The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > General Movies

Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #26
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Ty Of Ross View Post
Well I still need to see about 4 or 5 movies (Brave, MIB 3, Amazing Spidey, Rise of the Guardians and Les Miz) but I would likely rank the 8 I've seen this way:

1. Avengers- Best Super Hero Movie Ever: Period
2. The Hobbit- Not LOTR... but really did I expect it to be. No and it's still excellent for what it is.
3. The Hunger Games- Decent Adaptation
4. Ted- Nothing with so many Flash Gordon references could be wrong... except maybe Flash Gordon
5. Rock of Ages- I was surprised at this one myself, very much enjoyed it and that likely means I'm getting old.
6. Prometheus- The story intrigued me but the payoff didn't deliver.
7. Dark Knight Rises- Could have been an ok movie (still not great) if not for the laughable Bane, hard to feel the menace when you can't stop chuckling at the villan. The only redeming quality in this movie was Anne Hathaway who was scandalously underused.
8. Snow White and the Huntsman- Someone needs to MST3K this drek. Oh and get Kristen Stewart a piece of cheese.
I found Bane to be a great villain, very imposing. Is it the voice that throws you off? As for catwoman, I think she was used just the right amount.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #27
Ser Ty Of Ross
Knight of Angels

Weird double post.

Might as well useit

The voice was a major part of it and the mask. He reminded me a lot of Krang from the old TMNT cartoon, I actually found the crappy Bane from B&R to be more intimidating (not neccisarily better but more intimidating). Couldn't take him seriously at all. Add that in to problems with Alfred, not much actual Batman and once again the most interesting character in the whole movie being underused and this movie lost my interest and didn't manage to regain it.

Last edited by Ser Ty Of Ross; 12-27-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Ser Ty Of Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #28
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Yeah, can't say I agree with the Bane bit. Tom Hardy's performance was awesome.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #29
Justin
Executive Producer

Snow White and the Huntsman shouldn't be anywhere near a top ten list.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #30
jonk
know not with whom you mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I would in no way ever describe this as a "good movie", but it was actually one of my guilty pleasures of the year. I thought it was fun.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #31
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVader 2004 View Post
6 The Amazing Spiderman

Not a bad movie
I like how this is enough to make your top ten list.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #32
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiverrabbit View Post
1. Delicassy
2. A Monster in Paris
3. A Cat in Paris
4. Zarafa
5. Paranorman
6. Paranormal Activity
7. REC 3 Genesis
8. Madagascar 3
9. Sinister
10. Ice Age Continental Drift
Fiverabbit has the best lists.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #33
Dhamon22
High Flying Bird

Send a message via AIM to Dhamon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk View Post
I would in no way ever describe this as a "good movie", but it was actually one of my guilty pleasures of the year. I thought it was fun.
I agree. Its a very popular movie to talk crap about for some reason and while I would never say it was good I thought it was fine. But yeah, nowhere near my top 10.

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.com

@theredboxreport
Dhamon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #34
Ser Ty Of Ross
Knight of Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Agreed... but when you've only seen 8 movies.....
Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #35
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

As of right now "The Dark Knight Rises, Skyfall, and Avengers are pretty high up.

Some great surprises for me like "Les Mes" and "Cabin in the Woods"

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #36
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshuttari View Post
Some great surprises for me like "Les Mes" and "Cabin in the Woods"
You liked Les Mis? Then, speak up in the Review Thread.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #37
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Yeah I should...

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #38
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

10. The Raid

A powerful crime lord has held himself up n an apartment complex with his own personal army. A S.W.A.T team has been sent in to take him out, but they’ll have to fight through hell first.

The Raid is not a film mainstream audiences are familiar with nor is it one the various awards bodies have chosen to acknowledge. But to the internet film fan, The Raid is one of the most satisfying films of 2012. The film is a constant barrage of action and badassery, aided by real stunts and extremely tight editing and directing from Gareth Evans. There’s also just enough story and character beats placed throughout to keep audiences invested. Some may dismiss the film for its simplicity, but to do that would be to miss the point.

“Pulling the trigger is like ordering take out.”

9. The Avengers

After years of build up, Earth’s mightiest heroes must band together in order to stop Loki from conquering the planet.

While I’m not as in love with The Avengers as I once was, it’s still a great film which remains entertaining throughout the two hour runtime. The action scenes are truly fantastic and there are at least four top notch set pieces. What really makes the film though is the characters and the interaction they share. I could watch this team share the screen all day and I can’t wait to see where the story goes next.

“If it’s all the same to you, I think I’ll have that drink now.”

8. Django Unchained

Former slave Django is freed by bounty hunter King Schultz. The two become a bounty hunting team and eventually set out to rescue Django’s wife from the vile Calvin Candie.

Django Unchained has a lot one could criticize. The film is too long, there’s a horrid cameo, and the theme of revenge was analyzed much better in Tarantino’s Kill Bill saga and Inglorious Basterds. And yet, the film is so entertaining that these issues don’t bring it down nearly as much as one would expect. Quentin Tarantino still crafts some great dialogue, makes some very tense scenes, the violence is gloriously over the top, and the acting is great from almost everyone. If nothing else, the film proves that Tarantino makes great films even on a bad day.

“The ‘D’ is silent.”

7. Prometheus

A group of scientists discover evidence that links human origins to beyond our solar system. A crew is sent to a far off planet to investigate and find more than they bargained for.

Prometheus is a film I love in spite of itself. Certain character moments don’t make sense, the film has a lot of plot holes, and at times it feels rushed. And yet the film’s successes are so many that I can overlook a lot of the issues. There’s some great acting for example, mainly from Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender. Ridley Scott also brings his talent for great effects and technical details. I also love the connections to the Alien universe. Most importantly though, Prometheus features an abundance of ambition. One could even argue it’s the most ambitious film of 2012. So maybe it doesn’t hit every beat it aimed to, at least it had the balls to try.

“Big things have small beginnings.”

6. Skyfall

A foe from M’s past has returned to challenge MI6. The timing couldn’t be worse as Bond is struggling to recapture his old talent.

James Bond and Sam Mendes returned to form in epic fashion with Skyfall. This is the perfect mix of an old-school Bond adventure and a modern Bond film. We get the thrills, set-pieces, and excitement one could want from an escapist adventure, while maintaining the commentary on character and setting the previous Craig films have had. A lot of care is put into the story and characters but the film still features great action scenes. Overall, Skyfall is one of Bond’s strongest outings and the best blockbuster of 2012.

“Think On Your Sins”

5. Argo

In the 1970s, the American embassy in Iran was overrun and held hostage. A handful of Americans escaped by hiding in the Canadian embassy. CIA operative Tony Mendez hatched a plan to break them out by creating a fake movie production.

With Argo, Ben Affleck has established himself as a great director. Stepping away from his Boston crime roots, Affleck tackles a bigger story and in the process has made his best film yet. Affleck tells the story masterfully, weaving from drama to genuinely funny comedy. The fact that both elements of the film work so well is almost miraculous. Affleck is also able to build a remarkable amount of tension and there are several scenes which show this skill off. Also worth acknowledging are the performances which are all quite strong. Argo may not have the same level of depth as a thriller like Munich, the film is so well made it doesn’t really matter.

“Argo **** yourself.”

4. Zero Dark Thirty

The film chronicles the ten year manhunt for Osama Bin Laiden through the eyes of a CIA operative named Maya.

Kathryn Bigelow surprised a lot of people in 2009 with The Hurt Locker. Bigelow, who had previously been most notable as the director of Point Break, would go on to win a Best Director Oscar and The Hurt Locker would win Best Picture. Zero Dark Thirty is her return to film making and she proves beyond a shadow of a doubt The Hurt Locker was no fluke. Zero Dark Thirty is an engrossing picture which sucks the viewer in from the get go. Bigelow’s direction is bang on and she creates some great scenes. The film also does a great job bringing the viewer through the manhunt while still being firmly rooted in Maya. Speaking of Maya, Jessica Chastain’s performance is phenomenal and her best work yet. She is able to evoke so much with so little dialogue one can’t help but be impressed. And for all the talk of the film’s political agenda, the fact is Zero Dark Thirty is very objective. The film merely presents the events which unfolded and lets the audience decide how they feel.

“I’m the mother****er that found this place.”

3. Moonrise Kingdom

Two troubled kids run away from home to live together in the woods. A search party goes out led by a cop, a mildly depressed father, and an over enthusiastic cub scout master.

Moonrise Kingdom was the first great film I saw in 2012 and it has remained one of my favourite films throughout the year. Perhaps the film’s biggest strength is how it is full of themes and imagery but is also constantly entertaining and accessible. This is in large part thanks to a great script from Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola who keep the story interesting and give the characters great dialogue. There’s also a lot of great performances from veterans like Bruce Willis, Ed Norton, and Bill Murray, but also from newcomers Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward. Really though, the whole cast is great. Wes Anderson’s unorthodox style also adds a lot to the film and helps craft a truly delightful and poignant tale.

“What kind of bird are you?”

2. Silver Linings Playbook

After spending a year in a mental institiute for assault, Patrick is finally being released and returned to his family. Patrick still has some issues to work through but finds himself entangled in the life of Tiffany who, like Patrick, has mental health issues of her own.

The romantic comedy is a genre generally considered to be one of the worst. And while a majority of romcoms released each year are crap, Silver Linings Playbook reminds audiences that, like any genre, romantic comedies can produce great films. The way the film twists the usual genre cliches is fun to see, but the real pleasure of the film comes from the characters. I genuinely fell in love with the people in this film and the performances that brought them to life, especially Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Robert De Niro. The film is funny, sad, intense, light, fun, frustrating, unpleasant, likable, cynical, and hopeful all at the same time. Like real life, it’s a mixture of every emotion. The film captures reality extraordinairly well, a testament to the talent of David O. Russell as both a writer and director. As much as I love dark and cynical films I also love a brighter look that says people can find happy endings if they work hard enough. Silver Linings Playbook is a film that earns its optimism and I can honestly say I would recommend this to anybody. A perfect crowd pleaser.

“When life reaches out with a moment like this it’s a sin if you don’t reach back.”

1. The Master

World War II veteran Freddie Quell is drifting through life aimlessly. One evening, he drunkenly stumbles across Lancaster Dodd, the leader of a group called “The Cause”. Dodd takes Quell in and attempts to cure him.

As the years go by, The Master will be the 2012 film I’ll go back to the most. No other film had me ponder so many different ideas and themes. I still think about what writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson wanted to say and also think about what the film means to me. I’m not sure if I can fully breakdown the thematic currents which run through the film, but I look forward to studying the film again through the years. Even if one ignores the thematic ideas, The Master is still a brilliantly well-made film. The visuals Anderson puts into the film are mesmerizing and complimented nicely by Johnny Greenwood’s score. I also love Anderson’s script which is unformulaic and unpredictable. The film also has some of the best performances I’ve seen in years. Joaquin Phoenix, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Amy Adams are all unforgettably good in their respective roles. What’s also impressive is that all three are equally good in different ways and never over shadow each other. The “test” between Quell and Dodd early on is the best acting I’ve seen in any film all year.

Some people have been split by the film, admiring several elements but ultimately being left cold by the film. I never had this problem. I was thoroughly entertained by The Master and while few people would describe the film as “fun”, I had an amazing time watching it. To me, The Master is everything a great film should be. Made with excellent craftsmanship, superb acting, and bursting with ambition. The film is everything I wanted it to be and then some. Paul Thomas Anderson, you truly are The Master.

“I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.”

CS! Record Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes). April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

AFI: Top 100 (98), Top 10 (Gangster, Science-Fiction).

Best Picture Nominees: 1953, 1962, 1976, 1985, 1989, 1997, 2000, 2003-2013.

Blog, letterboxd, twitter.
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #39
Justin
Executive Producer

Mine is similar. Nice job.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #40
Justin
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheCool View Post
Fiverabbit has the best lists.
It's always a weird combination of horror and animated children's movies.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #41
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Great list, Coop. Solid choices.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #42
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

I'm tempted to go ahead and throw my list up as well, but since it's currently "lying in wait" on Coop's site, I may just wait til then.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #43
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!

Movies I haven't seen that are supposedly good: Silver Linings Playbook, The Master, Moonrise Kingdom, Life of Pi. Les Miserables (I highly doubt I would enjoy Les Mis all that much though)

10. Chronicle – A very unorthodox take on the superhero genre that I really enjoyed. A lot of it was a character study on Andrew, who was basically an abused teenager who happened to be granted super powers, and the inevitable fall out of it. Some of the “found footage” elements I found pretty cheap (I can buy Andrew being a weirdo and filming everything with his camera – but Matt’s popular girlfriend also happens to be someone who films everything she sees “for her blog?” Really? Even when she’s in danger?) but it was an effective character story that I totally bought and had some very powerful imagery that I enjoyed. I had heard that
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
”One of them turns evil” was the basic premise of the plot early on, and so for a lot of the movie I assumed that Andrew (the underdog guy) was the hero and that Matt (his popular jock cousin who did drugs and whatnot) would end up being jealous or something and would end up being the villain, so when it actually turned out to be the opposite, I found it to be an effective character study in a sympathetic abused and neglected kid getting superpowers and then having it consume him. Much more powerful than I ever expected.

9. 21 Jump Street – Not much to say about this from a critical perspective, but it was one of the funniest comedies I’ve seen in quite some time. A constant stream of jokes that were hilarious. The best pure comedy of the year.

8. The Amazing Spider-Man – Without a doubt, one of the movies I’ve seen recently that has surpassed my expectations to the highest degree. I expected to absolutely hate this movie, especially seeing that it seemed like an unnecessary cash grab. I came to terms with it for awhile, but fell into a rage when I learned that YET AGAIN they would be telling an origin story. Seriously? We’ve already seen his origin story onscreen! Why on earth couldn’t you tell a new story with him being Spider-Man already, en media res? It angered me to no end. The reviews also seemed somewhat lukewarm, so I went into it with little expectations. And, to my surprise…I loved it. The part I loved the most was how freaking EFFICIENT it was at character interactions – there was no weird drama or misunderstandings, characters expressed their feelings, revealed their secrets, and cut through all the bullcrap immediately with no forced “misunderstandings” or drama. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

7. The Dark Knight Rises – After going over this list, I find it surprising that I actually have this movie this high up considering that I actually overall considered the movie “disappointing” considering my expectations. But the reason I found it “disappointing” is because of the fact that Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are probably two of my favorite films of all time. This movie has some extremely uneven elements – especially regarding the villains’ motivations and actions, as well as some incredibly uneven pacing problems. That being said, I still find there is a lot to love about this movie. Probably the thing I love the most is the fact that
this is the first Batman story to actually have some sort of finish line for Batman/Bruce Wayne, without actually killing him – he has fulfilled his duties and is allowed to enjoy life. And best of all, he’s allowed to enjoy it with Selina Kyle, which I absolutely loved seeing.
If you want more of my thoughts on this movie, check out my Superhero Rankings thread, but overall the fact that I felt a lot of joy and catharsis at this movie overrides the facts that I also had a lot of issues and questions about plot holes.

6. Lincoln – I’m okay with the fact that this movie is apparently going to win Best Picture – I would have gone for Argo, myself, but I certainly feel like this movie deserves it over Zero Dark Thirty, which was the frontrunner before the nominations revealed that Bigelow wasn’t nominated for Director. As a Civil War and Lincoln buff, I wish this film had focused more on Lincoln’s strategic brilliance, especially regarding the fact that the 13th Amendment was less of an altruistic move and mostly a brilliant strategic play to guarantee that Britain wouldn’t align and send military help to the Confederacy. That was honestly my biggest problem with the film, which I’m sure most people wouldn’t care about – if the 13th Amendment hadn’t have passed, there was a very high likelihood that the British would have joined up their military might with the Confederacy and the war would have been swung dramatically. The passing of the 13th amendment (and the Emancipation Proclamation to some degree, but the amendment finalized it) hamstrung the British and forced them to stay out of it – had it not have passed, the British could have rationalized involvement in the war as some sort of support for independent nations getting their own rights (while actually supporting the South because of economic reasons – namely, the fact that they bought their cotton from there and slave labor in the southern United States was a huge boon to their economy). However, the 13th amendment fully solidified the Civil War as a “slavery vs. non-slavery” issue, whereas before it could easily be viewed as a “state’s rights” issue. When it could be viewed as a “state’s rights” issue, the British could have potentially intervened under that rationale and not been seen for the lesser for it – but the fact that Lincoln so emphatically forced the war into being a slavery vs. non-slavery issue with the 13th amendment made it so that the British (who had outlawed slavery themselves, despite years of benefiting from southern US slavery work) had absolutely no way to intervene without being seen as hypocrites. The movie completely ignores that tension and seems to regard the South as being dead in the water and never mentions the possibility of British involvement at all, which I think kills a lot of the tension. In addition, the ending where
we see some sort of fake out where we are actually watching a DIFFERENT play than the one Lincoln gets killed at, and someone enters to say that “The president has been shot…in a different theater!” is incredibly cheap and stupid.
Other than that? I loved it. The performances were exquisite, especially DDL (duh) and Tommy Lee Jones. It still showed a lot of Lincoln’s political acumen and genius in generous amounts, and, honestly, DDL WAS Lincoln onscreen, and it was a blast to see.

5. Looper – There are a gigantic amount of plot holes in this film, but that’s pretty inevitable when dealing with time travel. More importantly, the movie basically has characters acknowledge it and tell the audience “Listen. There will be plot holes. It’s inevitable. Time travel is confusing stuff. Just go with it and let us tell a story.” And it told a pretty damn good story. The characters were compelling, the action was great, and I felt that everything was earned. JGL and Willis both did fantastic jobs acting, and some of the later action scenes with Willis were extremely reminiscent of Die Hard and acted as a far better “Die Hard” sequel than Die Hard 4 did. The ideas presented were clever, some of the scenes (especially regarding Paul Dano’s future self realizing what they’re doing to his younger body as he tries to escape) were absolutely brilliant pieces of cinematography.

4. Skyfall – I have to admit that looking back on it, I might be giving this movie too much of a curve given the fact that it’s a James Bond movie, and traditionally James Bond movies are supposed to be nothing but fluff. If this was a movie about some sort of other spy or secret agent who wasn’t named James Bond it would still be quite good, but the fact that I was so taken aback by the way that this film was so full of character development, personal backstories, and personal touches in a series that (while I love) mostly treats its main character as “stand in for male wish fulfillment” really made me love it. If it was just some new spy character we hadn’t met before I probably wouldn’t have cared as much, but the fact that this movie had you actually care about the iconic James Bond as a human and a character (including his back story, his personal fears, and especially his relationship with M which was handled absolutely sublimely and was actually the main driving point of the movie) made me absolutely love it. As I said in the review thread, I think Goldfinger (which is on an entirely different wavelength and has completely different aims and goals) is probably the best “James Bond movie,” but Skyfall in my opinion is the best overall standalone movie in the entire franchise.

3. Django Unchained - Just a blast. Absolute top notch acting, action, and humor, and the parts that are supposed to be serious and unsettling completely worked. One of my biggest complaints in movies in general is abrupt tone shifts, and on the whole this one SHOULD have fallen under that category - going from humorous moments to over the top action scenes to horrific moments showing the terrors of slavery in the blink of an eye is usually something I rant about negatively. And yet, somehow, it absolutely works here and I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m not sure how exactly it pulls it off (maybe it has something to do with the fact that the humorous moments are incredibly hilarious, the action is awesome and the serious parts are so hauntingly effective) but somehow the dramatic tone shifts all seemed very natural and all three elements were pulled off excellently. I've actually never been a gigantic QT fanboy or anything growing up (I enjoyed his work overall, especially Pulp Fiction and the Kill Bill movies, but never gushed over them or anything and saw quite a few flaws) but him releasing Inglorious Basterds and then this I’m starting to get converted, as both were among my favorite films of their respective years.

2. Argo - If I had a vote for Best Picture this would be it (as Avengers is obviously not really a "Best Picture" type movie.) Suspenseful and great, with fantastic acting. My only issue initially was the Affleck cast himself as a Hispanic, but after learning that the real Mendez looked completely whitebread and didn't look Hispanic at all I didn't have much of a problem with it. Even though you knew exactly what was going to happen I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Unlike Zero Dark Thirty (which I saw but is most definitely not on this list as I didn't care for it) it really allowed you to connect with the characters involved which is what made the thrilling parts thrilling. Every time Argo wins Best Picture/Drama and Affleck wins best director at one of these non-Oscar awards shows I fistbump a little bit. Other than Dark Knight not being nominated for Best Picture in 2008, I think Affleck not being nominated for Best Director is the Oscar snub I’ve probably been the most upset about over the last decade or so. (which is funny considering that in the early 2000s when he was releasing stuff like Pearl Harbor and Gigli and “Bennifer” was a thing, I absolutely hated the guy. But he’s completely won me over by showing that he is a phenomenal director, and this is his best work.)

1. The Avengers - Is it the best film of the year? Given how simple it is, probably not, but it was my favorite, so it's the top of the list for me. Pure glee all around. The action, humor, and (my favorite part) the character interactions all get an A+. It is very, very rare that I'm hyped about seeing a movie for years and I hear nothing but glowing reviews and then the movie itself actually exceeds my heightened expectations.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #44
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

10. Skyfall

I'm not that big of a Bond fan, but I do like the Danial Craig interpretations. Skyfall was a pretty fun movie which was not scared to play around with Bond's iconic image. One of the better action films of the year.

9. The Grey

This was certainly my biggest surprise of the year. I wasn't expecting much with this story of wolves hunting plane crash survivors in the arctic, but what I got was a great survivalist film. It reminded me a lot of deliverance. Liam Neeson gave the film a lot of weight and a pretty great showdown wit the Wolves. If you are skeptical on this one, I recommend giving it a look.

8. The Dark Knight Rises

Okay, yes this was a slightly disappointing entry into Nolan's batman trilogy, but its still pretty damn good. It may have pacing and tonal problems, but it also has a great villain, wonderful aesthetics, and it provides a great conclusion to the series.

7. Moonrise Kingdom

I may not be on the Wes Anderson bandwagon, but I do appreciate some of his films, and this is certainly one of his best. Its witty and sweet, and the 1960's isolated-island setting was a lot of fun.

6. Argo

Ben Affleck's real events-based thriller was a great two hours at the movies. Between the suspense in Iran to the lighter comedic stuff in L.A., this film found just the right balance of both to make it an effective and entertaining movie.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #45
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

5. Django Unchained

Tarantino's go at the western genre is certainly a romp. The first half is much stronger than the second, but damn is it a good first half! Christoph Waltz is the majority of the reason its so strong. He puts in yet another amazing performance. Sam Jackson is right behind him however, giving one of his strongest turns in quite some time.

4. The Avengers

Yes, this movie is complete fan service. And yes, it is more style over substance. And yes, it is completely calculated in its efforts to derive pleasure in the audience. And it worked on me damn it. Chances are this one isn't going to hold up over time, but this year I can still say that it exceeded my expectations.

3. Prometheus

I honestly don't understand the backlash towards this film. The arguments either seem to be unfounded (it didn't provide any answers!) to annoying nitpicking (A scientist wouldn't take off their helmet!!). When I came out of the theaters, I was pumped. I had just seen a imaginative sci-fi vision with some great moments of discovery and terror. A wonderful film.

2. Zero Dark Thirty

The first half of this film was a bit of a letdown, to be honest. It seemed pretty regular. Then I realized that it was really just building up momentum for the incredible second half, eventually leading to taht gripping assault on Bin Laden's compound. This is one great, intense film full of great performances, especially by Chastain who anchors the whole thing. Convtroversy be damned! I dont know exactly what happened, nor do I believe I or most of us ever will. But I do know when a movie captures me, and this one did.

1. Lincoln

This was another big surprise for me this year, as I usually find biopics to be sleep-inducing affairs. But Spielberg played it right here, focusing on one aspect of Lincoln's presidency (mind you, a pretty important one) and having a script which was witty, charming, and thrilling. Not to mention chalk full of great performances.
You know those movies which seem like they were made for you in particular? That was the case for me here. This felt like The West Wing in the 18th century, and since The West Wing is my favourite TV show, I ate this film up. Loved it.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #46
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Great list.

CS! Record Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes). April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

AFI: Top 100 (98), Top 10 (Gangster, Science-Fiction).

Best Picture Nominees: 1953, 1962, 1976, 1985, 1989, 1997, 2000, 2003-2013.

Blog, letterboxd, twitter.
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #47
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

1. Silver Linings Playbook
2. Skyfall
3. The Avengers
4. Looper
5. Lincoln
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. Brave
8. Argo
9. Prometheus
10. Zero Dark Thirty

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 AM   #48
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!

So am I the only one who didn't like Zero Dark Thirty?

In all fairness, I went into it after hearing everyone rave about how it was going to win the Oscar hands down. But while I did like the visuals, I hated, hated, hated the way it treated its characters (other than Chastain) from a cinematic and storytelling perspective. Jason Clarke was the most interesting and compelling character and for the first third of the movie it seemed like he was the co-lead, and then they basically removed him from the film for a long period of time (they gave a justification for it, but it's not based on historical fact, so from a storytelling perspective there was no reason to get rid of him), then he gets like 7 minutes to himself, and then he comes back for the last third and becomes an extra who gets no dialogue. What? They randomly introduce characters constantly without any explanation of who they are, what their jobs are, or why they are important. In the last third of the movie, for example, Mark Duplass randomly shows up and is shown to be Chastain's good friend, and out of nowhere he becomes her close friend figure during all the meetings and whatnot while Clarke (the man who she spent years and years with and who trained her) sits silently in the background. Wait, what? Wouldn't it have been better for her to be socializing with Clarke...you know, the character that we actually saw her develop a friendship with? Now you introduce some random dude with no character development that we've never seen before (and is hard to take seriously since the actor is mostly in wacky comedies) as her close friend and the guy who you actually built up as a character and as a friend of the protagonist in the first part of the film is just an extra in the background with no dialogue? It infuriated me.

The raid at the end was definitely well done but I was angry that we basically spent zero time with any of the Marines involved and couldn't tell any of them apart except Edgerton (who got some screentime but not a personality) and Pratt. I'm not saying the story should have focused on them, but it would have been a thousand times more powerful if we actually had some sort of investment (or, really, ANY distinguishing characteristics) about the characters who were involved in the climax and the most important scene. It is not cinematically satisfying to have the climax involve nothing but disposable and indistinguishable characters who were only introduced for the first time (and not very thoroughly) a few minutes prior.

Last edited by bbf2; 01-31-2013 at 02:28 AM.
bbf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 AM   #49
Justin
Executive Producer

The Grey was an underrated movie for sure.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #50
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

so many over sized pictures in this thread...
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote