The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Television

Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #476
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

Ok I want to ask this of you who don't read the comics - are you enjoying the show? Do you like how these episodes are going?

Again, maybe I'm spoiled by the comics, But, this was another episode I really disliked. The governor just isn't the brutal villain he was in the comics. He made it on a few "best villains of all time" lists, but, in tv land, he pales greatly by comparison to other show's villains.

I also don't like that, to weakly build some suspense or a story, they choose to keep Michonne mum about everything that has happened and Andrea. She speaks in short sentences and tells them hardly anything. It just seems like lazy writing.

Again, the Governor doesn't seem the least bit threatening or sinister, just kind of creepy. I'm really trying to enjoy this show, but, every week seems like a missed opportunity
Old 11-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #477
carnage4u
The Bad Man

I have 2 friends I watch this show with weekly, and I talk to 2 coworkers about it every monday.

They feel this is the strongest series of the show By far, and they are very excited to watch it every week. They all felt the show really picked up after the 2nd half of last season.

Other than that I have a variety of facebook friends that usually post positive things about it. The only people I have seen unhappy at all, have been people on this forum that are serious fans of the comic (and not even all of them agree), but its the only place I come across any negative comments about this current season.

/on a sidenote I dont think Michonne knows the group really knows andrea, so I can understand why she didnt say anything about her. She did overher stuff about the brothers though, and there was not really any reason for her not to bring up something about that.. even like a question like (any of you have a crazy racist brother with only 1 hand?)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -- Terry Pratchett
carnage4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #478
Mikey-Bizzle
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnage4u View Post
I have 2 friends I watch this show with weekly, and I talk to 2 coworkers about it every monday.

They feel this is the strongest series of the show By far, and they are very excited to watch it every week. They all felt the show really picked up after the 2nd half of last season.

Other than that I have a variety of facebook friends that usually post positive things about it. The only people I have seen unhappy at all, have been people on this forum that are serious fans of the comic (and not even all of them agree), but its the only place I come across any negative comments about this current season.

/on a sidenote I dont think Michonne knows the group really knows andrea, so I can understand why she didnt say anything about her. She did overher stuff about the brothers though, and there was not really any reason for her not to bring up something about that.. even like a question like (any of you have a crazy racist brother with only 1 hand?)
Yeh the only place I really see hate is on this forum I've seen a bit here and there but not much. I love it and I know that lots of my family/friends are loving it too. I've been on other forums and seen positive things about it and people on Facebook are always bigging it up. I only know one guy who reads the comics he like most people didn't rate season 2 but he is loving this season.

I don't see what's not to like about it tbh. Don't watch it if you don't like it, it's that simple!
Mikey-Bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #479
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

Well look through the thread and I hated the second season with a passion and thought first was over rated as all hell, especially that finale, but I will be honest I am enjoying the third season a lot, with minimal complaints.

Only read first maybe ten issues of the comic.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #480
Justin
Executive Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Ok I want to ask this of you who don't read the comics - are you enjoying the show? Do you like how these episodes are going?
In the same way that I enjoy a bad movie.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #481
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

I also feel like the only negativity I hear is on this forum. And I am included in that negativity. I watched the first season and saw no reason to go on to the second. But everyone irl I talk to about the show look at me like I'm crazy.
IanTheCool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #482
Daniel
Flawed Design

I don't want to really contribute much more negativity in the way of comparing this to the comics. I just keep waiting for them to get something right, just that moment when it's like "YES!" Just that moment of satisfaction from what was a great story written in the comics as opposed to the sloppiness of what's on the show.

You guys, I really want this show to be good. I really want to see an awesome depiction of the comics. I am reasonable and understand things have to be omitted, but, they are almost re-writing the whole damn thing. I'm talking entire timelines and characters drastically changed, omitted, or added. This is a very loose adaptation of the comics and what was heralded as a fantastic story. If it works, why change it?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #483
Ayemef
Executive Producer

Quote:
I don't want to really contribute much more negativity in the way of comparing this to the comics. I just keep waiting for them to get something right, just that moment when it's like "YES!" Just that moment of satisfaction from what was a great story written in the comics as opposed to the sloppiness of what's on the show.

You guys, I really want this show to be good. I really want to see an awesome depiction of the comics. I am reasonable and understand things have to be omitted, but, they are almost re-writing the whole damn thing. I'm talking entire timelines and characters drastically changed, omitted, or added. This is a very loose adaptation of the comics and what was heralded as a fantastic story. If it works, why change it?
see, that's your problem right there

you're looking for a depcition of the comics, and that's where most people that read the comics and don't care for the show go wrong (hell, that's where majority of comic book nerds go wrong when comparing a tv show or movie to the source material), because guess what? This ISN'T the comics

completely ignore the comics as a whole, they don't exist, this is a show made for tv and it's the only medium in which it exist's

as a stand-alone, it's a pretty damn "near solid" show with few and minor flaws and a helluva a lot better than 99% of the rest of the crap on tv that's played at nausiam.

and with that mindstate, they've gotten plenty right so far

Official Website for Tha Next Chapter
where you can purchase albums, singles, merchandise
and download all of our current FREE Mixtapes ! ! !

Also, Don't Forget to BOOKMARK US!

Last edited by Ayemef; 11-30-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Ayemef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #484
carnage4u
The Bad Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayemef View Post

you're looking for a depcition of the comics, and that's where most people that read the comics and don't care for the show go wrong (hell, that's where majority of comic book nerds go wrong when comparing a tv show or movie to the source material), because guess what? This ISN'T the comics

completely ignore the comics as a whole, they don't exist, this is a show made for tv and it's the only medium in which it exist's

as a stand-alone, it's a pretty damn "near solid" show with few and minor flaws and a helluva a lot better than 99% of the rest of the crap on tv that's played at nausiam.

and with that mindstate, they've gotten plenty right so far

Well said.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -- Terry Pratchett
carnage4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #485
Justin
Executive Loser

Quote:
Impossible--the comics exist. If they wanted to ignore the comics, then why not create a new show entirely? I don't believe anyone is saying it has to be exact. Most of the criticisms have come from the show not exceeding the comics' quality. This isn't an interpretation of the comics. Sacrificing elements of a story is fine. But consider what happens when you do: it has a snowball effect.

Last edited by Justin; 11-30-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #486
Jamesdawn
Banned Status

Default The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 8 Preview

I am big fan of The Walking Dead tv show and i have watched all the episodes (26 Episodes) of this show and enjoyed it. Now i am waiting for Episode 8 of Season 3. Following i have shared the trailer of upcoming trailer of season 3.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Jamesdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #487
Ayemef
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Impossible--the comics exist. If they wanted to ignore the comics, then why not create a new show entirely? I don't believe anyone is saying it has to be exact. Most of the criticisms have come from the show not exceeding the comics' quality. This isn't an interpretation of the comics. Sacrificing elements of a story is fine. But consider what happens when you do: it has a snowball effect.
I'm not saying the show runners should ignore the comics

I'm saying the audience should ignore the comics

and no, the comics don't exist

I have never heard of this "walking dead" comic you speak of, you must be imagining things champ

(catch my drift?)

Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #488
Justin
Executive Loser

Quote:
I'm not saying the show runners should ignore the comics

I'm saying the audience should ignore the comics

and no, the comics don't exist

I have never heard of this "walking dead" comic you speak of, you must be imagining things champ

(catch my drift?)
That makes zero sense. You can look at how popular the comics have gotten since the show aired. You're saying the audience should ignore the comics but it's not going to happen. In fact, even more people are reading them now. Every time I walk into Barnes & Noble, there's an entire area dedicated to the comics, the show, and the games.

I get it, you like the show. I haven't read the comics, but judging by how well the comics were received and by fan's reactions, it's clear that the show isn't living up to the reputation of the comics. With that said, I still enjoy the show. It's for different reasons, but I still have fun while watching it.

"Champ".
Old 12-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #489
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

ayemef... you make absolutely no sense.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #490
Seakazoo
formerly KUacuraChick

Send a message via AIM to Seakazoo

I have been enjoying the season. I like this show and I'm not apologizing for it. People can piss and moan about bad writing and blah blah blah but I will continue to watch. I haven't read the comics and probably won't until after the show runs its course.

https://twitter.com/seakazoo My Twitter
https://twitter.com/piratejim2 My cat's Twitter
Seakazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #491
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

Well zero sense maybe not but look atgame of thrones, they differ from the books but only for telling a more cohesive story, they keep everyones personalities and motivations pretty much the same though. If the critics are to be believed they made large changes to peoples personalities which doesn't make all that much sense.

That said, I will repeat I like this season.

Last edited by FranklinTard; 12-01-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #492
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Quote:

Again, maybe I'm spoiled by the comics, But, this was another episode I really disliked. The governor just isn't the brutal villain he was in the comics. He made it on a few "best villains of all time" lists, but, in tv land, he pales greatly by comparison to other show's villains.

I also don't like that, to weakly build some suspense or a story, they choose to keep Michonne mum about everything that has happened and Andrea. She speaks in short sentences and tells them hardly anything. It just seems like lazy writing.

Again, the Governor doesn't seem the least bit threatening or sinister, just kind of creepy. I'm really trying to enjoy this show, but, every week seems like a missed opportunity
I'm watching the show and I haven't read the comics. I'm really enjoying the show and I think the past couple episodes from this season have been better than a couple of missteps (crazy Rick and all that stuff). But my buddy I watch the show with has read the comics and he says that although he enjoys it, the comics are light years beyond the show. He has the same issues with the Governor, he's just not that menacing in the show. If you were to have 0 knowledge of the comics, you still wouldn't know if the Governor is a 'bad' guy or not. Sure he killed some people but he has good intentions. So is he really that bad of a guy? Rick has killed some people too after all, even in cold blood. So I can understand the issues the comics fans have.

However, I also ascribe to the notion of not mixing the source material and what's on screen. As I said in my Harry Potter thread I separate the two, and just because one does something doesn't validate or invalidate something in the other. I think you can still enjoy something if it strays from the source so long as it's done well. I haven't even read the comics to know that the Governor could use a lot of work if he's supposed to be as bad as I hear, but we'll wait and see how it turns out, it's still too early to tell.
Doomsday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #493
Ayemef
Executive Producer

what I'm saying is, it's best to watch the show with the mindstate that the comics don't exist, forget'em

otherwise, all you're going to do is irritate and upset yourself whenever the show doesn't live up to them

makes all the sense in the world

Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #494
Justin
Executive Loser

Like I said....that won't happen. Ever. Name one TV show, movie, or any other form of media that's been completely and utterly separated from its source material. It doesn't happen because it's impossible to forget the material that made it possible to begin with.

Certainly it's possible for those who have no clue there was a source, then again they will discover it eventually. It's just a matter of time.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #495
Daniel
Flawed Design

Quote:

Right, I get that, and I'd love an awesome adaptation of the comics, but, I also said I know they can't possibly tell the whole story the comics tell, not without 24 episode long seasons at least.

My beef is that the story in the comics is amazing, and, I find the story in the show, by comparison, to be downright awful. Doomsday said some really good things about separating the two, and, I try my best to do that, but, it's really hard. Honestly, I could get over it personally, but, I really think it's people like y'all who haven't read the comics who are the real ones getting robbed. This is a series I am so damn proud of and wanted to put my stamp of approval on, wanting its success. People are starting to complain that the comic writing isn't as good as it used to be, but, I am still engrossed and following month-to-month. I want y'all to see how awesome the taking of the prison is, how twisted it is when one of the inmates turns out to be a serial killer and murders Hershcel's twins, or how brutal it is when Michonne finds love and companionship in Rick's group, only to go to Woodsbury and have the Governor violate her and, later, kill her lover (don't worry, that bad ass character was completely written out of the show, so no spoilers) with Michonne's sword in front of Rick's group. Stuff like that made the comics downright emotional, and, the show never hits the same emotional chords the books have on a repeated basis. Hell, they recently killed a beloved and central character, and I found myself upset in a way I didn't think a comic would ever make me feel. It was brutal, but, it was the way of life in a post-apocalyptic world where zombies exist, and crazed men are responsible for re-drawing the social/survival lines.

That all said, I am still able to watch the show as a standalone entity and make an opinion. Things like having Michonne keep details mum so that, next episode, Rick and Co. can be all surprised is lazy writing, plain and simple. When Walt and Jesse don't communicate on BB and create frustrating scenarios, it's because of their own character flaws. With this show, there are a lot of awkward decisions made in order to support a lazy plotline or decision in the way of the story.

If they are going to loosely adapt the comics, though, it would seem important to get the major stuff right. As it stands, the Governor isn't even half the villain in the show that he was in the comics. Doomsday, thankfully, hasn't read the comics and supports that the show doesn't really have him looking all that bad. I encourage y'all to read the comics at some point, seriously, he is ruthless, and there is a reason comic fans were chomping at the bit when they found out he was going to be here come season 3. I've been completely unimpressed thus far, and Andrea has also been heavily mistreated in the show as well. It's disappointing, and it's hard not to set those feelings aside, so, I did really want to know if my whole viewing experience is tainted due to reading the source material. You guys should be happy and count yourselves lucky you don't know any better. After the series, I would recommend reading the comics. Might be like when I saw Jurassic Park in theatres, then read the book and said "man, the movie could have been so much better!"

You can acquire the comics quite easily if you know where to plunder treasure in the high seas, you scurvy bastards. Arrrrr.

Last edited by Daniel; 12-02-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #496
Justin
Executive Loser

So subtle, Daniel.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #497
Ayemef
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Like I said....that won't happen. Ever. Name one TV show, movie, or any other form of media that's been completely and utterly separated from its source material. It doesn't happen because it's impossible to forget the material that made it possible to begin with.

Certainly it's possible for those who have no clue there was a source, then again they will discover it eventually. It's just a matter of time.
and again, you're completley misunderstanding what I'm trying to say

I'm going to say it once more

regardless if you've read the comics or not, just pretend they don't exist (view the show as if they never happened)

you can pretend, can't you? or are you too above it?

it's all in your state of mind

Old 12-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #498
Justin
Executive Loser

I'm too above it. Clearly.

How exactly am I misunderstanding you? You can't forget that the source material exists. I've said it twice now. I believe this is the third time.

Should I say it a fourth time? THE AUDIENCE CAN'T FORGET THE SOURCE MATERIAL EXISTS. You're wanting something to happen that will never happen. Just glance back through the thread.

Last edited by Justin; 12-02-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #499
Ayemef
Executive Producer

Sure you can, just block it out

clearly your minds not strong enough to do so

it's not an impossible concept, but you're making it out to be one

but whatever, continue watching as you are and carry on

no sweat off my nut sac

Old 12-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #500
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

No sweat off your nut sac, huh? If that were true, you wouldn't be trying so damn hard to get him to agree with you.

If anything, you're coming off ignorant and if it keeps going on, a little pathetic. Just watch the show how you want.

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote