The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: Rate THE LAST STAND
10 0 0%
9 1 14.29%
8 1 14.29%
7 3 42.86%
6 2 28.57%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
0 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
saveus1011
Directive 4 (Classified)

Send a message via AIM to saveus1011 Send a message via Yahoo to saveus1011 Send a message via Skype™ to saveus1011
Default The Last Stand - Review Thread

The long version - http://www.shockya.com/news/2013/01/...-movie-review/

The gist of it - What a return for Arnold. Smarter than you'd give it credit for, THE LAST STAND hits its tone perfectly and continues the Action Revolution that we're currently experiencing. It truly feels like Arnold never left, as he comfortably fits right back into the leading man role.

The action is fun, exciting, and it never lets up once things kick into high gear. Some fun deaths, and even action villain veteran Peter Stormare gives one of his most, hammiest, enjoyable performances in quite some time. Raise that glass for the Governator's return.

9/10
Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
FilmJerk
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap

sounds like couldnt ask for anything more from an Arnold movie cant wait
FilmJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

I am gonna see this next Weekend Cause ain't got the cash till then. May see it and Hansel and Gretel
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
nine1wing
Executive Producer

after watching the red band trailer for this and hearing the positive reviews I'm more than excited to watch this
nine1wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
nine1wing
Executive Producer

saw this with my dad yesterday, good funny arnold movie with some good shots in it, not bad for his first movie
nine1wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Neverending
Ducks

It opened in 8th place. Ouch! I guess between his stint as Governor, the scandals, and just plain getting old, audiences don't care about Arnie anymore.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

OR audiences simply don't appreciate simple action films paying homage to the 80s and would rather see Transformers or really bad horror movies called 'Mama'.

Everyone has been aware of the 'way' Arnold is. That has not changed anything.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
Justin
Executive Loser

Some people really don't care about these homages, though. I'm one of them. That's one time period that should be left in the past.

Granted, saveus has good taste, so I'll give it a shot eventually.

Last edited by Justin; 01-20-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

I liked I saw the devil or whatever, I could believe the action is well shot, but Arnold sucks. Nobody likes his schtick anymore.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Some people really don't care about these homages, though.
And even if you do like homages, aren't there one-too-many? Doesn't The Expendables make this movie irrelevant? Even if the movie is good, I think Arnold made a bad choice. He's a senior citizen that spent almost a decade destroying California. He just isn't believable as an action star anymore. Comedy might have been a better route for him. I've seen his interviews for The Last Stand. He can still be funny and charming.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
Justin
Executive Loser

Kindergarten Cop II?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Kindergarten Cop II?
Well, he is making that Twins movie called Triplets.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
carnage4u
The Bad Man

a few friends of mine did see this movie and thought it was just good simple fun. I did have others who skipped it because they could not care less about an Arnold movie at all.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -- Terry Pratchett
carnage4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

This movie looked flat out dumb, and I love action movies. I don't think it's an Arnold thing, if a movie came out that was a hard action movie and wasn't tongue in cheek a la Expendables then I would be on board. I think it's a combination of seeing an 'action movie' with Johnny Knoxville and Luis Guzman shooting Tommy guns and old WWII machine guns and Arnold falling through ceilings spouting old man quips and cars that drive faster than helicopters. It all looked really stupid and we have enough stupid action movies, especially ones that are full of winks and nods to the audience. For some reason people love that stuff but I'm completely tired of it which is why I couldn't stand Expendables 2.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

9/10? No where near that. But 7/10? Yeah, that's more like it. It was good simple fun, so I was satisfied.

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
docstop
Hockey Legend

I have the same sentiment and rating, Tolk. 7/10 for me. The movie was actually fairly realistic with regard to Arnold. He wasn't running around like a young guy, for example, when he fights Gabriel at the end on the bridge he didn't beat him with speed and agility it was all brute power which is what Arnold can still be realistically capable of. Some of the dialogue was tragically off and not funny but that didn't seem to matter. The Last Stand didn't try to do more than it was capable of and in staying in that direction I enjoyed what I saw a lot.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
FilmJerk
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap

Arnold could have delivered some of his lines better, but I guess thats just old Arnie. But the action was well done and shootouts were good too. Nothing but pure mindless fun
FilmJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #18
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

I love when people rip on Arnold for being a 'bad actor', was he known for being a good one? As someone who is a huge, HUGE Arnold Schwarzenegger fan, this is everything I want and more, especially at his age. It is a glorified 80s action film, remade for the new age. I HATED the digital violence, and the needless CG added in. Frankly annoying. Arnold just using his brute strength (which to me, he looks capable of) instead of using both speed/power (I think Commando or Predator) is genuine. His age is apparent, and they constantly make note of it but never lean on it. I liked this movie, could've been better but it's fun. Not to mention, I had a hot date...so...also, WTF was up with Peter Stormare? hahaha

C+
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
Hollywood
Executive Producer

Just saw last night, i rate 6/10. It was ok but not great. I thought jhonny knoxville was gona have more parts in the movie and have a few more humor. But was very limited on his humor. Arnold did alright. If your wanting to see this, it can wait till rental. Not worth going to the theater or buying on dvd/blue ray. Just rent it.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
SnoBorderZero
There is no bathroom

Send a message via AIM to SnoBorderZero

"The Last Stand", which marks Arnold's first starring role feature since 2003's "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines", is a mediocre but passable return for the much older star. To me what really brought the movie down was it spent far too much time with the FBI and Forest Whitaker overreacting to every situation and with the villains and didn't focus as much on Arnold's character. Sure, have some initial setup to introduce us to these characters but after that move on and get to Arnold. This was a good role for Arnold to come back as playing an old sheriff in a sleepy town, but the script doesn't lend itself enough time to step back and get to know his character's backstory and elects instead to focus on events I really could care less about.

The cast is a mixed bag outside of Arnold, with the surprising best supporter being Johhny Knoxville, who also could have used more screen time. The characters are quirky and offbeat, but at times the dialogue and exchanges are so clunky you wonder if there was a challenge with the language barrier for director Kim Jee-Woon. The "last stand" of the film is by far the best part since finally Arnold is able to kick some ass. There's a few one-liners and silly moments thrown in between decapitations and exploding limbs, and it all plays out like an Arnold movie. Simple as that. Was this the best film for Arnold to come back in? Probably not, and he didn't exactly surround himself with the most talented people here either, but then again it's Arnold and what the hell does he care? The movie isn't bad, but I can't say that it will ever stand out as memorable even amongst Ahnuld films. Great seeing him on the screen again, hoping for better in the future.

6/10
SnoBorderZero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

I think this movie was pretty good really but nothing like he was ages ago. Sly and Arnld just need to face it. They just are not as interesting to see on screen as Bruce Willis. Bruce has this ora that says still got it. While Sly and Arnald look a shadow of better times.
I actually liked the Villain in the movie though but I think they supporting cast needs more work in his next movie for they seemed flat.
Arnald and The Rock should do a cop movie. Now I would pay to see that for The Rock is having his best stuff coming as an Wrestler turned actor.
7/10
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #22
SnoBorderZero
There is no bathroom

Ora? Like aura? Haha.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #23
Justin
Executive Loser

Vader already has a sequel slated.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #24
SnoBorderZero
There is no bathroom

The Last Stand 2: Still Standing and Waiting
Old 02-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #25
saveus1011
Directive 4 (Classified)

Send a message via AIM to saveus1011 Send a message via Yahoo to saveus1011 Send a message via Skype™ to saveus1011

The Last Stand 2: Still Standing
The Last Stand With A Walker
Sit Down Or Last Stand
A Good Day To Last Stand

Those were the planned films.