The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: How would you rate this film?
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 1 4.17%
6 2 8.33%
7 2 8.33%
8 11 45.83%
9 6 25.00%
10 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #76
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

lol do whatever you want.

I dont care if you believe me or not.

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #77
SnoBorderZero
There is no bathroom

Send a message via AIM to SnoBorderZero

Saw this at midnight 3D IMAX with the 48 fps running, so I'll start by saying yes at times it was hard to follow and the frame rate doesn't always work smoothly when the action is whipping around, but that it didn't hinder the viewing like a lot of people (around the internet) have been complaining about. I have always been a big fan of Peter Jackson's work, I've seen all of his films because of how much I loved "The Lord of the Rings" when it came out. This one is not his best, but I can't say I agree with the backlash it's receiving. There is a lot being made of the decision to make this into three films and not two, and while the film's running time is excessive I never was bored by what was going on. Yes there isn't much that occurs early on, but that's the book isn't it? I can certainly understand where the flack for the film is coming from, "The Hobbit" can never compete with the grandiose scale of "The Lord of the Rings" and shouldn't try to, there isn't nearly the level of plot or thematic elements going on to work with. Maybe it was just seeing some familiar faces and getting waves of memories that made me dismiss the film's faults. There are certainly some good scenes here, most notably the one with Gollum which I actually wish they had spent more time with. There are some great set pieces as one would expect from Jackson's production, and once the film gets moving it really starts utilizing its environment for some great battles. It is certainly true that a lot of the film seems a little bit unfocused and for a period the company seems to be thrown from one battle to another, but I liked how Jackson kept the material he had to work with moving. For people to say nothing happened is certainly false, but to say it's a bit disjointed, yeah you have a point there.

Freeman does a great job as Bilbo, I thought he gave the character good life amongst all the dwarves and working off of McKellen. Towards the second half of the film he doesn't particularly do a whole lot other than his encounter with Gollum and his lines shrunk, but once again that's how the book is to this point. I went into this film knowing it would be the first of three and it would end long before I wanted it to. I know typing this I need to see it again, it was nowhere near the level of "The Lord of the Rings" in any way, but at the same time I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and I'm excited for improvements from the sequels to come and a more focused plotline from Jackson. I'm not sure if by liking this I'm in the majority or the minority, but what the hell. Oh, and I forgot about how bad the other wizard is in the film, please no more of him.

8/10
SnoBorderZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #78
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

When you said, "always been a big fan of Peter Jackson's work" the rest of the review and the review score kinda made sense. Haha. I kid. Glad to see someone actually enjoys it.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #79
SnoBorderZero
There is no bathroom

True, I am a big fan so I understand if my score is out there, but I'm not excusing the film either. I really did enjoy it, and my theater experience was also crazy and awesome so that helped. I also would say that other than "The Lovely Bones" which was awful, all of Jackson's films have been solid.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #80
Deexan
Yes, have some.

Quote:
Shall we get Deexan to investigate again?
I've hung up my deerstalker.

To paraphrase Sherlock:

Quote:
I'm too old for dis s**t.
play Let It Be or Nevermind.
Deexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #81
FVD
The Pineapple Thief

Send a message via ICQ to FVD Send a message via MSN to FVD Send a message via Yahoo to FVD Send a message via Skype™ to FVD

I've already seen it 3 times - the first couple times in HFR (the latter at Wellington's Embassy Theatre) and yesterday in IMAX. Gotta say I found it a struggle watching in the traditional format though. As for the 48fps I would say DO go check it out especially just to go and form an opinion and not simply avoiding it. Images look fake be damned!!! I'm glad Sir PJ took a chance at filming in such a revolutionary format and quite frankly it was an incredible experience!!! Makes you wonder what James Cameron's Avatar sequels will look at 60fps when they come out.

As for the film well I have already seen it 3 times and I love it!! The moment at the end when Thorin thanked Bilbo with the ROTK music, man oh man the memories of the tears rolling down. That music is some of the most moving themes ever in the history of cinema imho!! The Riddles in the Dark scene too was very well done. Loved the emotion in Gollum's eyes as Bilbo eventually spared his life.

The performances were solid - now I actually LOVED Radagast the Brown!!! Where are these people out there getting their ideas of comparing him to Jar Jar Binks?!?! What a load of utter codswallop!!! The Rabbit Sleigh too was a nice touch not to mention his Rhosgobel Rabbits outrunning the Gundabad Wargs lol!! Even Saruman mentioning his excessive consumption of mushrooms got big laughs at every screening I've been to so far not to mention Bullroarer Took lobbing off the Great Goblin's head hence the invention of Golf LOL!!! Also thought Thranduil looked marvellous not to mention the Elk/Moose/Deer of which he was riding. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

The locations and the interiors not to mention Erebor was gorgeous!! Was in absolute awe seeing the camera taking us down further below the interiors of the Lonely Mountain. And really lookin' forward to Smaug in it's full glory now. All those teases in the Prologue not to mention the end of the film was cleverly executed.

Will definitely go see it again if I've got nothing left to watch seeing as I was in the US recently. Glad I was to have stayed in NZ for the Hobbit hence not wanting to wait til the 26th of December in Oz lol!! Maybe I'll see it in Oz, that remains to be seen ....

9/10.

I do not want what is not mine.... I only need what comes from within....

Last edited by FVD; 12-14-2012 at 08:14 PM.
FVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #82
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

I have to gather my thoughts and try to get into the right frame of mind, but... something happened to me while watching The Hobbit today. Something that I never thought I'd actually feel, and I'm going crazy trying to put together my thoughts but, I think I ****ing hated this film. I swear as a biased Tolkien fan through and through, I DO NOT SAY THIS LIGHTLY. But I think I hated this movie. There were just too many cons and not enough pros. I'll try to get my head in the game and write something but for now, I'm resting at a very, very generous 6/10.

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #83
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVD View Post
9/10.
Nice to read a different opinion. I might give the film a chance and watch it at a cheap matinee.
12:55 AM

"We’re No. 1 in TBS’ key demographic:
People who can’t afford HBO."
- Conan O'Brien
May 18, 2011

"I honestly don't know who gives me a bigger boner:
Zoe Saldana OR Chris Pine. Star Trek Into My Pants!"
- Kevin Smith
February 24, 2013

The Batman Appreciation Thread
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #84
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

Despite my low-ish rating (6/10), I'm still glad that many people here, and around me, seem to like the movie. I think many people are just happy to see Middle-earth once again.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #85
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
I think many people are just happy to see Middle-earth once again.
Or.....

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

- Conan O'Brien
May 18, 2011

- Kevin Smith
February 24, 2013

Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #86
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

Quote:
Or.....

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Ah, well there's that too. I have friends who aren't big fans of LOTR liking The Hobbit though. I was actually quite surprised to hear it. I've heard more positive reviews around me than anything else.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #87
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
I've heard more positive reviews around me than anything else.
Yeah, me too. That's why I'll give it a chance, but I'm not gonna spend much money on it. Just one of those cheap 5-or-6 dollar matinees.

- Conan O'Brien
May 18, 2011

- Kevin Smith
February 24, 2013

Old 12-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #88
Dracula
Bloodgod

Alright, so, against my better judgement I went to see this tonight. It will be a while before I get around to writing a full review, but there are a couple of points I want to make upfront:

1. The 48 Frames Per Second thing is absolutely terrible. The movie looked like video, especially during day scenes and action scenes. It also makes the visual effects look really bad. It does make the 3D a bit smoother than usual, but it's absolutely not worth it.

2. Speaking of 3D... it's not that great either. It's good from a technical perspective, but Jackson doesn't compose his shots in a way that takes great advantage of it and more often than not it was just a distraction. In general, it's a needless imposition on the iconic visual aesthetic established by the previous trilogy. So if you're going to see this I'd recommend doing it at a regular old 2D theater.

3. Compared to the LOTR movies this kind of sucks. Like, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull level sucks. I'll elaborate at a later date.

Last edited by Dracula; 12-15-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Dracula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #89
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Like, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Well, at least that's better than Phantom Menace.

- Conan O'Brien
May 18, 2011

- Kevin Smith
February 24, 2013

Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #90
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Is it?

59 out of 64 Hugo Award winners completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
What are you trying to prove exactly?
Quote:
I have no idea.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #91
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
Is it?
Yeah! It is.

- Conan O'Brien
May 18, 2011

- Kevin Smith
February 24, 2013

Old 12-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #92
SnoBorderZero
There is no bathroom

After going into discussion with a friend, I stand by that this is a 7/10 film. It nowhere nearly reaches the level of the LOTR nor does it move along nearly as well. I still enjoyed it, but I still certainly understand every aspect of the flack it's receiving.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #93
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Didn't you first give it an 8/10 but really a 7/10 for you is a 9/10 for other people.
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #94
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!

This movie had one of the most inconsistent tones I've ever seen.

It tried to be an epic prequel to the Lord of the Rings movies, but also found itself forced to reenact childish scenes from a kid's book. One or the other would have been fine, but not both.

You can't have an epic battle and speech about "THE THRONES OF ELLMIR ARE UNDER ATTACK *swelling epic music*" and then suddenly cut to a Three Stooges routine that ends with a character being covered in snot.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #95
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Can anyone tell us anything about the 9 minutes of Star Trek footage before the movie started?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #96
Deexan
Yes, have some.

"THE THRONES OF ELLMIR!"

play Let It Be or Nevermind.
Deexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #97
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Alright, so, against my better judgement I went to see this tonight. It will be a while before I get around to writing a full review, but there are a couple of points I want to make upfront:

1. The 48 Frames Per Second thing is absolutely terrible. The movie looked like video, especially during day scenes and action scenes. It also makes the visual effects look really bad. It does make the 3D a bit smoother than usual, but it's absolutely not worth it.

2. Speaking of 3D... it's not that great either. It's good from a technical perspective, but Jackson doesn't compose his shots in a way that takes great advantage of it and more often than not it was just a distraction. In general, it's a needless imposition on the iconic visual aesthetic established by the previous trilogy. So if you're going to see this I'd recommend doing it at a regular old 2D theater.

3. Compared to the LOTR movies this kind of sucks. Like, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull level sucks. I'll elaborate at a later date.
This is exactly how I felt. I had a LOTR marathon the two days before I saw The Hobbit and I was completely shocked at just how terrible the footage in The Hobbit was compared to the footage in the LOTR trilogy. And for crying out loud, the LOTR trilogy came out over a decade ago!!! And yet the tone and visual effects in Fellowship of the Ring compared to The Hobbit isn't even in the same harbor, let alone same boat.

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #98
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
This is exactly how I felt. I had a LOTR marathon the two days before I saw The Hobbit and I was completely shocked at just how terrible the footage in The Hobbit was compared to the footage in the LOTR trilogy. And for crying out loud, the LOTR trilogy came out over a decade ago!!! And yet the tone and visual effects in Fellowship of the Ring compared to The Hobbit isn't even in the same harbor, let alone same boat.
Let me ask a question In Star Wars don't most people think there effects looked better then in the prequels. LOTR is a masterpiece and it may never be out done no matter the age of effects. Yes there are 3 prequel Hobbit films but they may never equal what Rings was. People need to except movies can be less and still good. I think some people just expected LOTR reloaded.
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #99
Justin
Executive Loser

But that still doesn't excuse how bad the 48fps looks. I haven't seen it, yet I already have a feeling I'll hate it. The new aesthetic looks like a home movie even in the footage that Ewok posted in some other (or was it this one?) thread. You can't really defend it; if it looks like ****, it's ****. That's completely independent of the movie itself, however.

Last edited by Justin; 12-15-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #100
SnoBorderZero
There is no bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVader 2004 View Post
Didn't you first give it an 8/10 but really a 7/10 for you is a 9/10 for other people.
Yes but after thinking about it more I give it a 7.