The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: rate and comment
10 2 10.53%
9 6 31.58%
8 9 47.37%
7 1 5.26%
6 1 5.26%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #26
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Seems like I'm not the only one losing my mind about an actor playing two different roles. Completely odd.

I love Christoph Waltz in this movie. I was completely captivated by him, and seeing him go toe to toe with DiCaprio was awesome. As previously mentioned, I think Waltz was pushed off far too quickly. I'm not sure why, but he was.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #27
MasterChief117
The Batman

Favorite parts of the movie, feel free to add or subtract (apologize in advance for language as follows)

- "Is that a nigga on a horse!?"
- Holes in Bags
- "Did I SAY treat him like a white fella?"
- "I count six shots, nigga!" "I count two guns, nigga!"
- Everything Samuel L Jackson said.
- "You had my curiousity, but now you have my attention."
- Django's shootout with the music. Glorious
- "Say goodbye to Laura."
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
Old 12-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #28
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveus1011 View Post
BASTERDS had the better screenplay, DJANGO had the better directing.
Basterds was better scripted and directed. But Django has better performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelixx View Post
I thought Jackson was the best performance of the film
I will say this again... why is he not a contender for an Oscar? There's lots of buzz about Waltz and DiCaprio, but Jackson was clearly better than both. Is the Academy just too scared to honor an Uncle Tom? Is that what it is? BTW, I'm not asking you personally. I'm just making a general statement.

Quote:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
And I really have to appreciate that Tarantino blew himself up in his own movie haha. Sadly, most in my theatre had no idea that was QT.
Nothing beats him playing the rapist in Planet Terror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief117 View Post
- "Is that a nigga on a horse!?"
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #29
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

Quote:
Favorite parts of the movie, feel free to add or subtract (apologize in advance for language as follows)
Is it really necessary to post the racial slurs here?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #30
MasterChief117
The Batman

If you take offense to it, then I guess not. I didn't realize you were of African American descent. I was merely posting quotes from a movie, and would do know different if I was quoting a passage from Huckleberry Finn. It is in the tone of the film, and with no disrespect to any who can take offense to it.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #31
MasterChief117
The Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
Basterds was better scripted and directed. But Django has better performances.

I will say this again... why is he not a contender for an Oscar? There's lots of buzz about Waltz and DiCaprio, but Jackson was clearly better than both. Is the Academy just too scared to honor an Uncle Tom? Is that what it is? BTW, I'm not asking you personally. I'm just making a general statement.

Nothing beats him playing the rapist in Planet Terror.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Whoa, becareful, he says some bad words in there...might not want to offend people.

Beyond that, I absolutely love that movie. You won't hear me budge on anything. That scene, "Where the white women at?" and of course the toll booth are absolutely hilarious.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #32
Angelixx

Something else I remembered about the movie: That group of um, hillbillies lets say, living at Candyland, with the dogs and what not? The ones that Django shoots up in the small shack? Was the one with the scarf across their face quite clearly a woman to anyone else? Was there anything to that, like some reference or point that I missed?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #33
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelixx View Post
Something else I remembered about the movie: That group of um, hillbillies lets say, living at Candyland, with the dogs and what not? The ones that Django shoots up in the small shack? Was the one with the scarf across their face quite clearly a woman to anyone else? Was there anything to that, like some reference or point that I missed?
That was Zoe Bell, the New Zealand chick from Death Proof. She was also Uma's stunt double on Kill Bill. Before that, she was Lucy Lawless' stunt double on Xena. Tarantino has a hardon for her.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #34
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

I think "hard-on" is hyphenated.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #35
Angelixx

Quote:
That was Zoe Bell, the New Zealand chick from Death Proof. She was also Uma's stunt double on Kill Bill. Before that, she was Lucy Lawless' stunt double on Xena. Tarantino has a hardon for her.
Ooooook gotcha. I was wondering why she got those close-ups only to have her character come to nothing.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #36
MasterChief117
The Batman

I was hoping they would explain that but I guess that reason is reason enough. Still didn't really understand it. A couple other moments during the film I didn't quite grasp but oh well.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #37
SnoBorderZero
There is no bathroom

Send a message via AIM to SnoBorderZero

Not his best, but still a very good movie complete with all the Tarantino essentials. It's really fun in the beginning, slows a bit in the middle, and becomes a blast once DiCaprio enters the picture. The music was excellent, except I thought the contemporary rap was very out of place, even the Tupac track. I was digging the '70s feeling for the 1800s, should have kept with it throughout. The action sequences are both hilarious and awesome, and Christopher Waltz should be a mainstay in Tarantino films from here on. Short review but I just flew across the country and I'm tired.

8/10
SnoBorderZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #38
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

Quote:
I didn't realize you were of African American descent.
You don't need to be to find that offensive (although I am of African descent). Words and symbols carry a lot of power and meaning. In the context of the film, I can see it being necessary. In the context of an online messageboard, I can see not being a dick and using asterisks the decent human being thing to do.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #39
SnoBorderZero
There is no bathroom

Send a message via AIM to SnoBorderZero

While watching the film, I kept thinking about how Spike Lee (who has criticized Tarantino in the past for his use of the "N" word) would react to the film. The guy has to keep himself relevant by criticizing other filmmakers (Clint Eastwood as well) because he hasn't made anything worth watching in years. I'm sure he would absolutely hate this film, but if it was made by someone other than Tarantino would applaud it. Hack.
SnoBorderZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #40
Deexan
Reflektor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
You don't need to be to find that offensive (although I am of African descent). Words and symbols carry a lot of power and meaning. In the context of the film, I can see it being necessary. In the context of an online messageboard, I can see not being a dick and using asterisks the decent human being thing to do.
So you wouldn't have said anything if he typed n*gga instead, even though you and everybody else on here would've read it in the exact same way?

It only carries power if people allow it to. He's not being offensive, you're just choosing to be offended.

Last edited by Deexan; 12-29-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Deexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #41
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoBorderZero View Post
It's really fun in the beginning, slows a bit in the middle, and becomes a blast once DiCaprio enters the picture.
DiCaprio is in the middle. That whole Calvin Candi/Mandingo/Rescue Scheme is the second act. It's kind of amusing that people thought the movie was gonna end during that section of the film. It would have been anti-climactic if it did. Even with the shootout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
I am of African descent.
I thought I was alone.

Quote:
I kept thinking about how Spike Lee (who has criticized Tarantino in the past for his use of the "N" word) would react to the film.
http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_ne...ghetti-western

Quote:
Spike Lee on 'Django Unchained': 'Slavery was not a Spaghetti Western'

Don't expect Spike Lee to be in the audience when "Django Unchained" hits theaters on Christmas Day. The "She's Gotta Have It" filmmaker is not going to see it, and took time out to bash the flick on Twitter, after slamming it in an interview with Vibe Magazine.

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it," Lee told the mag when asked if he planned to see the film. "All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors."

But that actually wasn't all he was going to say.

"American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves. Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them," Lee wrote.

This isn't the first time Lee has criticized Quentin Tarantino's body of work, however.

When "Jackie Brown" was released in 1997, Lee said, "I have a definite problem with Quentin Tarantino's excessive use of the n-word. And let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word--I've used that word in many of my films--but I think something is wrong with him," according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #42
Deexan
Reflektor

Well, technically, we're all of African descent.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #43
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

I'm Martian.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #44
Justin
Executive Loser

Spike just needs to keep his mouth shut. No one else seems to give a **** but him. If that's how a character talks, then that's how they should be written.

Last edited by Justin; 12-29-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #45
MasterChief117
The Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
I'm Martian.
That would explain why you are so much better looking than the rest of us.

I think, I stress I THINK, I might've enjoyed this more than Inglorious Basterds.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #46
MasterChief117
The Batman

Quote:
While watching the film, I kept thinking about how Spike Lee (who has criticized Tarantino in the past for his use of the "N" word) would react to the film. The guy has to keep himself relevant by criticizing other filmmakers (Clint Eastwood as well) because he hasn't made anything worth watching in years. I'm sure he would absolutely hate this film, but if it was made by someone other than Tarantino would applaud it. Hack.
Well, our theater was packed with african americans and everyone of them seemed to love it from what I over heard, as well as the fact everyone clapped. I think he is just wanting attention because nobody gives him any.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #47
nine1wing
Executive Producer

Quote:
Let me guess, was it Shaft? A Black person getting revenge on racist white people has been done to death. This movie wasn't intelligent or daring or anything like that. It's a pretty simplistic blaxploitation film. Just because we saw a slave get eaten by a pack of dogs doesn't mean the movie was "deep." Blazing Saddles had more to say about racism and human nature. And that film ended with the characters running into streets of Burbank. I mean, look, Django Unchained is a GOOD movie but I'm tired of people over-praising Tarantino. The guy isn't that great. All he does is reference other movies. It gets old after 20 years.
I completely agree with what you said, especially your last sentence.
nine1wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #48
Deexan
Reflektor

Frickin' Martians coming over here and taking our moderating jobs!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #49
Justin
Executive Loser

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #50
Jack
Executive Producer

God help me but...Neverending is right. The music selection here is off. The rap song in the 2nd to last shoot out is a major culprit (and did it have a bit of dialogue from Fox earlier in the film?). However, I do also think Sally was missed - there was fat to be trimmed, and scenes didn't end with a punctuation mark like his other movies do. Kind of makes me feel like she was something of a crutch for him. In general it just felt sloppy. That aside, I still really enjoyed it. And take major point with the "just another blaxploitation" tag. Those movies are here in force, as well as many others, no doubt. Still, I can't think of a film that has dealt more directly with the ****ing savagery that is American slavery as head on as this film does, with such visceral detail. Tupac and German bounty hunters and all. It is brave in that regard.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote