The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: Rate STOKER
10 0 0%
9 2 40.00%
8 2 40.00%
7 0 0%
6 1 20.00%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
0 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
saveus1011
Directive 4 (Classified)

Send a message via AIM to saveus1011 Send a message via Yahoo to saveus1011 Send a message via Skype™ to saveus1011
Default Stoker - Review Thread

Long form: http://www.shockya.com/news/2013/01/...-movie-review/

Short form: See it. Park Chan-wook is one of the finest filmmakers of this generation and his venture to more American fare couldn't be more grand. While it's not as smart as his previous works, his style makes you believe this is a masterpiece work. In lesser hands this would be something close to HOUSE AT THE END OF THE STREET, but Park's uncompromising style elevates it. Credit must be given to cinematographer Chung-hoon Chung and editor Nicolas De Toth for coming off as true masters of their forms.

It's not flawless, as Nicole Kidman sleepwalks until the very end of the picture, but STOKER is well worth your time, money, and attention.

9/10
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveus1011 View Post
Long form: http://www.shockya.com/news/2013/01/...-movie-review/

It's not flawless, as Nicole Kidman sleepwalks until the very end of the picture,
I've never expected or gotten much from her as an actress, and I usually enjoy her movies just fine. I'll have to check this one out.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
saveus1011
Directive 4 (Classified)

Send a message via AIM to saveus1011 Send a message via Yahoo to saveus1011 Send a message via Skype™ to saveus1011

She used to bring it for every movie she was in. Now she just coasts through. Definitely one of the weaker aspects of this movie.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Justin
Executive Loser

I'm working on my review today, but here's the gist of it:

Solid film. Chan-wook Park's direction is stellar, and like saveus' already stated, the cinematography and editing are two of the highlights. But some of the issues I have with the film is that the aesthetic seems like it's compensating for the weak material. Script-wise, it's nothing groundbreaking, nor is it particularly noteworthy. It's serviceable, I suppose. And yeah, Nicole Kidman is given virtually nothing to work with.

Rating: ***/*****
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
Dhamon22
High Flying Bird

Send a message via AIM to Dhamon22

Big respect for the director so I'm looking forward to seeing this.

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.com

@theredboxreport
Dhamon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Dhamon22
High Flying Bird

Send a message via AIM to Dhamon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Solid film. Chan-wook Park's direction is stellar, and like saveus' already stated, the cinematography and editing are two of the highlights. But some of the issues I have with the film is that the aesthetic seems like it's compensating for the weak material. Script-wise, it's nothing groundbreaking, nor is it particularly noteworthy. It's serviceable, I suppose. And yeah, Nicole Kidman is given virtually nothing to work with.
I agree with pretty much all of this but sounds like I was more invested in the character of India and how she relates to the characters around her. The script isn't great, especially the parts involving anything to do with her school, but the direction, cinematography, and editing are fantastic. Overall I thought it was a very solid atmospheric thriller.

8.5/10

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.com

@theredboxreport
Dhamon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #7
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

Watched this tonight, and loved it. I see everyone's point about the side characters being written weirdly, but I guess I didn't mind that so much because the film's whole tone is supposed to be weird, dark and off-putting. Where this film matters, it excels, and it drew me in more and more as it went along. Mia Wasikowska and Matthew Goode are chilling, not to mention I was genuinely invested in what was going on with them, and the style that director Chan-wook Park brings to the film is downright hypnotic at times.

****/****
Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I'm working on my review today, but here's the gist of it:

I'm too lazy to review this, so I am just going to steal yours since I agree with it word-for-word and also throw out a

6/10