The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: How would you rate this film?
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 1 10.00%
8 3 30.00%
9 6 60.00%
10 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2012, 01:38 AM   #26
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

This isn't the comic book movie they wanted, but, it's the one they needed.

Having never seen the first Dredd movie (which I hear was horrendous), and having never read a single comic, I went into this knowing the basics and nothing more. I also had read numerous reports that this was very similar to The Raid: Redemption, which was also similar to the last 20 minutes of Punisher: War Zone, so I went in expecting to see more of the same.

Honestly, it was pretty much in line with those two films, but, this whole "Shoot-your-way-out-of-a-building-full-of-bad-guys" thing works for me, and Dredd brought enough to the table that it didn't feel like the same story.

Judge Dredd is one of the few purveyors of justice in a futuristic world where 800,000,000 people all share a large chunk of land and live within mega-skysrapers, each around 200 stories tall. A Judge's job is to be the police, jury, and executioners of the law, killing on-site should the crime deem it necessary. Armed with weapons that dole out punishment in various forms, these judges are well-oiled killing machines that live to protect justice and maintain order in a world gone mad. When Dredd is assigned to assess a psychic rookie, and she chooses their first assignment be a triple homicide, the pair find themselves in one of the bad aforementioned mega-skyscrapers where drugs are rampant, and the woman controlling them is well-versed in violence. When she manages to lock down the entire mega-scraper, it is up to Dredd and his rookie counterpart to make their way out, any way they can.

Dredd was thrilling from beginning to end, and the characters, their stories, and the inclusion of a psychic all set this movie apart. The action is gratuitous, but, what happens in-between is equally interesting. Dredd himself is unshakable in his convictions of the law, and he is resourceful in such a way that a situation that seems dire to us is just another day at the office for him. His lack of vulnerability and emotion was compelling, and he isn't just brawn, but also brains as well. His psychic partner shows us the emotional side of the judge, and her abilities made for some funny moments, as well as a cool one involving an interrogation of sorts.

I agree that this was loads better than Dark Knight Rises, and, I think this one had more heart than the Avengers. While overlooked at the box office, this is one of the better films out there this year, and probably the best action movie we have gotten yet.

9/10

Last edited by Daniel; 09-25-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #27
saveus1011
Directive 4 (Classified)

Send a message via AIM to saveus1011 Send a message via Yahoo to saveus1011 Send a message via Skype™ to saveus1011

We agree again. I'm scared.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:26 AM   #28
Justin
Executive Loser

Good review.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #29
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveus1011 View Post
We agree again. I'm scared.
All three of us agreed for the first time... I'm even more scared

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #30
carnage4u
The Bad Man

I'm bummed this movie isn't doing well. It is a good action movie with a good cast of characters and is fun to watch.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -- Terry Pratchett
carnage4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #31
Hollywood
Executive Producer

Is it more dark and edgy then the dredd movie before this one?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 AM   #32
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

I can't speak for the first movie, but, this is extremely dark and edgy.

Also, the Slo-mo (the drug used in the movie) scenes and effects in 3D were amazing.

Last edited by Daniel; 09-26-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #33
Alien
Space traveler

Send a message via MSN to Alien

Quote:
And..... there won't be a sequel. And..... it will be another 20 years before another adaptation is attempted. And..... Sly Stallone's version will continue to be the most well-known version. And..... as a result, Dredd will continue to be a D-list hero outside the UK.
He's sort of a D-list hero inside the UK too. I think my parents might know who he is but if they do it's coz of the Stallone movie.
I always flirt with death
I could be killed, but I don't care about it
Je suis le roi des Dauphins!
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #34
Seakazoo
formerly KUacuraChick

Send a message via AIM to Seakazoo

I saw this last night. It's a lot of fun. I don't think I've ever said this about a movie before, but this one is best seen in 3D.

https://twitter.com/seakazoo My Twitter
https://twitter.com/piratejim2 My cat's Twitter
Seakazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #35
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

I'm tired and exhausted right now, so I'll just this; I saw Dredd and Looper today. Both fun films indeed, but unfortunately, Dredd did not please me as much as I'd hoped it to. It was a great film, and I had a lot of fun watching it. Just nowhere near perfect. As a comic adaptation, it sits at #3 right now for me, maybe #4 for 2012. Better than The Raid? I'm too tired to say. I just had fun, plain and simple.

7/10
Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #36
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

These remakes of Stallone and Arnold movies are forgetting one thing its the icons who played the roles more so then the stories and so on. I am seeing this tomarrow and will save judgement but I think movie studios should leave films made by certain Icons alone.
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #37
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

Lets get one thing straight; Stallone may have been an Icon, but Judge Dredd was not Iconic.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #38
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

the raid is such a boring movie. completely over hyped. same exact thing, scene after scene. karate here, karate there, snore snore snore. jackie chan had more talent in his heyday, at least he was original and inventive.

really shoulda posted this in the raid thread.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #39
Justin
Executive Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVader 2004 View Post
These remakes of Stallone and Arnold movies are forgetting one thing its the icons who played the roles more so then the stories and so on. I am seeing this tomarrow and will save judgement but I think movie studios should leave films made by certain Icons alone.
If you have a problem with the idea, then why pay to see it? I've heard a lot of people complaining about certain movies, then they go and see it anyway.

...How does that make sense?

Last edited by Justin; 09-30-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #40
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Just finally watched Dredd. WOW! What an impressive action movie, with a decent story, pretty solid performance by Urban and the action, wow. I was hooked.

B+
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #41
saveus1011
Directive 4 (Classified)

Send a message via AIM to saveus1011 Send a message via Yahoo to saveus1011 Send a message via Skype™ to saveus1011

I told yinz.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #42
Mikey-Bizzle
Executive Producer

Saw Dredd last night really enjoyed it! Some propa brutal parts in it!

8.5/10
Mikey-Bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #43
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Wow this is a first.... Everyone actually enjoyed this movie?

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #44
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

i thought it was pretty decent actually. although, i have to wonder, do blood packets and the little explosion you need to make it look legit cost that much? i mean cgi blood was useful for the slow-mo scenes sure, but it got really tiring after a while as every gun shot had a cgi blood-splosion afterwards.

stick with the classics... blood packets are key in action movies.

hated urban to start but he grew on me as the film progressed. i'd say it was better than the raid.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #45
saveus1011
Directive 4 (Classified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinTard View Post
i'd say it was better than the raid.
Story and character wise it is.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #46
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

eh like i said, found the raid to be boring and repetitive. at least dredd had his gun/ammo to change things up.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #47
nine1wing
Executive Producer

Finally got to see this, one word baddass
nine1wing is offline   Reply With Quote