The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: Rate "Post Tenebras Lux"
10 1 50.00%
9 1 50.00%
8 0 0%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
iv3rdawG
Oh My Glob!

Default Post Tenebras Lux - Review Thread

Originally posted at: http://evantvmoviegames.tumblr.com/p...ebrasluxreview

Before viewing Post Tenebras Lux, I had yet to see a Carlos Reygadas film. This seems especially odd by the fact that I’ve been hearing about his work for years from friends. His last feature, Silent Light, seems to have gotten the most recognition among his body of work. As someone who hasn’t seen it, I think it’s going to be difficult to try and surpass Post Tenebras Lux. The film tells the story of Juan (Adolfo Jiménez Castro) and his family, as they reside in the Mexican countryside.

I went into Post Tenebras Lux expecting to be challenged. To my surprise (maybe because I went in with that expectation) it was actually much easier to follow than I would have thought. Thankfully it wasn’t as draining as something like The Turin Horse, which can just wear on your patience. Instead, Post Tenebras Lux works in the same way that The Tree of Life does, in that much of its story is told through visuals. However, it also works in the opposite way, as it relies much more on spoken dialogue between characters. Reygadas mixes the two really well, and he knows when to insert it into the film.

It’s interesting to think about what genre the film would fit into best. If you were going to tell one person what the movie was about, what would you say? That’s part of the reason why the synopsis I wrote was so slim. Personally, I think it’s the best representation of a family drama since Derek Cianfrance’s Blue Valentine. Reygadas paints a picture that you often wont want to look at because of the truth that often shines through. Post Tenebras Lux will either grab you right from the opening scene or it wont. There will be some people who will go along for the ride, that is until about twenty minutes into the film, where one of the main characters commits an act that will make let viewers know for sure whether they can stick it out with these characters or not.

It’s hard not to talk about what other people’s reactions are going to be to Post Tenebras Lux. I know, just know, some people are going to hate it like nothing they’ve ever hated before. They’ll most likely be the same people who didn’t enjoy The Tree of Life. What people need to understand is that movies don’t need to follow a distinct storytelling technique. Sure, you might need to if you’re making a studio film, but for someone like Reygadas, who’s making something that he felt the need to shoot and to present to audiences that are willing to accept it, he doesn’t need to do that. Most art, such as paintings and photography, often get a pass when someone does something that strays away from the norm. When a filmmaker does it he’s often criticized. That’s what will, and is already happening here.

When I looked at my top three films this year (so far), they each have one aspect that shines through them all, and that is their visuals. In the case of Post Tenebras Lux, it’s clear that Reygadas is telling a story through visuals, much like in the same way that Terrence Malick does, and I welcome that. The cinematography is breathtaking, only truly rivaled by Robbie Ryan’s work on Wuthering Heights this year. This presents itself right out of the gate, with the beautiful look that Alexis Zabe and Reygadas establish in the opening scene. It’s just a taste of what the two provide the audiences with, as the film never stays in one place.

Post Tenebras Lux does what every great film should do, and that is make the audience feel a variety of emotions while they watch the movie. You feel happiness during many of the family scenes, dirty during the bath-house scene and anger at certain actions that our main characters commit. Almost every character is flawed, and they should be.

Reygadas is taking us to places that we don’t want to see and are rarely ever shown in film. What makes this work even better than one might imagine is the emotion that he’s able to produce because of the things that we have seen. This point comes across most effectively near the end of the film, which culminates in one excruciating, heart breaking scene where Juan lies in bed as his wife, Natalia (Nathalia Acevedo), plays Neil Young’s “It’s a Dream” for him. The scene isn’t trimmed down in consideration of the audience’s patience, or even presented in any fancy way. Reygadas and his two actors, Castro and Acevedo, just play out the scene. The two leads are simply brilliant. What makes their performances even more astonishing is that this is their first time acting in a film.

As someone who isn’t an actor, it seems like the most challenging acting jobs might be the roles where you have to portray a regular person. Not the James Bond or a Batman, but someone that any person, or at least most of the population, could relate to. That’s part of why Acevedo and Castro are so surprisingly good here. They are in no way amateurish and believe me, it would have shown. I’m just going to quickly go over the 4:3 aspect ratio, which was also used in Wuthering Heights earlier this year. I don’t know what it is about the use of it but it seems to somehow bring out the best in cinematographers and directors the past couple of years. It shines here, though Reygadas does use a lens that has an effect that ends up haloing the image near the outside of the viewing area which can be a little distracting.

There’s so many interpretations that could be made about the film. Some might be right, others might be wrong; there’s honestly know way to tell unless you get an answer straight from Reygadas’ mouth, and I doubt that would happen. First off there’s the two scenes with the devil. It seems clear that it’s not in Juan and Natalia’s house. Could it be Juan as a child? Seven’s house? It’s difficult to come to a conclusion, and it should be. There’s also the rugby game that takes place in England. It seems entirely possible that it’s Juan as a child, considering the conversations he had with the other villagers back in Mexico.

What’s truly wonderful about Post Tenebras Lux is that it opens discussion up among many subjects, such as the ones I touched upon in the last couple paragraphs. If you go see it with someone, or even talk to someone online about it, you’re probably going to get differing opinions, both about the film itself and what Reygadas presented. Next to Oliver Assayas’ Carlos, I can’t remember another film in the last couple years that I wanted to discuss on and on about at length. Post Tenebras Lux is confusing and difficult in ways that most films aren’t. But that’s good. That’s why it works so well. There’s not one interpretation by a person that’s necessarily going to be 100% correct.

Reygadas has created something that’s special. Some people wont connect with it, and that’s fine. Not all movies are going to strike a nerve with everyone that sees it. But for me, Post Tenebras Lux is the kind of film that rarely comes along, and one that makes me happy to be a fan of cinema. It’s the kind of movie that when you find it once, it keeps you going, just so you’re able to sift through all of the junk that’s put out in hopes that you’ll find another film that’s like it. When you find it you cherish it, and that’s just what I’m going to do with Post Tenebras Lux. Hopefully others will have the same chance.

Trailer:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Controlled Obsession Website | Controlled Obsession Twitter | Controlled Obsession Facebook | Twitter (Personal)

Last edited by iv3rdawG; 11-08-2012 at 11:54 AM.
iv3rdawG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Justin
Executive Loser

Wrong thread.

Last edited by Justin; 11-12-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
iv3rdawG
Oh My Glob!

Will be released May 1, 2013 by Strand Releasing.

Controlled Obsession Website | Controlled Obsession Twitter | Controlled Obsession Facebook | Twitter (Personal)
Old 11-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
Justin
Executive Loser

This was one of the few I missed due to laziness during AFI-Fest. What has me a little skeptical is that it seems like it's all style and interpretation. Is that enough to fill out the entire running time? Sort of reminds me of David Lynch. I enjoy Lynch, but his films have at least some semblance of plot.

Last edited by Justin; 11-27-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
iv3rdawG
Oh My Glob!

I felt the same way going in but there's actually a strong, driven plot.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #6
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
What has me a little skeptical is that it seems like it's all style and interpretation.
Kind of like every Terence Malick snoozefest ever?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Justin
Executive Loser

Touché.

Last edited by Justin; 12-02-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
iv3rdawG
Oh My Glob!

Gorgeous new trailer from Strand Releasing (play it in 1080p and open it in YouTube):

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Look for it in theaters within the next month.

Last edited by iv3rdawG; 04-26-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

I forgot all about this movie.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
Dhamon22
High Flying Bird

Send a message via AIM to Dhamon22

Saw this during the Maryland Film Festival and kind of loved it. It took me a day or two to finally come to that conclusion but it really is great. I didn't know what to think immediately following the screening but it was all I could think about for the longest time, including during my next screening of Drinking Buddies. I would like to see it again but its never not interesting, and in so many ways.

9/10

BTW, thanks for starting this thread or else I probably never would've checked this out.

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.com

@theredboxreport
Dhamon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
iv3rdawG
Oh My Glob!

I'm happy to have helped, and glad you enjoyed it. And yes, I totally agree about it taking over your thoughts. I watched another movie right after and had it on my mind throughout. I know someone else who also had a similar story. It's a truly engrossing experience.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
Dhamon22
High Flying Bird

Send a message via AIM to Dhamon22

Can't believe its rotten tomato score, not that it matters.

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.com

@theredboxreport
Dhamon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
iv3rdawG
Oh My Glob!

It's a film that will divide critics and audiences, there's no doubt about it. For those that it seems to click with, however, it really has an impact.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
Justin
Executive Loser

For those in LA, it's currently playing at The Cinefamily. I'll certainly be there before it leaves (the 13th).

Last edited by Justin; 06-11-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
iv3rdawG
Oh My Glob!

First movie to play on their new digital projector as well. Glad they grabbed it.