The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > MAIN GATE > CS Community - We're going to party like it's 2003!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #2026
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien View Post
I think I owe you royalties for this review or something. I'm getting in trouble coz I use it too much when my friends start going on about how much they love the movie.
Just sign it "Jibbs" and I don't mind.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #2027
Dracula
Bloodgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
I don't recall him being given more free will, but I may have missed it. Regardless, I just don't like the idea of a logic loophole that allows a robot to pull another child into a pool.
Again, the pool thing was an accident/malfunction, not some kind of attempt at murder. The other kid stabbed him, his programming interpreted it as an attack, he gets behind the brother and asks the kid to protect him over and over again as if he's shorting out and then they slip in the pool and because he's shorting out he doesn't let go. Didn't we have this same argument about Frankenstein?

Follow me on Letterboxd

Follow me on Twitter
Dracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #2028
Neverending
sex

Quote:
I don’t know what could have gone so horribly wrong with the production of this movie
Drugs and egos. I'm surprised you've never heard of 1941. It has one of the most legendary productions of the 1970's. It makes Martin Scorsese's New York New York look like ametur hour.
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #2029
Alien
Space traveler

Send a message via MSN to Alien

Quote:
Just sign it "Jibbs" and I don't mind.
I link right to it (http://forums.comingsoon.net/showpos...postcount=1800) so I don't need to.
I always flirt with death
I could be killed, but I don't care about it
Je suis le roi des Dauphins!
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #2030
JBond
Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Again, the pool thing was an accident/malfunction, not some kind of attempt at murder. The other kid stabbed him, his programming interpreted it as an attack, he gets behind the brother and asks the kid to protect him over and over again as if he's shorting out and then they slip in the pool and because he's shorting out he doesn't let go. Didn't we have this same argument about Frankenstein?
Call it what you want, what I'm saying is it doesn't work for me. I never felt like it was attempted murder.

What did I say about Frankenstein?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #2031
Dracula
Bloodgod

Quote:
Call it what you want, what I'm saying is it doesn't work for me. I never felt like it was attempted murder.

What did I say about Frankenstein?
http://forums.comingsoon.net/showthread.php?p=2764269

Follow me on Letterboxd

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #2032
JBond
Beyond

Heh, I watched it on Youtube before you responded. I now think I was wrong.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #2033
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

It's definitely one of his best, but I really, really love Artificial Intelligence. Sure, maybe Kubrick might have done a better job, but I've always loved the movie ever since the first time I saw it.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #2034
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Here's the list I was waiting for. Good stuff so far. I will say I remember liking A.I., but I haven't seen it in a long time.

CS! Record Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes). April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

AFI: Top 100 (98), Top 10 (Gangster, Science-Fiction).

Best Picture Nominees: 1953, 1962, 1976, 1985, 1989, 1997, 2000, 2003-2013.

Blog, letterboxd, twitter.
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #2035
JBond
Beyond

24. The Sugarland Express (1974)

The Sugarland Express is like Bonnie and Clyde, but without the memorable characters, witty banter and excitement. I think its main problem is the main characters are unsympathetic and flat, so as the characters grow closer together, the audience is left behind. Eventually they become celebrity sensations and everyone wants to meet them...except for me.

**/****

23. The Color Purple (1985)

The Color Purple is a bizarre film. It deals with very serious matters such as marital abuse, slavery, and rape, but it also has a slapstick side to it and even a couple musical numbers to go with it. That’s not to say a movie can’t possibly work with these elements, but this one did not. The movie had odd pacing and the characters seemed like thin parodies of themselves at times. The last 30 minutes or so of the film are satisfying as a whole, but after 2 hours of banality, it’s a bit too little, too late.

**/****

22. The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)

It seemed likely that a sequel to Jurassic Park would be a hit as long as there were CGI dinosaurs. Unfortunately for us, the writing had something to say about that. There are quite a few enjoyable action sequences, but these often feel stale in comparison to the original and sometimes common sense is thrown to the wind. This is particularly true of the raptor scene where there are, count ‘em, five times where a character escapes death because a raptor decides to stand still and snarl at them instead of eat them. Then there’s the part where the girl defeats a raptor with gymnastics. Also wrong with the action sequences is they seemed to get a bit frugal with the total amount of frames with special effects. The movie is filled with action sequences starting or ending with humans on camera looking off screen and saying something like “They’re going back into the jungle” or “This is going to be bad,” as if they're watching a better version of this movie and narrating it for us. The shark was famously limited in Jaws, but I don’t recall people saying “the shark is leaving now.” They found ways to limit the CGI in the original Jurassic Park (mostly with animatronics), why couldn’t they do it a second time?

Another big problem I have with this movie is Ian Malcolm. He’s incredibly too flippant throughout the movie with about 15 one-liners and zingers (including one where his girlfriend is hanging for her life by a thread.) He is also used multiple times as the M.C. of the action to tell us flat out when things are going to change tempo. (This is combined with the lack of dinosaurs being used as the inciting events.)

**/****

21. Hook (1991)

As far as I’m concerned there are two kinds of kids’ movies, though they are not mutually exclusive. There are movies that have subject matter for kids, and then there are movies that are dumbed down for kids. This is more of the latter. I have no problem watching a quality movie about a boy befriending an alien, but I can’t look at it the same way as I would a movie where there are crotch and fat jokes and too much random silliness. Hook has an incredible premise, but its delivery falls flat in many places.

This movie also made some very questionable decisions. One weird thing is that Captain Hook is suicidal. Now this could have been an interesting twist in a dark telling of this story, after all, the narration of this movie is slightly more adult than the original Peter Pan and the logic of Hook now seems to suggest that he, and everyone else in Neverland is immortal. (Also, is there anything more depressing than a large group of orphans that have to eat imaginary meals?) But this is also a movie with skateboard action scenes. But what has to be the weirdest thing about this movie is that Tinkerbell has the hots for Peter Pan and turns into a real person for a while. I’ve complained about forced romance in movies before, but this one takes the cake.

**.5/****

Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #2036
Neverending
sex

Lost World isn't a good movie but it isn't bad either. It's mediocre at best. However, as I mentioned before, I do love when the T-Rex starts roaming around a big city. It's the best American Godzilla movie we've gotten so far.

As for Hook, I think it's awesome. Is it silly? Yeah, definitely. But it has a lot of charm. When Robin Williams finally becomes Peter Pan, it's one of the best things Spielberg has ever directed:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #2037
JBond
Beyond

Yeah, I've already prepared to get a lot of crap for putting Hook there.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #2038
Dracula
Bloodgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
Lost World isn't a good movie but it isn't bad either. It's mediocre at best. However, as I mentioned before, I do love when the T-Rex starts roaming around a big city. It's the best American Godzilla movie we've gotten so far.
Cloverfield?

Follow me on Letterboxd

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #2039
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

I'm with Neverending; I f**king love Hook. The silliness is part of its charm, and yet it still manages to handle the more serious stuff incredibly well. Dustin Hoffman also gives the best portrayal of Captain Hook in all of the on-screen versions of Peter Pan. Plus, it features my all-time favorite John Williams score.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #2040
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Cloverfield?
This is WAY better:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I still can't believe JBond didn't put it in his Top Spielberg Moments. That's the highlight of the damn movie.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #2041
JBond
Beyond

I used to like it.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #2042
Fanible
FanFreakinTastic

Send a message via AIM to Fanible

I really don't like that movie. If that's considered the highlight of the entire thing, it's no wonder.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #2043
Neverending
sex

T-Rex walking down the neighborhood is awesome.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #2044
Nilade
In glorious Technicolor

Send a message via AIM to Nilade

The Lost World was mediocre at best. Any redeeming qualities of the film were destroyed by the gymnastics scene.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #2045
Henri Ducard
Executive Producer

I do appreciate that Lost World had more Jeff Goldblum than the original. You can never go wrong with Goldblum.
Henri Ducard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #2046
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Lost World is still watchable. Neverending's right, its not terrible. But I disagree that city T-Rex is the best part.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #2047
JBond
Beyond

20. Duel (1971)

Director:
Steven Spielberg

Written by:
Richard Matheson (screenplay)
Richard Matheson (story)

The movie that started it all, Duel is a thriller the whole way and nothing more (although I like to think of it as one man’s battle against “road rage;” the only person who’s ever won.) In Spielberg’s first feature film it’s already clear that he has a talent for building suspense with proper tempo and camera work. We also get an early taste of what’s to come in Jaws as he refines his “less is more” approach to movie villains. The movie (and short story) is kind of a retelling of “The Most Dangerous Game” for the 20th century; the cat-and-mouse game plays well on the road. The car driver seems like a nerd early on, but we learn to respect him as he takes a more proactive and aggressive approach to his conflict as the movie progresses. He also proves he’s in the proper role by saving the obligatory children, a staple of Spielberg’s body of work.

However, the problem that this movie faced from the beginning was that it was a full length feature based on a short story about road rage. Spielberg did all he could to make some mighty fine scenes, but as a whole the movie is a bit thin. I suppose that’s why it’s a TV movie. I also feel cheated of a finale when we are promised a large explosion with a truck that has the word “Flammable” in large block letters on the back that is showcased many times throughout the movie. Still, it’s a pretty stunning wreck.

**.5/****

19. The Terminal (2004)

Directed by:
Steven Spielberg

Written by:
Andrew Niccol (story) and Sacha Gervasi (story)
Sacha Gervasi (screenplay) and Jeff Nathanson (screenplay)

I used to like this movie more because of its resemblance to a “bottle episode.” In TV that’s when an episode takes place in a confined location and forces characters and plots to be more singular-minded, intricate and thorough. However, as the novelty of this film wears off, that’s when its flaws begin to show. The main problem with this movie is the characters.

Tom Hanks is great as this character, I’m sure there was no doubt that he would be. However, the character itself is written pretty poorly. Viktor Navorski is a dope and slow to understand things going on around him when the script calls for him needing to be ignorant to the plot and funny in a daft sort of way. But spliced into these scenes are other scenes where he is very clever and adaptive to his surroundings and conflicts, for when we need to root for him and respect him. While I’m not saying it would be impossible to mix these kinds of scenes aptly, this film is rather contrived in its attempts. Besides Viktor, there’s also the unlikeable floosy Amelia Warren, played by Catherine Zeta-Jones, and the cartoonish villain Frank Dixon, played by Stanley Tucci, whose motives are never very believable.

I think if someone asked you if they should watch this you should remind them that when Spielberg made it he had Frank Capra in mind.

**.5/****

18. Always (1989)

Directed by:
Steven Spielberg

Written by:
Jerry Belson (screenplay)
Dalton Trumbo (screenplay "A Guy Named Joe")
Frederick Hazlitt Brennan (screenplay adaptation "A Guy Named Joe")
Chandler Sprague (story "A Guy Named Joe") and David Boehm (story "A Guy Named Joe")

Always is a cute little film, but doesn’t amount to a whole lot in the end. There are no major problems, the premise is interesting, and the ending is pretty satisfying. It’s probably the most average of Spielberg’s films (that is, average among all movies, not compared to all of his.) There are only a couple of actions scenes, one at the beginning and one at the end involving airplanes and fires, but they’re quite well done. The middle drags on a bit, but there are some touching scenes between Dreyfuss and Hunter along the way.

**.5/****

17. War Horse (2011)

Directed by:
Steven Spielberg

Written by:
Lee Hall (screenplay) and Richard Curtis (screenplay)
Michael Morpurgo (novel)
Nick Stafford (stage play)

War Horse is a movie with many above average scenes placed in a row, but that doesn’t really amount to anything. Notable scenes include a cavalry vs. soldiers battle, a great trench battle scene and an interesting scene involving a German and British soldier working together to free the horse from barbed wire. But when it’s all said and done we’ve spent 140 minutes following a boy and a horse’s story that says little about World War I along the way. I also find the final 20 minutes or so to be overly sentimental. The supporting characters at this point behave as if they had been watching the movie this whole time when deciding matters concerning the boy and his horse.

**.5/****

Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #2048
Neverending
sex

Duel is pretty cool for a TV movie.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #2049
JBond
Beyond

I agree.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 AM   #2050
Bane
Executive Producer

Thanks JBond for a great thread. I haven't looked all the way through as yet, but it has got interested in dusting off some DVDs I haven't seen for a while, and piqued my interest in some I have yet to see.