The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: rate and comment
10 2 10.53%
9 6 31.58%
8 9 47.37%
7 1 5.26%
6 1 5.26%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Neverending
Ducks

Arrow Django Unchained

Let me start off by addressing the elephant in the room. Sally Menke was a great editor and she will be missed. That being said, Fred Raskin (of Fast & Furious fame) did a good job on Django Unchained. The REAL culprit here was the music. Love him or hate him, Quentin Tarantino has always been a master of "the needle drop." But here, the man lost his touch. Django Unchained has, by far, the worst soundtrack of any Tarantino movie. NOW... don't misunderstand me. The songs aren't bad. If you purchase the album, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. What I'm saying is that his selections don't fit the images. For example, the film opens with a group of slaves roaming through Texas, and what we're hearing to accompany this montage is the theme song to the original Django which has nothing to do with this movie except for the main character's name. It's utterly pointless and doesn't set the proper mood. Another example is during an intense scene where Django may be killed. Instead of putting something dramatic, or heck, no music at all, we get a 2Pac song. I'm guessing Tarantino used up all the good spaghetti western scores in the Kill Bill films, so he's grasping for straws here. It's totally the weak link in Django Unchained... and not the editing. But anyway, other than that, the movie is fine. It's one of Tarantino's weakest efforts, and definitely NOT worthy of a Best Picture Oscar nomination, but I'm sure his fans will get a kick out of it nonetheless. I remember some of ya'll defended Death Proof and that flick was terrible. I will say this though... Tarantino accomplished here what George Lucas failed to do earlier in the year with Red Tails. He made an enjoyable exploitation film for Black audiences. Django Unchained works for what it is, but it isn't high art or anything special. Like Jackie Brown, another Tarantino blaxploitation flick, the movie won't matter much a decade from now.

Last edited by Neverending; 12-27-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

That's too bad to hear.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
That's too bad to hear.
On the bright side, Dexter's dad plays two different characters for no reason whatsoever.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

I got the complete different thing from Django Unchained. I think it was thrilling, intelligent, brave, rare and awesome. A movie that striked me intelligently, it made me laugh hard and impressed me with brilliant action scenes. I think it dragged in places (definitely near the end) but some EXCELLENT performances definitely brought me right back into it. I think this might be my favorite or second favorite film of the year. Not to mention, this was a great bonding experience with my Sister. I now have so many great quotable moments to share with her.

A
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
Fanible
FanFreakinTastic

Send a message via AIM to Fanible

I had a lot of fun. It's easily one of my favorites this year, and I agree it had some fantastic performances. Sadly, I didn't think Foxx was one of them, but he was good as is. The people that really excelled were Waltz, DiCaprio and Jackson. In fact I'd go as far as to say that this is easily one of Samuel L Jackson's best roles to date.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
MasterChief117
The Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanible View Post
I had a lot of fun. It's easily one of my favorites this year, and I agree it had some fantastic performances. Sadly, I didn't think Foxx was one of them, but he was good as is. The people that really excelled were Waltz, DiCaprio and Jackson.
Agreed. I think I would have liked what they did originally for Foxx, which was to keep Django more quiet and reserved. For me that worked a lot more and as the movie progressed, he talked more and the performance was not as good. I just don't think his dialogue was a deep or as interesting as the rest (although he did have some cool lines).
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
JBond
Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
On the bright side, Dexter's dad plays two different characters for no reason whatsoever.
Maybe one of them is a ghost.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
MasterChief117
The Batman

That part was strange. I kept thinking maybe I just saw two different actors but no, it was him. Also was a bit thrown off by QT's cameo.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief117 View Post
I think it was thrilling, intelligent, brave, rare and awesome.
I guess you've never seen a `70s blaxploitation flick. That's all this movie was. Tarantino is a notorious copy & paste artists. The only "original" contribution by Tarantino was having it set pre-Civil War South.

Quote:
I'd go as far as to say that this is easily one of Samuel L Jackson's best roles to date.
Yeah, I agree with that. I'm actually surprised he's not a contender for a Support Actor Oscar nomination. To me, he gave the best performance in the movie.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
MasterChief117
The Batman

I have. I guess you have never seen an action movie, comedy movie, drama movie, horror movie or anything like that. Every movie is technically a 'copy and paste'. Regardless, this movie was awesome. I had some nitpicks with it, like the length which was definitely stretching it and Foxx performance was just decent. I didn't like how Waltz's character storyline went, but beyond that. I loved this film.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief117 View Post
I have.
Let me guess, was it Shaft? A Black person getting revenge on racist white people has been done to death. This movie wasn't intelligent or daring or anything like that. It's a pretty simplistic blaxploitation film. Just because we saw a slave get eaten by a pack of dogs doesn't mean the movie was "deep." Blazing Saddles had more to say about racism and human nature. And that film ended with the characters running into streets of Burbank. I mean, look, Django Unchained is a GOOD movie but I'm tired of people over-praising Tarantino. The guy isn't that great. All he does is reference other movies. It gets old after 20 years.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
saveus1011
Directive 4 (Classified)

Send a message via AIM to saveus1011 Send a message via Yahoo to saveus1011 Send a message via Skype™ to saveus1011

Except the part where this shows Tarantino's growth as a director. Incredible fun, and arguably the most I've had at the cinema this year.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
MasterChief117
The Batman

I never over-praise QT. I like two of his movies, maybe three. I've seen Blazing Saddles millions of times, I've seen Shaft, Black Dynamite and so many more. I'm not absent minded to the ideology behind black explotation. Again, it is my opinion and clearly many others.

And if you take 'because we saw a slave get eaten by a pack of dogs' as a just because...then I think I took more from the scene, or at least felt more in the scene. Especially with the fact that the interaction between Leo and Foxx was far more important. But neither here, nor there. When you don't like something, everyone must think that or they're just too loving to that creator or idiots. I get it.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveus1011 View Post
Except the part where this shows Tarantino's growth as a director.
This movie is a step down from Inglorious Basterds. How is that growth? This movie isn't even in the same league as Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Kill Bill. How is that growth?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #15
saveus1011
Directive 4 (Classified)

Send a message via AIM to saveus1011 Send a message via Yahoo to saveus1011 Send a message via Skype™ to saveus1011

Quote:
This movie is a step down from Inglorious Basterds. How is that growth? This movie isn't even in the same league as Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Kill Bill. How is that growth?
Dialogue doesn't feel as indulgent as BASTERDS. This is in the same league as that film, so yes it's better than his entire filmography (except maybe the aforementioned.)
Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #16
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveus1011 View Post
This is in the same league as that film
Inglorious Basterds is a silly film that took itself too seriously. And Django Unchained is a serious movie that was too silly. So, I get what you're saying. They're different sides of the same coin. But I think Basterds was better made. It didn't have a distracting soundtrack and pointless homages.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #17
Justin
Executive Loser

That's a relief. I'd hate to think that this was as self-indulgent as Basterds. I'll try and see it this weekend.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #18
JBond
Beyond

I agree.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #19
Nick1988
Executive Producer

Quote:

Let me start off by addressing the elephant in the room. Sally Menke was a great editor and she will be missed. That being said, Fred Raskin (of Fast & Furious fame) did a good job on Django Unchained. The REAL culprit here was the music. Love him or hate him, Quentin Tarantino has always been a master of "the needle drop." But here, the man lost his touch. Django Unchained has, by far, the worst soundtrack of any Tarantino movie. NOW... don't misunderstand me. The songs aren't bad. If you purchase the album, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. What I'm saying is that his selections don't fit the images. For example, the film opens with a group of slaves roaming through Texas, and what we're hearing to accompany this montage is the theme song to the original Django which has nothing to do with this movie except for the main character's name. It's utterly pointless and doesn't set the proper mood. Another example is during an intense scene where Django may be killed. Instead of putting something dramatic, or heck, no music at all, we get a 2Pac song. I'm guessing Tarantino used up all the good spaghetti western scores in the Kill Bill films, so he's grasping for straws here. It's totally the weak link in Django Unchained... and not the editing. But anyway, other than that, the movie is fine. It's one of Tarantino's weakest efforts, and definitely NOT worthy of a Best Picture Oscar nomination, but I'm sure his fans will get a kick out of it nonetheless. I remember some of ya'll defended Death Proof and that flick was terrible. I will say this though... Tarantino accomplished here what George Lucas failed to do earlier in the year with Red Tails. He made an enjoyable exploitation film for Black audiences. Django Unchained works for what it is, but it isn't high art or anything special. Like Jackie Brown, another Tarantino blaxploitation flick, the movie won't matter much a decade from now.

This was a pretty bad review, you complained about the music for most of it, with out even explaining why (other than the music) it's his weakest effort.
Regardless you saying it's his weakest effort really doesn't mean anything, your the same guy who said Batman Forever was better than Batman Begins or The Dark Knight Rises,one of those 2.. a ridiculous statement for either film

Can't wait to see this movie, been hearing it's really good.
Nick1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #20
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1988 View Post
you complained about the music for most of it, with out even explaining why (other than the music) it's his weakest effort.
I didn't say it was his weakest effort. I've made it quite clear that Death Proof is his worst movie. But anyway, until you've seen the movie you won't understand what I'm talking about. His music selections ruin a lot of important scenes. And if you hate rap music, which many people here do (I'm NOT one of them), there's at least two big scenes you're gonna dislike.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #21
MasterChief117
The Batman

I actually liked the music.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #22
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

My movie lover friend Keith said he went into this with rally low expectations and ended up surprised by how much he enjoyed it.

4/5 stars, per Keith.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #23
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Django Unchained marks the last of my big films of 2012. When I say big films, I’m not referring to blockbusters, I’m referring to the few films that I was extremely excited for. Every year there are a lot of films that I look forward to, but only a few that I anticipate strongly. This year, the list was Prometheus, The Dark Knight Rises, The Master, and finally Django. I imagine most film buffs had similar feelings toward Django given the talent behind it. Quentin Tarantino is one of the best working directors today, continuously putting out consistent and entertaining films. I’ve always admired the way Tarantino takes B-story elements and mixing them with A-list talent and the idea of mixing a spaghetti Western with American slavery seemed an intriguing idea.

The film opens with a group of slaves being taken through the woods by two slave runners. Among the slaves is Django (Jamie Foxx), a slave who has recently been through extreme sorrow, which includes being separated by his wife (Kerry Washington). The group are met by Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz), a bounty hunter who needs Django’s assistance. King is tracking a group known as the Brittle Brothers, but he doesn’t know what they look like. Django does, and so King takes Django in and trains him as a bounty hunter. King also agrees to help Django save his wife from the detestable Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio).

Tarantino films have a long standing tradition of great dialogue, and Django continues that legacy. Characters have very energetic and intelligent conversations and I love hearing them speak. This isn’t one of his most quotable films, but the dialogue still has an exciting flair to it. There’s also an underlying tension to all of the conversations. The bullets could start flying at any minute should a character say or do the wrong thing. Tarantino also crafts an interesting revenge tale which is entertaining and surprising despite its simplicity.

Tarantino also fills the movie with interesting characters, played by great actors. Jamie Foxx is great in the title role. He starts out as someone a bit quiet and repressed by slavers, but his experiences with King allow him to branch out and become a charismatic badass. It’s a nice little arc which is done subtlety and is slightly reminiscent of the arc Foxx portrayed in Collateral. Christoph Waltz is also highly entertaining as King Schultz. His performance isn’t far removed from his work in Inglorious Basterds, but his menace being replaced by a certain warmth and his relationship with Django felt genuine. Sam Jackson also gets to play a character far removed from his usual work which is interesting to see. Speaking of different, it is awesome to see Leo DiCaprio play a villain. DiCaprio takes his natural charm and twists it for a character who is ruthless and despicable. Calvin Candie is easily the most repulsive character DiCaprio has ever played, and I loved watching it. His work is award worthy and stands out in both the film and DiCaprio’s filmography. The only actor that fumbles the ball is QT himself. I’ve never minded Tarantino’s acting, but he has a brief role as in Australian slaver. Seeing Quentin is extremely distracting and his performance his awful. Still, Tarantino aside, this is a very strong cast.

The film is punctuated by some absolutely brutal violence, another trademark of Tarantino. The violence comes in quick flashes, but it leaves its mark when it comes. While some may say the action goes too far, I find most of it very entertaining. There are some awesome shoot-outs, particularly in the third-act when Django hits a new level of badassery. These scenes are stylish, bloody, and highly memorable. This reflects a trend in Tarantino’s films. While he always showed panache for dialogue and character, his early works are very restrained visually. But with Kill Bill, Quentin began pushing his visual sensibilities and this has continued with Django Unchained.

Though I did highly enjoy Django Unchained, it is not a perfect film. I’ve already mentioned Tarantino’s horrid cameo, but the film has a bigger issue; the editing. At two hours and forty five minutes, Django Unchained runs a bit long. I have no problem with long runtimes if it feels warranted, but I feel Django could have been cut down. This is made very obvious in the film’s third act where the film had what seemed like a climax before continuing for another twenty minutes. These last moments lose a lot of energy and felt unnecessary. I also wasn’t entirely on board with how parts of the story progressed in the film’s final moments. I suspect the pacing can mostly (if not entirely) be linked to the fact that Tarantino is working with a new editor. All of Tarantino’s past films were edited by Sally Menke who passed away a few years ago. I imagine having to work with a different editor for the first time was hard for Quentin and that their relationship might have been very awkward. It’s also important to note that editor Fred Raskin has never worked with an A-list director before and likely didn’t feel comfortable standing up to Quentin.

Even with its problems, Django Unchained is still one of the year’s best. The acting is great, the story is interesting, the action intense, and the dialogue crisp. The film is also made with a confidence and efficiency most films can’t attain. It definitely ranks in the bottom half of Tarantino’s filmography, though that likely says more about how much I enjoy his other works than how flawed Django is.

Rating: A

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
saveus1011
Directive 4 (Classified)

Quote:
Inglorious Basterds is a silly film that took itself too seriously. And Django Unchained is a serious movie that was too silly. So, I get what you're saying. They're different sides of the same coin. But I think Basterds was better made. It didn't have a distracting soundtrack and pointless homages.
BASTERDS had the better screenplay, DJANGO had the better directing.

The other thing about QT is that he never once forgets you're watching a movie.

Last edited by saveus1011; 12-28-2012 at 12:45 PM.
saveus1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #25
Angelixx

Quote:
I seriously thought I was losing my mind during the movie, I spent a good 15 minutes trying to figure out if this was just double casting or some weird ass plot point.

Quote:
I had a lot of fun. It's easily one of my favorites this year, and I agree it had some fantastic performances. Sadly, I didn't think Foxx was one of them, but he was good as is. The people that really excelled were Waltz, DiCaprio and Jackson. In fact I'd go as far as to say that this is easily one of Samuel L Jackson's best roles to date.
Agreed. I thought Jackson was the best performance of the film, followed in a tie with DiCaprio and Waltz. I wish we could have got a bit more Leo. I did really liked Foxx's performance, much more than I thought I would, but he still did not come close to the other three.

As for the music in the film, I liked it well enough, but I've come to expect to be blown away by the soundtracks for QT films so I was definitely disappointed in this one. I usually go out and download the soundtracks the moment I'm home from the theatre on his flicks but I'll pass on this one.

Overall, Django definitely isn't my favourite QT film but I did really, really enjoy it. It's definitely one of my favs this year at least. However, the Klan scene might be my all time favourite scene from a Tarantino film ever; I don't think I've laughed that hard in a movie in a long time lol

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
And I really have to appreciate that Tarantino blew himself up in his own movie haha. Sadly, most in my theatre had no idea that was QT.