The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > MAIN GATE > CS Community

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #1151
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,406
Default

Four might be my favourite scene of the series.
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #1152
Nilade
In glorious Technicolor
 
Nilade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: West Hollywood
Posts: 4,131
Send a message via AIM to Nilade
Default

I'm actually on the edge of my seat for what #1 could possibly be.

I thought LW4 was great also, but LW2 was my personal favorite. I love it how right when Riggs is starting to calm down, tragedy strikes, the true source of his misery is revealed, and Riggs once again becomes a lethal weapon.
__________________
Dattebayo!!!

Last edited by Nilade; 01-07-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Nilade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #1153
Neverending
Ducks
 
Neverending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,695
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilade View Post
I'm actually on the edge of my seat for what #1 could possibly be. LW2 was my personal favorite. I love it how right when Riggs is stating to calm down, tragedy strikes, the true source of his misery is revealed, and Riggs once again becomes a lethal weapon.
#1 - REVENGE / DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY REVOKED / GEORGE HARRISON



VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


Lethal Weapon 2 is a bit sloppy. Most of it is comedic like its two follow-ups. It was rushed into production because of the 1988 Writer's Strike which resulted in some less-than-stellar production values. There's a ridiculous amount of product placement and activism that's a bit distracting. But..... there is one element the film gets right. Which is, to quote Shane Black, "when Riggs gets pissed the audience is happy." In the original movie, Riggs is suicidal but Murtaugh rescues him and gives him a new home and family. But one couldn't help and wonder if the character ever got any real closure. Riggs clearly has some demons and when his buttons are pushed he gets kind of scary. If a guy like him existed in real life you'd be more concerned than supportive. Which is why Murtaugh is so brilliant in the original. He reacts the appropriate way. Having Riggs discover that someone malicious was responsible for his wife's death and unleashing all his pain and anger on this person allows him to close a tragic chapter in his life. Richard Donner directs all of these sequences beautifully and even manages to squeeze in some crowd-pleasing moments like "its been revoked" and one of the great George Harrison songs. Now... before I conclude this list, I have to acknowledge the debate of whether or not Riggs should have died. In Shane Black's version of the script he does. But that's because he always envisioned Riggs as a tragic character and his drafts continued the dark tones of the original. Richard Donner and the studio clearly thought differently and so they brought in Jeffrey Boam to lighten things up and launch a franchise. I guess I'm on Donner's side. I like that Riggs eventually found happiness.
__________________
letterboxd.com/princessmerida
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:19 AM   #1154
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 71,328
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

Cheer Down is a ****ing awesome song.
__________________
The due date for Round 156 of the CS Film Club is Monday, August 25th, 2014.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 AM   #1155
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 71,328
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
[In Shane Black's version of the script he does. But that's because he always envisioned Riggs as a tragic character and his drafts continued the dark tones of the original. Richard Donner and the studio clearly thought differently and so they brought in Jeffrey Boam to lighten things up and launch a franchise. I guess I'm on Donner's side. I like that Riggs eventually found happiness.
Heh, name a franchise where they had the balls to kill a popular main character. There's rumors Indy will die in the next one? Fat chance.
__________________
The due date for Round 156 of the CS Film Club is Monday, August 25th, 2014.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #1156
Neverending
Ducks
 
Neverending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
name a franchise where they had the balls to kill a popular main character.
The Godfather?
__________________
letterboxd.com/princessmerida
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #1157
MasterChief117
The Batman
 
MasterChief117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 13,600
Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
The Godfather?
The God who? We have to name relevant films, Neverending.


And if Indy dies in another movie, I'll shoot someone. Not because he died, but because they made another film.
__________________
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #1158
Neverending
Ducks
 
Neverending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,695
Default

Well, The Godfather IS a franchise.
__________________
letterboxd.com/princessmerida
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #1159
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 71,328
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

There has to be at least 3 films to be a franchise.
__________________
The due date for Round 156 of the CS Film Club is Monday, August 25th, 2014.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #1160
Neverending
Ducks
 
Neverending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
There has to be at least 3 films to be a franchise.
You must have missed the one where Andy Garcia has sex with his cousin.
__________________
letterboxd.com/princessmerida
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #1161
MasterChief117
The Batman
 
MasterChief117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 13,600
Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117
Default

That sounds like a porno.
__________________
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #1162
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 71,328
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

What kind of porn are you watching?




And where can I find it?
__________________
The due date for Round 156 of the CS Film Club is Monday, August 25th, 2014.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #1163
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,406
Default

Great list, Neverending. I'm currently doing a Lethal Weapon marathon because of you. I also side with Donner on Rigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
What kind of porn are you watching?




And where can I find it?
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #1164
Deexan
Reflektor
 
Deexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London
Posts: 12,018
Default

I'm 2/4 from the Lethal Weapon movies so far. Will finish them off at the weekend then do a more thorough reexamination.

Ratings as it stands:

LW1 - 8.5/10
LW2 - 8/10

I feel the downward pattern will continue.

I'll also be watching Loaded Weapon afterwards just for s**ts 'n giggles.
__________________
Don't hang around once the promise breaks
or you'll be there when the next one's made
Deexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #1165
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 71,328
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

Loaded Weapon 1 is a very underrated comedy.
__________________
The due date for Round 156 of the CS Film Club is Monday, August 25th, 2014.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #1166
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host
 
Doomsday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 12,856
Default

Agreed, Loaded Weapon 1 is awesome. Totally up Dracula's alley.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern View Post
note to self: don't forget the G in comingsoon.net :(
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:00 AM   #1167
Neverending
Ducks
 
Neverending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,695
Exclamation

10 DESERVING FILMS THAT WEREN'T NOMINATED FOR A SINGLE OSCAR!



The Oscars are an industry award. In other words, it's the equivalent of a high school presidential election. We like to pretend it's prestigous because its been around since the early days of cinema. But it's really a "f--k you" to many people deserving of some recognition. For example, this year, The Dark Knight Rises did not get a single nomination. Next to Batman & Robin, it's the only Warner Bros produced Batman movie not to be nominated. To quote Nick1998, even Batman FOREVER has more nominations. I think most of us can accept that the film is flawed, but we can also acknowledge its strengths. The movie should have been nominated for Cinematography, Sets, Costumes, and MAYBE Visual Effects. I might even agree to Sound Effects & Mixing even though Bane's voice is ridiculous. The guy was louder than the freaking plane he was on! But anyway, all these talented people were snubbed because Hollywood secretly hates Christopher Nolan. How can your peers celebrate you when they're jealous of you? Steven Spielberg can relate. He was infamously snubbed for Jaws and The Color Purple. So... let's take this moment to look over 10 movies that were rejected by the Academy Awards.


#10 - METROPOLIS (1927)



On May 16, 1929, the first ever Academy Awards were held. It honored the best movies of 1927 and `28. The winner of the first ever Best Picture award was Wings. It's a film that 99.9% of people alive today have never seen. Now, one movie from that time period that has been seen and appreciated is Metropolis by director Fritz Lang. It's one of the most influential science fiction films of all-time. One could make the argument that the first Oscars were a small affair by the Hollywood elite. The ceremony literally only lasted 15 minutes. So why would they waste their time honoring a big-budget German movie that borderline flopped? Still... one can't ignore that they committed a major blunder in their first awards. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Metropolis wasn't even eligible since I don't think they honored foreign films in those days. If that's the case, it shows how close-minded they were from the getgo.


#9 - CITY LIGHTS (1931)



Every year, when Oscar nominations are announced, everyone's immediate reaction is to discuss the people and films that were snubbed. So it is interesting to note that City Lights might be "The First Snub." I mean, if you think about it, how the heck was this movie not nominated for a single Oscar? It was a box office hit, a critical darling, and beloved by several filmmakers. So... what exactly happened? Well, for starters, it's a silent film. By 1931, that was considered primitive. It's like today making a movie on video. Even porn has gone digital. Secondly, Charlie Chaplin was burning bridges at this point. The man lived a very controversial life and was eventually deported by the U.S. government. And lastly, like some of Steven Spielberg's works, people complained that City Lights was too sensitive and manipulative. It's about The Tramp falling in love with a blind girl. So, I can see their point. If a movie like that were released today, people would roll their eyes.


#8 - THE SEARCHERS (1956)



By all accounts, this is a beloved movie. Personally, I think it's overrated and racist. But to each his own. Still, considering that John Ford won 4 Oscars for Best Director, which is a record by the way, how did one of his most popular films not recieve a single nomination? They could have at least given it Cinematography or something. My guess is that in 1956 people said, "oh, this is just another Ford western with John Wayne. Meh." It's like today when people say, "oh, that's just another Tim Burton movie with Johnny Depp. I'll pass." Who knows, maybe in 50 years, Dark Shadows will be a classic.
__________________
letterboxd.com/princessmerida

Last edited by Neverending; 01-13-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #1168
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host
 
Doomsday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 12,856
Default

I tried to make a list like this but...didn't. It's a great idea though. Shows how much more massive the Academy's misses are than hits.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern View Post
note to self: don't forget the G in comingsoon.net :(
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #1169
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.
 
Ramplate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 26,721
Default

Ooo good list idea - There are some amazing examples - even more amazing is the list of great actors who were never nominated and/or won at the Oscars in their entire careers.
__________________
"When I said 'nuke the Chinese' I meant put the take out in the microwave!"
"We're not spies, mate. I don't even speak Russian."
"What?"
"I don't...Am I speaking Russian? How come I'm speaking Russian?"
Ramplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #1170
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,406
Default

Damn it, Neverending. I'm working on this exact list. Way to steal my thunder
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #1171
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer
 
IanTheCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

By all accounts, this is a beloved movie. Personally, I think it's overrated and racist.
Me too.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #1172
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 71,328
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
Shows how much more massive the Academy's misses are than hits.
Actually it shows only one side, by definition, but I agree it's a good list idea.
__________________
The due date for Round 156 of the CS Film Club is Monday, August 25th, 2014.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #1173
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division
 
MovieBuff801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Walter's Lab
Posts: 12,191
Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801
Default

I actually watched City Lights this past week and found it to be pretty "meh" overall. So, I can see your point on that one.
__________________
AFI Top 100 Movies (1998) Seen: 91 out of 100
MovieBuff801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #1174
Neverending
Ducks
 
Neverending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,695
Exclamation

#7 - MARNIE (1964)



Before Steven Spielberg and Christopher Nolan, there was the Oscar's distaste for Alfred Hitchcock. It's hard to believe that one of the greatest filmmakers of all-time never won an Oscar... except for a Lifetime Achievement Award in which his acceptance speech consisted of only two words, "Thank You." But on the bright side, Hitchcock's films usually got a nomination or two, mostly in technical categories. And his first American movie, Rebecca, won Best Picture. None of that, however, is true for Marnie. Many consider this to be Hitchcock's last great film. Although, personally, I think Frenzy is pretty cool. Nevertheless, it's quite clear that the aging Hitchcock lost his touch after Marnie. So, it's a little disappointing that the Oscars couldn't be bothered to give the movie at least ONE nomination. Especially since, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, Bernard Herrmann was never nominated for a Hitchcock film. How the f--k did that happen?! I mean, come on Oscars, at least give Herrmann some love!


#6 - HELP! (1965)



Cinematography? Editing? SONGS?! If you ever needed evidence that Academy members are mostly old people, here's a good example you could use. In a year where The Sound of Music won Best Picture, the fab four from Liverpool were snubbed by the Oscars. They had also been snubbed the previous year for A Hard Day's Night, but at least that movie got nominations for Screenplay and Music Score (George Martin). The most amusing thing about The Beatles' history with the Oscars is that they eventually did win an award. They won for Let It Be in 1971, a year after they had broken up! If that isn't a slap in the face then I don't know what is.
__________________
letterboxd.com/princessmerida
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #1175
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 71,328
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

Marnie was kind of meh for me. I know how Dracula feels about "Help."
__________________
The due date for Round 156 of the CS Film Club is Monday, August 25th, 2014.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.

Contact Us - ComingSoon.net - Superhero Hype! - Shock Till You Drop - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ComingSoon.net is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. All Rights Reserved.