The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > MAIN GATE > CS Community

Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #7701
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

they clearly have a different view of 'falling ill' than i do.

also to the university president... there was pot on your campus before it went legal ya know... didn't lose your funding then.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #7702
docstop
Hockey Legend

Those who fell sick, were just that. People who aren't used to MJ can become quite ill if they haven't been exposed to it. Plus, MJ isn't the same as it was in the past. Its A LOT stronger now and laced with tons of chemicals etc.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #7703
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Any idiotic news on the end of the world?
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #7704
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinTard View Post
they clearly have a different view of 'falling ill' than i do.

also to the university president... there was pot on your campus before it went legal ya know... didn't lose your funding then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by docstop View Post
Those who fell sick, were just that. People who aren't used to MJ can become quite ill if they haven't been exposed to it. Plus, MJ isn't the same as it was in the past. Its A LOT stronger now and laced with tons of chemicals etc.
It's more like they didn't know they were dosed, and if you experience the feelings and had no knowledge of what you had in your system, you might panic thinking you were sick too.

And docstop, a brownie high is a little more intense high than smoking it. Especially if you have more than your share - which I bet happened in some cases. Who doesn't like a couple of brownies?

Anyway, yeah dosing someone without their consent is definitely not cool.
"I don't...Am I speaking Russian? How come I'm speaking Russian?"

Last edited by Ramplate; 12-10-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Ramplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #7705
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

Quote:
Sorry doc, but it sounds like you're trying to make pot into this killer drug that it clearly will never be.

Cigarettes, my friend... you should look into those.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #7706
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramplate View Post
It's more like they didn't know they were dosed, and if you experience the feelings and had no knowledge of what you had in your system, you might panic thinking you were sick too.

And docstop, a brownie high is a little more intense high than smoking it. Especially if you have more than your share - which I bet happened in some cases. Who doesn't like a couple of brownies?

Anyway, yeah dosing someone without their consent is definitely not cool.
Bingo. I wouldn't chalk it up to "chemicals" in the brownie/pot -- edibles can be WAY more intense than simply smoking it, especially if you have no idea that you're ingesting it. And there's no established "levels" for a proper brownie, so you can stuff as much hash-oil in to each serving as you want, so you can put in a little bit and a feel a little buzzed...or shoot for the moon and end up really sick if you don't have the proper tolerance. One time I watched someone get so baked off a brownie that they started to have a mini-panic attack. **** happens.

This will explain everything.
Brock Landers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #7707
Deexan
Reflektor

drugs r bad mkay
Old 12-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #7708
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deexan View Post
drugs r bad mkay
Only if done alone and selfishly.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #7709
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

I've always fallen asleep after brownies
Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #7710
docstop
Hockey Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
Sorry doc, but it sounds like you're trying to make pot into this killer drug that it clearly will never be.

Cigarettes, my friend... you should look into those.
The coffin sticks are really bad, over 4,000 chemicals in each one.

Depends on your definition of what makes a drug, any type of drug, bad. I consider pot to be a drug with a lot of negatives connected to it because of its gateway drug potential and the fact that it is linked to early psychosis in youth and teens. I'm connecting a few dots here, but for kids who do end up with, for example, schizophrenia, they have a substantially higher risk of committing suicide in comparison to the rest of the population.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #7711
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

oh christ the gateway argument... and the schizo argument... man you musta just came from a DARE meeting or something.

the way you parrot everything the talking heads say is just hilarious doc.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #7712
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
oh christ the gateway argument... and the schizo argument... man you musta just came from a DARE meeting or something.
I wasn't going to say anything, but seriously: the "Gateway Drug" argument?? What year is this again? To steal & paraphrase an old joke: "pot is a gateway to harder drugs the same way that drinking milk is a gateway to drinking alcohol."

Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #7713
docstop
Hockey Legend

Quote:

the way you parrot everything the talking heads say is just hilarious doc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
I wasn't going to say anything, but seriously: the "Gateway Drug" argument?? What year is this again? To steal & paraphrase an old joke: "pot is a gateway to harder drugs the same way that drinking milk is a gateway to drinking alcohol."
Well like everyone else here on these boards, I'm going on my own experiences and scientific fact. I work with youth and teens who have been diagnosed with drug-induced psychosis (often schizophrenia). It's not a pretty sight and one that I would not wish on any family... and the drug is almost always marijuana. It happens and just because its not happening to everyone who does pot doesn't take away from the fact that it does affect a lot more young people than many would like to admit.

And pot is totally a gate-way drug. Again, I'm not saying that its going to affect everyone the exact same way, but in general, people who smoke pot have friends who do so as well. I'm not trying to demonize people who smoke it but based on that social circle, they are often exposed to more drugs than just marijuana. Add in some peer pressure and it can become a recipe for disaster.

... and Frank, can you further elaborate on who the "talking heads" are? I'm focusing on scientifically proven facts. And calling people "schizo" is demeaning.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #7714
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Again, I'm not saying that its going to affect everyone the exact same way, but in general, people who smoke pot have friends who do so as well. I'm not trying to demonize people who smoke it but based on that social circle, they are often exposed to more drugs than just marijuana. Add in some peer pressure and it can become a recipe for disaster.
I understand your point, but couldn't you also say that because of a social circle anything could end up being a gateway? I think this has more to do with the individual than where a drug can lead you (however vague that sounds). For example: I have friends who are delirious about golf, and yet I don't feel any need to join in because, well, I hate that goddamn game. Your social circle could expose you to everything from weed and cocaine to golf and really terrible beer, so you could realistically find gateway arguments anywhere, right?

As for drug-induced psychosis/schizophrenia: was it the drug that caused it, or wouldn't it be fair to guess that the individual might have a history of mental illness in their family before they ever even knew what pot was? I wouldn't doubt that marijuana could exacerbate the condition, but I wouldn't call it the cause. More of a flashlight than a cause, you see what I mean? I'm just curious, since you mentioned you worked with young adults/teens.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #7715
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Also: apologies if my "what year is this?!" comment came off a bit prick-ish, docstop.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #7716
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

The gateway thing is BS through and through (Dow Chemical Propaganda from the 30's). I agree that makes as much sense as milk leading to alcohol.
What really matters is if one has an addictive personality - that is what leads to other drug use. Some people just have no willpower to resist when it comes to drug use and peer pressure as well.

I have heard about the schizophrenia thing, and I don't doubt that some young impressionable minds can be subject to such a thing - but it is unlikely in the majority of cases.
In any case, I do believe there is a lower age limit to those who should be exposed to most kinds of drugs - I mean, look at what not taking Paxil according to directions can do to a youngster. With that there have been psychotic episodes - and some of them with quite deadly results. (that said - most people on Paxil have depression problems to begin with)

Last edited by Ramplate; 12-11-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #7717
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

Quote:
Well like everyone else here on these boards, I'm going on my own experiences and scientific fact.
Personal experience maybe, fact? Hardly.

First I would like to apologize, as that was demeaning and I should know better, but there is no evidence to suggest cannabis causes schizophrenia, none. You can link me all the scientific studies you want, but the fact is, if it did cause schizophrenia, you would see a drastic increase in cases of schizophrenia as cannabis use has increased, but you don't. It is even at 1% of the population (the historical norm), and may even be diminishing.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #7718
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Guys, maybe we should look into what he's saying. I mean, I never drank a soda in my life until I tried a diet coke. I thought I could stick to it and I'd be fine. I thought just drinking diet coke would be enough, but I was wrong. One day, I took a taste of regular coke just to see how it was and that was it, I wanted more. From there it was cherry coke, root beer, orange soda, sprite, mountain dew, mr. pibb (oh God, the things I did for mr. pibb)...
Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #7719
Justin
Executive Producer

That's just having self-control. People with addictive personalities should probably look elsewhere. You can make the same argument for food and just about anything; it's not like marijuana is going to be any worse for your body. Everything can be harmful to your body if done in excess.

As for working with teens with psychosis, their disorder could be attributed to anything. Using an anecdote is not evidence--that's not scientific fact. I'd like to know where you read that MJ has been known to cause psychosis, because I've never once heard that. Right now, it sounds like you've met some teenagers with problems prior to smoking weed. Other drugs like LSD and ecstasy (again, in excess) have been known to cause problems like that, but never weed.

Last edited by Justin; 12-11-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #7720
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
mr. pibb (oh God, the things I did for mr. pibb)...

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #7721
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

He's right. I've been clean off the Pibb for about three months now. Hardest thing I've ever done. One day you're fine, and the next...you're standing over a dead prostitute, naked, holding on to a Mr. Pibb like it was the last chopper out of 'Nam. Tolk, my brother, we must hold strong.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #7722
Justin
Executive Producer

Since those stupid Live Strong bracelets are done, you guys could start merchandizing more for Pibb Survivors.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #7723
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

You could always do Coke instead.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #7724
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Nah, Coke is so 90s. Pibb addiction and Hostess withdrawal is where the money backing is now.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #7725
Deexan
Reflektor

I've never heard about Pibb before today but all I know now is that I must have this mysterious elixir.