The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > General Movies

Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #1126
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

D3: Mighty Ducks Not that D2 is anything to write home about, but it was at least fun to watch Team USA beat the pants off the rest of the entire world. The first movie is also still an enjoyable family sports movie. D3 is a trainwreck. Watching a mid-pubescent and sexually frustrated Joshua Jackson take on his own teammates at some prep school is a considerable step down from the gravity of the events in D2 (the International Junior Goodwill Games). Also, Emilio Estevez serves no purpose in this film and is in all of maybe 3 scenes despite being top billed. And why would a school change the name of its mascot solely due to a scrimmage between their Varsity and Frosh/Soph teams? And why is Paul Kariya an announcer? And who would want to change their mascot from Warriors to Ducks? And why didn’t my family get a refund after this turd?

Pocahontas Disney had some major animated titans in the late 80s/early 90s. The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King can all be named as some of the best animated films ever produced. My family had a little tradition of all going to see these marvelous films together. After all, how many movies could be enjoyed so much by just about everybody no matter their age? That tradition came to a screeching halt with the crap fest known as Pocahontas. Not only did everyone in my family including my 10 or 11 year old self hate it, but it also abruptly ended our Disney movie tradition. Also, it’s the very clear mark of where Disney’s traditional animated films went very downhill and Pixar beginning to rear its head. Take those four movies I listed before, then compare those to Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Hercules. Oh the times they were a changing.

Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers: The Movie Jesus Christ. How people saw this movie and put it in theaters is beyond me. It would be next to impossible for me not to be tempted to stick my kids in one of those abandoned children’s boxes at hospitals, no matter their age, if I had to sit through this movie with them. And to top it all off, the actor who played the villain Ivan Ooze in this movie, Paul Freeman, is the same actor who played Beloq in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Just…wow.

Home Alone 3 The first Home Alone movie is a classic through and through. Home Alone 2 is great and for some reason gets some flack nowadays (meaning: if you don’t like Home Alone 2, you’re wrong). So why not get excited about Home Alone 3? Nevermind that it doesn’t have the same breakout superstar child actor, or any other actor from the previous films, or any other characters for that matter. Well, that’s what happens when you try to milk a dying cow, you get Home Alone 3, one of the worst sequels to any film franchise in recent memory, although I’ve done a pretty good job at forgetting most of it. It really says something when you see a movie as a 12 year old and hate it even at that age, then you know that someone dropped the ball somewhere.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #1127
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
D3: Mighty Ducks Not that D2 is anything to write home about, but it was at least fun to watch Team USA beat the pants off the rest of the entire world. The first movie is also still an enjoyable family sports movie.
The original doesn't hold up too well, but the sequel is awesome. It's one of the best hockey movies ever made. But you're right. D3 is garbage.

Quote:
Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers: The Movie
It's kind of a guilty pleasure for me, but yeah, it's incredibly flawed.

Quote:
you know that someone dropped the ball somewhere.
The sad thing is they kept making Home Alone sequels.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #1128
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Quote:
Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers: The Movie Jesus Christ. How people saw this movie and put it in theaters is beyond me. It would be next to impossible for me not to be tempted to stick my kids in one of those abandoned children’s boxes at hospitals, no matter their age, if I had to sit through this movie with them. And to top it all off, the actor who played the villain Ivan Ooze in this movie, Paul Freeman, is the same actor who played Beloq in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Just…wow.

[
Oh man.... I use to love that movie as a Kid. I used to watch it at least once a week... So much Nostalgia... Don't HATE!

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #1129
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

Yeah, I still enjoy the first two Mighty Ducks and Home Alone movies to this day. Nostalgia IS a factor in it, but they are legitimately good for what they are.

Speaking of Mighty Ducks, anybody else remember the animated series they made from it where not only was the team comprised of actual, human-like ducks, but they were also, like, intergalactic warriors or something?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #1130
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

You mean this...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #1131
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshuttari View Post
Oh man.... I use to love that movie as a Kid. I used to watch it at least once a week... So much Nostalgia... Don't HATE!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #1132
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshuttari View Post
You mean this...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Yes. Quite a leap the series took. At least they made them hockey players.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #1133
Deexan
Reflektor

Mighty Ducks made ice hockey so popular over here for a year or so that everybody wore MD clothes. I had a tartan jacket with the logo on but I'll be damned if I can find any trace of it on the interwebs.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #1134
Alien
Space traveler

Send a message via MSN to Alien

Quote:
I even watched some of the British tv show which is the polar opposite of what this movie was, even though it included Rowan Atkinson for some reason or another.
Could it have included Rowan Atkinson becuase he is Bean? I'm confused by this statement.
I always flirt with death
I could be killed, but I don't care about it
Je suis le roi des Dauphins!

Last edited by Alien; 01-04-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #1135
Alien
Space traveler

Quote:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I remember that song and, when I'm not listening to it, I actually like it. But I had no idea there was a MMPR music video. That's not how I remember it at all.

This is the video I remember.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL15Ya5fsgo
Old 01-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #1136
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien View Post
Could it have included Rowan Atkinson becuase he is Bean? I'm confused by this statement.
I meant that I'm amazed Rowan Atkinson agreed to do the movie considering how dumb it is and how it's the polar opposite of British comedy.

Oh wait, now I remember....$$$
Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #1137
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Blues Brothers 2000 I’ve never been a Blues Brothers fan even now and have certainly never found the first movie to be all that funny. However at the time when this was released I think I may have been around 13 and knew that the Blues Brothers was a very popular movie in the 1980s. Then again, so was Caddyshack and I think that might be in my top 5 most overrated films of all time. Anyways, I digress. I figured Blues Brothers 2000 would be pretty fun considering the reputation of the original. Then they turned into zombies. And a kid became a Blues Brother. And the black guy from Terminator 2 showed up and started to fly. Gah, when I’m older I’m making my kids pay for their own movies. I’m so sorry, mom.

These next two movies take the cake because I saw them for my birthday in the 5th and 6th grade. Not only did my parents pay for my ticket and theirs, but also the tickets for about 10 of my friends.

Volcano I remember seeing a preview for this movie before it was released. It had had the words VOLCANO on the screen saying something like ‘there are over 10,000 active volcanoes on earth. There is at least one we don’t know about.’ Then some of the letters dissolve leaving only two; LA. ‘A volcano in Los Angeles? AWESOME!’ is what probably went through my mind at the time. Fast forward to my birthday and my parents are watching a movie ripe with sassy, stereotypical black Los Angelinos fighting a roaring volcano emerging from the La Brea Tar Pits with fat, stereotypical cops. Tommy Lee Jones fits in somewhere and they somehow manage to divert the lava into the Pacific Ocean so everything works out alright. But imagine how the pitch would have been for this movie. ‘It’s a volcano in LOS ANGELES! Not Santa Barbara, not San Diego, not Bakersfield or Las Vegas. LOS ANGELES! And check out this sweet idea I had for the trailer…..’

UPDATE: I was actually wondering if this movie was even available on dvd. It is for the wildly overpriced $5.99, but I couldn’t help but see the tagline on the cover.
‘The Coast Is Toast’

“You’ll have a Hell-Lave Time!”
Time Magazine

Honorable mention on the same topic: Dante’s Peak, another one I saw with my family which was more forgettable because it didn’t have a CalTrans worker melting in lava like Volcano did.

Godzilla Coming off the heels of Independence Day, which for a few days dethroned Batman as my all time favorite movie and was also considered by me to be the greatest film in the history of films, I was amped to see Godzilla as were my other grade school minions. Why not see it for my birthday? To be honest, this had a whole lot for a 12 or 13 year old to enjoy. Chases, people being eaten or stomped on or blown up, jets, explosions, all the good stuff. It was like Jurassic Park meets….well Independence Day I guess. But I’m not here to justify my taste as a pre-teen. I’m here to apologize to my parents for making them sit through this horrid movie, a movie that I realized only a year or two later is devoid of any rational thought or original idea. A movie so absurd and critically panned that a planned franchise was s-canned. Unfortunately my little brother got it for Christmas (there comes a point where parents just give up and get kids almost anything they want if only to shut them up) so we all had a few more months to put up with it.

So again to sum it all up, from the bottom of my heart I’m sorry mom and dad. I hope one day you’ll find the goodness in your hearts to forgive me.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #1138
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

I don't know if I can think of 10 movies I regret dragging my folks to, but I CAN think of 2, both of which my mom had to suffer through:

Osmosis Jones: This is the one I regret the most. I'd just turned 11, and had not yet quite gotten smarter about movies, so at the time, I enjoyed it. But looking back on it, I see why my mom loathed its existence: the majority of the comedy relied on the gross bodily functions of Bill Murray's character. And it was after the scene where he pukes all over Molly Shannon's character when my mom leaned over to me and whispered, "I hate this." And she had a point. It IS a Farrelly Brothers comedy, after all. I guess I was just to caught up in all of the animated portions inside the body to care how dumb the whole product was.

Kangaroo Jack: Okay, this may sound sad, but my taste in movies didn't really start to develop til the middle of the 8th grade, and seeing as how Kangaroo Jack came out in the middle of my 7th grade year, I naively fell under its spell. I'm not even gonna try to justify myself on this one, I'm just gonna leave it at this: I was wrong, my mom was right. It took me a re-watch of the film a little over a year later on HBO to see it for the turd it was from Day One.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #1139
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

But Dante's peak had the old woman/grandma melting in the river as she saved all their lives. The dueling movies from studios are always exciting. Someone should list the best matchups and which was better. Deep impact vs Armageddon. Dante's vs volcano. Etc. Etc.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #1140
Deexan
Reflektor

The only movies I remember asking my mum to accompany me to because I had no-one else to go with were Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey and Wayne's World 2.

You're welcome, mum.

n.b. I'll always remember squirming at the beginning of WW2 when Wayne mentions that Garth finally got pubes as I got really embarrassed.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #1141
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinTard View Post
The dueling movies from studios are always exciting. Someone should list the best matchups and which was better. Deep impact vs Armageddon. Dante's vs volcano. Etc. Etc.
Like Father Like Son vs Vice Versa.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #1142
Alien
Space traveler

I'm sure my parents took me to the cinema lots as a kid. They probably helped install my love of movies. But the only movie I remember being taken to by both my parents is, Men in Black, my mum hated the cockroaches.

I remember my mum took me to Kill Bill Vol 2 coz she saw Vol 1 with an Australian family member who was obviously not avalible for the 2nd part. And my dad just took me to Skyfall (I love a free trip to the cinema). But I was grown up for both of these examples so I don't know if they count.

Normally though my girlfriend's parents take us to the cinema coz they are bigger movie buffs than my family.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #1143
shained
Y.N.W.A

Send a message via MSN to shained

I honestly don't think I've ever been to cinema with my mum.

Liverpool Football Club

You'll Never Walk Alone

Letterboxd
shained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #1144
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Hehehe, hey guys check it out. They're calling it the 'cinema' ohhhoho my.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #1145
Max Spence
Grip

After all the hype, real 2012 never happened, after that end-of-the-world BS is irrelevant for me. Playing on those type of fears will never be the same I guess...
Max Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #1146
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

I'm going to make a new list unlike my others in the style of one of our other CS! posters. Last weekend for kicks I watched Return of the Jedi. Although I love each of the films in the OT, for some reason people just don't hold this one to as high of a standard. 'It's for kids!' they say. 'It's too cheesy!' they say. I say you're crazy.

In the style of Neverending comes a Doomsday list...

10 Reasons Why 'Return of the Jedi' Isn't the 'Kids' Movie That People Say It Is

Torture

As a kid this was one of the toughest scenes to stomach out of the whole trilogy. We know Luke will pull through in the end but we didn't want to see him electrocuted by an ugly wizard for 3 minutes, screaming and writhing in pain.

And what about that droid getting his feet burned in Jabba's palace?

The Ewoks were going to EAT them

After getting captured the Ewoks tied up the Luke and Co. for a good old fashioned Endor barbeque. It was only when C-3PO, AFTER telling them to stop, was able to levitate thanks to some Jedi magic courtesy of Luke that they took a rain check.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #1147
Neverending
Ducks

I see what you're doing... but "Return of the Jedi" is a bad movie nonetheless.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #1148
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

I like Return of the Jedi a lot. The lows are undoubtedly low, but the highs are incredible.

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #1149
Neverending
Ducks

There are no high's. Except, Princess Leia in the golden bikini.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #1150
Justin
Executive Loser

Hahahaha....I forgot all about the Ewok scene. They had an insatiable appetite for human flesh.