Old 01-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #1177
Dracula
Bloodgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
I'm sure he loves it.
Not exactly...

http://forums.comingsoon.net/showthr...45724&page=230

Last edited by Dracula; 01-13-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Dracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #1178
Neverending
sex

Exclamation

#5 - AGUIRRE, THE WRATH OF GOD (1972)

Popular German duo Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski collaborated for the first time in this adventure story about Lope de Aguirre's search for El Dorado, the City of Gold. Herzog is notorious for pushing his cast and crew to their limits in order to create a truly ambitious motion picture. And this film is no different. If you haven't seen the documentary, Burden of Dreams, about the making of 1982's Fitzcarraldo then you're missing out on something great. That movie, like this one, was snubbed by the Oscars. In fact Werner Herzog has only been nominated ONCE for an Oscar, for the 2008 documentary Encounters at the End of the World. Klaus Kinski did worse. He was never nominated. But even more disrespectful is all the talented and hardworking people who were never acknowledged for their contributions to cinema.

Last edited by Neverending; 01-17-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #1179
Neverending
sex

Exclamation

#4 - ROCKY II (1979)

Rocky is one of the most beloved movies of all-times. Period. The movie winning Best Picture can be seen as one of the rare moments in which the Academy got it right. BUT, film snobs will forever be upset that it beat Taxi Driver, Network, and even All The President's Men. So, it should comes as no surprise that the highly successful sequel, which is just as good as the original, got completely snubbed. Instead, the Oscars honored Breaking Away, an underdog sports movie about bicycle racers. It's an excellent film, but come on, this is Rocky!

#3 - ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA (1984)

Sergio Leone is one of the greatest filmmakers of all-time. And yet, none of his films were ever nominated for a single Academy Award. If that isn't f--ked up then I don't know what is.

#2 - DARK CITY (1998)

Dark City, the pre-Matrix, and one of Roger Ebert's favorite movies, was not nominated for a single Academy Award? Not even technical categories?! How did that happen?

#1 - KNOCKED UP (2007)

So they nominate Juno but not Knocked Up? They can nominate Borat, an almost entirely improvised comedy, for Best Screenplay, but they can't throw some love towards Judd Apatow? The Oscars sometimes don't make any sense.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #1180
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

You don't make sense. Knocked Up is the #1 Oscar snub of all time?

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #1181
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
Knocked Up is the #1 Oscar snub of all time?
In case it wasn't obvious, the films are in chronological order.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #1182
Justin
Executive Producer

Aguirre is a stunning film.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #1183
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Quote:
#4 - ROCKY II (1979)

Rocky is one of the most beloved movies of all-times. Period. The movie winning Best Picture can be seen as one of the rare moments in which the Academy got it right. BUT, film snobs will forever be upset that it beat Taxi Driver, Network, and even All The President's Men. So, it should comes as no surprise that the highly successful sequel, which is just as good as the original, got completely snubbed. Instead, the Oscars honored Breaking Away, an underdog sports movie about bicycle racers. It's an excellent film, but come on, this is Rocky!
I know I am. Rocky may be a more beloved film, but Taxi Driver is the better film.

CS! Record Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes). April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

AFI: Top 100 (98), Top 10 (Gangster).

Best Picture Nominees: 1953, 1962, 1976, 1985, 1989, 1997, 2000, 2003-2013.

Blog, letterboxd, twitter.
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #1184
Deexan
Reflektor

Wrong thread.

Last edited by Deexan; 01-27-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Deexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #1185
Alien
Space traveler

Send a message via MSN to Alien

Or rather than a picture where the writting is too small to read you could listen to The Galaxy Song
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

And the newer The Galaxy DNA Song
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvtMarHYuTc
I always flirt with death
I could be killed, but I don't care about it
Je suis le roi des Dauphins!
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #1186
JBond
Beyond

Thanks for sharing the new Galaxy song. I always loved that one.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #1187
Justin
Executive Producer

I've warmed up to Dark City. I believe what put me off so much was the final fight scene.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #1188
Alien
Space traveler

Send a message via MSN to Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
Thanks for sharing the new Galaxy song. I always loved that one.
I don't like The Galaxy DNA Song coz I don't know the words anymore
I always flirt with death
I could be killed, but I don't care about it
Je suis le roi des Dauphins!
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #1189
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I've warmed up to Dark City. I believe what put me off so much was the final fight scene.
I absolutely loved Dark City from the first time I saw it. Better than The Matrix.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #1190
Neverending
sex

Lightbulb

THE 10 MOST ENDURING BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS!

Inspired by Dr. Jonesy, here is a list of what I consider the 10 most enduring/re-watchable Best Picture Oscar winners. Some will disagree, I'm sure of it, and you're free to present your counter-lists. To me, this is an interesting topic because, quite frankly, a lot of politics go into selecting the Oscar winner for Best Picture. The Academy doesn't always have audiences and critics in mind when they make their choices. So more often then not they hand out awards to movies that leave people scratching their heads years later. I mean... is Out of Africa really better than Back to the Future? Secondly, there's GREAT films that are simply tough to watch. Schindler's List is a masterpiece, and very deserving of its Best Picture win, but nobody re-watches it unless they have to. So, I guess one could argue that this is simply a list of the more entertaining winners and artistic value may not be present in some cases. With all that being said, here we go:

HONORABLE MENTION

Titanic (1997)

CS! is mostly populated by guys and we never truly embraced Titanic except for its technical achievement. However, it cannot be denied that the film has become a classic among females. So, for those reasons, I'm giving it an honorable mention. Although, in truth, this is one of the 5 most enduring films to win a Best Picture Oscar. Titanic was, and is, a worldwide sensation and that's not something you normally associate with a top-prize Oscar winner.

#10 - AMADEUS (1984)

Yes, of all the pictures I could have possibly chosen, I'm going with that one because I'm a pervert. Anyway... I absolutely love this movie and most people that have watched it seem to love it as well. But that's the key issue. How many people under 40 have actually seen Amadeus? That's why I'm ranking this at #10. Awareness for Amadeus isn't great but if you ever get a chance to see it, it'll stay with you forever.

#9 - LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING (2003)

I'm not entirely certain how a 4 hour movie with 10 endings can be "enduring" but there is no denying that the fanbase for LOTR is quite large and they'll support this movie till the very end. I'm sure there's a few people here that have seen the Extended Cuts of the trilogy over a hundred times.

#8 - THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991)

I'm sure I'm gonna get a lot of s--t for ranking this at #8 since many would easily rank it at #1, but I've never been "a fan" of it per say. It's certainly a very effective thriller with memorable characters and performances, but I've never found the story to be all that great. However, from an entertainment standpoint, it certainly among the most re-watchable Best Picture winners.

#7 - RAIN MAN (1988)

There's nothing more cliche' than an Oscar winning movie about disabilities, but Rain Man manages to standout by largely being a comedy. In fact, that's actually very dangerous when you think about it. Rain Man had the potential to be incredibly offensive to mentally handicapped people, but director Barry Levinson and star Dustin Hoffman always avoid crossing the line. It also has to be noted that perhaps the reason why the movie works so well is because Tom Cruise is the central character. He isn't the most likable of characters but his relationship with Rain Man is very believable, natural, and sweet.

#6 - AMERICAN BEAUTY (1999)

Earlier, I mentioned how political the Oscars can be. However, sometimes, that can be a good thing. American Beauty is a quirky comedy that would have likely been ignored by the Oscars had it not been made by DreamWorks, a studio that's co-owned by Steven Spielberg. The film covers a wide-range of topics like mid-life crisis, teen melodrama, homosexuality, sex, drugs, and suburbia. And that's why I think it holds up so well. It analyses human nature and that's more relatable and fascinating than, say, a movie about a king with a speech impediment.

#5 - BRAVEHEART (1995)

There's nothing more cliche' than an Oscar winning historical drama. Except that there's nothing cliche' about Braveheart. Mel Gibson, essentially, made a blockbuster action-comedy that just happens to revolve around an important historical figure. It's badass, epic, ruthless, unapologetic, and easily one of the most entertaining movies to ever win a top prize at the Oscars.

#4 - THE FRENCH CONNECTION (1971)

It's hard to believe this movie won 5 Academy Awards including Best Picture. The French Connection is everything the Oscars hate. That may seem difficult to believe in 2013 because we think of it as a gritty crime drama. But in reality, it's a mainstream action film that was trying to one-up Steve McQueen's Bullet. If you don't believe me, just remember that Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry was released the same exact year and it's essentially the same movie. And yet, it got no Oscar love whatsoever. The difference, I guess, would be that Dirty Harry is very politically in-your-face while The French Connection is based on a true story and presented as an observational piece so the filmmakers could distance themselves from any controversy. It's like comparing Zero Dark Thirty to Argo. But while Argo is a comedy-drama that features an important contribution by Hollywood in a major American political crisis, The French Connection is about a tough New York cop going after a French heroin dealer. It just doesn't feel like an Oscar movie, and yet, it is, and that's pretty cool.

#3 & 2 - THE GODFATHER, PARTS 1 & 2 (1972 / 74)

These two movies are unique because they're popular with mainstream audiences, movie buffs, critics, and the Oscars. If you want an example of enduring, here it is. HOWEVER, they're not quite #1.

#1 - ROCKY (1976)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Film Snobs and Critics really, really, really, really, REALLY hate that Rocky won Best Picture over Taxi Driver and Network, but can they really argue with an American cinematic landmark? Of course not. If you want the definition of an enduring Best Picture Oscar winner than look no further than Rocky. He may have lost to Apollo Creed but he won our hearts.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #1191
JBond
Beyond

American Beauty is my favorite Best Picture winner.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #1192
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Good list, though I personally find The French Connection and Rocky to be very overrated.

And enduring as Rocky is to audiences, there's no way it deserved best picture over Taxi Driver.

CS! Record Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes). April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #1193
Deexan
Reflektor

I love Titanic, it was my favourite film for a long, long time. I bawled my eyes out the first time I saw it. The second time I saw it with a different group of friends and we had a giggling fit just as Jack died [SPOILER ALERT!], which, in a deathly silent and ful auditorium, did not go down well.

Sorry, random guys I never saw again!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #1194
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

I'm with you on Silence of the Lambs. Very good movie, but I don't know if I can call it "great."

I still need to see American Beauty.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #1195
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBuff801 View Post
I'm with you on Silence of the Lambs. Very good movie, but I don't know if I can call it "great."
It is great.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #1196
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Not quite.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #1197
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

No, Ian's right. Silence of the Lambs is great. In fact it's one of my top five favourite Best Picture winners.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #1198
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Neverending has a point about the story being nothing all that special -- it's well done, sure, but kinda predictable.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #1199
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

Amadeus is a fantastic movie, but all you can find is the directors cut, need to release the theatrical on blu ray already. It is the one that won all the awards, not the directors cut.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #1200
Neverending
sex

Cool

I'm bumping this list from last year.

Quote:
THE 10 BEST OSCAR WINNERS FOR BEST PICTURE

#10 - TITANIC (1997)

The love story is cliche and Leonardo DiCaprio was in his annoying Pretty Boy phase. So, I completely understand the complains by certain male viewers. But those two factors never bothered me. I was too caught up in James Cameron brilliantly re-creating the tragedy surrounding the Titanic. The film is a cinematic achievement. No one can deny that. Nearly 15 years later, when the movie transition from the old lady to Kate Winslet, it feels like you've been transported in time. If Avatar did a groundbreaking job of creating a new world and the species that live in it, then Titanic was equally groundbreaking in re-creating history.

#9 - BRAVEHEART (1995)

This is arguably the most badass movie that ever won Best Picture. Until Mel Gibson murders someone, I won't let his personal life affect my judgement of his films. It also doesn't bother me to see the King of England kick his son's gay lover out of a window. The scene was too funny and random to get upset about. Besides, if in the 21st century gay people are struggling for their rights, then just imagine the 13th century. The moment fit the scene and the historical context.

#8 - AMERICAN BEAUTY (1999)

Dark tales about suburbia are as old as episodes of the Twilight Zone. But while past writers used the suburbs as inspiration for comedy, horror, and even fantasy, Alan Ball chose to do a satire of life. Aided by director Sam Mendes, cinematographer Conrad Hall, composer Thomas Newman, and a steller cast, American Beauty is a contemporary masterpiece.

#7 - KRAMER VS. KRAMER (1979)

Kramer vs. Kramer is more relevant now than in 1979. Divorce rates are higher than ever while some couples choose not to get married. Plus, given our current economy, lots of breadwinners are struggling to make ends meet. But that's all besides the point. At the heart of the film, is a story about a father and his son. Conventional wisdom indicates that women are better parents, and while that's usually true, it isn't a fact. And that's the argument that this film makes.

#6 - THE FRENCH CONNECTION (1971)

To quote Chris Rock, there are issues I'm liberal about and ones I'm conservative about. When it comes to the police, I definitely lean to the right. 1971 was a year when movies started the debate on cops. Dirty Harry, for example, was highly criticized by liberals. The French Connection, which is based on the true story of the biggest drug bust in New York history, is a lot more moderate by comparison. Popeye Doyle is definitely a Dirty Harry type, but William Friedkin's documentary-style direction gave the film a realistic tone. So, the movie is more of an observation than a chronicle. And since life isn't black & white, there's a lot to applaud Popeye Doyle for, but also some stuff to raise an eyebrow at.

#5 - ROCKY (1976)

The 49th Annual Academy Awards are, by far, the most talked about in Oscar history. It was one of the VERY few ceremonies where most of the nominees were great, classic films. Taxi Driver is considered an artistic masterpiece. Network is a classic of `70s social commentary. And, All the President's Men chronicles one of the most famous historical events of the decade. So, as expected, the jury is divided and no one can agree on a clear winner. As a result, Rocky has its critics. But let's look at the facts. Rocky is a classic in its own right. It is, by far, the most popular and iconic of all the nominees. And it's the one that audiences got emotionally invested in.

TO BE CONTINUED. . .
Quote:
#4 - SCHINDLER'S LIST (1993)

1993 was a great year for Steven Spielberg. It was so great that he, unsuccessfully, tried to replicate it in 1997, 2002, 2005, and 2011. Basically, he took us on a wild ride with Jurassic Park and then gave us some harsh reality with Schindler's List. It's safe to say that this is one of the more depressing winners. I can't think of many people, except teachers, who have seen the film more than 2 or 3 times but it definitely sticks with you. I can't think of the Holocaust without this movie randomly popping into my head.

#3 - AMADEUS (1984)

Back in high school, if someone had told me that a movie about Mozart would be amazing, I would have questioned their sanity. And I think most people would agree. The reason I say that is because almost no one has seen it. Except music students forced to watch it at school. Even here, this film is very under-the-radar. I remember a few years ago I created a thread for the movie and no one responded. It's a shame so many people have ignored it, just because the subject matter seems boring. As Dracula would back me up, this film is a masterpiece.

#1 & #2 - THE GODFATHER, PART I & II (1972, 74)

The Godfather Saga is Citizen Kane for a contemporary audience. Michael Corleone, the central character in the series, was ruined by the excess of power and the paranoia that comes along with it. Combine that with the immigrant tale of Vito Corleone and you have a story that connects with viewers on a deeper, psychological level. The Oscars, in a VERY rare moment, honored the correct two films. Although, at the same time, they dropped the ball. The Godfather only won 3 awards and Al Pacino lost Best Actor for Godfather II. Meanwhile, John Cazale didn't even get nominated. It just comes to show that the Oscars wouldn't be the Oscars if they weren't pissing someone off. It's their trademark.