The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Movies Coming Soon

Old 12-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #626
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Voyager was all about Janeway and how she will f**k you up if get in her way!

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #627
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Weyoun was probably my favorite B-character from DS9.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #628
Knerys

I like most everyone with vary degrees. The only characters I truly disliked were Troi (though tolerated because I was young) and Kes (whom I couldn't stand and was soooooooooo happy left).

DS9 had the best emseble but TNG had stronger leads. Worf was my favorite as a kid. Still is. I always thought Dr. Crusher was under utilized. Nog is to often overlooked as well.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #629
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

ds9 was also all about jake sisko and his outfits...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)

Last edited by FranklinTard; 12-09-2012 at 11:51 AM.
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #630
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Oh yeah, I liked Nog. And the Area 51 episode. "Little Green Men?"

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #631
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerys View Post
Where's the saucer section?
Like I said, I don't think it's the Reliant. Now to the far right of the screengrab it looks like you see a saucer but I'm not sure? It DOES, however, look like the Valiant.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #632
Knerys

It looks like the Enterprise without its saucer section.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #633
Neverending
Ducks

Tonight, Paramount Pictures and Bad Robot screened for press the nine-minute IMAX prologue to J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Trek Into Darkness. ComingSoon.net was on hand to take a first look at the footage and will be heading to Bad Robot tomorrow for more information. In the meantime, Abrams himself has requested that we keep specific details of the footage to a minimum.

Most intriguing about what was showcased, said to represent the first nine minutes of the film, is that it asks far more questions than it answers. By the time it's done, we still don't know the identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's mystery villain and we're left with the reveal that much of what we've already seen in the trailer is actually part of a separate adventure that joins the Enterprise crew in media res.

The footage opens with Noel Clarke and Kayla Hassan's characters living what appears to be a very ordinary life in the 23rd century. They wake up, make breakfast and drive to a hospital where a little girl, presumably their daughter, is unconscious in bed. The entire scene plays without dialogue, but with a surprisingly powerful Michael Giacchino score, somewhat reminiscent of the tear-inducing opening of Up.

Clearly troubled that he can't do anything to help her, Clarke is standing outside when he's approached by Cumberbatch, who tells him that he can help. Clarke asks who he is and we just get a mischievous Cumberbatch smile.

The rest of the footage finds the Enterprise in the middle of a mission to the same red-colored planet that we see in the trailer. Kirk and McCoy have been visiting the locals undercover and are now making a hasty escape. Hidden at the bottom of the planet's ocean, the Enterprise monitors the mission and, from a shuttle, Spock, Uhura and Sulu make their way inside a volcano. Spock has to head into the volcano to prevent it from erupting and, as lava waves build, it looks like he may not be getting out alive.

Abrams made the point in his introduction that fans have already assumed from the title and the first trailer that the sequel will be overly dark and he's hoping that this footage is going to counter that reaction. What's genuinely great about what happens onscreen is that we're seeing a fun "Star Trek" adventure that gives every single crew member a quick starring moment. We also get enough humor (particularly from Simon Pegg) that manages to make light of exactly the kind of fan over-analysis that the film is sure to generate (i.e. Can the Enterprise even operate underwater?)

The film, set for release on May 17, 2013, also stars Chris Pine, John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Alice Eve and Peter Weller. You can find a full list of theaters showing the IMAX preview by clicking here and check back tomorrow for more details from Bad Robot.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #634
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Quote:
Before you watch the movies, watch the TV show. It's only 3 seasons.
I don't watch much TV and I don't see myself committing to this series...unless the movies really knock me on my ass.

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #635
MasterChief117
The Batman

TOS can be pretty tough to watch. If nothing else, at least watch the films. You'll generally enjoy most of them. I absolutely promise you. Some will entertain you and others will impress you on a cinematic level...and then some will amaze you with how dumb they are. Haha. FULL PACKAGE
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
Old 12-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #636
Neverending
Ducks

First of all, what's with all the "original series" hatred? Secondly, I posted description of the first 9 minutes of Into Darkness. It's right above Cooper's post.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #637
MasterChief117
The Batman

Quote:
First of all, what's with all the "original series" hatred? Secondly, I posted description of the first 9 minutes of Into Darkness. It's right above Cooper's post.
I read it. It confirmed what I already thought, not to panic.

TOS has never been a favorite of mine. It just hasn't been. The episodes drag, the acting is incredibly cheesy and some of the plot lines are dull. Regardless, I respect it and acknowledge it for what it is. Without The Original Series we would not have the other series to succeed it.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #638
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief117 View Post
TOS can be pretty tough to watch. If nothing else, at least watch the films. You'll generally enjoy most of them. I absolutely promise you. Some will entertain you and others will impress you on a cinematic level...and then some will amaze you with how dumb they are. Haha. FULL PACKAGE
My brother is getting Wrath of Khan and Voyage Home for Christmas, plus he already has Search for Spock, so I'll give those a whirl after the holidays.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #639
Knerys

Quote:
Abrams made the point in his introduction that fans have already assumed from the title and the first trailer that the sequel will be overly dark and he's hoping that this footage is going to counter that reaction. What's genuinely great about what happens onscreen is that we're seeing a fun "Star Trek" adventure that gives every single crew member a quick starring moment. We also get enough humor (particularly from Simon Pegg) that manages to make light of exactly the kind of fan over-analysis that the film is sure to generate (i.e. Can the Enterprise even operate underwater?)
Maybe he shouldn't have called it "Into Darkness" then...
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #640
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
TOS has never been a favorite of mine. It just hasn't been. The episodes drag, the acting is incredibly cheesy and some of the plot lines are dull. Regardless, I respect it and acknowledge it for what it is. Without The Original Series we would not have the other series to succeed it.
What's considered the best episode of TNG? The one where the Borg attacks the Enterprise? You know what's considered the best episode of TOS? The one where Kirk travels back in time and falls in love with with a woman who must die or else history will be altered for the worse. That's the fundamental difference between Gene Roddenberry's vision and the commericalization of the franchise by Paramount after TMP underwhelmed the masses. JBond & Co. may love to complain about JJ Abrams but you guys are getting exactly what you always wanted.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #641
sshuttari

Sounds like from the premise there bringing back exploration and discovery to Star Trek

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #642
MasterChief117
The Batman

Quote:
What's considered the best episode of TNG? The one where the Borg attacks the Enterprise? You know what's considered the best episode of TOS? The one where Kirk travels back in time and falls in love with with a woman who must die or else history will be altered for the worse. That's the fundamental difference between Gene Roddenberry's vision and the commericalization of the franchise by Paramount after TMP underwhelmed the masses. JBond & Co. may love to complain about JJ Abrams but you guys are getting exactly what you always wanted.
What is considered the best episode of TNG is The Inner Light. At least by my Father and my own standards. The Best of Both World episodes are Top 10 but not the best.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #643
MasterChief117
The Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
My brother is getting Wrath of Khan and Voyage Home for Christmas, plus he already has Search for Spock, so I'll give those a whirl after the holidays.
I cannot wait to hear what you have to say. Definitely want a review on them from you when you're done.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #644
Knerys

Quote:
What is considered the best episode of TNG is The Inner Light.
The one where Picard lives the life of a man of long dead alien race.

And he gets an awesome flute.

Also Roddenberry was deeply involved in TNG until his death. And you confusing flashy action with human conflict. The Borg literally believe everyone was better if they were assimilated. The ultimate threat to free will. Every war in human history has been fought until this idea. It's part of our condition, therefore still revelant.

Last edited by Knerys; 12-10-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Knerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #645
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Quote:
I cannot wait to hear what you have to say. Definitely want a review on them from you when you're done.
I'll definitely share my thoughts as I go.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #646
sshuttari

The Voyage Home is my favorite Star Trek film

Quote:

Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #647
Knerys

I love Undiscovered Country. It is fundamentally Star Trek through and through. And no one ever talks about it. :/
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #648
saveus1011
Directive 4 (Classified)

Send a message via AIM to saveus1011 Send a message via Yahoo to saveus1011 Send a message via Skype™ to saveus1011

Undiscovered Country is second best to Khan IMO.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #649
Neverending
Ducks

The Undiscovered Country is the best of both worlds. It covers classic Star Trek themes but it's also a big action film to entertain the masses. I think it's often overlooked because it isn't as memorable as Wrath of Khan and Voyage Home.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #650
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

I think The Undiscovered Country gets lost in the shuffle, since it was released during the height of the Next Generation's popularity. TNG was fairly new when Final Frontier was released, plus it sucked. Undiscovered Country is acknowledged enough to continue the rule of even numbered ST movies being good, while odd numbers stink, but that's about all. It was just a two hour movie, while TNG was not only on with a new episode every week, but was also in re-runs by that point.
Wyldstaar is offline   Reply With Quote