The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Movies Coming Soon

Old 12-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #726
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

Yea nobody likes the old star trek, not like it has some sort of cult following or anything, with conventions, movies, books, Tv shows, etc based solely on that following.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #727
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Yeah, and Berman built that right?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #728
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

So if you don't like the new ones than that means you want Berman to come back and make more? Perhaps the next time someone complains about a bad Bond movie I'll remind them about The Man With the Golden Gun and tell them to shut their yapper.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #729
Knerys

My dislike for Abrams vision is not vote to Berman's. I had my issues with what he thought Star Trek was (Enterprise is a glaring example). The franchise had lost its way but this flashier style does not make it not greater now. It's marketing style over substance. It lost an oppurtunity to show Kirk as a green cadet, making mistakes, learning from them, being resourceful. Instead he had all the answers handed to him. He had the bloody command handed to him! There were brief moments where there could be something, but this still a franchise I love being batted around by a man how has openly declared he has no interest in exploring what made it great in the first place.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #730
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond
So if you don't like the new ones than that means you want Berman to come back and make more? Perhaps the next time someone complains about a bad Bond movie I'll remind them about The Man With the Golden Gun and tell them to shut their yapper.
When you come in here repeatedly complaining about how bad Abrams' version of Star Trek is and how it just doesn't feel like Star Trek, then what is your other solution? Just coming around complaining over and over again about how it is ruined or not as good ad nauseum. We get it if you don't like it, but it does get annoying to those of us who are also Trek fans who DID enjoy it. If you want to be sarcastic and keep it up, nobody can stop you I suppose, but it remains annoying and unproductive to the conversation (trolling defined).

Last edited by Ewok Droppings; 12-25-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Ewok Droppings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #731
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerys View Post
My dislike for Abrams vision is not vote to Berman's. I had my issues with what he thought Star Trek was (Enterprise is a glaring example). The franchise had lost its way but this flashier style does not make it not greater now. It's marketing style over substance. It lost an oppurtunity to show Kirk as a green cadet, making mistakes, learning from them, being resourceful. Instead he had all the answers handed to him. He had the bloody command handed to him! There were brief moments where there could be something, but this still a franchise I love being batted around by a man how has openly declared he has no interest in exploring what made it great in the first place.
And I can appreciate that. I do look forward to watching Kirk's mistakes in this upcoming movie. I like the line that Pine gives to Kirk about how he was brash and it cost lives of his crew. I do hope to see the character development. To me though, THIS is more what Star Trek was about then what Berman had made TNG into.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #732
Knerys

TNG was cut off at the height of it productivity. There were certain things I didn't like, like the Troi/Worf romance (blech). But what started it was Berman's desire to stop the series to make the movies. There was still people like Jeri Taylor and Michael Pillar around with some creative control.

And maybe we'll see that Kirk this time. And for the record I still have faith in the actors, especially Karl Urban. But these writers do not impress me.

Last edited by Knerys; 12-25-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Knerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #733
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

With Orci and Kurtzman I feel like you're always going to get a kind of Michael Bay-esque storyline, so I can see the critique for the writers. What gives me hope though is that the series has been set in motion for a good continuum of characters and actors, so the writers could decide to step aside and we see the same crew with a more solid script. I'm hopeful for this one, but I do know exactly what you're talking about with the writing style.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #734
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

It's been only 1 movie in this reboot franchise... Can we wait until after JJ is done with the trilogy which we all know is going to happen... and the next person takes over

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #735
JBond
Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok Droppings View Post
When you come in here repeatedly complaining about how bad Abrams' version of Star Trek is and how it just doesn't feel like Star Trek, then what is your other solution? Just coming around complaining over and over again about how it is ruined or not as good ad nauseum. We get it if you don't like it, but it does get annoying to those of us who are also Trek fans who DID enjoy it. If you want to be sarcastic and keep it up, nobody can stop you I suppose, but it remains annoying and unproductive to the conversation (trolling defined).
There is a second Star Trek movie coming out. I can bring all sorts of new complaints to the table if I'd like. Which I've hardly done at all except for that god-awful poster. I'm waiting for the movie.

Remember, it was Daniel's comments and then Franklin that made you bring up this "stop complaining" complaint. I guess it's more fun to make it a class-action argument, hmm?

Old 12-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #736
JBond
Beyond

However, I am going to take this moment to cut on Abrahms because he has this coming. Here's a quote from him concerning his choice to not direct Star Wars Episode VII:

Quote:
"...there were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn't even want to be involved in the next version of those things."
That's hilarious considering he's admitted to looking towards Star Wars for inspiration on the reboot of Star Trek.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #737
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
There is a second Star Trek movie coming out. I can bring all sorts of new complaints to the table if I'd like. Which I've hardly done at all except for that god-awful poster. I'm waiting for the movie.

Remember, it was Daniel's comments and then Franklin that made you bring up this "stop complaining" complaint. I guess it's more fun to make it a class-action argument, hmm?
Actually, it had nothing to do with their complaints specifically, more so Tolkiens. The repeated complaints minus substance and just complaining to say "the new Star Trek sucks" gets old. You can get defensive, that's fine, but the trolling complaints without anything worthwhile to add just get to be annoying. If you have cause and reason to disagree with Abrams (spelled minus the H). My problem is those people who say it sucks without any clear substantial addition to the argument seems pointless given the direction Star Trek was in (dead in the water thanks to Berman running it into the ground) before Abrams' version came along. As I said to Knerys, at least it's on a good track at this point compared to where it was going. But, it's easier to complain repeatedly and annoy those who actually ARE looking forward to it rather than give solid directional feedback.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #738
JBond
Beyond

I'd like to think I have backed up my negative views, but I'll try to keep a lid on my complaining.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:42 AM   #739
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Go ahead and complain, but with something to complain about. Posting stupid pictures and saying it's going to suck and looks stupid was old a long time ago already. Talking about what could be different, what you did/didn't like in the first one, etc. - that's normal stuff. Just posting random crap like "looks so stupid", "this is going to suck", "Abrams ruined Star Trek" really adds nothing to the conversation. And, since we're on it, for all those that think Abrams ruined Star Trek I'd like to ask them how. How did he possibly ruin a dead franchise that was going nowhere before he directed the reboot?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #740
JBond
Beyond

Eh, I've already answered that. Many people have. But like you said, I shouldn't be repetitive if I can't add anything new to the table.

And my lens flare poster had context, thank you very much.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #741
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

I suppose it's "answering questions and bringing new arguments to the table" when people make comments like "this is going to suck". Got it - thanks for clarifying.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #742
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

Quote:
It's one thing to complain, it's another to do it incessantly to the point of annoying.
You're a big fan of exaggeration.

I've stated my distaste for this movie once in this thread.

And I won't watch it, don't worry. However, based on the trailers (which I watched because I was at the movies), it looks stupid.

Crap, that's twice now.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #743
JBond
Beyond

Quote:
I suppose it's "answering questions and bringing new arguments to the table" when people make comments like "this is going to suck". Got it - thanks for clarifying.
Yeah, because I say that all the time. How about you stop projecting your pet peeves on anyone who slightly reminds you of them.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #744
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Yeah, because I say that all the time. How about you stop projecting your pet peeves on anyone who slightly reminds you of them.
That's funny that you keep trying to make this all about your posts. Neither you, Daniel nor tard were the ones that sparked this conversation. Funny you're so defensive though.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #745
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Over the top action, and wrong comedic timing aside from the first film.

I really enjoyed the fresh take on Kirk, Spock, and Bones.

I really hate what they have done to Uhara's character. It makes her irrelevant in my eyes, the only thing they have going on for that is Spock's relationship.

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #746
JBond
Beyond

Quote:
That's funny that you keep trying to make this all about your posts. Neither you, Daniel nor tard were the ones that sparked this conversation. Funny you're so defensive though.
Yeah, I'm self-centered that way. Or my post directly above yours was in the first person about what I have done personally and then you put some of those words in quotation marks.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #747
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

Abrams has loyalty to Star Trek? What about the science of Star Trek? Or the ST universe itself? Loyalty my ass!

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #748
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Yeah, I'm self-centered that way. Or my post directly above yours was in the first person about what I have done personally and then you put some of those words in quotation marks.
I don't know how many different ways I need to say "it wasn't your comments" before you understand me. Oh well, not my problem.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #749
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #750
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

The footage of the first nine minutes is online (leaked) if anyone hasn't seen it yet.