The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: Rate It
10 0 0%
9 0 0%
8 0 0%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 1 50.00%
2 1 50.00%
1 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel
Default Silent Hill: Revelation - Review Thread

Silent Hill: Revelation

In my own humble opinion, when Silent Hill came out, I was raving to people about how this was how you do a video game adaptation on the big screen. I found the story, the action, and the suspense to be downright realistic, creepy, and engaging. It goes without saying that plans for a sequel were met with anticipation, especially with a cast that elicited much optimism.

So, now, here I am ranting about how Silent Hill: Revelation is how you kill a video game adaptation series.

The premise pretty much picks up the story from the first installment, where Sean Bean plays Harry, on the run from the cult with his now-grown daughter, Heather. When the cult catches up to them and kidnaps Harry back into Silent Hill, Heather is determined to give chase and rescue her dad.

And, honestly, aside from those characters (and Pyramidhead) and the cult itself, this is an entirely different movie. It lacks the soul, so to speak, of the first installment and really kind of plods along. I found myself finally getting kind of interested, but, then realised I only had twenty minutes of movie left. I didn't find the movie particularly creepy, I thought there was way too much time spent outside of Silent Hill and, once Heather gets there, it's like a completely watered-down version of the original. The acting was all over the place, and I thought I had for sure landed myself in front of a straight-to-DVD release - surely this isn't something Hollywood itself churned out.

Needless to say, all the negative reviews I read, and ignored, were right, and, with a sequel definitely opened up at the end, this series has nowhere to go but up.

2/10
Old 11-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
Neverending
sex

Michelle Williams must have needed the money.
12:55 AM

"We’re No. 1 in TBS’ key demographic:
People who can’t afford HBO."
- Conan O'Brien
May 18, 2011

"I honestly don't know who gives me a bigger boner:
Zoe Saldana OR Chris Pine. Star Trek Into My Pants!"
- Kevin Smith
February 24, 2013

The Batman Appreciation Thread
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

That photo makes her look close, but that isn't Michelle Williams. It's Adelaide Clemens, an Australian actress.

...and Daniel is right. I tried to get into it, I tried to show support, but this film murdered the series. That little nod to Silent Hill: Downpour at the end, which is pretty good and I recommend it, was about the best part of the movie. Everything else was lackluster central. I can honestly say that there was nothing that stuck with me after the credits rolled. With the first Silent Hill, there are quite a few awesome moments that even now makes me go; "ugh, that's ****ed up!". lol. This movie was just a sad, sad sequel.

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
saveus1011
Directive 4 (Classified)

Send a message via AIM to saveus1011 Send a message via Yahoo to saveus1011 Send a message via Skype™ to saveus1011

It's the only film I've seen this year that's truly all over the place.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
Dhamon22
High Flying Bird

Send a message via AIM to Dhamon22

I liked the first one too but I'm not surprised this was terrible.

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.com

@theredboxreport
Dhamon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Justin
Executive Loser

This was shredded by almost every single critic. As much as I enjoyed the first one, this looked awful.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Seakazoo
formerly KUacuraChick

Send a message via AIM to Seakazoo

I liked the first one. It was a good, fun movie. And as a Silent Hill fan I squee'd seeing Pyramid Head. Though I was torn, because if you follow the mythology of the series (at least SH2) Pyramid Head makes no sense being in the first movie.

I kind of want to see this one, especially because it has sexy peepaw in it (oh god, Malcolm McDowel I love you), but I know I'll nitpick it to death and I won't be able to enjoy it. This is a rental at best.

https://twitter.com/seakazoo My Twitter
https://twitter.com/piratejim2 My cat's Twitter
Seakazoo is offline   Reply With Quote