't going to like it considering his previous posts...

Some of the effects, sound, and action set pieces were amazingly well put in my opinion and did have a lasting effect for me obviously.

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.

Last edited by sshuttari; 04-12-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #87
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

TRON: Legacy (2010)

I always say that it's ridiculous to praise a movie based on its technical and visual merits alone. I say that until that rare movie reminds me that I can be sucked into another world, too.

From the very start this movie captured my attention with its music. The first 15 minutes or so of the movie is the setup on plain old Earth before he goes into "The Grid," but something doesn't feel right. The music is forboding and nostalgic in a way that I can't explain. And as we enter The Grid, imagine how easy it would have been to score this movie with hard rock and abrasive techno. Instead, it's more like electronic-classical. It has a dance club taste to it at times, but it's soft and beautiful and very fitting for the epic special effects.

The special effects of the original TRON were groundbreaking, but by today stadards they're more of a joke for what special effects used to be. TRON: Legacy doesn't revolutionize special effects this time around, instead it implements them wonderfully with amazing photography. So many movies try to smother us with special effects with eye-splintering detail, clarity, motion and colors that it's really only impressive from a technical standpoint. TRON: Legacy uses only teal, orange and black to create a stunning world (and a simplistic good vs. evil color scheme...). There are many scenes to marvel at these effects, such as the arena scene, the lightcycles battle and some scenes near the end that show the immense size of this universe.

So what's holding this back from being a science fiction classic? That would be the script. The first 30 to 40 minutes of this movie are perfection; I find myself not even caring about the story. But as I start to get forced to pay attention, the poor choices start to emerge. It's a shame, too, because it had a lot of potential. What this movie had most going for it was the creation of a science fiction universe that's inwardly pointed instead of out in space which is the norm. This has been done in such movies as The Incredible Shrinking Man, Fantastic Voyage, The Abyss, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and most recently, Inception. These movies (even the sub-par Fantastic Voyage) are given free points by using this style because they're laying a fresh thematical canvas to work on. Completely opposite from Inception, which has a cold and calculating (and brilliant) script, TRON: Legacy doesn't bother us with how people can be digitized into a cybernetic society. Instead they made the correct choice to create a backstory and mythos involving two races inside The Grid. The fatal error they made was wasting precious time out of the alloted 120 minutes that movies get to "up the ante" and make the plot center around Clu and the evil cybermen trying to take over the Earth.

They made this mistake in Harry Potter and they REALLY made this mistake in John Carter. As far as I can remember, Narnia never made plans to take over our world. Ironically, while trying to make the movie more relatable to the audience by having OUR world threatened, they're admitting that THEIR world is inferior and unworthy of our devotion. This movie could really have been something if they took out all of the megalomania and made it about the races and factions inside the grid. For all the epic thought and scope that went into the physical universe and special effects, they just didn't have the courage to fill it with content. (What would this invasion of Earth even look like? Why would this relatively small bunch of people have the upper hand against the whole planet?)

The ending erases some of the bad taste left in the mouth from this thoughtless climax where Clu has an interesting confrontation with Flynn, the real human he was cloned from. There's a grace note of philosophical dialogue here that would have capped the movie perfectly if the body of the movie had backed it up.

***.5/****

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #88
sshuttari

I won't lie. Sometimes I think I love you JBond

Quote:

Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #89
Fanible
FanFreakinTastic

Send a message via AIM to Fanible

I love the look of the film. They got it almost dead on. It looked amazing. I just really hated that CGI head.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #90
Bane
Executive Producer

Red hot review.

Really enjoyed this movie. Did someone say the sequel has been shelved?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #91
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Great review, Jibbs, I couldn't agree more. Everytime it's on, I watch it for those reasons right there, but I can never get around to really backing it because of the story, as I said before. But everything else is amazing. Too bad, really. If they make a 3rd, they don't need to amaze us with better special effects. It's fine just the way it is now. All I want is a better story. A much better one.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #92
Mikey-Bizzle
Executive Producer

Only just watched this recently and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it
Mikey-Bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote