The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: rate and comment
10 2 10.53%
9 6 31.58%
8 9 47.37%
7 1 5.26%
6 1 5.26%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #101
Henri Ducard
Executive Producer

Inglorious Basterds is the movie version of Captain America punching Hitler in the face.
Henri Ducard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #102
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Django Unchained is probably Quentin Tarantino's most straight forward film, yet it is also perhaps his most indulgent. This story of a slave who is freed, becomes a bounty hunter, and tries to rescue his wife has a clear-cut arc. But within that arc we get a lot of Tarantino's stylized direction.

The strongest aspect of this movie was the performance of Christoph Waltz (once again). His character Dr. Shultz is, not to put too fine a point on it, the reason this movie works. He is the anchor. He is such a great character, written with tons of wit and played with tons of charm, he makes everything around him fun to watch. I would almost argue that without Dr. Shultz, and without him being played by Waltz, this movie would not have worked nearly as well.

Leonardo DiCaprio has also taken a ballsy role here as the plantation owner Calvin Candy, a domineering bigot. He plays him well, but its Samuel L. Jackson who really shines in the villainous role of his servant Steven. No one can look quite as frighteningly angry on screen as Samuel L.

Now what did I mean about Tarantino being indulgent? He really takes the gruesomeness of slavery and the idea of revenge and takes them to as much extreme as he can. The N-word is dropped a lot, blood splatters are more like geysers, and the unadulterated vengeance inflicted on the slavers. He is very unapologetic about any of this, as you would expect. However, the violence is what threw me off, as Tarantino really seems to be going for a fine line between realistic and over the top, and I don't think he quite found that balance.

The first half of this film is certainly the strongest part. Watching Django and Schultz form their friendship is a lot of fun, and Tarantino seems to revel in the western genre. The second half at the Candy plantation is good also, however the ends start to unravel and the climax isn't quite as tight as it feels like it should have been. The ending goes on for too long, and also reaches Return of the King levels of phantom endings.

I can't help but feel like Tarantino loosened up a little on this one, going too far with the length, the style of violence, and the message. However, we still get that great dialogue and those great long scenes, like the dinner table scene, the bag hole scene , and the saloon scene. It may not be his most solid piece of work, but Django is still a fun ride.
8/10
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #103
Dracula
Bloodgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri Ducard View Post
Inglorious Basterds is the movie version of Captain America punching Hitler in the face.
The trailer for Inglourious Basterds is that, the actual movie is not.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #104
Justin
Executive Loser

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #105
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief117 View Post
Apparently his next film is going to be a spin off of Inglorious Basterds. Hmm. Interesting.
Yeah with black soilders going after white soilders for revenge. I would just have former WW2 black soilders now mercs going to different towns in the south and helping people out in the community by killing KKK members. Have it be like the A-Team, but with an all black team. This could be the real men on a mission movie Inglorious Basterds originally was gonna be.
Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #106
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri Ducard View Post
Nien, nien, nien, nien, nien!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #107
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

So Quentin is just making movies to spite spike lee now eh?
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #108
Neverending
Ducks

I watched the Hollywood Reporter's interview with Tarantino and I don't think he's in any rush to make another movie. In fact, he's getting ready for retirement. He says he wants to become a film scholar and is writing two books. One of them is about spaghetti western director Sergio Corbucci (a/k/a the other Sergio) and the other about Don Sigel (Clint Eastwood's go-to director from the late `60s and `70s). He also says he doesn't like that Hollywood is going digital and wants to leave the industry before the Digital Revolution completely takes over. He also seems upset that movie theaters are now mostly screening movies on digital projectors. He doesn't want his movies presented that way. Which comes to show how ridiculous Tarantino can get sometimes. Even Chris Nolan, the leading defender of film, has not complained about this.

BUT, the good news for his fans is that Tarantino is considering make an HBO movie or mini-series. He's one of those people that think television is getting better than cinema. So, who knows, maybe he'll follow Kevin Smith into that world. Smith recently said he wanted to make "Hit Somebody" as a mini-series.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #109
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

Why don't he make a HBO series period. It can be a crime drama and rival Boardwalk Empire.
Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #110
Neverending
Ducks

Tarantino is generally pretty lazy. He has directed 8 movies in 20 years. So, he's not gonna do a TV show.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #111
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

not really, he writes and directs his own movies, a lot different when you are adapting someone else's script. like for example, rian johnson (does the same thing), has 3 movies in 7 years. adds up to roughly 8 in 20 if he keeps just making his own movies the same way, writing and directing.

i wouldn't call them lazy.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #112
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinTard View Post
not really, he writes and directs his own movies
He's not alone. Kevin Smith, who made his debut two years after Tarantino, has 10 films under his belt and they're all original works. Tarantino, don't forget, made Jackie Brown which was an adaptation. Another good example is The Coen Brothers. Their first feature, Blood Simple, was released only 8 years before Tarantino came into the scene, and they have 16 movies on their filmography. Granted, they're a duo, but Tarantino did write Pulp Fiction with Roger Avary... or at least used one of his scripts as source material. So really, Tarantino only has 6 original films that he wrote by himself. Or 5 if you want to count Kill Bill as one movie. Considering the man has been in the business for 20 years, that's pretty low.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #113
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

wrote true romance too. and dusk till dawn.

adapting is still quite difficult when you are called on to write the actual script.

i just would not call him lazy. at all. a pseudo perfectionist maybe, but not lazy. and 2 > 1.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #114
Dracula
Bloodgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
He's not alone. Kevin Smith, who made his debut two years after Tarantino, has 10 films under his belt and they're all original works.
He didn't write Cop Out
Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #115
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Quote:
He's not alone. Kevin Smith, who made his debut two years after Tarantino, has 10 films under his belt and they're all original works. Tarantino, don't forget, made Jackie Brown which was an adaptation. Another good example is The Coen Brothers. Their first feature, Blood Simple, was released only 8 years before Tarantino came into the scene, and they have 16 movies on their filmography. Granted, they're a duo, but Tarantino did write Pulp Fiction with Roger Avary... or at least used one of his scripts as source material. So really, Tarantino only has 6 original films that he wrote by himself. Or 5 if you want to count Kill Bill as one movie. Considering the man has been in the business for 20 years, that's pretty low.
Tarantino also has a much better batting average than Kevin Smith and I'd say than the Coens as well.

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #116
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
Tarantino also has a much better batting average than Kevin Smith and I'd say than the Coens as well.
Agreed.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #117
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinTard View Post
wrote true romance too.
He wrote that before Resevoir Dogs. It's his first script if I'm not mistaken. Either that or Natural Born Killers.

Quote:
dusk till dawn
He wrote the script, but it was based on someone else's story. Plus, I'm pretty sure Robert Rodriguez wrote all the Titty Twister scenes. That section of the movie is Pure Rodriguez.

Quote:
a pseudo perfectionist maybe
Perhaps. In the `90s, he was looser. He didn't mind writing scripts for others. He also didn't have a problem with collaborations and adaptations. In addition, he produced movies, like Roger Avary's directorial debut and Four Rooms. And let's not forget his small roles in films like Desperado. But since Jackie Brown, he definitely seems more reserved and calculated. I think the Internet age messed with him. He seems very concerned with having a great filmography on IMDb.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #118
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Kevin Smith is a crappy director, but an excellent writer. He's better than Tarantino because he doesn't rely on copy and pasting other people's work. He writes from the heart and from his experiences. And the Coen Bros are WAY better filmmakers than Tarantino. And a lot more diverse too.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #119
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Quote:
No.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #120
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
No.
PG Cooper is referring to "batting average" so I guess he's referring to Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers. But as bad as those movies were, I'd say Death Proof is worse.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #121
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Ah yes, the director-comparing game. I love these.

And none of the aforementioned directors can touch Chris Nolan!! Aha!

*Runs out of thread*
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #122
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

We get it Neverending. You're not a Tarantino fan.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #123
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Quote:
PG Cooper is referring to "batting average" so I guess he's referring to Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers. But as bad as those movies were, I'd say Death Proof is worse.
I'm sorry, you need at least 10 ABs to qualify for batting average. Even then, I think the Coen brothers have him beat. Also, who cares about batting average, it's the WAR that's important. (You had to bring baseball into this)

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #124
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
Ah yes, the director-comparing game. I love these.
Well, Franklyn is insisting in writer-directors. We don't want to make Tarantino look even worse by throwing in Steven Spielberg.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #125
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Quote:
Kevin Smith is a crappy director, but an excellent writer. He's better than Tarantino because he doesn't rely on copy and pasting other people's work. He writes from the heart and from his experiences. And the Coen Bros are WAY better filmmakers than Tarantino. And a lot more diverse too.
I agree with that.

Quote:
I was actually referring to Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou, and A Serious Man. Haven't seen The Ladykillers or Intolerable Cruelty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
I'm sorry, you need at least 10 ABs to qualify for batting average. Even then, I think the Coen brothers have him beat. Also, who cares about batting average, it's the WAR that's important. (You had to bring baseball into this)
I'm not saying he's better than the Coens or vice-versa, in fact I'd need to see more Coen Brothers' films before making that sort of claim. But I give Tarantino credit for the consistency of his films.

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote