The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Television

Old 11-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #176
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

Just finished the episode where the restaurant blows up at the end... I expected a shooting, that was a surprise.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #177
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

Yeah I'm thinking O'Bannon will join sides with Gyp and Masseria. So was this Maranzano guy the biggest gangster in the US at the time he went to war with Masseria? And what made the war the most famous?
Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #178
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Prince View Post
So was this Maranzano guy the biggest gangster in the US at the time he went to war with Masseria? And what made the war the most famous?
It's a long story and I'm going off of memory here (I'm sure bbf2 can fill in what I miss), but the Maranzano vs. Masseria fight is known as the Castellammarese War, which was big/famous not just because of how many people were involved but because of the aftermath. Masseria controlled the mob in the United States and the Sicilians across the ocean didn't like it, so they sent an emissary, Maranzano, and from there things got really, really bloody. The other reason why this particular war was so important (the aftermath) is that Maranzano ends up winning but ends up being murdered right after by Luciano & the younger members of the mob, who end up controlling things for the next thirty years or so. Because of how violent the war was, they ended up restructuring the whole mob too and from there you get the concept of "The Five Families" which cut down on the likelihood that one Boss had too much power.

This will explain everything.

Last edited by Brock Landers; 11-27-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Brock Landers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #179
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

You know, I read some review of the last episode where the reviewer said there was a slim chance BE was going to be able to top the last couple of episodes. That person is eating crow now. This, fellow fans, was a damn good episode, easily my favourite of the season. Chalky, well, you can never go wrong with him, and seeing Nucky taking care of business at the beginning was awesome. Can't wait to see Richard hopefully join up with them and start capping fools left and right.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #180
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
It's a long story and I'm going off of memory here (I'm sure bbf2 can fill in what I miss), but the Maranzano vs. Masseria fight is known as the Castellammarese War, which was big/famous not just because of how many people were involved but because of the aftermath. Masseria controlled the mob in the United States and the Sicilians across the ocean didn't like it, so they sent an emissary, Maranzano, and from there things got really, really bloody. The other reason why this particular war was so important (the aftermath) is that Maranzano ends up winning but ends up being murdered right after by Luciano & the younger members of the mob, who end up controlling things for the next thirty years or so. Because of how violent the war was, they ended up restructuring the whole mob too and from there you get the concept of "The Five Families" which cut down on the likelihood that one Boss had too much power.

Was that because guys like Arnold Rothstein had too much power?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #181
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Was that because guys like Arnold Rothstein had too much power?
Not so much Rothstein as the old-school Sicilian mafiosos like Masseria and Maranzano. Luciano & his associates detested the idea of a "Boss of Bosses" and they felt a new generation could make more money by abandoning this concept. One of the big reasons for this upcoming generational shift in the mob -- and Boardwalk Empire actually makes a point of illustrating it, which I'm happy about -- is that Luciano, unlike Masseria & his merry band of douchebags, also believed that by working with non-Italians, for example Meyer Lanksky and Mr. Rothstein, they could make way more money. Guys like Masseria -- as the show has showed us -- were prejudiced. And Luciano ended up being right.

Last edited by Brock Landers; 11-28-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #182
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

Quote:
Not so much Rothstein as the old-school Sicilian mafiosos like Masseria and Maranzano. Luciano & his associates detested the idea of a "Boss of Bosses" and they felt a new generation could make more money by abandoning this concept. One of the big reasons for this upcoming generational shift in the mob -- and Boardwalk Empire actually makes a point of illustrating it, which I'm happy about -- is that Luciano, unlike Masseria & his merry band of douchebags, also believed that by working with non-Italians, for example Meyer Lanksky and Mr. Rothstein, they could make way more money. Guys like Masseria -- as the show has showed us -- were prejudiced. And Luciano ended up being right.
So right now Masseria is the boss of all bosses?
Old 11-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #183
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
So right now Masseria is the boss of all bosses?
Give it a few years, though I doubt the show is going to get that technical. Remember: Masseria eventually loses the war to Maranzano, who in-turn gets betrayed by Luciano. You would need a whole other show just to deal with all the New York action, not to mention that we'll be coming up on Capone's rise-to-power/becoming the Al Capone we know and love from history. It's just too much show.

Last edited by Brock Landers; 11-28-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #184
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

Quote:
Give it a few years, though I doubt the show is going to get that technical. Remember: Masseria eventually loses the war to Maranzano, who in-turn gets betrayed by Luciano. You would need a whole other show just to deal with all the New York action, not to mention that we'll be coming up on Capone's rise-to-power/becoming the Al Capone we know and love from history. It's just too much show.
They might cut out the Masseria/Maranzo war and show just a little of Capones rise in the late 20s. Afterall this show is mostly about Nucky and his arc, plus they need more shine on guys like Chalky, Van Alden, Rothstein, Luciano, Lansky and Siegal. Alot of stuff that happened might get cut out and only have some stuff sprinkled on the show.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #185
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

I was thinking if they kill Rosetti off in the finale, next season can take place 5 years from now on the show. So next season could take place in 1928 with season 5 in 1929. You can have 2 more seasons after that taking place in the early 30s like 1930-33.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #186
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

Well tonight is the seaon finale. Any predictions?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #187
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

This episode was all kinds of epic!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #188
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

Yea that was a great finale to a great season.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #189
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

What I find funny is that everyone I know is either talking about Dexter or The Walking Dead this season and nobody's mentioned Boardwalk Empire. It's funny to me because they all watch Boardwalk Empire too, yet nobody's discussed it. The Walking Dead has had it's best season yet, but that's still nowhere close to B.E., and Dexter's been all over the place this season and mostly forgettable at best. Homeland has been good, but not the best, and the only show I can say has had a perfect run this season is this one.

Anyway, I finally got caught up this afternoon and am about to watch the finale.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #190
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
This episode was all kinds of epic!!!!!!!
It was so epic, it was beautiful. Here's to Richard "Travis Bickle" Harrow. And some great Rothstein dialogue:

"Am I bothering you, Mr. Rothstein?"
"Yes. Yes you are."

Last edited by Brock Landers; 12-03-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:58 AM   #191
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

I have been discussing BE, thank you very much.

This has been the standout show of the season, for me. I was not expecting Nucky to pull out a surprise like that by gunning down all the men he had called off. Brilliant. Now he has his warehouse, along with the enemies in his town dead. I will be interested to see how everyone scrambles, but, you know Masseria is gonna be pissed he got so gypped (pun intended), as well as Rothstein.

Great finale. This show hit a lull mid-season, but, it was only two episodes long and worth the great burst to a great conclusion.

And, yeah, Richard was every bit a bad ass as was to be expected.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #192
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
And, yeah, Richard was every bit a bad ass as was to be expected.
Not only was he a badass, his appearance set up probably my favorite line of dialogue from this season:

"And that guy with the mask: what the **** was that about?"

I really hope someone who has never watched the show stumbled across it the moment Harrow arrived at Gillian's club. They had to have had the same question running through their head the entire scene (or, hopefully: "WHAT SHOW IS THIS AND WHY HAVE I NOT SEEN IT?!").

Old 12-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #193
Nick1988
Executive Producer

ending was great, and yeah the Harrow scene was ****ing incredible.

Honestly i feel this season started out great, than kind of hit a rut right after Bugsy Siegel did the big hit on Rosetti, but thelast 3 episodes where great, so in the end i consider this a really good season.

I loved the adition of Gyp Rosetti, i thought he was an incredible character and may have seemed like a typical italian mafia gangster, the show showed he was quit the wierdo which i thought was great.

Still not sure what they should do with Margaret, because i feel like the character has become annoying and really drags the story down.
Nick1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #194
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

The beginning of the episode was epic. With the gangsters being killed off and all. I wonder who will be the main villian next season.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #195
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
The beginning of the episode was epic. With the gangsters being killed off and all. I wonder who will be the main villian next season.
My guess: Rothstein might not be too happy with Nucky next season, seeing as how Nucky used Andrew Mellon to tip-off Randolph about the Overholt Brewery. Ruthless.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #196
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

The war between Nucky & Rosetti was awesome and very action-packed. I especially loved how the Mayor was constantly trying and failing to keep control over the matter with the Press; "Nucky Thompson doesn't run this City, I DO!!!" **Followed by uncontrollable laughter** Priceless... I loved the way Nucky played Rothstein to help him get Masseria's men to leave town so he could kill Rosetti, only to have Al and Chalky kill all of them on the highway anyway, lol. That scene was pretty badass. And yes, I think Rothstein will definitely be a major villain for Nucky next season, especially with the Feds going after him.

Memorable moments would definitely include Rothstein's scenes in New York City, Nucky's moments with his brother, realizing that they should have backed down when they had it good, Eli finally getting his status as Nucky's right hand (he earned it this season), the short-but-sweet moments between Al Capone and Chalky, Richard's breakout moment of the show's entire history and finally, Nucky on the Boardwalk taking his flower out and dropping it on the ground, which sort of symbolized that he was giving up his gangster status he had all throughout Season 3.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #197
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

^ I thought Nucky dropping the flower on the ground was his way of giving up his political status and officially becoming a full time gangster? And if they have Rothstein become the main villian next season they would have to fast foward 5 years into the future to 1928, cause thats the year AR gets killed. Do anybody even think they can do another time jump and it would make sense with the ending to the season finale?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #198
Fresh Prince
Executive Producer

Quote:
My guess: Rothstein might not be too happy with Nucky next season, seeing as how Nucky used Andrew Mellon to tip-off Randolph about the Overholt Brewery. Ruthless.
Is Mellon the guy who told the lawyer women he wanted Nucky and AR locked up? And is the lawyer chick Randolph?

Last edited by Fresh Prince; 12-05-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #199
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Is Mellon the guy who told the lawyer women he wanted Nucky and AR locked up? And is the lawyer chick Randolph?
Yep, that's Andrew Mellon, but he didn't actually turn Nucky in: Nucky was the one who "alerted" Mellon to what AR was doing. Remember when Mellon leaned back in the finale and had the name "Arnold Rothstein" whispered in to his ear? It's Nucky's revenge for AR originally not having his back during Masseria, which is pretty goddamn ruthless. And yes, the lawyer chick is Randolph.

Last edited by Brock Landers; 12-06-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #200
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Quote:
^ I thought Nucky dropping the flower on the ground was his way of giving up his political status and officially becoming a full time gangster? And if they have Rothstein become the main villian next season they would have to fast foward 5 years into the future to 1928, cause thats the year AR gets killed. Do anybody even think they can do another time jump and it would make sense with the ending to the season finale?
Nucky wore the flower this whole season as a symbol to his status as a full-time gangster, and when he dropped it on the ground at the end, it was to symbolize his return to form, so-to-speak. At least, that's what I got from it. Like, he finally had enough, and was giving up his status as a gangster after everything that happened. That's why he went to apologize to Margaret and also why he had that speech with his brother about going too far and not stopping when he should have stopped.