The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment
10 2 7.69%
9 3 11.54%
8 10 38.46%
7 7 26.92%
6 4 15.38%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #151
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
It was almost impossible for me to relate to her character because every single decision she made went against any form of common sense or thinking objectively.
So, you would have allowed your kid sister to die? That's pretty f--ked up. Especially coming from a MAN.

Quote:
However, unlike the characters in the obvious cinematic comparison Battle Royale
This again?

Quote:
we don't see why she doesn't capitalize on these skills
We did. She just didn't over-use it. And what for when everyone else is killing each other. Her plan was actually pretty smart. Wait on top of a tree until there was only one person left. But sadly, the TV producers had to f--k with her.

Quote:
The movie at no time hints that she has some hidden moral reservations against murdering these people trying to kill her.
And she did kill.

Quote:
Time and again and again and again she is given the opportunity to dispatch these 'tributes' en masse, yet she doesn't.
In masses? She had a bow and arrow, not a machine gun.

Quote:
Rather than use her bow skills to eliminate her competitors effectively and also very quickly, she hides, attempts sabotage, helps injured tributes....
She isn't Rambo.

Quote:
what she was supposed to do
It's quite obvious you missed the point of the movie.

Quote:
I enjoyed myself
Let it be noted.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #152
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Katniss was greatly outnumbered almost every step of the way. As Neverending said, she's not Rambo.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #153
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
So, you would have allowed your kid sister to die? That's pretty f--ked up. Especially coming from a MAN.
I don't have a kid sister so I wouldn't know. But since I have an older sister though I can imagine at that age I would have probably let her die.

Quote:
This again?
Like I said, it was the obvious comparison but just for this little topic. I was gonna use Stone Cold in The Condemned (same kind of movie) because he wasn't a criminal like those people, he was a good guy just wanting to go home to his family. An inner conflict is presented, one that isn't around in this movie. I didn't use that example because...well it's The Condemned.

Quote:
We did. She just didn't over-use it. And what for when everyone else is killing each other. Her plan was actually pretty smart. Wait on top of a tree until there was only one person left. But sadly, the TV producers had to f--k with her.

And she did kill.

In masses? She had a bow and arrow, not a machine gun.

She isn't Rambo.
She killed only when in immediate danger. I'm not trying to tear the movie apart at the seams, I'm just being practical. She's in a game where she has to kill everyone or die. She has a bow and arrow, a weapon that makes you lethal at very long distances rather than up close, and it's pretty well established that she's an expert marksman. We also aren't made to believe that she should have any moral qualm against using her skills to survive (my main issue). Therefore why she doesn't use these skills until it is absolutely necessary is beyond me. Picking off five people who are oblivious to her presence in the safety of a tree (also established she's an excellent climber) with her primary weapon shouldn't exactly be a tall order, but for whatever reason she thought it would be better to blow up a pile of foam mattresses and apples. C'est la vie.

Quote:
It's quite obvious you missed the point of the movie.
I don't pretend that that every movie has some underlying moral theme. Most of the time they make them up to validate movies they throw their weight behind. 'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom isn't just about finding the Shankara stone and saving the children. It's about Indy's personal journey of realizing that fortune and glory aren't paramount, that to give of himself for a greater cause is to fully embrace the human condition. The hypnotic blood and lava pit are metaphors for reawakening and a resurgence of body and mind. We don't just witness Indy saving the day; we witness Indy saving himself.'

Last edited by Doomsday; 08-11-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #154
Neverending
Ducks

Quote:
I don't pretend that that every movie has some underlying moral theme.
Underlying? The whole movie is about rebellion and that's something the sequels will focus on. Katniss never did anything she was supposed to do and ultimately manipulated The Hunger Games as well provoke riots when the little Black girl died.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #155
shained
Y.N.W.A

Send a message via MSN to shained

Quote:

Also, I need some opinions as to how the situation should have been handled. While in the theater I heard some crying. Great, a guy had brought his little 2 year old kid in. The entire movie she cried, laughed, giggled, spoke in that 2 year old 'blaargagiiiguua' talk. I think the mass mentality enables people to think that someone else will do something, they should ignore it and so on. But about 90 minutes in I couldn't take it. I yelled 'SHUT UP!' hoping the guy would do something. He didn't, but my shout did enable people to pipe up a little more, yelling 'take her outside' or 'please leave' here and there. I finally told a manager who walked up and said something or other. Anyways, has anyone handled that situation in some effective way? I'm still pissed about it...
completely acceptable in my opinion. During LotR I flipped on some kids who would shut the **** up and it worked. They were quiet the rest of the film

Liverpool Football Club

You'll Never Walk Alone

Letterboxd
shained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #156
Dracula
Bloodgod

Quote:
Also, I need some opinions as to how the situation should have been handled. While in the theater I heard some crying. Great, a guy had brought his little 2 year old kid in. The entire movie she cried, laughed, giggled, spoke in that 2 year old 'blaargagiiiguua' talk. I think the mass mentality enables people to think that someone else will do something, they should ignore it and so on. But about 90 minutes in I couldn't take it. I yelled 'SHUT UP!' hoping the guy would do something. He didn't, but my shout did enable people to pipe up a little more, yelling 'take her outside' or 'please leave' here and there. I finally told a manager who walked up and said something or other. Anyways, has anyone handled that situation in some effective way? I'm still pissed about it...
People bringing kids to movies is a tough situation because you usually can't just walk up and tell an infant to shut up. Complaining to a manager is about all you can really do. Then again, this must have been some kind of dollar theater so this kind of stuff kind of goes with the territory.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #157
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

I finally got to see this movie. One of the few movies that I guess I liked, but I didn't love? I'm not sure if that makes sense. Katniss was the only redeeming part for me. Peeta was a *****. The 'system' if you will, was too typical and predictable. Meh. Cato was a typical ******* for really no reason. Overtly violent and some things felt incredibly rushed(Rue and her storyline). Not to mention, people praise the fight sequences in this, but bash on Batman Begins? HAHA. Right. Oh, and Woody is the **** in this.

B-
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #158
Neverending
Ducks

Most people don't want shaky cam in a Batman film. But in a PG-13 movie about kids killing themselves, it seems appropriate.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #159
Fanible
FanFreakinTastic

Send a message via AIM to Fanible

He didn't even mention the shaky cam... but since you brought it up, it was indeed dumb.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #160
Neverending
Ducks

He mentioned the fight scenes which featured shaky cam. Then made a comparison to Batman Begins which also featured shaky cam.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #161
Mikey-Bizzle
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief117 View Post
I finally got to see this movie. One of the few movies that I guess I liked, but I didn't love? I'm not sure if that makes sense. Katniss was the only redeeming part for me. Peeta was a *****. The 'system' if you will, was too typical and predictable. Meh. Cato was a typical ******* for really no reason. Overtly violent and some things felt incredibly rushed(Rue and her storyline). Not to mention, people praise the fight sequences in this, but bash on Batman Begins? HAHA. Right. Oh, and Woody is the **** in this.

B-
Pretty much what I thought of the movie as well!
Mikey-Bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #162
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
People bringing kids to movies is a tough situation because you usually can't just walk up and tell an infant to shut up. Complaining to a manager is about all you can really do. Then again, this must have been some kind of dollar theater so this kind of stuff kind of goes with the territory.
Happens in regular theaters too - I was watching a movie where this kid was constantly asking their parent "what happened to 'so and so'", "What's he doing?", Why'd he do that?"

I felt like shouting "Watch the friggin movie and you'll find out!"

Dooms did the right thing - tell them to shut up, then go to the manager if they continue
"I don't...Am I speaking Russian? How come I'm speaking Russian?"
Ramplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #163
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

Got the limited edition box set on Amazon in the mail today. I ordered it for only $20. Good deal.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #164
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanible View Post
He didn't even mention the shaky cam... but since you brought it up, it was indeed dumb.
Couldn't agree more. I totally hate the shaky camera in movies. I want to kick the director in the nuts for even thinking it's a good idea. It's distracting at best and thank goodness they didn't use it the whole movie. It ruined the scenes it was used in in this movie.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:35 AM   #165
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

I liked the movie. I thought it was a pretty interesting idea (kind of like the movie Running Man, with a little West World, and Demolition Man flavor tossed in)

There were a couple of things I didn't really get - one was why she liked the negative weasel so much after all. I mean, he was so sure he was gonna lose - what a downer.
I guess people thrust together in odd circumstances and all that... but still.

The other thing is that the black guy could have killed both women, but he saved her? maybe he just hated the other one so much and/or she was so good he took her out and left the star because he had a better chance of actually beating her later.

I dunno - good movie anyway 8/10
Old 08-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #166
shained
Y.N.W.A

Send a message via MSN to shained

Thresh left he because she killed the person who killed Rue, and also buried Rue who was from his district and who he probably knew.

Liverpool Football Club

You'll Never Walk Alone

Letterboxd
shained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #167
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Ahh ok
EDIT - wiki says that was explained in the book as she told him about the alliance they had, but not in the movie.

Yeah that was so sad

One thing about the events in the movie - a lot of them were predictable. But still a good story

Last edited by Ramplate; 08-23-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #168
Dhamon22
High Flying Bird

Send a message via AIM to Dhamon22

I liked it more than I thought I would. I didn't mind the shaky cam and I thought Rue's storyline was fine. Although I'm sure if I read the book I would think it was rushed. Jennifer Lawrence was great but I found the pre-games to be the most interesting stuff. Josh Hutcherson hasn't been good in anything I've seen and that didn't change after watching this.

8/10

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.com

@theredboxreport
Dhamon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #169
Neverending
Ducks

Last year, Lionsgate and Summit merged. So, one studio now owns Twilight AND Hunger Games. And because of that, it is the first time either of these studios have made $1 Billion in a single year.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/lion...or-first-time/

Quote:
Lionsgate achieve a first-ever milestone for it at the North American box office – crossing the $1 billion mark ($1.09B). This is also the first time ever that a studio has opened two films – Breaking Dawn Part 2 and The Hunger Games – to over $125M in the same year. And it certainly explains why Lionsgate was so eager to acquire Summit. Now Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight Saga is ending, but Suzanne Collins’ The Hunger Games franchise is still reeling. Francis Lawrence is directing first sequel Catching Fire, now in production and set for a November 2013 release, and has signed to helm the final two installments, Mockingjay Part 1 (November 2014) and Mockingjay Part 2 (November 2015).
Old 11-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #170
Neverending
Ducks

Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #171
Hollywood
Executive Producer

Is that jennifer Lawrence?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #172
Neverending
Ducks

No. It's Kristen Stewart.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #173
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Quote:
No. It's Kristen Stewart.
Had you not posted I was going to go with a bit more sarcasm than that. Maybe...Kris Kringle?

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #174
Neverending
Ducks

She does bring the gift of Christmas.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #175
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Whoa! Did someone get hotter or what

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote