The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > General Movies

Old 12-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari
Default Top 10 movies of 2012.

I haven't decided on mine yet. But I thought most of you guys do. So go ahead and post and let us know why!

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Still waiting on a few major films before I make my list.

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Me too, still need to check out Lawless and Ted on dvd and see Les Miserables, Zero Dark Thirty and The Hobbit in theaters.

I can name a few movies I enjoyed a lot like End of Watch, Looper and The Master, but none that I was really blown away by. I could make a 'top 10' just based on how I rank them, but some like Hunger Games or The Campaign shouldn't be on a top 10 regardless.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Riveting thread.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

Movies I'm waiting to see before I make my final list: Django Unchained, Les Miserables, Zero Dark Thirty, Promised Land, Bernie, Life of Pi (maybe).
Old 12-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Django, Les Mis (more because of its reputation than the film itself), Life of Pi, Zero Dark Thirty, and The Hobbit all spring to mind. That's not to say there aren't other films I'm interested in, but those are the big ones.

Disappointed I didn't get a chance to see Cloud Atlas.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
Dracula
Bloodgod

Yeah, we're still a week away from Django and Les Miserables and it looks like it will be almost a month before the studios deem those of us outside of NY and LA worthy of seeing Zero Dark Thirty (I may have to pirate that one or something, this is driving me nuts). Beyond that I need to see Amour and Rust and Bones, and have to catch up with a whole lot of stuff I skipped in theaters. In short, making a top ten list before at least late January is MADNESS unless you have access to press screenings.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Yeah, we're still a week away from Django and Les Miserables and it looks like it will be almost a month before the studios deem those of us outside of NY and LA worthy of seeing Zero Dark Thirty (I may have to pirate that one or something, this is driving me nuts). Beyond that I need to see Amour and Rust and Bones, and have to catch up with a whole lot of stuff I skipped in theaters. In short, making a top ten list before at least late January is MADNESS unless you have access to press screenings.
Forgot about those. I'd like to see them, but I doubt I'll have a chance anytime soon.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

Quote:
it looks like it will be almost a month before the studios deem those of us outside of NY and LA worthy of seeing Zero Dark Thirty (I may have to pirate that one or something, this is driving me nuts).
Zero Dark Thirty opens wide on January 11th, which is only 3 weeks away, but yeah, if I find a decent copy online...well, we'll see.

BTW, I don't care about the excuse of "too much competition," -- I'm still pissed that Sony moved the wide release of ZDT back til then. I was really looking forward to seeing it before the end of the year.

Last edited by MovieBuff801; 12-19-2012 at 03:44 PM.
MovieBuff801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Dracula
Bloodgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviebuff801 View Post
Zero Dark Thirty opens wide on January 11th, which is only 3 weeks away, but yeah, if I find a decent copy online...well, we'll see.

BTW, I don't care about the excuse of "too much competition," -- I'm still pissed that Sony moved the wide release of ZDT back til then. I was really looking forward to seeing it before the end of the year.
I wouldn't mind if they were waiting until January to release it everywhere, but it's going to drive me crazy listening to every critic, news pundit, Angelino, and New Yorker gush about the thing for all that time. The ****ing thing will feel like old news by the time I get a chance to see it... legally. It's not like this is some foreign film that needs to build up buzz.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

I know Vader's list is done?? Am I right?? Huh??

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
Bane
Executive Producer

Vaders 2012 Movie List Top 10

Iron Man III
Thor II
Pacific Rim
Zero Dark Thirty
Django Unchained
The Wolverine
Riddick
Man of Steel
Avengers II
Star Wars VII

All awesome movies - just ask him.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Dhamon22
High Flying Bird

Send a message via AIM to Dhamon22

Quote:
I wouldn't mind if they were waiting until January to release it everywhere, but it's going to drive me crazy listening to every critic, news pundit, Angelino, and New Yorker gush about the thing for all that time. The ****ing thing will feel like old news by the time I get a chance to see it... legally. It's not like this is some foreign film that needs to build up buzz.
Yeah its way too early unless you're a movie critic who goes to all the major releases and gets screeners.

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.com

@theredboxreport
Dhamon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

You might be surprised what my top 10 will be but I need pics instead of just word fellas

10 Men In Black 3

Its better then MIB2 and thats all it needed to be. Only draw back was not enough Tommy Lee Jones but Brolin is good.

9 Snow White And The Huntsmen

I liked the movie pretty well Hemsworth was good and Theron. It just was too bad twilight and Ed and Bella kinda overshadowed the movie because of Snow White and The Director story.
If there is a sequel however I don't think Stewart should be fired but Director man for easily Burton could direct Snow White 2.

8 The Expendables 2

The only reason this movie makes my top 10 is Norris Cobra joke.
To be fair this is better then Expendables 1 but it needs work on the scripts and a better acting Villain

7 The Grey

Great movie and Neeson was great in it. There are some obvious wolf effect issues but it was low budget so I didn't have many complaints there really

6 The Amazing Spiderman

Not a bad movie at all there are things Webb did I liked. The Lizard was kinda dissapointing and looked more like Killer Croc
But I liked how it too Peter a While to master his abilities
Its not Raimi's version but it will do.

5 Rise Of The Guardians

This was a great movie. Not sure why it didn't do better BO wise. It made me feel good when left the theater and thats what makes it a good holiday movie.

Skyfall

Who cares that Arnald is back for Bond is Back and its been a long wait. Skyfall is not as good as Royale but its a good return and it sure has been missed. Almost a Billion WW seems unreal for a Bond movie but its a great film

3 The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey

I know many don't like the movie and I did here but I have no problems with putting it 3rd place. Its not Rings but Its Fantasy enough to put a smile on my face

2 The Dark Knight Rises

Great Movie and I think despite Connery Bane and Alfred Leaving Bruce which is not Alfred at all it was a better movie then TDK but for me not as good as Begins
Great Ending to Nolans Trilogy but still think should have done a 2 parter like Harry Potter 7

1 Avengers

Marvel is back on top after years of being dominated by Batman. Avengers finally a Movie I can say is better then a Nolan Batman film.
It take too long to say why liked the movie. Simply put Joss is a genius.
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Vaders 2012 Movie List Top 10

Iron Man III
Thor II
Pacific Rim
Zero Dark Thirty
Django Unchained
The Wolverine
Riddick
Man of Steel
Avengers II
Star Wars VII

All awesome movies - just ask him.
Zero dark Thirty nor Riddick 3 would be on my list and its not even 2013 yet. So why not find yourself a nice Jawa cave Bane and stay there a while.
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
Hollywood
Executive Producer

I think End of Watch and Silver linings Playbook make 2 of the 10 spots so far. Still thinking of remaining 8.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #17
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Its way to early to make a list yet. I honestly have no idea right now whats going to come out on top for me.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #18
jonk
know not with whom you mess

People saying it's too soon for an end of year list are funny, how can it be too soon? It's 1 week to the end of the year!

Due to a new addition to the family, I have seen very few films over the past couples of months, meaning there are A LOT I’m still waiting to see. So I will just have to base a list on the films I did manage to see earlier in the year:

1. The Dark Knight Rises - It wasn't quite up there with TDK, but I loved seeing Batman up against Bain. As great as The Joker was, you always knew Batman would come out on top. I wasn't so confident for Batman in this film, and I think that's where this film succeeds.
2. The Avengers - It was everything I wanted it to be. The interaction between these characters was handled perfectly, and it left me wanting more.
3. Chronicle - An original superhero story which surpassed many of the recent years established characters.
4. Looper - This made the tired time-travel storyline fresh, and had me hooked throughout.
5. Skyfall - After the awful Quantum of Solace, Bond is back to his best, facing of (in my opinion) against this years best villain.
6. Prometheus - A film that disappointed many. No it didn't quite live up to the hype. But if it had been everything I wanted, it would have been my number 1. As it is, it's still a film I enjoyed a lot, I loved the nods back to the Alien films, and personally I welcome a follow up.
7. The Cabin in the Woods - Original horror films are hard to come by...but Josh Whedon proved his genius again with this fantastic and fun horror flick. If you're a fan of 70-80's horror films like me, this is a must see. Just make sure you know as little as possible before watching.
8. End of Watch - Didn't know what to expect from this film, but I loved it! Made so great because of the chemistry between the two leads.
9. Amazing Spiderman - I was worried about this when it was announced, and didn't feel the reboot was needed at all. But I loved it! This would have been higher on the list, if it weren't for the Lizard CGI which removed me from the film at times.
10. 21 Jump Street - Forget Ted, this was my favourite comedy of the year.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk View Post
People saying it's too soon for an end of year list are funny, how can it be too soon? It's 1 week to the end of the year!

Because there's a lot of films to catch up on.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #20
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

I have way too many movies to watch before I make this list. I still need to see Skyfall, The Hobbit, Django Unchained, Lincoln, and a few others from the beginning and middle of the year. I'll wait a few weeks, perhaps a few months and post them around Oscar time.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #21
Fiverrabbit
Executive Producer

1. Delicassy
2. A Monster in Paris
3. A Cat in Paris
4. Zarafa
5. Paranorman
6. Paranormal Activity
7. REC 3 Genesis
8. Madagascar 3
9. Sinister
10. Ice Age Continental Drift
Old 12-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #22
docstop
Hockey Legend

Here are my 10.

1. The Avengers

2. Skyfall

3. The Bourne Legacy

4. The Dark Knight Rises

5. The Hunger Games

6. The Hobbit

7. The Expendables 2

8. Wrath of the Titans

9. The Amazing Spider-Man

10. Won’t Back Down
Old 12-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #23
Mikey-Bizzle
Executive Producer

Bearing in mind I'm yet to see Argo, Life of Pi and Django My top ten are:

1. Dark Knight Rises
2. Skyfall
3. The Avengers
4. Prometheus
5. Looper
6. Chronicle
7. Dredd 3-D
8. Safe House
9. Cabin In the woods
10. The Amazing Spiderman
Mikey-Bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #24
jonk
know not with whom you mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheCool View Post
Because there's a lot of films to catch up on.
So why don't we just wait until the end of 2013 when everyone has had a decent chance to watch every film released in 2012?

I understand that people are unlikely to have seen all the films they would have liked to (I for one have a long list of films i'd still like to see), my point is the timeliness of the question shouldn't be scrutinised as we're now in the last week of the year.

Fair enough, caveat your list with an "I'm still yet to see...", but it shouldn't stop you from making a list based on those films you have seen. Otherwise, why bother joining in with the thread at all?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #25
Ser Ty Of Ross
Knight of Angels

Well I still need to see about 4 or 5 movies (Brave, MIB 3, Amazing Spidey, Rise of the Guardians and Les Miz) but I would likely rank the 8 I've seen this way:

1. Avengers- Best Super Hero Movie Ever: Period
2. The Hobbit- Not LOTR... but really did I expect it to be. No and it's still excellent for what it is.
3. The Hunger Games- Decent Adaptation
4. Ted- Nothing with so many Flash Gordon references could be wrong... except maybe Flash Gordon
5. Rock of Ages- I was surprised at this one myself, very much enjoyed it and that likely means I'm getting old.
6. Prometheus- The story intrigued me but the payoff didn't deliver.
7. Dark Knight Rises- Could have been an ok movie (still not great) if not for the laughable Bane, hard to feel the menace when you can't stop chuckling at the villan. The only redeming quality in this movie was Anne Hathaway who was scandalously underused.
8. Snow White and the Huntsman- Someone needs to MST3K this drek. Oh and get Kristen Stewart a piece of cheese.