The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: rate and comment
10 2 10.53%
9 6 31.58%
8 9 47.37%
7 1 5.26%
6 1 5.26%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #51
Justin
Executive Loser

QT will never grow as a filmmaker. It would be nice, though, if he were willing to break out of his comfort zone for once. A few years back I might have defended him, but not anymore.

Last edited by Justin; 12-31-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #52
moviefan7
Grip

This movie should've been a half hour shorter was too long, I liked the movie though despite some of the brutal violence. I thought Samuel L.Jackson stole the show with his performance hilarious. Walz and DiCaprio also gave solid performances that Tupac song didn't seem to fit though.
moviefan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #53
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
God help me but...Neverending is right.
That must of hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
it's time for Tarantino to break out of his comfort zone.
He never will. Ever since Inglorious Basterds he has been saying during interviews that he only wants to make 10 movies. He's already made 8. Unless he wants to count both Kill Bill's as one film. Either way, he only has 2 or 3 movies left. And one of them is gonna be Kill Bill 3 which he has been waiting to make so Vivica A. Fox's daughter can become an adult. Anyway..... I don't see him doing a u-turn during his last couple of films. The closest Tarantino has come to leaving his comfort zone was Kill Bill, Vol. 1 since that wasn't dialogue driven.
12:55 AM

"We’re No. 1 in TBS’ key demographic:
People who can’t afford HBO."
- Conan O'Brien
May 18, 2011

"I honestly don't know who gives me a bigger boner:
Zoe Saldana OR Chris Pine. Star Trek Into My Pants!"
- Kevin Smith
February 24, 2013

The Batman Appreciation Thread
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #54
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Apparently his next film is going to be a spin off of Inglorious Basterds. Hmm. Interesting.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #55
Drizzt240
There're rules for this site

Send a message via AIM to Drizzt240

i saw this picture. it was great

9/10
Drizzt240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #56
SnoBorderZero
There is no bathroom

Send a message via AIM to SnoBorderZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
DiCaprio is in the middle. That whole Calvin Candi/Mandingo/Rescue Scheme is the second act. It's kind of amusing that people thought the movie was gonna end during that section of the film. It would have been anti-climactic if it did. Even with the shootout.

http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_ne...ghetti-western
I realize that's the second half, I meant more about when they were collecting bounties early on.

And that's honestly hilarious, Spike Lee is an absolute joke. Easily one of the most overrated filmmakers ever, if he didn't have "Do the Right Thing" no one would even mention him in any film discussion at all. If he honestly thinks Tarantino is doing any of this to be racist or get a rise out of the African American community, he's full of it.

Also funny as hell that they noted him as the director of "She's Gotta Have It" of all his movies. HAHAHAHA! Might as well mentioned "Miracle at St. Anna" and "Girl 6" too. Hack!
SnoBorderZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #57
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

I'm sick of Spike Lee too. He tried to pull the same garbage when Flags of Our Fathers came out, saying Eastwood didn't emphasize the African American soldiers. And like you said, if he was still releasing quality films he would have an arena that's just a bit bigger, but he seems to only stick his head out when he complains about how I'm oppressing the black man by watching Django. Ok guy.

And his production company is 40 Acres and a Mule? I mean come on.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #58
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoBorderZero View Post
if he didn't have "Do the Right Thing"
And..... Malcolm X.
12:55 AM

"We’re No. 1 in TBS’ key demographic:
People who can’t afford HBO."
- Conan O'Brien
May 18, 2011

"I honestly don't know who gives me a bigger boner:
Zoe Saldana OR Chris Pine. Star Trek Into My Pants!"
- Kevin Smith
February 24, 2013

The Batman Appreciation Thread
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #59
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

And.....She Hate Me.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #60
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

This was the most fun I've had at the movies all year, not to mention my pick for my favorite film of 2012 right now. Only Quentin Tarantino can make a movie like this that excites me, thrills me, has me in anticipation and in dread all within the course of just a few minutes. Waltz, DiCaprio and Jackson were all phenomenal, as has already been said, but I still thought Jamie Foxx did very strong work; it's just that he has the performance that's the least "showy" of the bunch. Yes, you do feel the length, but at the same time, there's never a dull moment in this movie. Plus, this film has the most entertainingly over-the-top shootout I've seen in recent years; loved it. I honestly didn't mind the rap song used in this sequence. In fact, it really complimented the way Django just decided to go all-out in that scene.

All in all, this was another great film from one of my favorite directors.

****/****
Old 12-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #61
Justin
Executive Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoBorderZero View Post
I realize that's the second half, I meant more about when they were collecting bounties early on.

And that's honestly hilarious, Spike Lee is an absolute joke. Easily one of the most overrated filmmakers ever, if he didn't have "Do the Right Thing" no one would even mention him in any film discussion at all. If he honestly thinks Tarantino is doing any of this to be racist or get a rise out of the African American community, he's full of it.

Also funny as hell that they noted him as the director of "She's Gotta Have It" of all his movies. HAHAHAHA! Might as well mentioned "Miracle at St. Anna" and "Girl 6" too. Hack!
Lee is pretty clueless.

Last edited by Justin; 12-31-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #62
shained
Y.N.W.A

Send a message via MSN to shained

Really enjoyed this.

I haven't been a huge fan of Tarantin lately. I thought IB was an over indulgent, pretentious snooze fest, Death Proof was just terrible and I didn't enjoy Kill Bill (although I might have to revisit this). Django had the right blend of story, dialogue driven narrative that didn't emerge from its own arse, action and fantastic performances.

I agree with all the praise that Jackson is getting as he is fantastic, but for all the shouts of it being his best performance please watch "Ressurecting the Champ". For me that's one of his best as he strays far away from the typical Sam we normally see. Di Caprio is his usual fantastic self and Christopher Walz was also great as the mentor too Django. I thought Foxx was good too, don't get why some people weren't impressed with him?

Favourite scenes where the big daddy farm killings, "I like the way you die boy" was probably the best line in the film for me, the KKK horse riding bit was hilarious and there were other bits that had me chuckling away. I thought the shoot out in the main house was brilliant but I do agree that a rap song seemed way, way out of the place.

Other gripes were QT giving himself a shocking cameo, the fact James Remar is in it twice! This is the type of QT **** I hate. Giving himself a nod to the spaghetti westerns who used actors 2/3 times because if budget constraints. He doesnt have those constraints and it takes you out of the film which I hate. I also thought it could have ended with Django getting castrated and killed. That would have made a lot more sense than the happy ending we got.

All in all I had a good time with Django and would definitely recommend it.

8/10

Liverpool Football Club

You'll Never Walk Alone

Letterboxd
shained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #63
Dracula
Bloodgod

Django Unchained(12/25/2012)
Being a fan of Quentin Tarentino can be a rewarding, but often frustrating experience. It’s rewarding because Tarentino is one of the most consistent and perennially relevant filmmakers alive, it’s frustrating because the rest of the world frequently perceives Tarentino to be something he’s not. Namely, people seem to be obsessed with the notion that Tarentino is some kind of gore-hound and that his films are among the most violent films ever made, which is almost categorically untrue. It is true that Tarentino is unlikely to make a G-rated film any time soon, but his films aren’t any more graphic than the works of Martin Scorsese, The Coen Brothers, David Fincher, or any number of other auteurs whose names haven’t become synonymous with blood and guts. Sure, some people get killed in Tarentino’s movies and violence is a theme throughout his work but his body counts are much lower than anything you’d see in the average Hollywood action movie and more of the blood is off screen than people seem to think. His latest film is not going to do anything to dislodge Tarentino’s reputation for bloodlust and that’s a shame because, as usual, there’s a lot more going on in it.

Set two years before the Civil War, the film opens with a group of shackled slaves being transported on foot by two armed men on horseback. After walking for days and nights they are approached by a man calling himself Dr. King Schultz (Cristoph Waltz) who claims to be a dentist. After a brief altercation, Schultz shoots one of these men dead, disarms the other, and has the survivor sign a bill of sale for one of the slaves who goes by the name Django (Jamie Foxx). As it turns out, Schultz is interested in Django because he’s a bounty hunter and he believes this slave will be able to help him track down a trio of people who are wanted dead or alive and have a large price on their heads. The two of them are quickly able to track all of these men down and take them out with relative ease. Schultz sees that Django has an aptitude for bounty hunting and offers to take him under his wing and train him in the trade. Django agrees, but only under the condition that Schultz help him track down and free his wife (Kerry Washington), who turns out to owned by a sadistic plantation owner named Calvin J. Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio).

I think a big part of why people seem to think Tarentino’s films are more violent than they really are is because he doesn’t present the violent scenes in his films within a moralistic framework and he also has a tendency to mix violence with comedy. Django Unchained, which brings an irreverent eye to what is arguably the most disgusting aspect of America’s history, may be the apotheosis of this potentially uncomfortable blend. One could argue that he did the same thing with the Holocaust in his last film, Inglourious Basterds, but that film primarily focused on other aspects of the Second World War than Hitler’s genocide. Django Unchained on the other hand takes a very unflinching view of how African Americans were treated in the antebellum era. And yet… it’s also hilarious. It might be the closest that Tarentino has come to making an outright comedy. It should be noted from the beginning that none of this comedy is directed at the victims of slavery. All of the comedy here that isn’t the result of Tarentino’s usual wit is comedy directed directly at the stupidity of Southern racism. No American film has been this unflinchingly interested in the absurdity of hate since Mel Brooks’ Blazing Saddles. Beyond that, there is something cathartic about seeing a strong black man fight back against slave holders.

Beyond the subject matter, Django Unchained definitely has everything one would want from a Tarentino film, maybe too much. The film is clearly a tribute to the Spaghetti Western genre from the typeface of the title cards to the look of the sets and of course the name of the protagonist (which is borrowed from a 1966 spaghetti western starring Franco Nero). You can tell why Tarentino loves this genre so much. The Corbuccis and Leones who made the original spaghetti westerns were Europeans with no connection to the actual American West. Like Tarentino they were essentially making movies based on what they saw in other movies. This affinity for the genre means that Django Unchained borrows many of the original genres idiosyncrasies like heroes with superhuman gunfighting skill and a general disinterest in historical accuracy, and this may be offputting to some audiences, but at the same time it serves as something of a reminder of how fun those films could be in the first place.

The film opens with Luis Bacalov’s theme from the original 1966 film Django and like previous films it features a lot of old selections from Sergio Leone scores. Unlike previous Tarentino films, Django Unchained includes a number of original songs from contemporary artists like John Legend, Rick Ross, and Anthony Hamilton as well as a brand new song penned by Sergio Leone and sung by an Italian singer named Elisa. Like the film itself, these songs incorporate sounds that are associated with Spaghetti westerns but which are made with modern sensibilities and tropes. I think these songs are meant to play into the tradition of the original music that was often featured in Spaghetti westerns like the aforementioned Luis Bacalov song and they fit in pretty well with the older tracks on the soundtrack by artists like Jim Croce. It’s not Tarentino’s best soundtrack, but it is nice to see him branching out after the somewhat conservative Inglourious Basterds soundtrack.

As usual, Tarentino has filled the film with interesting actors in pretty much every role from the stars to the minor bit parts. Fans of exploitation films will recognize a number of faces like Don Johnson, Bruce Dern, Michael Parks, and Tom Wopat. There are also some more contemporary character actors like Walton Goggins and a noteworthy cameo by Jonah Hill. Of the actors in larger roles, the obvious scene stealers are Christoph Waltz (who speaks in a sort of formal dialect throughout the film to hilarious effect) and Samuel L Jackson (who shows up late in the film as a sort of Uncle Tom figure at a plantation the heroes are trying to infiltrate). I was less fond of Leonardo DiCaprio’s work as a vicious plantation owner. His work doesn’t necessarily hurt the film, but as far as villains in Tarentino movies go he doesn’t hold a candle to what Cristoph Waltz was able to do in a comparable role in Inglourious Basterds. I also didn’t necessarily love Jamie Foxx in the lead role. Foxx does alright in the film at times, but he’s never really able to turn himself into a real silent tough-guy in the vein of a Clint Eastwood or Charles Bronson. At his core, Foxx just seems like too much of nice guy to really take on the rage that is supposed to exist at the core of this character.

In short this has everything you’d want from a Tarentino film, and yet, I’m not sure that really adds up to one of his best efforts. In many ways the film feels like something of a big middle finger from Tarentino to his critics. Do you think Tarentino’s films are too long? Well this one isn’t any shorter. Do you think he borrows too heavily from the aesthetics of 60s and 70s exploitation films? Well, this one borrows more heavily from them than any film he’s made since the Kill Bill movies. Do you think that Tarentino has a bad habit of making ill-conceived cameos in his films? Well he’s got one here, and it requires him to adopt an absolutely ludicrous Australian accent. Do you think he’s a bit too eager to include racial epithets in his movies? Well, there are probably more uses of the N-word in this one than in any other film to ever get a wide release. And yes, if you think he’s way to glib with the violence in his films you’ll be “happy” to know that dozens of people are killed in this one and each one dies with a geyser of candy colored blood spurting from their arteries.

As a hardcore fan of the guy’s work I was more than willing to go along with all of the above, but this is not necessarily the film I’d use if I was going to try to defend his work to one of his detractors. More to the point, the film generally feels like it’s a step backwards from what Tarentino was able to accomplish with Inglourious Basterds. That film was almost certainly Tarentino’s most mature effort since Jackie Brown and in its own odd way managed to capture the magic of Sergio Leone’s style in tempo more successfully than this more direct homage ever does. I certainly enjoyed the film, but I enjoyed it more as a surface level exploitation movie than I did as an auteur piece or as a drama. In many ways it’s closer to being the film that Tarentino’s detractors accuse him of making rather than the film he’s truly capable of.
***1/2 out of Four
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #64
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Django Unchained (2012)

I was happy to hear early reports that people were really liking this film. However, it occured to me that people love Inglourious Basterds and I do not. I think it's indulgent and hollow. Still, I was surprised to be so put off by this film.

It started off well enough. In fact, it started out great. I loved the opening scene involving Waltz and Foxx's meeting (despite the increasingly pedantic and self-loving dialogue from Tarantino) and the scenes involving their growing relationship. But somewhere around the time they met up with Leonardo DiCaprio's character, I started to lose interest, and it goes downhill from there. First of all, it was boring. They go on and on about slave nonsense and Jackson's growing suspicion of Django. From this point on the script has nothign to offer.

I've always been a fan of the violence and humor in Tarantino's movies, but in this one, they both didn't work as well for me. The humor was uneven, such as a goofy scene involving KKK members complaining about their hoods, and it rarely meshed well with the subject matter and scenes. The violence was even worse. At least three times a scene's sole purpose appeared to be to bore you for 5 minutes and to all of the sudden have it end in a blaze of guns and gushing blood. It then occured to me that Tarantino has done in this in other movies before, but more sparingly and expertly. After the third or fourth time, it just got ridiculous, and if you've seen it, you know which scene I mean as "ridiculous." Even by movie logic I was having a hard time trying to figure out why some characters had to be killed and/or sadistically injured. There are also bold and epic music interludes between scenes to trick us into thinking we're watching something really special, but don't be fooled.

I am not one of those people who rag on Tarantino for borrowing his material (though I do occasionally get on his case for being a huge egotistical ass). I like watching his movies because they are on a level of entertainment unlike no other. But after his last two efforts, I gotta say he's losing his touch.

**.5/****

59 out of 64 Hugo Award winners completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
What are you trying to prove exactly?
Quote:
I have no idea.

Last edited by JBond; 01-07-2013 at 01:37 AM.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #65
Fanible
FanFreakinTastic

Send a message via AIM to Fanible

Yeah, well... you're an old fart.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #66
Mikey-Bizzle
Executive Producer

Watched this last night thought it was ****in awesome. His best film since Kill Bill Vol.1

8.5/10
Mikey-Bizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #67
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

I watched this once, but my girlfriend is in London, so I kept having to pause or half pay attention to some key scenes, so I am going to give this a second viewing and get back to y'all on my opinion. I didn't have the reaction to this I thought I would, but right now I am blaming them on my lack of attention.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #68
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Pause?

59 out of 64 Hugo Award winners completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
What are you trying to prove exactly?
Quote:
I have no idea.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #69
Justin
Executive Loser

I'm hoping I'll get to see this today. Now I'm a little more worried than I was before. First Neverending, then Jack, and now Jbond.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #70
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

Just watched Django Unchained. Not nearly as good as Inglourious Basterds, but damn, Leonardo DiCaprio is amazing. Good movie.

8/10. Maybe a 8.5/10. I have to think about this.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #71
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

i thought i'd like it more. one of tarantino's films i could live without buying, or for that matter, watching again. it was entertaining, but man, does he need a better editor.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #72
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinTard View Post
i thought i'd like it more. one of tarantino's films i could live without buying, or for that matter, watching again. it was entertaining, but man, does he need a better editor.
It does need a better editor. The traveling bit to Candy Land felt a little long, and the ending was kinda rushed. And yes, I totally noticed the difference in cinematography.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #73
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

the whole scene with tarantino in the movie could have been cut out too. save some 20 minutes in run time.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #74
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

I loved the first hour or so. The whole bounty hunter angle was great. It was after they got to Candieland when the movie lost its steam. Christoph Waltz stole the show again, easily the standout of the whole movie.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #75
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

Yea first hour flew by, was funny and entertaining, classic tarantino. Next two had me checking the clock repeatedly.