The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > MAIN GATE > CS Community - We're going to party like it's 2003!

Old 12-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
FailedEagle
Director

Default Sandy Hook Elementary

So sad

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/us/con...html?hpt=hp_t1

Quote:
"(CNN) -- Nearly 20 people died Friday in a school shooting in Newtown Connecticut, a law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation told CNN.

At least 10 of the dead at Sandy Hook Elementary School were children, the source said.

A parent who was inside the school at the time of the attack said she heard what sounded like at least 100 rounds being fired. She said she saw two school employees who had died.

Hospital officials in neighboring Danbury said they were treating three people wounded in the shooting. Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton said the victims were in "very serious" condition.
3rd grader describes shooting from class

The shooter is dead, a source with knowledge of the investigation told CNN's Susan Candiotti. The suspect's body is in a classroom at the school, the source told CNN.

Police have recovered two weapons from the suspect, a Glock and a Sig Sauer, the source said. It's unclear if police killed the suspect.
Timeline: School violence in U.S.Timeline: School violence in U.S.

'It doesn't seem possible' -- parents shocked by school shooting

The Newtown Bee newspaper said one child had been carried out by a police officer and emergency crews had set up triage facilities, expecting additional patients. The Hartford Courant newspaper said one victim had "numerous gunshot wounds."

Aerial images from CNN affiliate News 12 New Jersey showed police officers armed with rifles following a dog into woods near the school.

Other officers, some in tactical gear, stood around the school with guns drawn, CNN affiliate WFSB reported.

A photograph published by The Newtown Bee showed teachers and police leading students out of the building across a parking lot.

One student, a third-grader, told CNN affiliate WTNH that she was sitting in her classroom when police flooded the area.

"We saw police officers and we heard them on our roof and in our building," the girl said.

Some of the children were crying, and others felt they had a stomachache, she said.

The girl's father told the station the incident was shocking.

"I was pretty shaken up," he said.

All schools in the city were on lockdown Friday as police assessed the situation, state police spokesman Lt. Paul Vance said.

Students were evacuated to a nearby firehouse, the Danbury News-Times newspaper reported.

The first calls came into police around 9:40 a.m., according to media accounts.

Police scheduled a news conference for 1 p.m. ET.

Newtown is about 60 miles north of New York."
Thoughts and Prayers go out to the people affected by this senseless tragedy. When our children are not safe, we need to re-examine what we are doing.

Last edited by FailedEagle; 12-14-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: quote
FailedEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

The first person that says on the news "THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR A GUN CONTROL DISCUSSION" should be publicly kicked in the teeth. When are we going to sit down in this country, like adults, and discuss this damn issue? If 20 dead children doesn't jar your soul, what will? 40? 100? James Holmes-squared? I was tired of this the first time it happened, and now that we're up to #7,676,9301, I am more pissed off than tired. We need to stop the goddamn madness NOW.

And, for those following along at home, there have been 31 school shootings since Columbine. If that doesn't piss you off, I don't know what will.

Sincerely,
Brock Landers

This will explain everything.

Last edited by Brock Landers; 12-14-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Brock Landers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Knerys

Hard to have a rational conversation when everyone is emotionally charged. All you get is us vs. them and so forth. But that's not to say something needs to happen. Because it does.

And, for the record, civilians should not have access to assault weapons. You don't need a M-16 to take down a deer.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerys View Post
Hard to have a rational conversation when everyone is emotionally charged. All you get is us vs. them and so forth. But that's not to say something needs to happen. Because it does.
Absolutely. I'll be the first to admit that I'm incredibly emotionally-charged this morning & running off of sheer anger (well, three cups of coffee, too). I'm just tired of this crap.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
FailedEagle
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerys View Post

And, for the record, civilians should not have access to assault weapons. You don't need a M-16 to take down a deer.
Completely agree...

Now they are saying the shooter killed at least one of his parents before going to the school... Just unbelievable.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
FailedEagle
Director

One more thing about gun control - I don't want to start a debate, but I have to get this off my chest. The line that we are fed traditionally is that - "Guns don't kill people, people kill people". That is flawed logic. Guns are the instrument used yes, but it takes a lot longer to kill a mass amount of people with knives, arrows, or rocks. These "tools" are designed to kill. Automatic weapons? They are designed to kill people... on a large scale. Totally inappropriate to be in the hands of John Q. Public.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Frizzo the Clown
Awesome

I guarantee that if I go talk to some of the morons that I still consider my "friends," at least one of them (but probably all of them) will say something along the lines of "oh, if those teachers had been allowed to have guns at school, this wouldn't have happened!"
Frizzo the Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzo the Clown View Post
I guarantee that if I go talk to some of the morons that I still consider my "friends," at least one of them (but probably all of them) will say something along the lines of "oh, if those teachers had been allowed to have guns at school, this wouldn't have happened!"
It reminds me of the ridiculous argument that happened during the Dark Knight Rises shooting in Colorado: "if the people in that theater had guns, they could've stopped Holmes." Right: in a crowded, smoky movie theater that is in a complete state of panic/confusion, surely there was a crack-shot/Jack Bauer in there who could dive over movie seats and miss hitting civilians, engaging Holmes in a gun-battle...sorry, I'll stop.

I should just avoid the news/computer this morning.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
Knerys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
It reminds me of the ridiculous argument that happened during the Dark Knight Rises shooting in Colorado: "if the people in that theater had guns, they could've stopped Holmes." Right: in a crowded, smoky movie theater that is in a complete state of panic/confusion, surely there was a crack-shot/Jack Bauer in there who could dive over movie seats and miss hitting civilians, engaging Holmes in a gun-battle...sorry, I'll stop.

I should just avoid the news/computer this morning.
Heh you sound like me after I read too much news. I start to hate everything.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
Frizzo the Clown
Awesome

This year in Oklahoma, we passed an open-carry law to help feed our "cowboy" mentality.
Frizzo the Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Hell, we just had a shooting in Oregon a few days ago. At a goddamn mall. I was raised around guns, I took "Hunter's Safety Courses," I've been hunting, I was raised in a family that loves the Second Amendment like it was Jesus Christ, and those are the reasons why I don't own a gun. Because I have been educated about guns/raised in a "gun-culture family," I avoid them. They scare the crap out of me.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Things that Anger Brock, #657: the news interviewing little children who witnessed the shooting. Have they not seen enough evil this morning that they need to relive it in the name of a ****ing sound-bite?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Does anyone happen to know what kind of weapons were used? I'm actually rather curious.

The gun debate though, while simple in some respects (statistics overwhelmingly support private gun ownership/conceal carry vs. gun control to lower crime), is also complex in other areas such as what restrictions are going to be implemented and how to prevent that from encroaching into other areas. If you say 'well assault weapons just aren't practical,' then the same has to be said about pistols. After all, it's much easier to conceal a pistol and an assault weapon would be much more effective for home defense strictly due to the control and accuracy would you have vs. that of a pistol that you probably never practice with (pistols are nothing like in the movies, you could just as easily miss a target 20 feet away). All I know is that a 'take away all guns' approach is a bad idea, the worst idea actually. The real question lies with the ease of obtaining these weapons, especially in southern states where you can go through gun shows and private collectors and buy a gun that day. But I want to see the circumstances of this incident before preaching; who were these people, where did they come from and what did they use?
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
Does anyone happen to know what kind of weapons were used? I'm actually rather curious.
I ran across a report earlier that said a .223

And, to clarify: I'm offering no policy recommendations or anything remotely like that, I'm mostly speaking from a place of highly-charged anger right now. I'm sure I'll be able to rationally discuss this issue later, but for now...disgust and anger.

Last edited by Brock Landers; 12-14-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

F*** the 2nd Amendment is all I have to say.

Quote:
I ran across a report earlier that said a .223

I...don't know what that is.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
I...don't know what that is.
Something like this:

Of course, like all (well, maybe "most guns" is a more accurate statement), it can be modified....

Old 12-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

A..223 is a type of ammunition and it can be used in semiautomatic weapons. Siiiigh.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

it was reported it was two 9 millimeter handguns. a glock and something i didn't recognize. said he had time to reload multiple times, if the reports are accurate.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
A..223 is a type of ammunition and it can be used in semiautomatic weapons. Siiiigh.
Yes, absolutely, it's a type of ammunition, but .223 rounds must be fired through a weapon that supports that caliber (a .223 rifle), and that can be used for anything from killing rats & squirrels to loading up your AR-15 or your M-16.

EDIT: also just saw Frank's post. As this is a Breaking News story, every last detail is subject to change. Ignore my previous comment. As I've noted multiple times, I am not exactly a rational human being when I get livid...like everyone else.

Last edited by Brock Landers; 12-14-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
F*** the 2nd Amendment is all I have to say.
Today I'm inclined to agree with you completely.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #21
JBond
Beyond

I felt that way yesterday.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Quote:
Yes, absolutely, it's a type of ammunition, but .223 rounds must be fired through a weapon that supports that caliber (a .223 rifle), and that can be used for anything from killing rats & squirrels to loading up your AR-15 or your M-16.

EDIT: also just saw Frank's post. As this is a Breaking News story, every last detail is subject to change. Ignore my previous comment. As I've noted multiple times, I am not exactly a rational human being when I get livid...like everyone else.
Dude I just reread my previous post, I sound like an ass because I didn't expand. I wasn't 'siiigh'ing you Brock, I was sighing the fact that (before Franklin posted) the shooter presumably used a .223 which could be used in semiauto weapons like a Mini .14 or AR-15, weapons that could inflict a lot of damage. Nothing to do with what you said at all just in case you thought I was coming off as a dick.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #23
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Dude I just reread my previous post, I sound like an ass because I didn't expand. I wasn't 'siiigh'ing you Brock, I was sighing the fact that (before Franklin posted) the shooter presumably used a .223 which could be used in semiauto weapons like a Mini .14 or AR-15, weapons that could inflict a lot of damage. Nothing to do with what you said at all just in case you thought I was coming off as a dick.
Dude, it's all good. I wasn't offended, nor did I find anything offensive about your comment. It's all good, broseph.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #24
JBond
Beyond

If I could bottle the love in this thread, there would be world peace.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

The gunmen had a Glock, Sig Sauer and a .223 caliber rifle (I heard an AR-15 but that's not .223 caliber). Regardless, this is an absolutely devastating day for the nation. I grew up not too far from this town, 100 miles or so and can go on record as saying that Connecticut is incredibly quiet, content and beautiful. To think of something happening and to this magnitude is gut wrenching.

A lot of people are missing the point of this, and are turning this into a gun debate. Nothing is more selfish than worrying about your own damn **** when a 18 5-10 year old children were just executed.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote