The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > FRANCHISES & GENRES > The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings

Old 12-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #1276
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

Let James Cameron do it. I'm still uncomfortable with using The Hobbit as a lab experiment.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #1277
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

It's hard to explain, but I already know I'm not going to like 48 fps.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #1278
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
Yeah, me too. Maybe there is a reason why 24 FPS has been around for such a long time. Maybe 48 FPS enhances fast moving 3D images, yes, but I feel maybe it shouldn't have a blanket effect throughout the film. Is it possible to have both 24 and 48 in the same movie? I don't know the technical feasibility of that but, if we can get the best of both worlds, great. I feel that, in order to enjoy 48 FPS, you almost have to buy into the whole 3D thing. For those of us who's never liked 3D in the first place, we are always gonna prefer 24 FPS. And I hate it when people say that, just because you dislike 48 FPS and/or 3D, you are somehow "too nostalgic" and are unwilling to embrace the future of filmmaking. I don't think that's the case at all.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #1279
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

Quote:
LOTR movies have acting?
The best actors in the Clips I saw seemed to be The Actor Playing Balin and of course Ian McKellan.
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #1280
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
seems like people are complaining about two things 1) Length and 2) 48FPS.
And neither is surprising since people have been complaining about both since day one.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #1281
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

As opposed to people who have problems with something that magically go away come movie time...

Or I suppose they're self-fulfiling prophecies 100% of the time?

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #1282
Neverending
Ducks

Exclamation

http://www.egotastic.com/2012/12/hob...s-hobbitvomit/

Quote:
Hobbit Vomit Is Our New Favorite Trending Topic Thanks to ‘The Hobbit’ Causing Motion Sickness #Hobbitvomit

There are a lot of reasons to be excited for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. It's a movie made for anyone who likes adventure. Who likes fantasy. Who likes intense motion sickness. Yep, if you're pregnant, have a heart condition or have difficulty riding Batman: The Ride at Six Flags, chances are this movie is not for you. Early screenings of Peter Jackson's first installment of his new Middle Earth trilogy are apparently causing nausea and headaches to many of the viewers who find the 3D frame rate of 48 frames per second (twice the normal rate) the film was shot in difficult to watch.

The doubled frame rate is supposed to add more realism to the footage, much in the same way of the battle scenes in Saving Private Ryan, but apparently as one viewer put it, 'you have to hold your stomach down and let your eyes pop at first to adjust. This is not for wimps.' And another fan said the experience of the watching the movie was like 'having motion sickness similar to being on a rollercoaster.' And that's why we're pushing #Hobbitvomit on Twitter today. Because the only thing worse than a hairy-footed dwarf, is one that makes you throw up.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #1283
Road Warrior
Executive Producer

I'm watching the special features on Dark Knight Rises and they used 48fps during some of the effects shots. It's funny when you tell no one, people don't notice. Maybe that's what Peter Jackson should have done.
Road Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #1284
Deexan
Reflektor

I don't get why PJ or Cameron haven't shown an interest in shooting their Hobbit/Avatar movies with IMAX cameras. TDK and TDKR are far and away the best looking movies on that format.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #1285
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

If only everybody thinks like Nolan. IMAX should be the standard, not 3D.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #1286
Deexan
Reflektor

Amen.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #1287
Road Warrior
Executive Producer

On "Dark Knight Rises" there was certain shots during the action sequences that couldn't be done with IMAX, so they used an IMAX-lite camera called Vista Vision and then used 48fps to sync the two formats as well as add more energy/speed to the action. And no one in the audience even noticed. I think Peter Jackson reveals way too much beforehand with his video diaries and people make judgments too quickly and bring that prejudice into the cinema. Saying you're gonna hate 48fps before seeing a single footage means you already made up your mind.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #1288
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

I think the advent of HDTV has something to do with the hate towards 48 FPS. Just got myself a HDTV and everything looks weird as hell.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #1289
Road Warrior
Executive Producer

HDTV's are tricky. You have to buy one that suits your needs. The one I have has different modes to compliment different programming. If I'm watching a movie, it looks like a movie with less lighting and darker colors and whatnot. If I'm watching sports it's bright and colorful and has steady movement. Those HDTV's with general features where everything looks the same no matter what are the problematic ones. And the ones people tend to buy since they're cheaper.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #1290
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Kind of like how you know you wouldn't like getting stuck in prison with a cellmate named Bubba who wants to dress you in pink all the time? Yeah - I hear you.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #1291
Neverending
Ducks

Exclamation

Ouch:

Quote:
It’s as if The Wizard of Oz had taken nearly an hour just to get out of Kansas.
Quote:
The phoniness of the sets and costumes becomes obvious, while well-lit areas bleed into their surroundings, like watching a high-end home movie.
Quote:
It felt like watching daytime soaps in HD, terrible BBC broadcasts, or Faerie Tale Theater circa 1985, only in amazingly sharp clarity and with hobbits.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #1292
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

I'm seeing it in IMAX 3D thankfully it's not in 48fps

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #1293
Neverending
Ducks

You should watch it in 48fps. As a film critic, it is your job to report on it.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #1294
Justin
Executive Loser

On my initial viewing I won't be seeing it in 48fps. It'll just be a distraction.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #1295
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

I've been doing a lot of thinking based on the reviews, and here are some thoughts. First, we can group the main problems identified into two. One, the faster frame rate. Two, the length. Let's break it down a little more.

1) 48 FPS
I think this is an easy problem to avoid. If you think you will not like the movie in 48 FPS, it is probably easier to avoid it. In fact, it is probably easier to catch it in every other format than 48 FPS. I think, if you are watching the movie for the first time, you don't want to be distracted with whether or not you like the faster frame rate. You want to focus on the plot, the actors, the special effects, etc. Watch the movie in 48 FPS on the second or third viewing, then you can really, objectively, see if you do or do not like it.

2) The Length
Most of the negative reviews point out the length of the film, particularly the first 40 minutes, to be bloated. Some of the materials, people said, should've been left to the extended edition, or omitted completely. I haven't watched the movie, so I cannot be the judge of that. However, do you guys remember The Two Towers? Having watched the trilogy closed to a hundred times over the last ten years (no joke), I can objectively say that TTT has the slowest, most tedious build-up out of all three movies. Between Treebeard, Aragorn and Arwen's story line and Sam, Frodo and Gollum walking, TTT really took some time to kick into high gear. I think the reason why less people had problems with that is because we were already invested in the LOTR universe. By the time TTT came around, FOTR has already had such a big impact that the slowness didn't quite bother people. Now that the universe has taken a ten-year long break, people are probably eager to jump right back into it. The problem is that PJ has a thing with slow beginnings, and perhaps people haven't been as forgiving with his pacing as they were back when TTT was released. I honestly think the slow start will be a problem if you haven't read the books, if you aren't already a fan of LOTR, and probably viewers with really short attention span.

Also, I have read a few reviews that the tone is completely different. Well, if you've read the book, you know that it is radically different from LOTR as well. In fact, when LOTR was published, initial reviews bashed the trilogy, saying that the tone was too serious and too different from The Hobbit – same thing. I think people need to realize that the source material is meant for children, and a bit of campiness should be expected.

It's a little ridiculous of me to be defending the movie prior to watching it myself (one more week), but I just feel like I need to put my thoughts out there. I strongly feel that, while many complaints are justifiable, they can also be easily mitigated or understood.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #1296
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
On my initial viewing I won't be seeing it in 48fps. It'll just be a distraction.
The reviewers on TheOneRing.net, the centre of online LOTR geekdom, actually recommended the same thing. Which goes to show how big a distraction 48 FPS can be if you are not ready for it. Reading their review also allowed me to make my choice more clearly. I actually picked up a pair of 2D tickets for opening night instead of a IMAX 3D in HFR.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #1297
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

For those who haven't yet seen what the 48 fps will look like - here's a link to the trailer in 48 fps:

http://www.48fpsmovies.com/The_Hobbi...ey_Trailer.mp4
Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #1298
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

not sure you can lump everyone into two categories... sounds like you are trying to explain away the bad reviews, which is a typical fanboy thing to do, specifically when you haven't even seen the movie. i mean you essentially called them philistines that have ADD, can't handle a 3 hour movie, i mean come on, listen to yourself.

he split it into three movies... length wouldn't be a problem i'm sure, if SOMETHING happened in this first episode.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #1299
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

From what I am hearing the 48 fps were only going to be released to limited screens anyways and most people would get regular 2D and 3D. So we may not even notice it like people who went to premiere screenings.
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #1300
Justin
Executive Loser

Hah--it does remind me of a home movie. Why did he do this, again?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote