The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > MAIN GATE > CS Community

Old 12-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #76
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

I'm not seeing anything on that, if you see a link before I do throw it up here.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #77
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

My brother and I just had a normal conversation that turned into a heated debate that turned into an outright argument all because I said "this country needs better gun control laws" during a conversation about my post on Facebook, the one I shared. What a ****ing night. And for crying out loud, I actually own two guns and he doesn't, yet I'm the looney left wing nutjob. Riiiiiiiiight...

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #78
Justin
Executive Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramplate View Post

Anonymous Hacks The Westboro Baptist Church: Posts All Their Personal Information
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/440545/anon...v4XCiifEzuU.99
Good. **** those people.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #79
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
I'm not seeing anything on that, if you see a link before I do throw it up here.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...n-antonio.html

This will explain everything.
Brock Landers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #80
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
My brother and I just had a normal conversation that turned into a heated debate that turned into an outright argument all because I said "this country needs better gun control laws" during a conversation about my post on Facebook, the one I shared. What a ****ing night. And for crying out loud, I actually own two guns and he doesn't, yet I'm the looney left wing nutjob. Riiiiiiiiight...
I've had a few posting conversations myself.

The pro gun people really fly off the handle when you mention 'gun control'.
They don't get it that law abiding and sane citizens will still have guns, we just need some types of weapons and ammo to be harder to get, so people with mental or personality problems are not apt to get them.
At the same time we have to also better identify and help people who may have a propensity to harm themselves and/or others - before tragedy strikes.

Then you get them saying - but we have to have those weapons in question so that we have the ability to rise against a tyrannical government as stated in the constitution.
Well, my answer to that is - you are already outgunned by the government forces - they have better tech and weapon systems than you ever will - until you appropriate them by force. That is how an uprising must happen anyway these days. Some members of the armed forces will side with the militias if they are in the right as well. Look at Syria - they're sticking it to their government right now.
Furthermore, there are workshops and gunsmiths with the materials and know how all over America able to churn such weapons out if the time comes.
"I don't...Am I speaking Russian? How come I'm speaking Russian?"
Ramplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #81
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

I just sent another e-mail to my state senators.

Hello again Senator,

I chose other as the topic because this includes both gun issues and heath issues.

After the Newtown tragedy I find myself writing to you again. Here are some of my thoughts that I posted online elsewhere. I thought I'd pass them onto you while I had them together.

According to news articles I read today, there were signs that the gunman's mother was worried about - she had had a neighbor who looked after him once who stated that she warned him not to turn his back on her son and don't even go to the bathroom and leave him alone while she was gone.
The signs were there - too often they go ignored.

The mental health care system has to be revamped - remember Andrea Yates? She didn't use a gun, but she was in and out of mental health facilities like there was a revolving door, and her mental health was obviously not taken care of as it should have been.

Both things need to happen - 1) Tighter regulation of firearms - including sewing up the loopholes in transfer of ownership. We pay better attention to who owns a vehicle than we do for firearms. We also require (in most states) some sort of education in the operation and safety of vehicles - but not so with guns for some reason. We should.

2) Better laws concerning the mentally ill - better checks and balances so that people do not get discharged from a health facility before they are ready and support systems are in place. I am a physically handicapped person, and have had all the support I have needed to live on my own - not so with mentally troubled outpatients who often stop taking their medications and doing other things that keep them stable and living a healthy existence.

We need to get serious - if not now - then when? Something needs to be done - with the loss of 5 and 6 year olds, we need to stop ignoring the problems, and do something meaningful now.

Sincerely.

Xxxxxx X Xxxxx
Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #82
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Utah boy charged with bringing gun to school, cites fears of Newtown attack
Video report http://news.yahoo.com/utah-boy-charg...023430546.html

SALT LAKE CITY (Reuters) - An 11-year-old Utah boy who said he brought a gun to school to protect himself from a Newtown-style attack, then brandished the pistol at three classmates during recess, has been detained on assault and weapons charges, a school spokesman said on Tuesday.

The boy, a Utah sixth-grader, took the unloaded .22-caliber handgun to his school south of Salt Lake City in his backpack on Monday, a spokesman for the Granite School District said.

Some ammunition was also found in the backpack, but it did not appear to go with the gun, said the spokesman, Ben Horsley.

No one was injured in the incident, which occurred as jittery parents, teachers and students around the country faced their first day back at school since 20 children and six adult staffers at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, were shot to death by a lone gunman last Friday.

The 11-year-old student at Utah's West Kearns Elementary, who was not publicly identified, has insisted he brought the gun to school to "protect himself and his friends from a Connecticut-style incident," Horsley said.

However, the boy is accused of waving the gun at three classmates on a soccer field during recess. Later on Monday, one of those students and a second classmate alerted their teacher, who "immediately took the student into custody and took him down to the principal's office," Horsley said.

After being briefly questioned, the boy admitted bringing the gun to school, and the weapon was recovered minutes later.

Some parents questioned the decision not to initiate a security "lockdown," but school administrators reasoned that it made no sense to risk alarming students when the threat was so quickly averted, Horsley said.

The boy was booked into a local juvenile detention center on Monday night on one count of possession of a deadly weapon on school property and three counts of aggravated assault. He was also suspended from school indefinitely.

Horsley described the boy's parents as shocked by the incident and cooperating with investigators, who found the gun belonged to a relative who has been living temporarily with the boy's family.

He said the community was "rightfully" shaken by the incident. "Because of the tragic occurrence in Connecticut, people's emotions with respect to children's safety is right at the surface, and we're just as concerned as the parents."

Because the incident unfolded less than an hour before classes were dismissed, parents could not be notified until well after the school day had ended, and only then by telephone, he said.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #83
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

so the local classic rock radio station had a moment of silence and read off all the names of the kids and staff that were killed, immediately following the silence, alice cooper's 'schools out for summer' started playing.

he apologized profusely.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #84
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Hah, wow.

60 out of 65 Hugo Award winners completed.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #85
shained
Y.N.W.A

Send a message via MSN to shained

Haha jesus, someone is getting their p45

Liverpool Football Club

You'll Never Walk Alone

Letterboxd
shained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #86
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

At least they didn't play 'I Don't Like Mondays' by the Boomtown Rats
Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #87
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramplate View Post
At least they didn't play 'I Don't Like Mondays' by the Boomtown Rats
Or "Jeremy." Good God, that video...

Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #88
JBond
Beyond

Someone save me, I'm this close to listing all the bad songs to play.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #89
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

You act like we all haven't done that exact same thing. Hell, Neverending has made 3, and he even drew little hearts over his I's. CS!: a place for list-makers.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #90
JBond
Beyond

Hey, name one list I've made.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #91
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

There's a list stickin' out yo back-pocket, Santa.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #92
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
Someone save me, I'm this close to listing all the bad songs to play.
'Happiness is a Warm Gun' The Beatles
'Saturday Night Special' Lynnrd Skynnrd
'Janie's Got a Gun' by Aerosmith
'Psycho Killer' The Cars
'Everybody Run (The Homecoming Queen Has Got a Gun)' Julie Brown

Last edited by Ramplate; 12-21-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #93
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

What is wrong with kids?

South Dakota teen shot dead during argument over paintball game

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/19...#ixzz2FiJNAcTm

WTF?

National Review: Newtown Shootings Could Have Been Stopped If There Weren't so Many Women Around
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/parentin...17615661392~~~

Last edited by Ramplate; 12-21-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #94
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

COLUMBINE STUDENT'S FATHER 12 YEARS LATER!!

Guess our national leaders didn't expect this. On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful.
They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness. The following is a portion of the transcript:

"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good &evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.
"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.
"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent
I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
Your words are empty air.
You've stripped away our heritage,
You've outlawed simple prayer.
Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
And precious children die.
You seek for answers everywhere,
And ask the question "Why?"
You regulate restrictive laws,
Through legislative creed.
And yet you fail to understand,
That God is what we need!

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact.
What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws.
Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.

"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him.

To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I give to you a sincere challenge.. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone!
My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"
- Darrell Scott

Do what the media did not - - let the nation hear this man's speech. Please share this with your FB friends!

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #95
Justin
Executive Loser

That sounds more like a sermon than a formal address.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #96
Deexan
Reflektor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshuttari View Post
"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good &evil in the hearts of men and women.
Stopped reading here.
But you know it's just an act
Deexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #97
shained
Y.N.W.A

Send a message via MSN to shained

Sounds like he's gone off the deep end too be honest.

Liverpool Football Club

You'll Never Walk Alone

Letterboxd
shained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #98
sshuttari

A lot of people turn to religion when they experience a loss or a major tragedy..

It's just what happens.

There are only a few people that don't.

It's not so much going to the deep end more like more people turn to faith and a higher power.

Even if he does or doesn't exist

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #99
sshuttari

Read this argument on Reddit.

Your premise is flawed for any number of reasons. Your entire argument is based around the idea that there's no reason to oppose the idea of defending every school in America with armed guards other than blind opposition to guns, which either shows a huge lack of understanding or (more likely) is showing off what I'm assuming is your strong pro-gun bias.

Assuming you aren't extremely young, you should remember the most notorious school shooting in the US at Columbine High School. There was an armed guard on that campus who actually exchanged shots with the shooters early in the attack, which didn't prevent the attacks and doesn't seem to have saved lives. Or how about the shooting at Virginia Tech, where armed police were present during the second part of the attack and didn't prevent it. Or, perhaps most damning of all, how about the Fort Hood shooting which was a goddam Army base and still suffered a large number of casualties.

Basically, the reason that people are reacting so strongly to the NRA's press conference isn't because they secretly hate guns. It's because the idea is on the very face of it idiotic. And that's before we even get into all the second order issues that make the suggestion even worse.

At a very conservative ballpark this idea would cost somewhere north of $18 billion.
Besides already having been proven to be catastrophically ineffective at stopping attacks, the presence of guns seems correlated with an increase in violence (4.5 times likelier to be shot while carrying a gun and increased likelihood of gun related death with guns in the home). Even in the absolutely best case where this wasn't obviosuly a stupid idea you've traded a theoretical decrease in a small probability chance of a very bad thing (a large scale school shooting) for a huge number of small percentage increases in a less bad thing (one of the hundreds of thousands of guns now in schools is used to kill one or a few people there).
The logic behind this idea is practically a perfect example of a slippery slope to a police state. Assume that this is an appropriate response to a school shooting, why isn't the inevitable answer to have armed guards everywhere at all times? If Sandy Hook is a tragedy and the only response is an armed guard in every school, why isn't the Aurora theater shooting also a tragedy where the only response is armed guards in every theater in the US? There have been reports of gang related violence in ERs in the US, should station armed guards be put in every hospital just in case? If you run this logic out, there's basically nowhere in the US that shouldn't have armed guards.

The entire idea was so glaringly idiotic that it to a certain extent stole the spotlight from the rest of that bizarre press conference. It's all the movie's fault! No, I meant video games! Or was it the mainstream media?! No wait, it's that kids can't bring their own guns to school! Will you buy that there are bad people and we should shoot them? Guns are the only solution to any problem! For all the words you devoted to how gun control advocates are blindly letting principles drive them to take unreasonable positions, you seem to have done an odd job of missing one of the definitive examples of blindly saying any and every asinine thing imaginable to try and change the conversation away from someone's personal hobby horse.

Which by the way is one of the clearest signals the NRA thinks they're on the losing side of the argument. Historically they hunker down when a tragedy like this happens and then kill or gut any legislation through lobbying in the background. The fact they so explicitly made the conversation about them, with such a hodge-podge of provocative and clearly unworkable ideas, is the best sign you're likely to get that the NRA doesn't think that'll work this time.

Quote:

Old 12-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #100
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

I understand his message, and to a degree think his words are wise, BUT

Many atrocities throughout time have been done in the name of God. There is honest wholesome prayer and then there is overbearing worship as well.

There are some cases that I can site that show that too much religion is not such a good thing either.

Ed Gein - His mother was strictly religious and read from the bible every night with Ed - she kept him and her family under the strict word of the bible. Gein is the basis for characters in Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Silence of the lambs.

Andrea Yates - She and her husband were very religious and listened to the words of a street preacher named Michael Peter Woroniecki. His teachings were full of twisted fire and brimstone that influenced the way the Yates lived their very existence - Yates had child after child after child in rapid order and they named them after people in the bible - Noah, John, Paul, Luke, and Mary. She thought they were not growing up right with God so she drowned them so they would go to heaven before it was too late.

Dennis Raider - He was a deacon in his church - it didn't stop him from becoming Wichita, Kansas' BTK (Bind them, Torture them, Kill them) Killer.

Erin Caffey - She was a teenager in a deeply religious family that prayed every day. They didn't approve of the boy she liked for many reasons - including the thought that his influence over her did not coincide with their beliefs. They started to place restrictions on her activities - and she and her boyfriend and another guy went to the house at night - and attacked her father, killed her mother, and her 13 year old brother. They then set the house on fire and burned it to the ground - the father escaped, crawled through the woods to the nearest house despite his wounds, and survived. He was the only family member to live.

Daniel Petric - He had an infection from a jetski accident, and was laid up at home until he healed up - the parents bought him a video game system so that he would have something to do while he was stuck at home healing. His father, a minister (New Assembly of God), did not like the first person shooter he was playing constantly (HALO 3) even after he got better - he was addicted to the game and didn't do anything else - this was the first time in his life he'd ever played these types of games.
His father took it away and forbade him to play it - so he snuck out at night and bought the game again, against his father's wishes - they took that away - the non-violent games were ok with the parents, but he insisted on FPS'ers. One day he got the key to his father's lock box and got the .9mm hand gun. Asked his parents to close their eyes for a surprise and shot them both in the head - and his mother took two more bullets as well. He then tried to get his barely conscious father to hold the gun to make it look like a murder-suicide, when his sister came home from a date, he told her the lie, and while she called 911, he took off with the family vehicle. The father survived, but his mother was dead.

Ervil Morrell LeBaron - leader of the Church of the Lamb of God - a cultish offshoot of the Mormon church who still believed in plural marriages. He isolated his followers and eventually came up with a hit list of enemies - that particular group was responsible for the murders of over 25 people. Its former members are still afraid, and in hiding about 23 years after the death of LeBaron.

I could go on, but those are the ones right off the top of my head.

The common thread of all these cases is, mental illness twisted by strict religious practices. Religion is not always the answer - we need good influences in our lives for sure, but one does not have to believe in a supreme being to be a good person. It takes a loving nurturing family with good communication, and the ability to find the support and help one needs. Better parenting, and mental health care are a big part of the true answer.

Last edited by Ramplate; 12-23-2012 at 08:54 AM.