The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > MAIN GATE > CS Community

View Poll Results: How long should the rounds last?
Every two weeks, like we've done for the past 6 rounds. 18 46.15%
Every three weeks, like we did for the rounds before that. 6 15.38%
Doesn't seem to matter, I rush last minute, anyway. 15 38.46%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #8801
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhamon22 View Post
I'll do Project Nim, I've been meaning to check that out.
Alright, fair warning, it can be tough to watch some of it if you're an animal lover.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #8802
JBond
Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhamon22 View Post
I'll do Project Nim, I've been meaning to check that out.

For you:

House of Pleasures

Klown

Magic Mike

Sound of My Voice
I'll go with Klown.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #8803
Justin
Executive Loser

Frailty (2001)

Even though I saw the ending coming from a mile away, this was decent. Bill Paxton was one of the weak links in the acting, whose performance as a delusional psychopath comes off as contrived and a little silly. His direction, on the other hand, is far better, albeit a little too mundane. There aren't any unique stylistic choices that would separate this from any other standard thriller/mystery, but he still maintains a sense of creepiness.

Matt O'Leary and Jeremy Sumpter somehow surpass the usual cringeworthy performances of children in film. Both actors make it believable, in spite of Paxton's histrionics. Lastly, Powers Boothe is decent as FBI Agent Wesley Doyle, but his ominous voice and creepy behavior nearly give away his backstory right off the bat. "Frailty" is not a bad movie, just a little overwrought. There's definitely a lack of subtly that kills a lot of the mystery.

***/*****

Last edited by Justin; 11-30-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #8804
Dhamon22
High Flying Bird

Send a message via AIM to Dhamon22

Project Nim - 9/10

This was a great documentary. It held my interest the whole way through and also had me feeling the whole gamut of emotions. I was angry when they took a two week old baby away from his mother and natural habitat, I was sad when he was left alone in a cage at Black Beauty, I was happy watching the video of him 'monkeying' around. I was terrified seeing and hearing him get pissed and attacking his handlers. I was confused hearing how the first woman enjoyed him discovering her body. Not much else to say other than I enjoyed the hell out of it. It says alot that I was tired when I started it and was wide awake the entire time.

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.com

@theredboxreport
Dhamon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #8805
JBond
Beyond

Awesome. Yeah it wasn't what I was expecting at all when I got it. I thought it was another nature documentary. Turned out to be much darker and deeper than that.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #8806
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801

I just got done watching my movie. I'll have my review up tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #8807
Hollywood
Executive Producer

The Interrupters

****/*****

I think the documentary ran just a little long, but other then that, it is a Great film. Going into this film i thought it was gona be like that TV show gangland that i seen a couple times and copy them. I was mistaken thinking that and it wasnt like gangland show at all. I think Flamo's story stood out the most. The organization, CeaseFire changed his life and got him out of the gang life and preventing him from killing someone. It makes me feel good that there are people like these very courageous and compassionate interrupters who literally put their lives on the line to change the violent behaviors of these young kids. The kids need jobs to stay out of violence, but the violence keeps businesses out of their neighborhoods. The kids won't have a chance without better schools, but you won't have operating classrooms while the kids are so troubled no matter how much money you pour into their school systems. The Organization taught them its not worth taking someones life over $5 they owe them from drug money or any other situations like that. It must be really stressful job for the ceasefire organization. Even though they are in good relationship with the gangs, someone from Ceasefire still got shot. Talking to the wrong gang member at the wrong time. That would be stressful not knowing if you gona get shot at or not for trying to help gang members out. Great film and i give it a great rating. But did feel it ran long for a documentary. Little over 2 hours.

Im in for next round

Last edited by Hollywood; 12-03-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #8808
JBond
Beyond

Klown (2010)

What can I say, I hated this movie. It was in the form of my least favorite comedy form, that of the "crazy adventure." Road Trip, The Hangover, etc. The only driving force of this movie was to be as raunchy as possible (and boy was it). The storyline where the main character Frank had to prove he could be a good father was a joke in itself at the end since he would be the worst father ever. This is lost on the wife who accepts him back despite certain unmentionable felonies.

This would be a case of me taking it too seriously if I thought any of the humor was funny, but I laughed softly only a few times. The main character is also stupid and unlikeable. All the characters were unlikeable which makes it difficult to watch.

The movie's ending was also clearly written after viewing "National Lampoon's Vacation" and "The Hangover."

(And yet this movie has a high rating and did well at Festivals, or something. Apparently it was based on a Curb Your Enthusiasm-esque TV show and had a following.)

*/****

Old 12-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #8809
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

Overall, I highly enjoyed this movie. Every plot summary of it that I read before watching it was either very vague or very basic, so seeing the story play out the way it did was part of the fun. I thought the mix of slapstick-y and macabre humor worked very well, and Cary Grant certainly did a teriffic job capturing the utter astonishment his character felt through every new revelation, and he was especially good at giving facial expressions that were hilarious in and of themselves. This movie was also a good example of comedic tension, and how as things rapidly get out of control, the more amusing and interesting it all becomes. At times, the movie DID have the feel of a play (it started out on stage before being adapted), and it got a little thin in parts, but I found the movie constantly entertaining.

***1/2 /****

In for the next round.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #8810
Justin
Executive Loser

Great. Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #8811
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Yeah, it was a real pleasant surprise.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #8812
Justin
Executive Loser

Cary Grant is great in that one. One of my favorite performances by him. Not to mention one of my favorite films.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #8813
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

Yeah, Grant played everything so well in this movie. Before now, the only other performance of his that really stuck in my mind was North By Northwest, so it was very interesting seeing him play straight comedy.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #8814
JBond
Beyond

I appear to have three people signed in for the next round. Anyone else?

Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #8815
Justin
Executive Loser

Yes, I'm in.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #8816
Dracula
Bloodgod

Sorry to keep posting these reviews late, I watch the films on time then I end up procrastonating the reviews for some reason. Uhhhh.

Falling Down (1993)
In the wrong hands, satire can be a terrible thing, and as a rule any film that Joel Schumacher directs is in the wrong hands. Falling Down is a film that tries to address the supposed disenfranchisement of the white working man by bringing us the story of a guy called “D-Fens” (named after his vanity plate) who goes on a psychotic odyssey across Los Angeles and along the way attacks anyone who annoys him. His first two targets are a Korean grocer who commits the crime of not speaking English well and of charging more for a can of soda than D-Fens wishes to pay. He gets beaten by D-Fens and has his store trashed. Then D-Fens decides to stand up to a pair of Latino street thugs who are both reduced to exaggerated stereotypes of what gang members are supposed to be like. It doesn’t end well for them either. Later in the film D-Fens begins targeting less racialized annoyances like the homeless, fast food workers who aren’t interested in catering to his every whim, and “lazy” government contractors who also inconvenience D-Fens. Elsewhere in the film D-Fens also make an enemy of a neo-Nazi skinhead. The message there is that D-Fens isn’t really racist, just “politically incorrect” in his intolerance. Sort of the filmic equivalent of someone saying “I’m not racist, but…” right before they say something racist. In short D-Fens is a lunatic who doesn’t understand the concept of the social contract and for the most part the film revels in his juvenile right-wing crime spree right up until the end when it hypocritically and half-heartedly switches sides and tries to condemn everything that came before. Joel Schumacher may have made Falling Down with the right intentions, but he’s not skillful enough or clever enough to pull it off and as a result he’s made a movie with some very reactionary and largely offensive undertones. On top of that, the movie really just isn’t very fun or interesting and maybe that’s the bigger crime.
* out of Four
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #8817
JBond
Beyond

That's 5 members for next round. One more?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #8818
Hollywood
Executive Producer

If nobody else joins. Ill take 2 partners if helps with the odd number.

Im sorry Dracula you didnt like it. But other then that, your movie you recommended was great. Thanks
Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #8819
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Remember, I'm the odd guy for these...
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #8820
JBond
Beyond

Oh, right, Doomsday. For some reason I never think of him. Like, at all. For anything.

You suck.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #8821
JBond
Beyond

ROUND 127

JBond - Dracula
Doomsday - Justin
Hollywood - moviebuff801
IanTheCool - shained

The due date for Round 127 will be Monday, December 24th, 2012.

Enjoy.

Last edited by JBond; 12-09-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #8822
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Justin:

Das Boot
World's Greatest Dad
OSS 117: Lost in Rio
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #8823
Dhamon22
High Flying Bird

Send a message via AIM to Dhamon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
Klown (2010)

What can I say, I hated this movie. It was in the form of my least favorite comedy form, that of the "crazy adventure." Road Trip, The Hangover, etc. The only driving force of this movie was to be as raunchy as possible (and boy was it). The storyline where the main character Frank had to prove he could be a good father was a joke in itself at the end since he would be the worst father ever. This is lost on the wife who accepts him back despite certain unmentionable felonies.

This would be a case of me taking it too seriously if I thought any of the humor was funny, but I laughed softly only a few times. The main character is also stupid and unlikeable. All the characters were unlikeable which makes it difficult to watch.

The movie's ending was also clearly written after viewing "National Lampoon's Vacation" and "The Hangover."

(And yet this movie has a high rating and did well at Festivals, or something. Apparently it was based on a Curb Your Enthusiasm-esque TV show and had a following.)

*/****
Yikes. Oh well, I thought it was funny. I think The Hangover is very overrated, maybe it was the subtitles that got me. Sorry man.

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.com

@theredboxreport
Dhamon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #8824
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division

HOLLYWOOD

Cape Fear
Dark City: Director's Cut (if you pick this one, make sure it's the version that's 111 minutes, i.e. the Director's Cut. Not the 98-minute Theatrical Cut.)
Hard Eight
Man on the Moon
Old 12-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #8825
Hollywood
Executive Producer

Gona go with Hard Eight if my video store has it. If doesnt then ill pick cape fear cause it think i seen that one on floor at video store.

Your List

Ruby Sparks

The Road

Prometheus

Hard Candy

Up in the Air