The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE BACK LOT > Sports

View Poll Results: Who will win the Super Bowl?
Cincinnati Bengals 0 0%
Indianapolis Colts 0 0%
Baltimore Ravens 0 0%
Houston Texans 0 0%
New England Patriots 4 44.44%
Denver Broncos 1 11.11%
Atlanta Falcons 1 11.11%
San Francisco 49ers 1 11.11%
Green Bay Packers 2 22.22%
Washington Redskins 0 0%
Seattle Seahawks 0 0%
Minnesota Vikings 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #1076
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

At this point, I don't see anyone beating the Patriots unfortunately.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #1077
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

As the Patriots intercept...

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #1078
Knerys

These playoffs officially blow.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #1079
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

My money now says Baltimore vs Falcons

I think 49ers and Pats will get stunned and lose big.
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #1080
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

wasted money - the Ravens won't beat the Pats (although I wish they would).
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #1081
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Well Ravens kinda awe The Pats last years loss which would have been Eli vs Flacco.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #1082
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

This isn't turning out so well so far in the playoffs. The Superbowl is looking Superlame.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #1083
Knerys

Harbaugh Bowl. Let's go.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #1084
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

At this point I'll take anyone but the Patriots.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 AM   #1085
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

The thing about NE is they get handed the lame easiest schedules and thats why there always in it. If Brady does not win this superbowl then they don't got the Eli excuse but smells like the Early Denver Play Off days when they get close but no cigar.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #1086
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Ouch - Rob Gronkowski is out until next season
re injured that arm of his
"I don't...Am I speaking Russian? How come I'm speaking Russian?"
Ramplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #1087
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader 2004 View Post
The thing about NE is they get handed the lame easiest schedules and thats why there always in it. If Brady does not win this superbowl then they don't got the Eli excuse but smells like the Early Denver Play Off days when they get close but no cigar.
I did a search to find out the formula for deciding who plays who, and they keep referencing a change in 2009 - so, since these sites are out of date - how have they determined the schedule since 2009?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #1088
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Its easy to figure out really. The NFL love the Cowboys and The Patriots and The Packers. But kinda are hard on the other teams that still like to play football. Pats and The Boys get away with lots of stuff. If A fan of Pats then likely don't see it. My point is Brady best beat either Kapernek, Or Ryan if make the Superbowl.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #1089
Justin
Executive Loser

Classic Vader.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #1090
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Yeah not really the answer I was looking for
I read about how things used to be on sort of a rotation as far as the schedule goes - which teams play which other teams and how that goes in a set rotation with 4 games done a certain way 4 other games rotated a certain way, two games set by previous season record, and so on - that's the type of answer I was looking for.

it seems to me that at some point each team would not "always" get the "easy" schedule.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #1091
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Well just seems like Pats get the harder one while Steelers and Ravens get the harder ones. And let me be perfectly honest. My history of hating Pats goes back to the Tuna and not per say just Brady really. But every person hates certain teams and there logic goes out the window when speak on those hated teams
Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #1092
Justin
Executive Loser

Regardless, whether or not the Patriots have an easier schedule than the Steelers is irrelevant. They still have to take care of business first. Throwing out these conspiracy theories doesn't do you any good. It only contributes to an irrational hatred towards a team.

Well fair enough, I began liking them when they had Drew Bledsoe and Bill Parcells. I don't really hate any team, nor do I have any reason to. Most Pats fans hate the Giants, but I don't--there's no reason to hate them. Sure, they lost to the Packers that year, but who cares--it was ages ago. That's just how it goes.

Back to this season, I'm disappointed that Gronk is injured again. Nevertheless, I don't see them getting past the Ravens. As well-rounded as the Patriots look on offense (for the first time in years), their defense still looks weak and ineffectual. The Ravens will have a field day with them. The Falcons barely squeaked by the Seahawks, so I don't see them getting past the Niners.

Last edited by Justin; 01-15-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #1093
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Seattles D is good but 49ERS Is a beast Foe so if The falcons win It be s shocker. I personally think Steelers and Pats was better Rivalry when Cowher was coaching for they played more. I think Pats have there best games against Manning/Colts and Steelers. Then there division Rivalry foes.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #1094
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

So while we're talking about the Patriots (Here's salt for your wounds heh-heh)

NFL constant: Patriots have racked up wins before and since Spygate
By Jason Cole

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – References to the "S-word" really don't irritate the Patriots, because Spygate or not, New England keeps winning.

As the Patriots attempt to make the Super Bowl for the sixth time in 12 seasons, Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo became the latest player to discredit the Patriots with tweets last Sunday that touched on Spygate. Although Ayanbadejo subsequently apologized, he's unlikely the last critic to make such a dig.
"For me, honestly, no, it doesn't matter," New England quarterback Tom Brady said. "By this time, we've heard it all."

And they keep beating people in the process.

This year marks the sixth season since the scandal broke following the 2007 season opener, putting the incident in the midpoint of New England's long run of high-end play. Since the start of the '07 season, New England has gone 76-20 in the regular season. In the six seasons before the scandal, the Patriots are 70-26.

Critics will point to the lack of championships since the incident: New England won three Super Bowls prior to 2007, winning their first 10 postseason games under Brady and coach Bill Belichick, and was 12-2 in the postseason. Since then, they're just 5-4 in the postseason heading into Sunday's AFC championship game against the Ravens. However, they have come about as close as humanly possible to capturing a fourth title. It took a miracle catch by David Tyree in Super Bowl XLII and a spectacular two-minute drive last season to prevent them from winning two more titles.

In other words, for all the hue and cry from critics that the key to the Patriots' success was they were cheating by anticipating calls, they have been nearly as good overall since they got caught.

So yap all you want, Patriots players say in their own way, then check the scoreboard.

"Back then, when it was fresh, it mattered," Patriots wide receiver Donte' Stallworth said. "It was frustrating to hear people talk about it. That's why [retired safety] Rodney [Harrison] always had some choice words.

"Now, it's like, say whatever you want … yeah, we haven't won a title and it would be nice to do that. But not just so we can shut people up. [Coach] Bill [Belichick] wouldn't allow that anyway. Even back then, he didn't even use it as motivation. We talked about it once, he said what he felt about it and moved on. It was all about maintaining focus."

Of course, that does little to quiet the critics. Ayanbadejo's pre-apology remarks echo what many others have said as they attempt to dismiss the Patriots' success. From Brian Dawkins to Hines Ward, former players have consistently raised a suspicious eye toward what the Patriots did in the pre-Spygate years, wondering how they were able to consistently win. But those same players and other critics conveniently seem to ignore that the Patriots have kept winning even as they have almost completely overhauled the roster.

There are only five players on the Patriots' active roster (Stallworth is on injured reserve) who were with the team prior to 2007 (Brady, wide receiver Deion Branch, guard Logan Mankins, defensive tackle Vince Wilfork and kicker Stephen Gostkowski).

"Yeah, but that wouldn't really support their argument, would it," Stallworth said with a chuckle. "But that's fine. Let them say whatever. It doesn't get anybody around here more motivated. It's like [Belichick] says, 'If you have to have that kind of stuff to get up for a game like this, you're probably in the wrong business.'"

Or as Mankins put it on Thursday when asked if Spygate talk still angers him.

"Nah, that was a long time ago," Mankins said.

It doesn't get under your skin at all?

"No," Mankins said with a smile peaking from his face. "But you are."
Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #1095
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

... just not super bowls.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #1096
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Well, so much for the Falcons. This is shaping up to be an incredibly boring SB.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #1097
Knerys

Two brothers facing off? A retiring veteran's last hurrah? The backup QB making his 10th start IN THE SUPER BOWL? Two franchises who haven't been back here since the 90's? One of this year's toughest defenses facing off with one of this year's greatest offenses?

Yeah. Real boring.

Last edited by Knerys; 01-20-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Knerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #1098
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Actually, the Ravens won the SB in 2001 and the 49ers were the 11th ranked offense while Baltimore had the 16th ranked offense in the league. So, yeah - boring.

The brother's spin is somewhat interesting, and Ray Lewis has already won a SB, so it's not a huge deal. I would have much rather seen Atlanta, who has NEVER won a SB against the Ravens. Glad the Pats didn't make it in though - Bellichik showed his class by refusing an interview after the game. EVERY losing coach at least gives a few minutes. Shannon Sharpe had it absolutely right - he makes it easy to root against them.

Last edited by Ewok Droppings; 01-20-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Ewok Droppings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #1099
Knerys

Fine.

Two brothers facing off? A retiring veteran's last hurrah? The backup QB making his 10th start IN THE SUPER BOWL? Two franchises who haven't been back here IN THE LAST DECADE?

I'll omit my last statement for it's inaccuracies. My point is your bias is showing. These playoffs have had surprises at every turn. Everyone was sure Peyton was going to win. Everyone was sure the Pats were going to win. Most put the Packers over the 49er's. Falcons and Seattle gave us one of the most exciting play off endings ever.

Watch it for the game. Just because it's boring to you doesn't mean it's actually boring.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #1100
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

two weeks of that is gonna make me hate them both quickly.

its lose lose if you ask me, ravens win, obviously that is terrible, and niners win they match steelers with most super bowls.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote