Short Round is borderline racist.
Borderline?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #277
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief117 View Post
I think I appreciate it the more views I put into it. Ultimately, I cannot overlook the fact that Raiders and Crusade are miles better.
This is true.

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #278
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief117 View Post
I cannot overlook the fact that Raiders and Crusade are miles better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Cooper View Post
This is true.
I agree that Raiders and Crusade are better movies, but if we're talking great Indy moments, Temple of Doom takes the cake. The opening scene with Indy at Club Obi Wan is awesome. I actually like it more than the boulder sequence in Raiders. Indy escaping the night club and the car chase that follows is another great scene. Say what you want about Short Round and Kate Capshaw but they truly shine in that moment. The monkey brain, the bedroom fight, the bugs, the evil Indian ritual, mind-control Indy, the slave children, the mining cart chase, and the climax are all great scenes as well. Temple of Doom may not work as a whole, but it is filled with great individual pieces.
12:55 AM

^ 10 years. LOL.
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #279
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
I agree that Raiders and Crusade are better movies, but if we're talking great Indy moments, Temple of Doom takes the cake. The opening scene with Indy at Club Obi Wan is awesome. I actually like it more than the boulder sequence in Raiders. Indy escaping the night club and the car chase that follows is another great scene. Say what you want about Short Round and Kate Capshaw but they truly shine in that moment. The monkey brain, the bedroom fight, the bugs, the evil Indian ritual, mind-control Indy, the slave children, the mining cart chase, and the climax are all great scenes as well. Temple of Doom may not work as a whole, but it is filled with great individual pieces.
I watched it last night since it was on SciFi, ultimately, it has the great Indiana Jones feel to it. Despite being extremely...odd.

I still have NO idea what my next list is going to be.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #280
Henri Ducard
Executive Producer

Harrison Ford is at his best in Temple of Doom.
Henri Ducard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #281
MasterChief117
The Batman

Next list. Again, feel free to comment and pick on me as freely as you want.

My Top 10 Favorite Scenes/Moments of All-Time

I have watched a lot of movies in my short lifetime (Granted, not as many as some of you guys) and have enjoyed plenty a movie (while hated probably double the amount). I finally decided it was time to compile a list of my favorite scenes/moments from all the movies I have seen in my lifetime. The requirements for this list really stretches from what made me laugh, cry, entertained me, what was most memorable or if it had an impact in my life. I bet most of the choices on this list will not be loved, maybe even liked by most but I do stress that this is MY list. I am in no way saying this is the 'best list' of all time. So, enjoy and comment.

10. 'First Contact'

Film: Star Trek: First Contact
Why?: I know I'm going to get a lot of **** for this choice. Out of all the movies in my entire lifetime I have seen, I pick this one? Weird, right? The scene in which Cochran finally meets the Vulcans and discovers that humanity is truly not alone in this universe is simply beautiful. The movie is a clash between TNG lore as well as Moby Dick but everything leads up to this moment. First Contact did an exceptional job of not only balancing Picard's emotional past with the Borg but also continuously keep tension high with the risk of failing to have First Contact always lurking. Because of First Contact, the human race expands, Starfleet forms and then the Federation is created with the Vulcans as our allies. It is a powerful scene with an absolutely beautiful score by Jerry Goldsmith.

9. 'Lobby Scene'

Film: The Matrix
Why?: Rarely does a scene leave you breathless, with so much action going on that your mind is boggled, yet you continuously follow it because it is so damn awesome. The lobby scene in The Matrix is this scene. It is continuous, high octane, edge of your scene action with absolutely phenomenal choreographed work as well as excellent gun play. This might be one of the finest action sequences ever filmed. This is absolutely high praise, and by far one of the most memorable things I have ever witnessed in my entire life.

8. 'Them Apples'

Film: Good Will Hunting
Why?: This scene, man, I love it. This is exceptional writing at it's finest. Matt Damon unleashes a monstrous put-down on a pretentious, snobby, Harvard brat who is trying to win over a girl that Ben Affleck is awkwardly (albeit hilariously) striking out on. Damon's character, Will, comes to the rescue with his high wit, and absolutely fascinating intelligence to leave the douche-bag without words in one of the best put-downs ever. The best part? After it is all said and done, Damon charmingly wins over the girl's attention and gets her number. On the way home, he passes by the d-bag at a diner, asks, "Do you like apples?" the guy awkwardly replies..."Yeah?" Damon smacks the napkin against the window, "I got her number, how do you like them apples?" Sucks to suck, douche-bag. Brilliant scene by Matt Damon.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #282
Neverending
sex

Like everyone else, I love the lobby shoot out, but I think the climatic fight between Neo and Agent Smith is the best scene in The Matrix.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The lobby shoot out is too self aware and the guards are obviously no match for Neo and whats-her-face. The stakes are simply higher in Neo vs. Smith fight and Don Davis' score is a million times better than the techno stuff in the lobby scene.
12:55 AM

^ 10 years. LOL.
Neverending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #283
MasterChief117
The Batman

Subway fight scene is so bad ass. Good suggestion. I love the fight work in that scene so much.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #284
Justin
Executive Loser

Not a big fan of Good Will Hunting, though that scene is pretty funny.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #285
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

The scene from The Matrix which shocked me the most was Neo's awakening. It completely blew my mind when I first saw it.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #286
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

The First Contact scene is better in concept. What they need is more movies about friendly alien contact. Spielberg ain't goin' live forever.

60 out of 65 Hugo Award winners completed.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #287
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

I'm with Neverending on the train station fight being the film's best action set piece, though I do love the lobby shoot out.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #288
Fanible
FanFreakinTastic

Send a message via AIM to Fanible

I love every part of the movie. Just watched it again the other day, after a few years. Still an amazing film.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #289
MasterChief117
The Batman

I want to re-go through the trilogy. I bought it on Blu-Ray. I might have to this weekend.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #290
MasterChief117
The Batman

I apologize for not moving forward this list. From here on out, if I do a list I'm going to list all 10 right off the bat. I get too lost when I do these.

7. Yippee Ki Yay

Film: Die Hard Quadrilogy
Why: I can't think of a line that better fits a character than this one. I think of Arnold's "GET DOWN!" but this line is so bad ass in it's full 'potential'. First said in Die Hard, this hilarious phrase is not only a taunt but at the same time, I'm coming after you. I love it. Growing up, when I couldn't curse, it was the only thing I ever wanted to say. It was just so damn cool.

6. "Superman..."

Film: Iron Giant
Why: If you have not seen this movie, go out and see it. The Iron Giant is a beautiful film that really explores the ideas of childhood, friendship and American aggression during Cold War times. When the Iron Giant decides to give his life to save the town after a fluke Nuke launch, tears started to stream down my face. A complete selfless act that he rushes too, exploding in the sky, he utters his last words, "Superman." Absolutely awesome.

5. Silhouette Scenes

Film: Indiana Jones series
Why: I don't have a really 'huge' reason for liking these scenes beyond the fact that they're so unbelievably cool. An awesome factor unable to be fit on a scale.

4. Morgan Freeman's Destruction of Denzel Washington

Film: Glory
Why: I could not locate the picture from the scene, but regardless this is one of my all time favorite scenes ever. Denzel's character, Trip is a reckless soldier who constantly attacks everyone because he is black, constantly being the aggressor and opening up a form of reverse racism. A full out argument starts, Morgan Freeman's character, Rawlin's comes in and tears apart Tripp, belittling him down to nothing, ripping apart his character and the narrow minded views that Trip has settled down into. Great scene.

3. "Earn This"

Film: Saving Private Ryan
Why: You never really know if Ryan 'earned' what those group of men did, risking all their lives to save him, one single man because he lost his brothers but the movie is not really about that. It is about the journey, and ultimately the price that war cost and the inevitability that nobody really wins and we all lose something. I love this scene because of how emotional it is. Wonderful scene.

2. Interrogation Scene

Film: The Dark Knight
Why: Good versus Evil. The ultimate good guy versus the ultimate bad guy. Two conflicting ideologies spread apart by a table. Nothing is more interesting nor fascinating than a scene that really explores the concepts that these two fictional characters bring to the table (no pun intended). The Joker sees the world bleak, dark and controlled. That anarchy is the only way to actually 'explore' freedom and escape control. While Batman believes quite the opposite. Heath Ledger gives a tour de force performance in this scene, while Bale holds his own.

1. Beach Walk

Film: The Shawshank Redemption
Why: Well, here it is: my favorite scene of all time from my favorite movie of all time. The Shawshank Redemption is a rollercoaster of emotions, some dramatic moments, some happy moments and a lot of hope mixed in. We never really know what to expect from a movie so engaging as The Shawshank Redemption, yet it delivers a great ending, one that you really hope pays off and in the end, it does. Nothing is better than seeing Red walk on the beach, finally see his friend, Andy once more time. Morgan Freeman's fantastic reaction, an ear to ear smile is emotionally uplifting. I cannot say enough about this scene, the actors or this movie.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #291
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Good choices.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #292
Deexan
Reflektor

Not bad but I will never get my head around MC's silhouette fetish.

But you know it's just an act
Deexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #293
MasterChief117
The Batman

I get a nerd-boner every time I see it. Now if only they did like a cool Batman one. Whew.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #294
MasterChief117
The Batman

Hey! I found my friggin' thread!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #295
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

New list?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #296
MasterChief117
The Batman

If I can think up a good enough list. I'm struggling at the moment.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #297
MasterChief117
The Batman

Since I am on my usual Star Trek kick (Star Trek Online and Star Trek: The Next Generation every night) I decided my next few lists will be Star Trek based. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions, as usual.

My Top 10 Star Trek: The Next Generation Episodes
Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #298
MasterChief117
The Batman

Here we go. Two parters will be included TOGETHER. I understand some people will probably have some faults, or want others in these spots. Regardless, these are the ones that hit home for me.

10. Time's Arrow

The usual theme of my list is big scope and big themes. The two parter episode, Time's Arrow has both balanced very well. An episode I originally did not like because I thought it dragged, Time's Arrow is actually extremely smart putting the most sophisticated of all the TNG characters into a pre-technology, high sociological time. A character like Data, who struggles with human interaction, interacting in a time where it was definitely a big part of society. The addition of Mark Twain in the episode as a pseudo bad guy is kinda cool, even though he never really does anything 'bad'. I loved seeing Guinan in the past, as well as the wonderful set pieces and costumes. This was a fun episode.

9. Ethics

Ethics is an extremely low key episode that in my opinion is very well written, very explorative character episode with a solid pay off. Worf has several drums fall on his back and breaking him, forcing him to be bed ridden for the rest of his days. It is either try a risky experiment, live in a bed ridden state or die. Worf, being the strongest of all Star Trek characters (minus Data, of course) with a strong, stubborn like will decides he would rather die with his pride than be forced to live without mobility. An interesting choice considering his son, Alexander is a young boy, in need of his Father. The episode greatly deals with pride, respect and a great Father/Son theme that worked extremely well in this episode. The corny pay off of seeing Alexander help his Dad walk at the end of the episode is extremely rewarding.

8. Chain of Command

Picard goes on a special away mission deep into Cardassian territory, a mission if caught could be death. Well, the mission goes incredibly south and Picard gets captured. Does he die? No. He is tortured beyond belief in an extremely painful (for TV at least) episode to watch. Patrick Stewart does an incredible job of delivering sheer pain in his voice, his body and his emotions. His torturer, Gul Mudred (played well by David Warner) destroys Picard out of his misplaced self worth, something Picard would later bash on in an extremely satisfying scene. The most memorable part of the episode is Gul and his attempt to brainwash Picard in believing there was five lights, when there was indeed only four. Well, Picard ends up going back to the Enterprise and the day is saved, until the end when Picard reveals in private that at the end, he really did believe there was five lights.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #299
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Ugh, I hated the holodeck episodes.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #300
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanTheCool View Post
Ugh, I hated the holodeck episodes.
Yeah they got into trouble most of the time playing with that - I would have shut it down and dismantled it after the first time
"I don't...Am I speaking Russian? How come I'm speaking Russian?"
Ramplate is offline   Reply With Quote