The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > MAIN GATE > CS Community

Old 12-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #210001
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerys View Post
When Fred Phelps dies, we should go picket his funeral. Collecting suggestions for sign ideas....
"Necropheliacs Welcome"
Wyldstaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #210002
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Quote:
When Fred Phelps dies, we should go picket his funeral. Collecting suggestions for sign ideas....

Like, "Ding Dong the witch is dead" other something....
Oh believe me, people will. Its pretty much certain.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #210003
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

I thought of sending a bunch of e-mails to those asshats

There's a petition or two on the white house petition site requesting that Westboro Baptist be officially designated as a hate group, and another requesting a law to make it illegal to demonstrate at a funeral.
I signed all of them that I could find. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/
"I don't...Am I speaking Russian? How come I'm speaking Russian?"

Last edited by Ramplate; 12-16-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Ramplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #210004
Knerys

Almost every member of that "church" is a relative of Phelps. How can that be considered a church?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #210005
Justin
Executive Loser

It's a surprise they weren't branded a hate group years ago.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #210006
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUsubaruchick View Post
I wish I had seasonal ADD (like seasonal depression, more people get depressed in the wintertime) so I could get medicine to help me focus on studying for finals. But no, I'll probably play video games, fart around on the internet and try to think of a new project to knit.
It's not very fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstaar View Post
"Necropheliacs Welcome"

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #210007
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Quote:
Almost every member of that "church" is a relative of Phelps. How can that be considered a church?
Same way a science fiction novelist can spark the formation of a "church"

Last edited by Ramplate; 12-16-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #210008
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

The whole notion of the organization of a Church is absolutely ridiculous in this these times, especially now that it's followers can call them out and not worry about being tortured and/or killed afterwards. There's a saying that goes; "more wars have started in the name of a God than in any other case, ever!" But that's not true, is it? Shouldn't it be; "More Wars have started in the name of the Churches that follow God than in any other case!" ??? I'm a firm believer, than isn't changing. But my faith in a "Church" is failing each and every day. I just don't see the point in blindly following something that preaches love, yet spreads hate.

Live, Love and Marry! Unless you're gay, then don't... just, don't.

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #210009
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

I just saw a segment of CBS Sunday Morning about more people in this country becoming non-affiliated with organized religion. Most still pray, still believe in some sort of higher power, but feel organized religion has become too corrupt and/or business like instead of truly faith based and teaching lessons relevant to the times.

And I respectfully disagree with the sentiment "Live, Love, and Marry Unless you're gay." Every consenting adult has the right to living, loving, and marrying whomever they both willingly choose with mutual consent.
Most gay and lesbian people I have personally met have been some of the nicest most giving people, and deserve to live in peace and happiness.

Last edited by Ramplate; 12-17-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #210010
Justin
Executive Loser

Atheism is becoming more and more popular.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #210011
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Atheist people are some of the hardest people I have ever met.. If you dare say your religious you are opening doors to be made fun of.

Just look at Reddit... everytime some horrific thing goes does it's an open door policy to start the hate against organized christians.

I don't care what you believe, but if your going to disrespect people who have faith or lack there of.

Your an a$$hole

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #210012
Justin
Executive Loser

Well I think the same goes for anyone. Surely it's not all atheists, such as myself, who have never once ridiculed a person for being religious (my family is very religious). Think of how it is for some closeted atheists who have had to keep it quiet for such a long time because they're often vilified for not believing in a higher power. It goes both ways.

I don't want to get into a heated debate over this, but think of how Christianity is shoved in our faces 24/7. You have several different holidays over the course of a year, you have it on our currency, the morning announcements in school, entire channels dedicated to church service....it's everywhere. There's no shortage of god in the United States.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #210013
sshuttari

Who cares what people believe why is it a problem that U.S. is considered and in fact much of Western world is considered a christian Nation... If you don't want that move some where you don't have to hear it...

I personally see Atheism and Christianity everywhere and I choose to ignore both parties because that shove there beliefs down my throat...

If I ask for it then tell me if not. Keep your mouth closed cuz no one cares...

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #210014
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Well I think the same goes for anyone. Surely it's not all atheists, such as myself, who have never once ridiculed a person for being religious (my family is very religious). Think of how it is for some closeted atheists who have had to keep it quiet for such a long time because they're often vilified for not believing in a higher power. It goes both ways.

I don't want to get into a heated debate over this, but think of how Christianity is shoved in our faces 24/7. You have several different holidays over the course of a year, you have it on our currency, the morning announcements in school, entire channels dedicated to church service....it's everywhere. There's no shortage of god in the United States.
I think those are not excuses to be *******s, though. I think organized atheism is just as bad as organized religion. I mean, what's the point of shoving your beliefs (or disbeliefs) down other people's throats? I once thought that I had the responsibility to, I don't know, ENLIGHTEN people of their grave mistakes about religion. I suppose I used to be harsher with my arguments, more tactless, if you will. As I got older, my perspectives changed quite a bit. At this point of my life, I believe I merely have the responsibility to respond to religious bigotry, if any, that are directed at me. Other than that, I think atheism really should be about not giving a ****. You believe what you wanna believe, and I believe in what I wanna believe. You stay on your turf and I stay on mine. I do agree that there are *******s in both camps, though, no questions about that.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #210015
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshuttari View Post
Who cares what people believe why is it a problem that U.S. is considered and in fact much of Western world is considered a christian Nation... If you don't want that move some where you don't have to hear it...

I personally see Atheism and Christianity everywhere and I choose to ignore both parties because that shove there beliefs down my throat...

If I ask for it then tell me if not. Keep your mouth closed cuz no one cares...
I think one of the main problems arise when religious teachings affect public policies. Say, abortion and creationism in schools. I think if religion remains within the confines of churches, homes and minds, that's fine. It is when religion becomes almost like a political power, which then drives its beliefs and teachings into classrooms and homes of the non-believers – that's when we have a problem at hand. I mean, if I am a parent, I really don't want my child to study creationism if he isn't in some kinda Bible study class.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #210016
Justin
Executive Loser

They aren't mean to be excuses, only ways for both sides to try and understand one another. Compassion is part of it. No one is defending either group, least of all me.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #210017
sshuttari

Well the fact of the matter is... We live in a world where people need religion. The world is broken and A LOT of people can't go on living by themselves...

That's great that you don't need religion to get on with life... But the truth is majority of the world does.

I've seen it with my own eyes cuz I wasn't born in America or any other Western nation... We are very fortunate to be living where most of the things we need to get on with life is provided for.

A human touch can only go so far when were desperate, needy, and broken. And a lot of the times lets be honest the people willing to help you are the ones that are religious...

Quote:

Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #210018
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Quote:
Well the fact of the matter is... We live in a world where people need religion. The world is broken and A LOT of people can't go on living by themselves...

That's great that you don't need religion to get on with life... But the truth is majority of the world does.

I've seen it with my own eyes cuz I wasn't born in America or any other Western nation... We are very fortunate to be living where most of the things we need to get on with life is provided for.

A human touch can only go so far when were desperate, needy, and broken. And a lot of the times lets be honest the people willing to help you are the ones that are religious...
Judging by the trend from the past few thousand years, it does seem like humans have never been able to rid ourselves fully from religion. What has changed, however, seems to be the religions themselves. Atheists would always bring up the argument of Thor, Zeus and Ra, and how Christians themselves are also atheists in that they don't believe in Gods that are now clearly believed to be myths. Do you, then, think that in the distant future, Christianity will be replaced by yet another religion altogether?

Personally, I think I give humanity a bit more credit than that. I kinda feel that if the world has no religion whatsoever, we will move along just fine. I think it does have some form of cathartic effect on many people, but I feel that without religion, we can put ourselves back together just fine.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #210019
sshuttari

Christianity is the most accessible religion to attach too... I can't speak to the future, but it is the thing that keeps people going over many other practices.

I've recently met parents who lost 2 of there small children in a car accident. I'll be honest if it wasn't for religion I think they both would have commited suicide... I can't begin to imagine that pain nor would I ever want too...

Quote:

Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #210020
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Quote:
Christianity is the most accessible religion to attach too...
I think that depends strictly on where and to whom you were born. But hey, I see your point.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #210021
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

The difference between the religions/cults of Egypt, Rome, Greece, Scandanavia, etc. and Christianity and Islam is that the latter two are based around people who existed in history (yes, Jesus existed. Whether he was the Son of God and walked on water is open to your own belief system, but even pagan scholars in the first century AD wrote of him). Islam follows suit with their belief in Muhammad 500 years later. People gravitate to the historical connection which makes many people feel their beliefs are validated in a way. I think that's one of the major reasons why those two religions have not only prospered but simply survived for over 2,000 years.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #210022
Justin
Executive Loser

Are you trying to imply that Ares was fictional?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #210023
sshuttari

The difference is one is a major cult (Islam) giving rise to paranoia, violence, and fear.

I say this not because I'm bashing Muslims but because I grew up Muslim and left the faith in College.

Quote:

Old 12-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #210024
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

ss you sound like some religious nutjob.

maybe religion isn't so bad for you, but for those of us that are focused on improving the future through science, religion is the biggest hurdle.

we would already be tackling global warming and stem cell research if it weren't for the religious majority in this country. thanks to the bush years, we are way behind the rest of the world in stem cell research, which could save literally millions of lives, improving billions more.

but why do we not invest? because religious people have qualms about it and the entire scientific community because they don't all ascribe to believing in a creator.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #210025
sshuttari

lol I voted for Obama both terms but thanks for thinking I'm a religious nutjob

Quote: