The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > FRANCHISES & GENRES > Comic Book Adaptations

Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #126
Neverending
sex

With Darkseid, the movie will be a lot darker than anything Marvel has planned for The Avengers. That seems to be WB's M.O.
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #127
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayemef View Post
DC had the idea first, therefore, Marvel can suck it
Good luck explaining that to every moviegoer on the planet who's never heard of Darkseid, a Mother Box or a Boom Tube. Most people don't know or care about the difference between astronomy and astrology. Expecting them to know or care about which comic book company did what first with a particular character is beyond overly optimistic.
Wyldstaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #128
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstaar View Post
Good luck explaining that to every moviegoer on the planet who's never heard of Darkseid, a Mother Box or a Boom Tube. Most people don't know or care about the difference between astronomy and astrology. Expecting them to know or care about which comic book company did what first with a particular character is beyond overly optimistic.
But, as I said, I doubt the Justic League movie will be as light-hearted as The Avengers. If Superman got a Chris Nolan make-over then I expect every DC character to get one as well. So that's where the difference might be in and it may or may not work. I guess we'll wait and see.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #129
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
But, as I said, I doubt the Justice League movie will be as light-hearted as The Avengers. If Superman got a Chris Nolan make-over then I expect every DC character to get one as well. So that's where the difference might be in and it may or may not work. I guess we'll wait and see.
I love Chris Nolan films, and think he did a fantastic job with Batman. Superman and Metropolis is nothing like Batman and Gotham, though. WB tried the same thing in the 90's, when they gave Superman to Tim Burton. That project was such a disaster that it never made it to the screen. If Man of Steel doesn't pan out, a major rethink of JLA will likely follow.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #130
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Superman and Metropolis is nothing like Batman and Gotham, though.
True, but they went ahead and had Nolan co-write and produce Man of Steel. If the movie works, Justice League will be Nolan-style.

Quote:
WB tried the same thing in the 90's, when they gave Superman to Tim Burton. That project was such a disaster that it never made it to the screen.
Superman Lives wasn't a disaster. It simply went over-budget at a time when blockbusters barely cost over $100 million to produce. WB also got nervous when Batman & Robin flopped at the box office. Instead of blaming Joel Schumacher for a less-than-stellar product, they just figured that superheroes weren't popular. But in hindsight, Superman Lives would have been more mainstream-friendly than Superman Returns and would have definitely been more successful than Wild Wild West, the film they opted to make instead. WB could have re-launched the Superman franchise 15 years in advance and gotten a head-start on the superhero boom of the 21st century.

Quote:
If Man of Steel doesn't pan out, a major rethink of JLA will likely follow.
If Man of Steel flops, WB is done with Superman outside of television. And the Justice League film will revolve around a Bruce Wayne funded superhero team. It's as simple as that.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #131
Hoilett
Banned Status

There have got to be better wonder women out there than Alexandra and Gina.....
Hoilett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #132
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoilett View Post
There have got to be better wonder women out there than Alexandra and Gina.....
There probably is, but it's someone we've never heard of. Christopher Reeve was a nobody before he was cast as Superman.

I think the main worry comes from the fact that the casting of Wonder Woman calls for a very specific physical type, which isn't all that common. She needs to be tall, or at least able to be readily perceived as tall on screen. She can't be rail thin either, which most women in Hollywood are. She also needs to have a certain level of muscle mass. Not a lot, but more than most women are even capable of putting on. Even women who work out regularly don't usually build much muscle due to genetics. On top of all of that, she needs to be able to radiate a regal air about her. Finally of course, she needs to be able to actually act. A woman who looks perfect for the role in every way, but can't act her way out of a paper bag would be worse than someone who can act, but isn't physically ideal.

If whoever finally does get cast has even half of the needed qualities for the role, I'll be shocked. With the film still slated for 2015, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an announcement at SDCC this year regarding the cast.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #133
Henri Ducard
Executive Producer

Quote:
There probably is, but it's someone we've never heard of. Christopher Reeve was a nobody before he was cast as Superman.
A better example would be Lucy Lawless. She was great as Xena and would have been suitable as Wonder Woman if a movie had happened 10 or 15 years ago. Lynda Carter was also pretty memorable as Wonder Woman back in the `70s. What most people don't know about Carter is that she's actually Latina. Whoever is casting director might have to look outside of White American and Canadian girls. Central & South America, Europe, New Zealand and Australia is where they would find a great Wonder Woman.
Henri Ducard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #134
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

The casting of unknowns is very common for TV shows, especially cable programs. Lucy Lawless was cast as Xena because she had already been cast in a couple of roles on Hercules: The Legendary Journey. She started out with a bit part as the human wife of a centaur, was later cast as Xena for a couple of episodes, and was then spun-off into her own show. Lucy was unknown to most people, but the producers of the show had already worked with her several times.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #135
Neverending
sex

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=100064

Quote:
The future of Warner Bros.' big screen superhero ensemble Justice League appears to be a bit up in the air today as Badass Digest reports the rumor that the studio has elected not to move forward with Will Beall's take on the screenplay and will now bring in new writers to reexamine the property.

Although the film was initially rumored for a 2015 release, recent reports from Warner Bros. suggest that Justice League's big screen potential hinges on the success of their upcoming Man of Steel. Unofficial buzz about the Zack Snyder film has been very postive, however, and it's possible that, if rumors of a page-one rewrite do pan out, the reason is simply to make the ensemble fit more in tone with Snyder's vision.

Man of Steel stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Antje Traue, Ayelet Zurer, Christopher Meloni, Russell Crowe, Michael Kelly, Harry Lennix and Richard Schiff and hits theaters on June 14.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #136
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

I've been expecting this ever since WB announced their intent to release in 2015. That's just waaay too soon. Besides, trying to go head-to-head with The Avengers sequel is a terrible idea, no matter how good the Justice League movie actually is. It's far better that WB takes their time to do it right.

PLEASE WB! Learn from your many mistakes of the past, as well as what you and others studios have done correctly!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #137
Alien
Space traveler

Send a message via MSN to Alien

WB should just wait till the Avengers is over then go for it. Why split the market when you can take the market.
I always flirt with death
I could be killed, but I don't care about it
Je suis le roi des Dauphins!
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #138
Henri Ducard
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien View Post
WB should just wait till the Avengers is over then go for it. Why split the market when you can take the market.
There's always the danger of being not caring by then. It's better to make money while people are still hungry for the genre.
Henri Ducard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #139
Ayemef
Executive Producer

-x-

Official Website for Tha Next Chapter
where you can purchase albums, singles, merchandise
and download all of our current FREE Mixtapes ! ! !

Also, Don't Forget to BOOKMARK US!

Last edited by Ayemef; 06-24-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Ayemef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #140
Alien
Space traveler

The genre has been strong since 1989's Batman. There were a lot of bad comic book movies made after the success of Batman. So really, as long as they don't make bad movies the genre will never die.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #141
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

Giving Justice League an extra year to iron out a screenplay won't hurt it any. For the past few years, articles were released asking if the superhero movie trend had run its course. This year, they seem to have dried up. The huge success of both The Avengers and Dark Knight Rises have killed that notion for the time being. With Sony and Fox contractually obligated to continuously make Spider-Man and X-Men movies regularly, that guarantees their continued production. Marvel Studios does nothing but comics movies, and they aren't going away. I can easily see WB allowing their DC properties to lie fallow, though. They just keep getting burned.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #142
Ayemef
Executive Producer

-x-

Official Website for Tha Next Chapter
where you can purchase albums, singles, merchandise
and download all of our current FREE Mixtapes ! ! !

Also, Don't Forget to BOOKMARK US!

Last edited by Ayemef; 06-24-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Ayemef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #143
docstop
Hockey Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayemef View Post
so the "danger of people not caring" is not going to happen anytime soon
I see what you mean, but a JLA movie or even most of the DC movies might fall by the wayside just because there is so many other comic movies out there and, as others have posted, the genre isn't new, so DC is amazingly late to the party.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #144
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by docstop View Post
I see what you mean, but a JLA movie or even most of the DC movies might fall by the wayside just because there is so many other comic movies out there and, as others have posted, the genre isn't new, so DC is amazingly late to the party.
Well, I'd say that DC is at the party, but they seem to be ones nobody wants to dance with or speak to. I guess it depends on when the party started. Personally, I think it started in 1998 with Blade. Since then, Marvel has brought 27 movies to the party (along with pizzas and a keg of beer). DC has brought 13 (and some hummus, pita chips and a box of wine).

Have I run the party metaphor into the ground yet?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #145
docstop
Hockey Legend

and DC tends to double dip with the nachos.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #146
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

More rumors arrive today. The source is Latino Review, who has proven to be at least semi-reliable. They broke the news that Guardians of the Galaxy would be Marvel's big announcement at SDCC a week before the con. Of course, they also said that Black Panther would be Marvel's big SDCC announcement just two weeks before that, so take this with a grain or two of salt.

The latest rumor is that Justice League is being put back on track with Chris Nolan in overall charge of the DC cinematic universe. Zack Snyder along with Nolan will be the producers of Justice League, and that with the addition of Nolan into the mix comes the return of Christian Bale as Batman.

While this may sound like wishful thinking, Bale has already stated in an interview that if Nolan were to come to him with a script for the return of Batman, he'd be on board with it.

LINK

Last edited by Wyldstaar; 03-04-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #147
Nick1988
Executive Producer

awesome news, hope it turns out to be true, Nolan joining suddenly makes this Justice League and the DC future very interesting.
Nick1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #148
Neverending
sex

I'll believe it when it happens.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #149
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

I agree with Neverending. As much as I would love it, I'll wait and see.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #150
Alien
Space traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
I'll believe it when it happens.
This... But if this does happen I'll be sad.

Bale was good as Batman in those movies that were set in a "real" world with "real" situations. Justice League has Superman and who knows what other UNreal superheros. Justice League can't really be DC's answer to The Avengers, tying past movies (that were never designed to be tied together) together.

By all means Nolan and Snyder can work on this but they sould have a new Batman and make him as different from Bale as Bale was to what came before him.