The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: How would you rate this film?
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 1 4.17%
6 2 8.33%
7 2 8.33%
8 11 45.83%
9 6 25.00%
10 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #101
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
But that still doesn't excuse how bad the 48fps looks. I haven't seen it, yet I already have a feeling I'll hate it. The new aesthetic looks like a home movie even in the footage that Ewok posted in some other (or was it this one?) thread. You can't really defend it; if it looks like ****, it's ****. That's completely independent of the movie itself, however.
Honestly, it was sooooo hard to focus on the story or even characters most of the time because the lighting was awful due to the footage. RedVader doesn't get it, it's not just a film quality thing, it's the film footage in general that should never had been used. 48fps is still years away from being perfected, so why Jackson decided to take a chance on it now in hopes that it'd be good is beyond me.

My friends are seeing it and asked me to go with them and I might just to see if I can get past it this time. There were good parts and a lot of the chemistry between the dwarves were fun to watch. Granted the Troll scene was awful, the comedy involving the Goblin King was terrible and a lot of the pacing was all over the place, but what killed it for me the most was the footage.

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #102
Justin
Executive Producer

It looks too artificial.

I personally don't plan on seeing it in 48fps on my first viewing. Right now, the only digitally enhanced or 3-D movie I'm going to see in theaters is Life of Pi, one I've heard uses it astonishingly well.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #103
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

I saw it twice once in 2d and the other 3d 24. It looked best in 2D really.
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #104
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
But that still doesn't excuse how bad the 48fps looks. I haven't seen it, yet I already have a feeling I'll hate it. The new aesthetic looks like a home movie even in the footage that Ewok posted in some other (or was it this one?) thread. You can't really defend it; if it looks like ****, it's ****. That's completely independent of the movie itself, however.
I recommend to see it in 2D so don't cheapen your experiance. To be honest the problem was not per say the 3D effects but some of the creatures cgi wise were better then others. But movies must be more then just effects and for me the acting made the effects less a noticable problem for me.
Footage is not the same or a clip as seeing something on the big screen.
But do what you wanna do. But its negative reviews on the site is not surprising for people have had doubts long before the movie was released here.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #105
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

I saw it a few hours ago -- skipped 48fps and just went with good 'ole 24 -- and I actually liked it a lot mkre than I thought. There were problems (pacing, Radagast, King Goblin & his testicle-chin), sure, but it's by no means terrible. I'll have to see it again, and I'll be writing a massive review for my blog tomorrow, but it's a solid 7.5.

This will explain everything.
Brock Landers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #106
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Oh, and this: fighting mountains? Really?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:48 AM   #107
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Saw this tonight and I honestly don't know why people are b**ching and moaning so much about this film. I thought it was great and kept the feel of the originals. I am not a die-hard by the book Tolkien fan, nor have I read the Hobbit, so I don't have the bias towards the book that some may have. I honestly felt like people were just jumping on the bandwagon of complaining for this movie. I saw it in IMAX 3D (only 24 FPS though), so without the 48 fps I can't comment on that. What I can say is that this movie was a lot more light hearted than the LOTR movies, but that's how the book goes from my understanding. Radagast the Brown reminded me of most of the people I run into here in Portland, so I didn't think he was too out there - just one big hippie wizard.

The one thing that I thought got a little preachy was the scene when Gandolf was talking to the Elf chick and started preaching to the audience about how small kind acts can defeat evil. Just seemed kind of put in there to make a statement instead of a true part of the movie

Since I'm not entirely up on the lore, can someone please explain to me the difference between orcs and goblins? I thought that the dwarves were originally captured by orcs, but then they turned out to be goblins. They looked pretty similar to me frankly.

Overall, I thought this was less serious than the LOTR movies, but very much in spirit with the overall franchise. I don't share the same nit-picking complaints that most do, I just didn't find the film to be that bad. Then again, I am not a film critic, just a casual movie goer. I will say this though - when the movie was done, the theater started applauding the movie. Glad I saw it for myself instead of jumping on the hate bandwagon.

8.5/10
Old 12-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #108
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok Droppings View Post
Radagast the Brown reminded me of most of the people I run into here in Portland, so I didn't think he was too out there - just one big hippie wizard.

As a fellow Oregonian, I know exactly what you mean. I actually think I lived next door to Radagast at one point. And once you get out of Portland (and Eugene), it's all Shire.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #109
Ser Ty Of Ross
Knight of Angels

Quote:
Since I'm not entirely up on the lore, can someone please explain to me the difference between orcs and goblins?
My Tolkien lore might be a little rusty but I believe Orcs are Goblins that were interbred with elves ages ago.

Last edited by Ser Ty Of Ross; 12-16-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Ser Ty Of Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #110
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

I think Orcs and Goblins are called the same thing by Tolkien even but I think Orcs were once Elves and Goblins are of Men Kind. I am sure Sauron tortured Men and Elves alike.
But I think Goblins are likely of a Race older then Mordor Orcs. But do consider this factor. Like Human different cultures and skin color maybe just maybe Orc and Goblins just are different depending where they are from.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #111
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

VADER stop repeating and commenting on everything we get it already. Your clogging the the thread

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #112
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Sorry but then again my review has stayed the same. And If I recall you have gave 3 different opinions and have had to listen to you like the film then back pedal to seem well I guess popular.
I was not talking about the movie in a review they asked what the difference was between and orc and a Goblin. A question anyone can answer.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #113
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post

As a fellow Oregonian, I know exactly what you mean. I actually think I lived next door to Radagast at one point. And once you get out of Portland (and Eugene), it's all Shire.
LOL, so true. Radagast rides his rabbit sled around Portland. I bet he even bathes more than some of his buddies I see around town.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #114
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
LOL, so true. Radagast rides his rabbit sled around Portland. I bet he even bathes more than some of his buddies I see around town.
He has really good pot, but he makes terrible food. He's a true Oregon hippie.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #115
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Anyone else notice how not a single Orc spoke english? Not one of them. Found that bit interesting to say the least. Also how different the Goblins from Goblin Town looked from the ones in Moria in FOTR. Just saying, makeup department got any explanations on that?

Old 12-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #116
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Perhaps the Moria Goblins were different or maybe these Goblins went deeper under ground and joined in Moria and what we seen in Rings were the same Goblins they just became leaderless after BOTFA. Ok I do have a question now in the 3rd movie are they gonna face Orcs or Goblins ???
Old 12-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #117
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
Anyone else notice how not a single Orc spoke english? Not one of them. Found that bit interesting to say the least. Also how different the Goblins from Goblin Town looked from the ones in Moria in FOTR. Just saying, makeup department got any explanations on that?
I think it has something to do with the Misty Mountains -- they seem grimier, almost insect-like. Mountain (and cave) dwellers. Notice the Moria ones from Fellowship & this movie, and then look at the ones we meet that come from Mordor. There really is something a little more subterranean to the ones we meet that hail from the Misty Mountains -- they're smaller, faster, and they look relatively creepier. Like if the Orcs from Mordor had creepy cousins from the Appalachian mountains. Maybe that's just me and I'm finding details that really aren't details.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #118
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

Quote:
I noticed that, and to me it was a little distracting. In FOTR, Lurtz, the main orc villain, never uttered a single word. It growled most of the time, and that was ten times more threatening than when Azog spoke in orc-ish (is that even a word?).

Anyway, there's probably a good explanation as to why the orcs and the goblins looked different. I can see how there are very many breeds out there. You can also tell the difference between Isengard orcs and Mordor orcs, for example. I think, as Brock Landers pointed out, living underground has changed the Moria orcs to something else entirely, with the big eyes being one of them. They've probably also pieced old armors together form their own, which gives them the insect-look.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #119
Justin
Executive Producer

Evolution exists in Middle Earth too, you guys.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #120
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Here's my two word review:

Rabbit Sled?!?!
IanTheCool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #121
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheCool View Post

Rabbit Sled?!?!
I know. I think Radagast, on his own, he's fine. He's a little cooky, but I don't mind that at all. It's the rabbit sleigh that people generally have problems with, I feel.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #122
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
I think it has something to do with the Misty Mountains -- they seem grimier, almost insect-like. Mountain (and cave) dwellers. Notice the Moria ones from Fellowship & this movie, and then look at the ones we meet that come from Mordor. There really is something a little more subterranean to the ones we meet that hail from the Misty Mountains -- they're smaller, faster, and they look relatively creepier. Like if the Orcs from Mordor had creepy cousins from the Appalachian mountains. Maybe that's just me and I'm finding details that really aren't details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
I noticed that, and to me it was a little distracting. In FOTR, Lurtz, the main orc villain, never uttered a single word. It growled most of the time, and that was ten times more threatening than when Azog spoke in orc-ish (is that even a word?).

Anyway, there's probably a good explanation as to why the orcs and the goblins looked different. I can see how there are very many breeds out there. You can also tell the difference between Isengard orcs and Mordor orcs, for example. I think, as Brock Landers pointed out, living underground has changed the Moria orcs to something else entirely, with the big eyes being one of them. They've probably also pieced old armors together form their own, which gives them the insect-look.
Guys, the dwellers from Moria aren't Orcs, they're Goblins. And the ones from Mordor aren't Goblins, they're Orcs.

Two different classes completely.

Another noteworthy thing to bring up, the Orcs in this film were ten times harder to kill than any Orc in the LOTR films combined, lol.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #123
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheCool View Post

Rabbit Sled?!?!
Translation:

The Internet has run out of things to complain about.
12:55 AM

"We’re No. 1 in TBS’ key demographic:
People who can’t afford HBO."
- Conan O'Brien
May 18, 2011

"I honestly don't know who gives me a bigger boner:
Zoe Saldana OR Chris Pine. Star Trek Into My Pants!"
- Kevin Smith
February 24, 2013

The Batman Appreciation Thread
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #124
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Quote:
Guys, the dwellers from Moria aren't Orcs, they're Goblins. And the ones from Mordor aren't Goblins, they're Orcs.

Two different classes completely.
I stand corrected.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #125
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

I will say that Azog is the biggest Orc I ever saw. But I will admit they made The Great Goblin a bit lame.