The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: Jack Reacher review
10 0 0%
9 1 14.29%
8 3 42.86%
7 3 42.86%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Angelixx

Default Jack Reacher - Review Thread

I didn't see a thread for this movie; forgive me if there is one and I missed it. I did my best to keep this review spoiler free, but it does have some hints as to major plot points. So you know, be warned.

Jack Reacher Review

It’s a shame when bad actors happen to good movies. To be fair, Tom Cruise isn’t necessarily a ‘bad’ actor but he is long, long past his pre-scientology couch meltdown glory days. He needs an intervention of the direst kind. He is not an action star anymore. He is not a Hollywood hunk, not even a stud. He just needs to stop.

Having said that, this was my biggest complaint for the film. I found it hard to be too difficult on the movie since I saw it for free, but not even the added free popcorn and drinks could make up for my distaste of Cruise. I will give him a tiny bit of credit before I rip him to pieces though. His portrayal of Jack Reacher is infinitely darker than his usual action characters, particularly in regards to the fight scenes. I mean some of them were brutal. I didn’t know whether to cheer or cringe. I am actually a little surprised that the film got such a low rating for one particular on screen bit of violence they showed.

Having said that, I couldn’t really buy Cruise’s darker character spin and I definitely did not buy his sassiness – which is a real shame because those were some of the best damn lines in the movie. When he delivered his ‘I am not a hero’ speech from the trailer, in what I assume was supposed to be his big badass moment, all I could do was laugh. This is Tom Cruise. He’s about as intimidating as Willy Wonka…okay that’s unfair, Gene Wilder scared the crap out of me as a kid. It was moments like that that I really wished they had casted anyone else. But nonetheless, it was a little different from Cruise’s usual characters, so bravo and la-dee-da.

Another aspect of the film that desperately made me wish for better casting was when the film tried to force feed the sexual tension between Cruise and Rosamund Pike down our throats. Tom Cruise is old now. He can’t hide it anymore and I do not, in any way shape or form, want to see him getting ‘sexy’. The film mercifully spares us any kissing or sex scenes, but that doesn’t stop the secondhand awkwardness. No two people ever realistically have conversations standing that close to each other, especially not with strangers. They were taste-testing each others’ breath; it’s called personal space, people.

Ok, enough of Tom Cruise, there were apparently other people in the film. The villains in this film were so poorly fleshed out that I’m still trying to figure out exactly the whole plot conflict of the film. I still don’t even really understand who the main villain was and I feel this is a major side effect of having not read the book. I got over that though because one of the bad dudes is super creepy and the other was super hot, so yeah, shallowness for the win!

The most notable main cast members, rounded out by Rosamund Pike, David Oyelowo (sick name), Richard Jenkins, and Robert Duvall, were neither good nor bad. To be honest, they weren’t given much to do. When the inevitable character twist goes down it is not in any way shocking or even exciting. There was not enough investment in the character for it to mean anything but ‘oh’. Pike is unbelievably gorgeous though, I’ll say that, and I will admit I want to touch her boobs – not even sorry. They were the highlights of the film.

Her character is given a hint of backstory to suggest her motivations in the film, but there is nothing more than that hint. Maybe they were trying to be clever, but it just left me confused as to what could have transpired with her father to make her choose such actions to spite him, but still trust him enough to show him such sensitive information (right after the guy who clearly knows what he’s doing told her not to trust him – seriously, women in action movies sometimes, I swear).

There were a few moments in the film that I found a little tacky, lets say. You know the shot in the trailer that begins as a close up of the front of that red car and then moves up to the front window to focus on Tom Cruise in the driver seat? Yeah, well apparently they were so proud of that shot that they did it twice. By all means, have fun with moviemaking, but it just screamed ‘look what I can do!’ to me. On a more serious note, the film begins with a sniper taking out innocent civilians, including getting too close for comfort to a child. In light of the events in Newtown, it just felt like way too soon. The whole audience felt uncomfortable during that scene, and when Pike’s character, later goes and pieces together information on the victims. Obviously, the filmmakers couldn’t have predicted those events, but I wonder how it will effect the movie’s reception.

All in all, I did admittedly really enjoy this film. It had a lot of potential that was unfortunately dampened by Tom Cruise. Had the film not been burdened with the glory hungry star, they may have even dedicated more time to fleshing out the other characters a little more. If you’re looking for some fun, straight up ass kicking though, by all means, go see this movie. It admittedly is a lot of fun regardless of any qualms I had about it, but please Hollywood, no more Tom Cruise, for the love of god.

Oh, and for what little screen time Robert Duvall had, he may have been the best part of the movie. Also, this film did have what was maybe my all time favourite line in the history of movie quotes: “…I mean to beat you to death and drink your blood from a boot.” Huzzah.

6/10
Old 12-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Justin
Executive Producer

So you're saying a nude scene would have been objectionable?

Last edited by Justin; 12-21-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Angelixx

Yes. Sweet Christ, yes.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
nine1wing
Executive Producer

Your review sucks, your review sucks because its based on the fact you hate cruise, cruise is still in good shape, still has the charm, commits to a project, still looks good, can still do action movies, the last mission impossible was excellent. You suck please leave and don't make anymore crap reviews
nine1wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Justin
Executive Producer

She doesn't hate him. It's clear that she feels he's unsuited for the role.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
saveus1011
Directive 4 (Classified)

Send a message via AIM to saveus1011 Send a message via Yahoo to saveus1011 Send a message via Skype™ to saveus1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1wing View Post
Your review sucks, your review sucks because its based on the fact you hate cruise, cruise is still in good shape, still has the charm, commits to a project, still looks good, can still do action movies, the last mission impossible was excellent. You suck please leave and don't make anymore crap reviews
Stay cool brah.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Angelixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1wing View Post
I'm going to refrain from replying to you in the same butthurt fashion and just be straight up.

You either didn't read my review or you hate my review based on the fact that you love Cruise. I do not hate Cruise. I can't stand him, but I don't hate him. In fact, I can even admit that he is a decent actor (as I stated in the very beginning of the review). The first two Mission: Impossible films are some my all time favourite action films and I really enjoy several of Cruise's other films pre-couch meltdown era (notice how I referred to them as 'glory days'. That wasn't sarcasm); hell I even liked him in Tropic Thunder. Yes, he is still in great shape, and like I said, the fight sequences in the film were fantastic and really entertaining; that was due in large part to the fact that he is still very capable of performing said fight sequences.

My biggest qualm, as I stated several times, was casting. Tom Cruise was not good for this particular role. Something I didn't mention in the review but I thought about after watching the film, was that Cruise would do really well if moved towards the roles like the one Duvall had in this film. Cruise is obviously not in the same age bracket as Duvall, but I would have really enjoyed him much more in that type of role. So sit down, read the review properly, put your bias aside and think of better arguments than 'you suck'. It is very satisfying to discuss things on a mature level.

Oh and suck my dick
Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
Justin
Executive Producer

Just delete the rest of the response and leave the last sentence.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Angelixx

I was seriously debating that. Feel free to just read that sentence and ignore the rest.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Now now, people.

59 out of 64 Hugo Award winners completed.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #11
Deexan
Yes, have some.

I was wondering when our first resident Scientologist would make himself known.
play Let It Be or Nevermind.
Deexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #12
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

Angelixx has broke the seal: from now on I am going to base the merit of a females involvement in a film on how much I want to touch their boobs
Old 12-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
Neverending
sex

Angelixx can touch my boobs anytime she'd like.
12:55 AM

"We’re No. 1 in TBS’ key demographic:
People who can’t afford HBO."
- Conan O'Brien
May 18, 2011

"I honestly don't know who gives me a bigger boner:
Zoe Saldana OR Chris Pine. Star Trek Into My Pants!"
- Kevin Smith
February 24, 2013

The Batman Appreciation Thread
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
Angelixx can touch my boobs anytime she'd like.
**pulls up a chair**
Old 12-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #15
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

oh come on ya gotta admit, the review starts with hating on cruise and ends with hating on cruise, i do believe angelixx decided on this movie before she even started watching it. and ya don't hate cruise but you "can't stand him", right.

i mean come on, a little bias in this review, i think we can all admit that.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
Daniel
Flawed Design

I do have to agree that there did seem to be a fair amount of bias here, and I got the impression that she didn't like the movie mostly because of Tom Cruise, so I read her review and pretty much just decided I'll still watch it. Mission Impossible 4 came out not too long ago and it was my favourite of the series. Cruise's personal life isn't a concern of mine, and I don't know that I'd really factor that into his performance or a review, but to each their own.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Bet this would have had a better review if they had stuck with the original title of "Jack Reacher-Round"
Old 12-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #18
Angelixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinTard View Post
oh come on ya gotta admit, the review starts with hating on cruise and ends with hating on cruise, i do believe angelixx decided on this movie before she even started watching it. and ya don't hate cruise but you "can't stand him", right.

i mean come on, a little bias in this review, i think we can all admit that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
I do have to agree that there did seem to be a fair amount of bias here, and I got the impression that she didn't like the movie mostly because of Tom Cruise, so I read her review and pretty much just decided I'll still watch it. Mission Impossible 4 came out not too long ago and it was my favourite of the series. Cruise's personal life isn't a concern of mine, and I don't know that I'd really factor that into his performance or a review, but to each their own.
Never said I don't have a bias on Tom Cruise. He is admittedly not my favourite person, but seriously, read the review. You both are implying that I said I hated the movie. If you read the last paragraph you would see the part where I said I actually enjoyed the movie despite any of my critiques. Even though I'm not a fan of Cruise, I still enjoyed the film. So for anyone who doesn't feel about Tom Cruise the way I do, take that as a sign that you will probably really enjoy the film.

Also, while I agree that a main reason I wasn't as wild about the film as others was due to Tom Cruise, a lot of it was because of his celebrity status not him specifically. Like I mentioned, a lot of the other characters and their development seemed sacrificed in order to pander to the entertainment value of watching Cruise kick a bunch of people's asses. Though some people may not mind that as much as me.

Seriously, my whole review is summed up as 'despite my feelings on Cruise, the movie was fun'. I did not hate the movie at all I think it might just have to do with the way I critique films. I remember and spend more time discussing the negatives than I do the positives, even in a film that I would rave about.

Last edited by Angelixx; 12-22-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Angelixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #19
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Instead of crucifying people based on reviews (which this forum does a lot) go see the damn film and make your own judgment... Then reply to her if you agree or disagree... It's asking a lot i know.

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #20
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok Droppings View Post
Bet this would have had a better review if they had stuck with the original title of "Jack Reacher-Round"
"I don't...Am I speaking Russian? How come I'm speaking Russian?"
Ramplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

I'm just bitter you didn't mention Pittsburgh.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
Angelixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinTard View Post
I'm just bitter you didn't mention Pittsburgh.
holy crap I actually can't believe I didn't mention that! you're totally justified lol the city looks friggen flawless. really gorgeous shots of heinz field and the bridges.

Last edited by Angelixx; 12-23-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Angelixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #23
Daniel
Flawed Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshuttari View Post
Instead of crucifying people based on reviews (which this forum does a lot)
Critique the critic is, like, our second favourite game around here, duh.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #24
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

My favorite game on Review Threads

3. It's too long I'm not going to read this
2. It's too short give more details what kind of review is this
1. You wrote a review and I don't agree to it, I haven't seen the movie but your review is completely wrong.

Fun TIMES with CS!

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #25
Henri Ducard
Executive Producer

Most CS members don't go to movie theaters on a weekly basis. Which is understandable considering ticket prices. But that makes reviewing new films difficult because you're ultimately wasting your time.
Henri Ducard is offline   Reply With Quote