The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: How would you rate this film?
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 1 4.17%
6 2 8.33%
7 2 8.33%
8 11 45.83%
9 6 25.00%
10 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #51
Justin
Executive Producer

A 6/10 sounds pretty fair to me, considering how every other review sounds nearly the same. A 3/10 should be reserved for something like Alex Cross or John Carter. There's no possible way this is that bad.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #52
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

I'll let you know.

60 out of 65 Hugo Award winners completed.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #53
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
A 3/10 should be reserved for something like Alex Cross or John Carter. There's no possible way this is that bad.
You're right.
12:55 AM

^ 10 years. LOL.
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #54
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
I wasn't expecting The Hobbit to be as good or even better than LOTR. But when the end result is a far cry from the quality of the original trilogy, then you have to wonder if something went wrong along the way. I don't want to walk into a LOTR-related movie with LOWERED EXPECTATIONS. That's just sad to begin with.
Sometimes you just can't catch lightning in the same Bottle but surely you know The Hobbit and LOTR are not really the same stories. I think people are expecting Rings when its a tale called The Hobbit. The Hobbit is a lighter movie and it is not all doom and gloom. Yes you have rumbles as to what lies ahead but really its an adventure set in times before the ring woke up to its masters call.
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #55
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVader 2004 View Post
Sometimes you just can't catch lightning in the same Bottle but surely you know The Hobbit and LOTR are not really the same stories. I think people are expecting Rings when its a tale called The Hobbit. The Hobbit is a lighter movie and it is not all doom and gloom. Yes you have rumbles as to what lies ahead but really its an adventure set in times before the ring woke up to its masters call.
I think I understand the difference between The Hobbit and LOTR, thank you very much. But there is a difference between a goofball trolls (great adaptation from the book) and rabbit sleighs (what the ****). I loved the trolls. I thought they were great. I didn't even mind it when one of the trolls sneezed into Bilbo. But the rabbit sleigh? No one can justify that. Maybe someone thought Radagast needed a mode of transport, like how Gandalf had Shadowfax. Well, give him a bear or something, or a good old horse. Why a sleigh? Is a sleigh the ideal vehicle in a forest? Do you see the difference? There's goof, and then there's GOOF. I wasn't expecting another end-of-the-world story line with LOTR, but there are times when the movie goes overboard.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #56
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Saw it again and the problems are more noticeable. I agree with PsYko the first 20 minutes are brilliant and totally loses momentum...

I hated the scene with orcs and stone trolls a lot...

I do think the Music and Soundtrack is great though, and scene with Gollum is solid viewing.

***/*****

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #57
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

It picks up and slows down. Picks up again and slows down. I don't want to discredit the rest of the film.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #58
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Keep in mind that (The book) The Hobbit was written before LotR - I think that makes a difference in scope and tone of the story
"I don't...Am I speaking Russian? How come I'm speaking Russian?"
Ramplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #59
Deexan
Reflektor

I wonder if GDT was responsible for the sleigh...
But you know it's just an act
Deexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #60
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

I was not really big into seeing this...and all this does is confirm that notion.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #61
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

Thank the heavens I'm not going on the reviews in this thread, lol. You guys are all over the damn place...

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #62
sshuttari

It's a mess... What else is there to say when your trying to love a movie and its not loving you back...

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #63
Neverending
sex

sshuttari has posted like 3 different opinions in this thread. lol.

^ 10 years. LOL.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #64
sshuttari

Yeah. Sorry it's rough one man... That should tell you how much I wanted to love this film. It's quite disheartening

Quote:

Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #65
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

What's confusing, sshuttari is not the fact that you're trying to tell us how you feel in comparison to how the film actually was. The problem is the fact that you first post a positive review, then change your tune when people start questioning your possible bias feelings, then change them again and say something different. Reviews are not written to please readers, that's what books are for. Reviews are supposed to express the opinions of it's writer for better or worse, regardless of how other people might feel towards the film.

Take a step back, think how you really feel, then write your thoughts on the matter.

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #66
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshuttari View Post
Yeah. Sorry it's rough one man... That should tell you how much I wanted to love this film. It's quite disheartening
You gave the movie an 8/10 as I did but sounds a bit like your caving somewhat too peer pressure.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #67
sshuttari

lol guys I'm not changing my mind after peoples comments. I saw it again and it didn't hold up.

Doesn't anyone around here watch a movie again and changes opinions? Honestly it happens a lot in this forum.

Give the movie another shot and see if it's as good as you remembered it the first time

Quote:

Old 12-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #68
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Give sshuttari a break, even Siskel and Ebert changed their tunes on movies after seeing them again.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #69
Panther2000
Executive Producer

Thumbs up I just got home

1st let me say God Bless all those who were killed today in CT. Bless them & their families.

My review of The Hobbit:

1st off I can not watch any 3D movies. It has nothing to do with the fps ( It is my vision period. ) Regardless movie, all 3D movies are not clear enough for me to enjoy the enhanced visuals that 3D provides. I had the same problem with HP7 & other movies. I just have to wear my regular glasses & I can't wear my regular glasses & the 3Ds on top( I tried, it did not work). Also, the fact that I have height issues, that doesn't help.

The Review: I really liked the movie( PJ set the bar way too high with RINGS, no matter how The Hobbit was it was never going to be on the level of RINGS.) RINGS was new & it had never been done before( it amazed everyone). However, The Hobbit was really good, not great but worth the ticket price. The start( the narration) could be cut down by 10 min, but for people who have not read the books it does bring them up to speed. I loved the hobbits in Bag End. Them cleaning up after dinner was great.

Once they hit the road, things do pickup. The Giant Rock fight was amazing( from what I could make out) that was great. As for the brown Wizard( He is no Jar Jar, it wasn't even close.) He does come off as a little out there. Bird poop on his head , enough said about that.

I just have one question?
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
was that the rebirth of the Witch KING? & The morgule (sp) blade that Frodo got stabbed with
The Goblin KING( love that Chin, Ballsy ) gross.

Bilbo & Smegol, just wonderful: There is a great tie in with the narrative from LOTR:FOTR, when Cate was talking about Gollum's cave( Now we know what Gollum was doing at that moment. We assumed that he was looking for the ring( No, he wasn't. I won't spoil it for other)

I must say that Biblo steps up & did a heroic act, the finally really became a Group on a quest. & I thnk the last 40 min of the movie has set the stage for the next 2 movies.

There is more but, I will wait ( way too many spoilers).

The Short of it is that the movie is great but, not on the level of RING( which it never was going to be. It is a children's book so the tone is comical & quirky and I did really like it) A lot of the Critics couldn't seem to get that fact. I do like the light heartness of the movie.

My rating is 7/10.

I do think that PJ & co will go back to the drawing board & Trim some of the fat the other movies.

Ok I am off to read your reviews

The movie is visually stunning & I do think that narrative was very good( a bit long winded).
Old 12-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #70
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Its funny you 7/10 sounds a bit more favorable then a few 8/10's
Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #71
sshuttari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
Give sshuttari a break, even Siskel and Ebert changed their tunes on movies after seeing them again.
Thanks!

Here's a present

http://boilemmashmem.ytmnd.com/

Quote:

Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #72
Panther2000
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVader 2004 View Post
Its funny you 7/10 sounds a bit more favorable then a few 8/10's
my 7 has more I think to do with me not being able to focus & see the movie clearly than the few things that I did not care for in the movie. For me the movie did not seem to last that long ( Slow at bits yes)
Old 12-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #73
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
you first post a positive review, then change your tune when people start questioning your possible bias feelings, then change them again and say something different.
His first review was fake. His second was real. His third was trying to cover that up.

^ 10 years. LOL.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #74
sshuttari

Quote:

Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #75
Neverending
sex

Shall we get Deexan to investigate again?

^ 10 years. LOL.