The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: How would you rate this film?
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 1 4.17%
6 2 8.33%
7 2 8.33%
8 11 45.83%
9 6 25.00%
10 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #26
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshuttari View Post
I don't see 4/5 a bad thing for A Hobbit review from Sshuttari really. Its likely going to be one of the more possitive reviews. I have excepted long ago what the movie is and it ain't rings and I am going in hopes just to loose myself for a few hours and not be totally offended and his review gives me hope that it will be not bad really. If too long is all thats wrong then I am good. And plan to see it in 2D so won't have the 48 issue.
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #27
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

I WANT the 48 issue. I'm too curious to pass it up.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #28
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshuttari View Post
Ha! Thanks Justin I appreciate that I use to write lengthy detailed reviews and people complained its too long.

So I started trying to make smaller reviews and getting to the point. Can never win I suppose....
For what it's worth...whenever I write a review now, I try to find a balance by going into detail about what I think makes the film work or not work, but not so much detail that it'd seem like I'm rambling or that the review would feel "spoilery." There is a middleground.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #29
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

My reviews suck - and I don't care. That is all.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #30
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheCool View Post
I WANT the 48 issue. I'm too curious to pass it up.
I may check it out in 3D cause do have the option but its more to do about time cause its a long movie. My options are only 12:45 PM 4:10 PM and Night showings 7:15 and 10:30.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #31
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

Watching this tonight! Can't wait!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #32
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
Watching this tonight! Can't wait!
Good write a review let me know if anyone else was bothered!

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #33
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

I will try my best, even though I am watching it in normal 24 FPS. My review will probably focus more on the movie than the format. Stay tuned!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #34
sshuttari

Sweet!

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #35
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Movie Review The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey

I saw and early screening of this movie and Its going to take a while to rely my thoughts on the film and comment on other negative fears from those here unsure if its worth a Look.

I am going to give as fair a review as possible and not seem like a fan boy or negative nelly.

Firstly the films is not Quite LOTR But really its neither really the same story or circumstances. If your going in expecting LOTR redux then may be angry or judgemental.

The Hobbit is a bit lighter in nature and not Rings remade into The Hobbit. The Hobbit is more Family Friendly and really in a since it is in spirit the Hobbit Book.

McKellan and Freeman totally earned supporting actor awards for they are very good in the movie. In ways McKellan is better as Grey really then he was in TTT and ROTK as White. But Then again I always liked Grey Better.

Freeman does a great Job is doing a younger Ian Holm weither he means too or not.
The dwarfs are like they are in the Book and that can be good or bad. Because they don't seem to have purpose other then Luring Bilbo from his door. In the Books they are kind of unhelpful side characters who only show up over greed after Smaug is dead.

I will commend peter on making them more brave and The Actor Playing Thorin is very good but truth be know my favorite Dwarf is Balin for seems has more screen time with Bilbo really.

I am hoping the Dwarfs grow a bit more when Gandalf is gone for a while in the 2nd movie.

I will comment on the effects. They are good on some things and needs more time on other cgi effects but the acting and story Kinda make up for some Goblin CGI odd creations.

The Best Scene in the movie probably is when all the LOTR returnees but Legolas meet as The White Council. And The Gollem and Bilbo scenes.

Truth is its not as bad as I have heard but needed some more effects work. But its a nice return to a different time in middle earth.
It does kinds start out slow but I got no feeling it was on purpose for really its not easy introducing 13 new characters and doing the mission.

Bilbo kinda also has a little longer time to make up his mind which seems better then the fastness of The Hobbit.
There is plenty to like in the action parts later. If like fantasy its a good movie.
But if Expected LOTR all over its not quite that. I would love to say its better but can't but this movie does seem like a set up for Hobbit 2 beings bigger and better.

8.5/10
Old 12-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #36
slinger
10 Years?!

I saw the 3D 48fps version last night, I say avoid that if you can. It totally takes you out of the film for the first part, doesn't feel like a LOTR/Jackson film at all but like a video game or European drama from the 90s. I enjoyed the film but I would never want to see a film in 48fps again, just the worst thing you could do to a established franchise is change the way it looks. My friend did also not like the 48fps. Shore's score was also a huge disappointment, nothing memorable at all.

It's not Phantom Menace-Bad (with the high frame rate being Jar Jar) but it doesn't live up to any of the previous films, so don't expect any Best Picture nods. This is an adventure film set in Middle Earth with some familiar faces but it can't even match what Jackson did 11 years ago.
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #37
Neverending
sex

I'll probably end up "redboxing" this movie. Or at least waiting for the HBO/Starz premiere.
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #38
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY A REVIEW.

To begin, I'd like to let you guys know just how big a fan I am of the series. When I lost count of how many times I've watched FOTR, it was 42. In fact, I signed up for an account at ComingSoon.net because of LOTR. I've read the books a dozen times over the years (even before LOTR was made into a movie), and I am as big a fan as it gets. So, you know where I am coming from.

I decided to watch the movie in 2D, without the 48 FPS, simply because I didn't want the effect to distract me from the actual movie. I figured, well, I'd catch it in 48 FPS if I do like the movie. In that way, I can justify the extra ticket price and the extra trip to the cinema. So, did I like what I saw?

Well, it was more disappointing than anything else. The first 20 minutes of the movie, I was trembling with excitement literally. My girlfriend, whom I watched the movie with, noticed that I was hyperventilating throughout the first 20 minutes because, guys, it is that good. Some people complained about there being too much expositions in the first half of the movie. For me, I didn't exactly feel that way at all. I thought Frodo and Bilbo's introduction to the main story line was done just right, and the flashback sequence to Erebor was done beautifully. The attack on Erebor, though brief, was exciting, not to mention the fact that you catch a glimpse of Smaug spewing fire on the poor citizens of Dale.

Many people also complained that it took way too long for Bilbo to step out of the Shire. However, I would argue that the length was just right, and I enjoyed the introduction of the dwarves, the unexpected party, as well as the contract signing. Chunks of the book were lifted, line by line, and that was a pleasant surprise for a fan of the book such as myself. It was delightful, even though I could've done without the songs. Blunt the Knives, the song sung by the dwarves while they were clearing up the plates, became a little cheesy. Misty Mountains, while it was an amazing song, didn't quite fit into the context of the scene. I still loved all the scenes in the Shire, but I didn't want to have to deal with the songs, true to the book or not.

Next, we move on to the trolls. Special effects wise, the trolls were spot-on. The trolls were a little goofy but, I wasn't expecting anything less, knowing that the trolls in the book were equally weird. My problem actually came after this scene, especially with the introduction of Radagast the Brown. Many people expressed concerns over that character. To me, his character didn't annoy me very much (even though I have no idea who the hell thought it was a good idea to cover his hair with dried bird ****). What annoyed me was the spider attack scene, which amounted to nothing, as well as his rabbit sleigh. The rabbit sleigh was simply over the top. It looked like something straight out of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and I cannot care less how close Tolkien were to Lewis. The rabbit sleigh was a bad idea from the first time I saw it in the trailer, and it remained an eyesore throughout the movie. Yes, I said "throughout the movie", because it appears multiple times.

This leads us to the lacklustre scene with the wargs. Jackson thought it was necessary to include a villain that isn't in the book. The last time he did that in LOTR, it worked. Lurtz, the Uruk Hai commander in FOTR, was a menacing villain through and through. Azog looked like an ugly Engineer from Prometheus with scars all over the place. The fact that Azog is 100% CGI made him less convincing, less menacing, and the fact that he spoke only in orc-ish (is there such a word) made him even less threatening. Anyway, Azog ordered a pack of wargs to go after the dwarves because there is some kind of personal vendetta. I buy that, but the chase in broad daylight not only revealed the flaws in the special effects, the chase was simply not very exciting. The design of the wargs was poorly thought out and, in my opinion, even worse than the ones from TTT (made 10 years ago, mind you).

It was welcoming to see Rivendell, not to mention the characters we haven't met in a long time. Elrond, Galadriel and Saruman all make appearances here. However, someone in the cutting room obviously forgot that Bilbo is, in fact, the protagonist of the story. From after the troll scene till this scene, Bilbo has no lines, nor does he appear very often on the camera. Suddenly, he is shoved to the back in favor of the White Council scene. The Council of Elrond chapter in LOTR is perhaps one of the longest chapters in the books. If you've read the books, you'd know that it isn't a particularly exciting chapter. However, the adaption of that scene in FOTR was done perfectly as it trimmed down the fats and told us what we needed to hear. In The Hobbit, the White Council was simply too long, and the reveal of the "Morgul Blade" was uninspired.

If there is one entire sequence that they should have not filmed from the book, it should've been the stone troll scene. Now, I've never imagined the stone trolls to be actual rocks as depicted in the movie. I imagined them to be trolls, just throwing rocks at one another in the book. The sequence stood out like a sore thumb and made no sense in any context. Even for a fantasy movie like The Hobbit, stone trolls (or rock giants) was simply pushing it. I mean, I can buy Balrogs, but stone trolls?

Our company then enters the Misty Mountains. Many people were concerned about the use of CGI in this sequence based on the clips. In fact, I had no problems with the Goblin Town in the heart of the Misty Mountains. My problem was with the Goblin King, yet another CGI contortion that made no sense. Sure, the Goblin King is a character in the book, but his treatment was a little off as well. He was not menacing at all, and he basically made a whole bunch of threats before dying in an anti-climatic manner. This is also a good opportunity to point out that I miss the prosthetic orcs in Moria. They had a certain realism, or grittiness to them. I understand that Jackson wanted CGI orcs because he wanted them to have more expressive, monstrous faces. However, the prosthetics really gave the orcs a distinctive, menacing look that's totally missing here. By the way, this is also a point where Gandalf makes his second deus ex machina rescue. We've seen it in the movie once before already. Seeing it again lessened the impact completely. I liked that, in this movie, Gandalf wielded more magic, but overusing his last-minute appearances diluted the effect. The reason why his appearance in TTT at Helm's Deep was so impactful is because, throughout the movie, you don't see him do that so often. That made it moving, but the same cannot be said here.

By the way, a point has to be noted about Jackson's obsession with cliffs. I hated the way the characters fell off cliffs in King Kong and somehow survived the ordeal, unharmed. Sure, they got eaten by giant bugs, but the fall didn't kill any of them. The same thing happened in the Goblin Town scene, where the entire company slips off a cliff and somehow survives. Remember that giant cavern that the Fellowship almost fell into in Moria? Yeah, the cliff was that high, and the company somehow survived the fall. I don't care if The Hobbit, as a book, is supposed to be lighter, goofier and funnier. That was pushing it.

Now, one of the best sequences of the entire movie happens here. Gollum and Bilbo's scene was amazing. I repeat, it was amazing. With Gollum, you can totally see that the technology behind the character has advanced significantly. The scene was almost completely lifted out of the book (with a few riddles left unsaid, but that's not a complaint). I loved how, when Bilbo put on the ring, because Sauron wasn't in full power yet, the greyed-out world wasn't nearly as scary as it was for Frodo when he first put it on. By the way, it was also nice to see many tie-ins to LOTR, including Frodo's trip to the East (or was it West) Farthing, Weathertop and this. That scene played out brilliantly, and I was almost sad when Gollum was done with the story line.

Then we get the final scene with the wargs. God damn wargs, I really hate their look. Too much CGI, and the characters interacted (fought) with them in a weird, unnatural way. Azog makes an appearance here, of course, and we expect Thorin to have an epic hand-to-hand battle with him just like Lurtz Vs. Aragorn. No, that doesn't happen. Perhaps it was to showcase Bilbo's bravery, but Thorin didn't even get to swing his blade at Azog. The scene was done, the CGI villain yells at the camera, and the company is carried off by, yes, the Eagles.

Look, there are many things that I enjoyed about The Hobbit. Martin Freeman was pitch perfect as Bilbo Baggins, and Ian Mckellen was amazing too. In fact, all the dwarves did a great job, even though they had limited screen times. As mentioned, Andy Serkis' performance really carried the scene, and I loved all the throwbacks to LOTR. The first 20 minutes was exhilarating, and the scenes from the Shire were tastefully done. People complained that the first half of the movie felt long, pointless and draggy. I would argue that, in truth, the slowness of the story was felt in bits and pieces throughout the movie, even in the supposedly more exciting second half.

Now that I have watched the first movie, not to mention the fact that I have read The Hobbit multiple times, I can say that the decision to split the book into three movies is the most unwise, ill-advised decision in the history of cinema. I can see why the book can be translated into two movies, I guess, but not three. If the second movie is going to be called The Desolation of Smaug, one can assume that it will end with Smaug being defeated. If that's the case, then what the hell is going to be in the third movie other than the Battle of the Five Armies? As of now, the movie already feels padded and over-long. I feel that things could have been edited, shaved and trimmed better. For the LOTR films, PJ worked with two other editors for each of the three movies. This time, he worked with just one other editor. Now, I have nothing against Jabez Olssen, but he's a novice in editing. If you've ever watched the behind-the-scenes DVDs from LOTR, you'd know that Olssen seldom ever has an opinion on anything. My suspicion is that Jackson made all the decisions, and Olssen simply went along with them.

The result is a bloated first chapter of a trilogy that could've used some editing, less CGI and more human moments. By that, I mean little scenes with Bilbo talking to the dwarves, or more of Bilbo talking to Frodo. What if the entire trilogy is narrated by Ian Holm's Bilbo Baggins, and Frodo interrupts his story every now and then throughout the movie? It'd make for a more interesting story telling, in my opinion. Imagine the stone troll scene happening, and Frodo interrupts the story by going, "Wait, trolls? Made of stones? Are you serious, uncle?" That'd have improved the scene tremendously.

Jackson has the unique opportunity to fix his mistakes in the second and third movie, though. Even though I have no idea how he is going to find enough materials to fit three movies, I think there are many lessons he can learn from the first movie. I wouldn't call it a failed attempt, but I think too much of The Hobbit is appealing to our nostalgia of LOTR. I think, for the most part, he misses the times when he was making "the most expensive independent movie in New Zealand" too. I don't know if 48 FPS will carry on into the second and third movie, nor do I know if the subsequent movies will improve in terms of quality. I do know that this movie has been somewhat disappointing, and I will not be watching it in 48 FPS any time soon.

6/10

You have a year to work out the kinks, Jackson, don't disappoint us anymore.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #39
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

well that might settle it... doubt i'm gonna see this. 3 hours for a mediocre movie is not something i need.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #40
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Quote:
THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY A REVIEW.

To begin, I'd like to let you guys know just how big a fan I am of the series. When I lost count of how many times I've watched FOTR, it was 42. In fact, I signed up for an account at ComingSoon.net because of LOTR. I've read the books a dozen times over the years (even before LOTR was made into a movie), and I am as big a fan as it gets. So, you know where I am coming from.

I decided to watch the movie in 2D, without the 48 FPS, simply because I didn't want the effect to distract me from the actual movie. I figured, well, I'd catch it in 48 FPS if I do like the movie. In that way, I can justify the extra ticket price and the extra trip to the cinema. So, did I like what I saw?

Well, it was more disappointing than anything else. The first 20 minutes of the movie, I was trembling with excitement literally. My girlfriend, whom I watched the movie with, noticed that I was hyperventilating throughout the first 20 minutes because, guys, it is that good. Some people complained about there being too much expositions in the first half of the movie. For me, I didn't exactly feel that way at all. I thought Frodo and Bilbo's introduction to the main story line was done just right, and the flashback sequence to Erebor was done beautifully. The attack on Erebor, though brief, was exciting, not to mention the fact that you catch a glimpse of Smaug spewing fire on the poor citizens of Dale.

Many people also complained that it took way too long for Bilbo to step out of the Shire. However, I would argue that the length was just right, and I enjoyed the introduction of the dwarves, the unexpected party, as well as the contract signing. Chunks of the book were lifted, line by line, and that was a pleasant surprise for a fan of the book such as myself. It was delightful, even though I could've done without the songs. Blunt the Knives, the song sung by the dwarves while they were clearing up the plates, became a little cheesy. Misty Mountains, while it was an amazing song, didn't quite fit into the context of the scene. I still loved all the scenes in the Shire, but I didn't want to have to deal with the songs, true to the book or not.

Next, we move on to the trolls. Special effects wise, the trolls were spot-on. The trolls were a little goofy but, I wasn't expecting anything less, knowing that the trolls in the book were equally weird. My problem actually came after this scene, especially with the introduction of Radagast the Brown. Many people expressed concerns over that character. To me, his character didn't annoy me very much (even though I have no idea who the hell thought it was a good idea to cover his hair with dried bird ****). What annoyed me was the spider attack scene, which amounted to nothing, as well as his rabbit sleigh. The rabbit sleigh was simply over the top. It looked like something straight out of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and I cannot care less how close Tolkien were to Lewis. The rabbit sleigh was a bad idea from the first time I saw it in the trailer, and it remained an eyesore throughout the movie. Yes, I said "throughout the movie", because it appears multiple times.

This leads us to the lacklustre scene with the wargs. Jackson thought it was necessary to include a villain that isn't in the book. The last time he did that in LOTR, it worked. Lurtz, the Uruk Hai commander in FOTR, was a menacing villain through and through. Azog looked like an ugly Engineer from Prometheus with scars all over the place. The fact that Azog is 100% CGI made him less convincing, less menacing, and the fact that he spoke only in orc-ish (is there such a word) made him even less threatening. Anyway, Azog ordered a pack of wargs to go after the dwarves because there is some kind of personal vendetta. I buy that, but the chase in broad daylight not only revealed the flaws in the special effects, the chase was simply not very exciting. The design of the wargs was poorly thought out and, in my opinion, even worse than the ones from TTT (made 10 years ago, mind you).

It was welcoming to see Rivendell, not to mention the characters we haven't met in a long time. Elrond, Galadriel and Saruman all make appearances here. However, someone in the cutting room obviously forgot that Bilbo is, in fact, the protagonist of the story. From after the troll scene till this scene, Bilbo has no lines, nor does he appear very often on the camera. Suddenly, he is shoved to the back in favor of the White Council scene. The Council of Elrond chapter in LOTR is perhaps one of the longest chapters in the books. If you've read the books, you'd know that it isn't a particularly exciting chapter. However, the adaption of that scene in FOTR was done perfectly as it trimmed down the fats and told us what we needed to hear. In The Hobbit, the White Council was simply too long, and the reveal of the "Morgul Blade" was uninspired.

If there is one entire sequence that they should have not filmed from the book, it should've been the stone troll scene. Now, I've never imagined the stone trolls to be actual rocks as depicted in the movie. I imagined them to be trolls, just throwing rocks at one another in the book. The sequence stood out like a sore thumb and made no sense in any context. Even for a fantasy movie like The Hobbit, stone trolls (or rock giants) was simply pushing it. I mean, I can buy Balrogs, but stone trolls?

Our company then enters the Misty Mountains. Many people were concerned about the use of CGI in this sequence based on the clips. In fact, I had no problems with the Goblin Town in the heart of the Misty Mountains. My problem was with the Goblin King, yet another CGI contortion that made no sense. Sure, the Goblin King is a character in the book, but his treatment was a little off as well. He was not menacing at all, and he basically made a whole bunch of threats before dying in an anti-climatic manner. This is also a good opportunity to point out that I miss the prosthetic orcs in Moria. They had a certain realism, or grittiness to them. I understand that Jackson wanted CGI orcs because he wanted them to have more expressive, monstrous faces. However, the prosthetics really gave the orcs a distinctive, menacing look that's totally missing here. By the way, this is also a point where Gandalf makes his second deus ex machina rescue. We've seen it in the movie once before already. Seeing it again lessened the impact completely. I liked that, in this movie, Gandalf wielded more magic, but overusing his last-minute appearances diluted the effect. The reason why his appearance in TTT at Helm's Deep was so impactful is because, throughout the movie, you don't see him do that so often. That made it moving, but the same cannot be said here.

By the way, a point has to be noted about Jackson's obsession with cliffs. I hated the way the characters fell off cliffs in King Kong and somehow survived the ordeal, unharmed. Sure, they got eaten by giant bugs, but the fall didn't kill any of them. The same thing happened in the Goblin Town scene, where the entire company slips off a cliff and somehow survives. Remember that giant cavern that the Fellowship almost fell into in Moria? Yeah, the cliff was that high, and the company somehow survived the fall. I don't care if The Hobbit, as a book, is supposed to be lighter, goofier and funnier. That was pushing it.

Now, one of the best sequences of the entire movie happens here. Gollum and Bilbo's scene was amazing. I repeat, it was amazing. With Gollum, you can totally see that the technology behind the character has advanced significantly. The scene was almost completely lifted out of the book (with a few riddles left unsaid, but that's not a complaint). I loved how, when Bilbo put on the ring, because Sauron wasn't in full power yet, the greyed-out world wasn't nearly as scary as it was for Frodo when he first put it on. By the way, it was also nice to see many tie-ins to LOTR, including Frodo's trip to the East (or was it West) Farthing, Weathertop and this. That scene played out brilliantly, and I was almost sad when Gollum was done with the story line.

Then we get the final scene with the wargs. God damn wargs, I really hate their look. Too much CGI, and the characters interacted (fought) with them in a weird, unnatural way. Azog makes an appearance here, of course, and we expect Thorin to have an epic hand-to-hand battle with him just like Lurtz Vs. Aragorn. No, that doesn't happen. Perhaps it was to showcase Bilbo's bravery, but Thorin didn't even get to swing his blade at Azog. The scene was done, the CGI villain yells at the camera, and the company is carried off by, yes, the Eagles.

Look, there are many things that I enjoyed about The Hobbit. Martin Freeman was pitch perfect as Bilbo Baggins, and Ian Mckellen was amazing too. In fact, all the dwarves did a great job, even though they had limited screen times. As mentioned, Andy Serkis' performance really carried the scene, and I loved all the throwbacks to LOTR. The first 20 minutes was exhilarating, and the scenes from the Shire were tastefully done. People complained that the first half of the movie felt long, pointless and draggy. I would argue that, in truth, the slowness of the story was felt in bits and pieces throughout the movie, even in the supposedly more exciting second half.

Now that I have watched the first movie, not to mention the fact that I have read The Hobbit multiple times, I can say that the decision to split the book into three movies is the most unwise, ill-advised decision in the history of cinema. I can see why the book can be translated into two movies, I guess, but not three. If the second movie is going to be called The Desolation of Smaug, one can assume that it will end with Smaug being defeated. If that's the case, then what the hell is going to be in the third movie other than the Battle of the Five Armies? As of now, the movie already feels padded and over-long. I feel that things could have been edited, shaved and trimmed better. For the LOTR films, PJ worked with two other editors for each of the three movies. This time, he worked with just one other editor. Now, I have nothing against Jabez Olssen, but he's a novice in editing. If you've ever watched the behind-the-scenes DVDs from LOTR, you'd know that Olssen seldom ever has an opinion on anything. My suspicion is that Jackson made all the decisions, and Olssen simply went along with them.

The result is a bloated first chapter of a trilogy that could've used some editing, less CGI and more human moments. By that, I mean little scenes with Bilbo talking to the dwarves, or more of Bilbo talking to Frodo. What if the entire trilogy is narrated by Ian Holm's Bilbo Baggins, and Frodo interrupts his story every now and then throughout the movie? It'd make for a more interesting story telling, in my opinion. Imagine the stone troll scene happening, and Frodo interrupts the story by going, "Wait, trolls? Made of stones? Are you serious, uncle?" That'd have improved the scene tremendously.

Jackson has the unique opportunity to fix his mistakes in the second and third movie, though. Even though I have no idea how he is going to find enough materials to fit three movies, I think there are many lessons he can learn from the first movie. I wouldn't call it a failed attempt, but I think too much of The Hobbit is appealing to our nostalgia of LOTR. I think, for the most part, he misses the times when he was making "the most expensive independent movie in New Zealand" too. I don't know if 48 FPS will carry on into the second and third movie, nor do I know if the subsequent movies will improve in terms of quality. I do know that this movie has been somewhat disappointing, and I will not be watching it in 48 FPS any time soon.

6/10

You have a year to work out the kinks, Jackson, don't disappoint us anymore.
Hold up there Franklintard. I realize his review sounded dreadful and feed your fears. But really I would wait to here other reviews. He and myself are fans and fans can sometimes be hard to please or easy to please. I went in with lower expectations and was not putting it being equal to Rings or its a failure deal.
The Hobbit and LOTR was never the same story so in a since not the same movie.
The Hobbit is not a quick paced adventure and if wanted that then the hobbit was never the ideal movie.
Give it a try in 2D and it will not be maybe as bad to you. Then it is to fan boys like us.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #41
Justin
Executive Producer

You quoted the wrong person.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #42
sshuttari

lol

Quote:

Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #43
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Here's the lowdown, guys. If you are a fan of LOTR, maybe you will like it. If you are not, well, I don't think this movie is going to win you over. If you want to watch it, watch it. You might enjoy it. There is a great movie hidden in this movie, but there are a lot to get through before you see it.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #44
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
You quoted the wrong person.
Actually I was trying to talk to both at the same time. Trying to get Franklin to least check the movie out and trying not to insult what was a really lengthy good review by another.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #45
Justin
Executive Producer

You can use the multi-quote function for that.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #46
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVader 2004 View Post
Hold up there Franklintard. I realize his review sounded dreadful and feed your fears. But really I would wait to here other reviews. He and myself are fans and fans can sometimes be hard to please or easy to please. I went in with lower expectations and was not putting it being equal to Rings or its a failure deal.
The Hobbit and LOTR was never the same story so in a since not the same movie.
The Hobbit is not a quick paced adventure and if wanted that then the hobbit was never the ideal movie.
Give it a try in 2D and it will not be maybe as bad to you. Then it is to fan boys like us.
I wasn't expecting The Hobbit to be as good or even better than LOTR. But when the end result is a far cry from the quality of the original trilogy, then you have to wonder if something went wrong along the way. I don't want to walk into a LOTR-related movie with LOWERED EXPECTATIONS. That's just sad to begin with.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #47
Neverending
sex

I wonder if PsYkOoOoO is in denial like when people saw Phantom Menace for the first time. Like... maybe this movie is terrible.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #48
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Quote:
I wonder if PsYkOoOoO is in denial like when people saw Phantom Menace for the first time. Like... maybe this movie is terrible.
Why'd I be in denial when I gave it a low rating? If I am in denial, wouldn't I be giving it a higher rating than a 6/10?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #49
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Why'd I be in denial when I gave it a low rating? If I am in denial, wouldn't I be giving it a higher rating than a 6/10?
Despite the 6/10 rating, you defended the movie quite a bit. I mean, you were literally hyperventalating during the first 20 minutes. I wonder if your rating will still be 6/10 a year from now. Maybe it'll be a 5 or a 4 or a 3.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #50
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Quote:
Despite the 6/10 rating, you defended the movie quite a bit. I mean, you were literally hyperventalating during the first 20 minutes. I wonder if your rating will still be 6/10 a year from now. Maybe it'll be a 5 or a 4 or a 3.
I was indeed feeling nauseous in the first 20 minutes because I still stand by the fact that those 20 minutes were brilliant filmmaking. The attack of Smaug on Dale and Erebor was simply spectacular. If I am in total denial, I'd probably be defending every negative point I make which I didn't. Perhaps, a year from now, it will dip to a 4 or a 3. Hell, if the second movie turns out way better than this, I might just drop my rating too. For now, I can't deny that many aspects of the film reminded me of LOTR. It showed moments of brilliance, even though it is also ladened with flaws. I'm pretty sure an apologist for the movie will be much kinder than me.