The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > MAIN GATE > CS Community

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #76
Deexan
Reflektor
 
Deexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London
Posts: 12,011
Default

The part with The Architect elevated the film. If anything they should have gone more "out there" with the 3rd one; the possibilities were endless.
__________________
Don't hang around once the promise breaks
or you'll be there when the next one's made
Deexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #77
Neverending
Ducks
 
Neverending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deexan View Post
The part with The Architect elevated the film. If anything they should have gone more "out there" with the 3rd one; the possibilities were endless.
In what ways? A computer program rebelling against its creator is already pretty out-there. And it fits the whole man vs. machine theme.
__________________
letterboxd.com/princessmerida
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #78
Deexan
Reflektor
 
Deexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London
Posts: 12,011
Default

I can't remember a lot of the proposed theories but one of the main ones was that, because Neo could control the machines in the "real world", the real world was in fact another matrix.

I don't think I've even watched the 3rd since I saw it at the cinema. I may find it more enjoyable now without so much expectation. I let the internet nerds get the better of me.
__________________
Don't hang around once the promise breaks
or you'll be there when the next one's made
Deexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #79
MovieBuff801
Fringe Division
 
MovieBuff801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Walter's Lab
Posts: 12,185
Send a message via AIM to MovieBuff801
Default

I agree with this list so far. I'm one of the ones who likes the sequels, too.
__________________
AFI Top 100 Movies (1998) Seen: 91 out of 100
MovieBuff801 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #80
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,403
Default

7.All Films in the Series are Different


What's one of the most common complaints of movie sequels? That there just the first film made over again. The Matrix films never went down that route. Each film feels very different from the last. There are similarities throughout mind you, certain ideas and concepts that return from film to film. But the plots all feel unique, each film brings new elements to the table, and there are usually slight tweaks to the recurring elements. If nothing else each film in the series stands out as an individual.

6.New Characters


The sequels introduce a ton of new characters, 90% of which I really liked. Link, Kid, General Locke, Niobe, the Keymaker, the Merovingian, Seraph, the Twins, Councillor Hamann, Commander Locke, and Captain Mifune, just to name a few. I really dug all these characters and enjoyed seeing so many new faces. They brought in new personalities, new abilities, new story potential, and the helped build the world of the series. Let's also not forget Monica Belluci looking sexy as hell.
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson

Last edited by PG Cooper; 12-06-2012 at 05:35 PM.
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #81
Dracula
Bloodgod
 
Dracula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 16,115
Default

The Matrix sequels are MASSIVELY flawed, but your're right that there are some good things in them. When people are disappointed with sequels they often over-react, and that was definitely the case with Reloaded and Revolutions.

One thing I've never understood is why there are so many people who give Reloaded something of a pass but then despise Revolutions. If anything I probably prefer Revolutions, it has more cool visuals and is generally less convoluted.
__________________
Check out my review blog
Dracula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #82
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 71,322
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

Honestly, I haven't seen them since the theaters. I really should check them out again.
__________________
The due date for Round 156 of the CS Film Club is Monday, August 25th, 2014.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #83
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer
 
IanTheCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,391
Default

I just rewatched both of them. And that rewatch convinced me to remove them both from my collection.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #84
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer
 
IanTheCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deexan View Post
I can't remember a lot of the proposed theories but one of the main ones was that, because Neo could control the machines in the "real world", the real world was in fact another matrix.

I don't think I've even watched the 3rd since I saw it at the cinema. I may find it more enjoyable now without so much expectation. I let the internet nerds get the better of me.
If they actually went this route, the series would have been completely salvaged and may have risen higher than the first film alone. It would have explained everything. Instead, Revolutions was a rambling mess.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #85
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 71,322
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

Yeah, as soon as he had powers in the real world, I kind of stopped giving a crap. There's a difference between a Jesus metaphor and actually being Jesus.
__________________
The due date for Round 156 of the CS Film Club is Monday, August 25th, 2014.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #86
Neverending
Ducks
 
Neverending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deexan View Post
because Neo could control the machines in the "real world", the real world was in fact another matrix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheCool View Post
If they actually went this route, the series would have been completely salvaged
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
There's a difference between a Jesus metaphor and actually being Jesus.
But that's the whole point of the trilogy. Neo died to free the people. Thematically, that's fine. The execution was just terrible.
__________________
letterboxd.com/princessmerida
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #87
JBond
Beyond
 
JBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sol
Posts: 71,322
Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default

You can't mix science fiction and fantasy. You can't cross the streams!
__________________
The due date for Round 156 of the CS Film Club is Monday, August 25th, 2014.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #88
Neverending
Ducks
 
Neverending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,656
Default

Sometimes you have to.
__________________
letterboxd.com/princessmerida
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #89
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,403
Default

5.Epic Scope


I love the first Matrix film, but I also like how the sequels decided to up the ante. I know trying to make the sequels "bigger and more epic" isn't exactly new, but I feel The Matrix sequels accomplish being bigger and epic very well. By the time we get to Revolutions, the fate of every thing on earth is riding on the actions of our characters. That gives the film a lot of weight and makes Neo and comapny's struggle that much more dramatic. Scenes like the Battle of Zion and the final fight between Neo and Smith are so much more effective because of how much is at stake.

4.Theme


There's a lot of thematic depth to The Matrix sequels. The obvious Jesus parallels for example is a prominent one. I know people have there issues with that, but I think it works. Neverending also pointed out how the trilogy is a metaphor for birth, life, and death. I never really thought about it before, but it is completely true. The first film revolves around Neo's discovery, the second around his self-doubts, and the third around his acceptance of death. That's actually pretty interesting and cool. Perhaps the most obvious theme is the running element of choice. Throughout the trilogy emphasis is put on the choices we make and their effects and consequences. The film's aren't exactly subtle about it; I remember Reloaded especially going on and on about it. But I like all the stuff about choice, even if it is obvious. The most obvious example is Neo, who's choices have been highlighted and discussed throughout the trilogy, but the choices Smith, Morpheus, and Trinity make are equally important in shaping the series' universe. Bottom line, I like how there are elements going on between the lines of the film and I like how the themes were consistent throughout the trilogy.
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson

Last edited by PG Cooper; 12-08-2012 at 07:36 AM.
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #90
Neverending
Ducks
 
Neverending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
5.Epic Scope
Meh. The simple action scenes work a lot better.
__________________
letterboxd.com/princessmerida
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #91
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
Meh. The simple action scenes work a lot better.
For what it's worth, I don't think any of the action trumps the lobby shootout or train station fight from the first film, but I do enjoy the larger scale.
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #92
Justin
Executive Loser
 
Justin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 13,356
Default

Thematically, The Matrix Trilogy is a lot of fun. Sure, the Jesus metaphor plays an important role, but there are plenty of other religions included, like Buddhism.

Good list so far, keep it up. It's making me want to return to the trilogy.
__________________
Letterboxd
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #93
Neverending
Ducks
 
Neverending's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,656
Default

Yeah, I haven't watched "the trilogy" in almost a decade. The first movie is on TV all the time. And I re-watched Reloaded as recent as 2009. But I haven't watched Revolutions since like 2004 when it premiered on HBO. It's definitely my least favorite one.
__________________
letterboxd.com/princessmerida
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #94
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,403
Default

3.Action


I mentioned earlier that none of the action in the sequels trumps the first films greatest action scenes, and I stand by that. With that said, the action in the sequels is still absolutely badass. Both films are packed with exhilarating set pieces; shoot-outs, chases, fights, explosions, mech suits, everything an action junkie could want. These set-pieces are also varied in tone. Some are fun, some exciting, dramatic, dark, epic, and sometimes a mix of all. Highlights include Neo's first confrontation with the agents, the Burly Brawl, the Battle of Zion, Trinity vs. the Agent, the Freeway Chase, Morpheus fighting the twins, and the final fight between Neo and Smith.

2.The Reloaded Twist


Open until the last few minutes of Reloaded, the audience believed Neo was the chosen one destine to destroy the machines and save the human race. Then the scene with the architect happened and turned the entire series on its head. Turns out the prophecy was created by the machines in order to keep the humans in a predictable cycle of control. This is a really clever twist and one which makes sense for the machines. It also fits into the series perfectly and doesn't contradict anything from the first film. The twist is also genuinely surprising. I don't think anyone could have seen this coming. I also like the little details revealed, such as the first Matrix was a perfect world that couldn't be accepted by human minds because it was too perfect. I feel this twist is under appreciated, possibly because people wanted an equally mind blowing twist to follow it, which never happened. Regardless, I think this is a pretty amazing twist.

1.Smith (Hugo Weaving)


Smith is one of my all time favourite movie characters. I love the guy and can watch him for hours. From his epic speeches, to his ruthless demeanor, to his air of sophistication, Smith is a blast to watch. Hugo Weaving is awesome in the role and I doubt he'll ever top his work as Smith. I also like the place his character goes. He strongly reflects the series' themes of choice and conformity in his refusal to leave the Matrix. Plus him multiplying himself throughout the Matrix is a really fun idea and I also love how he manages to attack Neo in the human world. One last thing about the awesomeness of Smith. I remember getting into a debate with my friend about what was better, Inception or the first Matrix. I ultimately sided with The Matrix, and the deciding factor was Hugo Weaving's Agent Smith. Great as Inception is, it doesn't have a villain that can even come close to the badassery that is Smith.
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #95
Deexan
Reflektor
 
Deexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London
Posts: 12,011
Default

"It's the smell!"
__________________
Don't hang around once the promise breaks
or you'll be there when the next one's made
Deexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #96
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,403
Default

"My God!"

"Smith will suffice."
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #97
MasterChief117
The Batman
 
MasterChief117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 13,600
Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117
Default

Good list. Agree on all of them, but perhaps would have jumbled them up differently. I love Agent Smith, a character so simplistic in characteristics, yet so fascinating because his ambitions and goals make him far more dynamic.
__________________
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #98
Deexan
Reflektor
 
Deexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London
Posts: 12,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
"My God!"

"Smith will suffice."
Haha, I forgot that line. Awesome.
__________________
Don't hang around once the promise breaks
or you'll be there when the next one's made
Deexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #99
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer
 
IanTheCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,391
Default

I like that you have made this list PG, as it is quite relevant to me since I just did a very critical rewatch of the sequels.

First, I disagree with your Action comments. I don't think the action scenes hold up too well, especially the burly man fight (why do they call it that, anyway?). The choreography is actually quite static in that sequence.

I like the Architect scene, but I don't find the twist that great. Why? Because we're not entirely sure that we can believe him, and most importantly because Revolutions did absolutely nothing to follow up on this.

But I do agree that Smith was one of the redeeming factors of the two movies.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #100
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!
 
PG Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,403
Default

[quote=IanTheCool;2839190]I like that you have made this list PG, as it is quite relevant to me since I just did a very critical rewatch of the sequels.

Quote:
First, I disagree with your Action comments. I don't think the action scenes hold up too well, especially the burly man fight (why do they call it that, anyway?). The choreography is actually quite static in that sequence.
I can't really argue this since all I can really offer is "I disagree". As for the name, I'm not really sure.

Quote:
I like the Architect scene, but I don't find the twist that great. Why? Because we're not entirely sure that we can believe him,
Good point.

Quote:
But I do agree that Smith was one of the redeeming factors of the two movies.
Spread the Smith love.
__________________
PG Cooper's Movie Reviews

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

Contact Us - ComingSoon.net - Superhero Hype! - Shock Till You Drop - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ComingSoon.net is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. All Rights Reserved.