The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: rate
10 15 22.06%
9 18 26.47%
8 15 22.06%
7 7 10.29%
6 5 7.35%
5 4 5.88%
4 1 1.47%
3 1 1.47%
2 1 1.47%
1 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #1401
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief117 View Post
I do agree about the constant trend that 'new is better'.
That's because YOUR generation hasn't learned to appreciate things. As I said in PG Cooper's Batman thread, when I was kid, `60s Batman, Tim Burton's movies and the FOX Kids' animated series co-existed perfectly. They were three different interpretations and that's what's great about them. Batman has been around since 1939 because of the various versions.

The Dark Knight Rises' blu-ray includes the Batmobile documentary that aired this summer on the CW. That's a fantastic documentary because it honors the entire history of the character. From the comics to the shows to the cartoons and to the movies. What a great celebration of the character's 70-plus year history. And yet, I bet most people didn't even bother to watch it.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #1402
Dracula
Bloodgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
That's because YOUR generation hasn't learned to appreciate things. As I said in PG Cooper's Batman thread, when I was kid, `60s Batman, Tim Burton's movies and the FOX Kids' animated series co-existed perfectly. They were three different interpretations and that's what's great about them. Batman has been around since 1939 because of the various versions.
I seem to remember more than a few comic book fans disown the 60s Batman and most of the character's previous iterations once Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and Burton's Batman hit.

If you ask me they were right to do so, but that's beyond the point.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #1403
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I seem to remember more than a few comic book fans disown the 60s Batman and most of the character's previous iterations once Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and Burton's Batman hit.
Fans have always struggled with the `60s series. On the positive side, it did save Batman. DC was about to cancel the comic book due to poor sales. And as for the campiness, the comics had been campy for nearly two decades at that point. So, it wasn't "unfaithful" per say. But on the negative side, the comics returned to their dark roots in the `70s and attempts to adapt that version of Batman proved difficult because the mainstream saw the character as silly children's entertainment. And the success of Richard Donner's Superman didn't help either because, while respectable, it was pretty light-hearted and campy in its own right. So, fans came to hate the show the same way they hated Batman & Robin when it killed the movie franchise. But... that's all water under the bridge. Tim Burton brought the dark and psychological Batman to the mainstream and Chris Nolan rescued the movie franchise. So... no reason to be upset anymore. Batman & Robin is a pretty terrible movie. There's very little to appreciate about it. But the `60s Adam West series has a lot of charm and humor that works very well in my opinion.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #1404
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

I'm not the best with this photobucket deal so I'll just do a couple per post so hopefully it doesn't mess with everyones browsers.

John Blake's costume
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #1405
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

[
Old 12-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #1406
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Looking at these photos I realized I only took a couple pictures of the artwork. Had I thought 'hmm, the gang on CS would love this' I would have taken way more but I'll see if I can track any down online or something and post a link.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #1407
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #1408
Neverending
Ducks

I see the old Batmobiles in the back.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #1409
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Catwoman made entirely of Legos
Old 12-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #1410
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

The Tumbler by the way is not big at all. I thought it would be the size of a tank but the thing is barely 5 feet high. Barely. It's wide like a Hummer but hardly up to my shoulder.

Last edited by Doomsday; 12-09-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #1411
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #1412
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #1413
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #1414
Neverending
Ducks

Tough to beat the classic batmobile.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #1415
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Beyond awesome.

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes). April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

AFI: Top 100 (98), Top 10 (Gangster).

Best Picture Nominees: 1953, 1962, 1976, 1985, 1989, 1997, 2000, 2003-2013.

Blog, letterboxd, twitter.
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #1416
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

Awesome pics, Dooms.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #1417
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Quote:

I don't doubt that. I don't know if you're trying to insult me in this because most of my favorite films are films with a lot of age. I think I have one movie post 2000. I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to say. Regardless, I respect the hell out of the 60s series. The movie might be hard to watch just because it is so damn campy but you have to respect the fact that it worked back in the day, and Adam West is damn good.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #1418
Deexan
Reflektor

I can picture Dooms now walking around tutting and pffting.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #1419
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

"Stupid batsuit...look at this stupid batmobile...tumbler...who calls a batmobile a tumbler!? Look at this dumb Joker outfit. Looks so dumb."

I imagine he'd be doing that the entire time, under his breath...perhaps hiding a whiskey bottle underneath his coat.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #1420
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

'Psh, nice nurse outfit. Too bad nurses don't dress anything like that. What a stupid movie.'

'Rhas al Ghul sits on a throne? Uhh sorry but no one sits on thrones anymore, idiot.'

I have a few more photos, I'll throw them up later tonight.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #1421
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
Beyond awesome.
Did I hear Batman Beyond...

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #1422
nine1wing
Executive Producer

Batman returns was on this weekend, couldn't make it more than 20 minutes, horrible
nine1wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #1423
Deexan
Reflektor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
'Rhas al Ghul sits on a throne? Uhh sorry but no one sits on thrones anymore, idiot.'
Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #1424
Movie mogul
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine1wing View Post
Batman returns was on this weekend, couldn't make it more than 20 minutes, horrible

Too dark for you?
Movie mogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #1425
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

The Dark Knight Rises is one of the most divisive films of 2012 with people falling all over the place with how they feel. I was very disappointed with the film when I first saw it last summer, a fact which Iíve not been quiet about. I didnít think the film was horrible, but I certainly didnít think it was good either. I always knew I would give the film a second viewing eventually, of which Iíve now done. Much to my surprise, I enjoyed the film significantly more than the first time. Though still far from perfect, the filmís strengths came through a lot more and a large amount of initial issues were lessened or eliminated altogether. I thought Iíd discuss how and wow some of my points of view have changed. Those who have not seen The Dark Knight Rises look away; massive SPOILERS.

Two of my biggest problems with The Dark Knight Rises were Alfred leaving Bruce and Bruce hanging off the cowl at the end of the film. These bothered me because the decisions oppose my view of the characters. In my opinion, Alfred would never leave Bruce and Bruce would never walk away from being Batman until he physically could no longer do it. So it bothered me seeing these characters act in a way that so massively contradicts how I view them. Now, Iíve accepted the differences. I donít necessarily ďlikeĒ the choices made, but I donít hold them against the film either. The thing is, it always bothers me when people complain about changes to the source material and use them to knock a film. Like fans of Stephen King who think Stanley Kubrickís The Shining sucks because itís different from the book. The film is its own property and as far as Iím concerned should be allowed to make some changes. And yet there I was complaining about The Dark Knight Rises being different from previous incarnations. It isnít fair of me to confine the film to what I deem acceptable actions for the characters, especially when I argue that filmmakers are allowed to take liberties. All that so say that I no longer take issue with Alfred leaving or Batman hanging up the cowl. It isnít my interpretation of the characters, but thatís okay. Besides, I already have my ultimate version of Batman (Batman: The Animated Series) so I donít need every other adaptation of the character to match those standards.

I also remember being really let down by the action scenes at the time. I admired the technical elements of the scenes, but I did not feel invested in them. I feel much better about them now. I think at the time, my disappointment with the film overshadowed how well executed the action scenes are. Watching them again, these are some very strong action sequences. The opening plane set-piece, the war for Gotham, the end chase for the bomb, and the two fights between Batman and Bane are all amazing scenes and extraordinary well-done. The scenes of Batman and Catwoman fighting together and Batmanís first reappearance are a lot of fun too. Iíve also come to really enjoy the more epic and fantastical elements of the story. I thought the film strayed too far from the (relatively) more realistic Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Maybe it does, but on its own it works. In fact I like that Nolan decided to cut loose and have more fun with the action and story in his final Batman film. The images of a city under siege had a much more profound effect on me this time around.

Two new characters in The Dark Knight Rises are John Blake and Miranda Tate (who is really Talia al Ghul), played by Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Marion Cottilard, respectively. I did not like these characters on first viewing but Iíve warmed to them a lot. I found Blake a much more likable and noble character than before and Levittís performance is very good. Cottilardís Talia I liked a lot more too. Despite her limited time as Talia, Cottilard brings the characters pain and sense of vengeance to the screen very well. I still have some issues with these characters in writing (which Iíll get into later) but I like them a lot more now.

Finally, thereís Bane. I initially felt very mixed about Bane. I thought his voice was comedic and distracting and that he was reduced to being a henchman by the end. Watching The Dark Knight Rises again, I loved Bane. I thought he was an awesome and very scary villain and that Tom Hardyís performance is great. The voice didnít bother me at all either. Maybe Iíve just become accustom to it at this point. I also donít see him serving Talia as a character a flaw, but as a strength. It gives Bane more depth and I like the idea of a violent and sadistic character having an emotional core. I also respect how Bane had to follow The Dark Knightís Joker, who is one of the absolute best villains put on film. While Bane doesnít reach Jokerís heights, he feels his own character who is so different he need not be constantly compared to Ledgerís work.

I do still have a lot of issues with the film. The first act is still convoluted and messy. The Dagget character and subplot could have been handled much better for example. I still think the fact that Batman essentially has to ďriseĒ twice slightly diminishes the power of the arc. I think the magic knee brace is lame. I donít think John Blake is ready to be Batman yet. The Talia twist is undercut by the fact that she dies ten minutes later and by her and Bruceís relationship being so small with everything else going on. As great as the chemistry is between Batman and Catwoman, the idea of them running off together as lovers still seems underdeveloped. The Matthew Modine character added nothing. But even with that, all the elements I enjoyed the first time are still great. Christian Bale and Anne Hathaway give great performances, the music is excellent, the production design first rate, and the cinematography striking. It makes the film a mixed bag but one where the good far outweighs the bad. I still think the film is vastly inferior to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and while it may not be the Batman film I wanted, but itís still a damn good one in spite of some big flaws.

Rating: B+

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes). April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

AFI: Top 100 (98), Top 10 (Gangster).

Best Picture Nominees: 1953, 1962, 1976, 1985, 1989, 1997, 2000, 2003-2013.

Blog, letterboxd, twitter.
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote