The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: Rate it:
10 0 0%
9 0 0%
8 0 0%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 1 100.00%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel
Default Paranormal Activity 4 - Review Thread

Paranormal Activity 4 - Review Thread

We have what is basically the new Final Destination and Saw film series. Those movies both had their strong and weak points, with both franchises managing to finish fairly solidly after hitting the lower end of the curve around movies 3-5. If those films are any indication of how a series should go, then Paranormal Activity 4 is par for the course and right on track.

If you know the formula of a Paranormal Activity movie, then there isn't much here that will surprise you. Through the use of cell phone cameras and then laptops that are later set up to track the house, footage is acquired that shows the supernatural and demonic going-ons in a home.

This time around, kidnapped child Hunter has grown up and has moved with possessed hotness that is Katie Featherston (who has managed to lose weight and get even more drool-worthy) .... or has he? Creepy child Robbie stays with neighbour Wyatt and his family when his mom Katie is suddenly put into the hospital for unknown reasons. Of course, Robbie brings a pet with him, and hauntings and mayhem ensue. In the end, we find that things are not quite what they seem and the story is furthered a but more this time.

A few things here. First, I find the "unravel a little more information with each installment" formula that was prevelent in the Cube movie series to be a little annoying because, in the end, it never really culminated in us getting the full story of what was going on. Instead, it was just enough to give us a peek, but, there was no real resolution to the story arc. Therefore, instead of spending all the time on what made Cube so great (the traps), we had to be shown just a little more to get our brain thinking about something else. Some might have been satisfied with this or enjoyed this, but, if you're going to give me a bite of the steak, you might as well be prepared to give me the entire prime rib. Here in Paranormal Activity 4, the coven that was revealed in the third installment is re-visited, and we see a little more of that action going on, but, I'm curious where that storyline is headed and if we really need the coven in future installments if it's just going to be more random WTF WITCHES moments.

Second, the whole Hunter storyline was a really stupid error on the filmmakers part. We really didn't need to have this story go the direction it went. The reason for Robbie going to Wyatt's and there being supernatural things happening could have been as simple as "he's the neighbour and, therefore, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Instead, we have to be spoonfed a reason why this family is chosen, and, really, it is extremely convoluted and raised a lot of questions about how different characters ended up where they are now.

For those of you who are less interested in the plot and more so in the scares, they are till here, but, it was a lot more watered down than in previous installments. The constant build-up was nowhere to be seen here, and I found myself not as on the edge of my seat as in previous installments. There are more jump moments than suspenseful buildups here, but, even the jump moments are few and far between. The actions from the entity in the home are more of the same stuff from other movies, although there was a clever garage scene which showed our teenage protagonist isn't so clever herself.

The bottom line is this: Paranormal Activity 4 is trying to up the ante with the plotline, but, I don't think that is going to fly in a found footage series unless you catch lightning in a bottle like with Chronicle. If the Paranormal Activity series is going to stay on track, they need to get back to quality tension and scares, and away from convoluted plot lines.

4/10

Last edited by Daniel; 10-22-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Business is already dropping off in the box office for this thank goodness
"I don't...Am I speaking Russian? How come I'm speaking Russian?"
Ramplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Neverending
sex

It cost $5 million to produce. And its marketing budget isn't that big either since it relies on a grassroots campaign. It grossed $30 million domestically and an additional $30 million internationally. It has already made a profit and its only been in theaters for 4 days. Part 5 was greenlit today and they're also making a Spanish version for the Latin America market. So, sit tight, Ramplate. The franchise ain't over yet.
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
Nick1988
Executive Producer

I actually have enjoyed these movies, the first one imo is he probably the scariest movie i have ever seen, i found it terrifying and i thought the second one was also pretty scary , third one imo was the first sign that this series was going down, i liked the end part but in general i thought it was alright....

The 4th one is so pointless it's not even funny, literally nothing happens in this movie, they used the same cliche scares from the previous and they don't work at all, only time this movie was interesting was i **** you not, the last minute and a half, which i admit made me jump a little,

This movie came across like a real bait and catch for some money, because it seemed like the directors just didn't give a ****, the whole Wytat/Hunter thing was handled poorly, and there really was not set up for why they were filming unlike the reason for the previous 3.

The ending didn't really answer any questions that was left after the second one, and honestly i don't think anyone really cares anymore for it to be answer because this series has been played out badly, they have run out of ideas, and the ideas they are trying to go with have ruined what the original one was going for, honestly the way the movie ended ... i don't know how you continue with this whole "Found Footage" thing because its shaping up to be some straight to DVD witch hunter type movie.

5/10
Nick1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Neverending
sex

I enjoyed the first three movies, largely for comedic reasons and its consistancy, but this 4th installment is terrible. It does very little to progress the mythology and without the mythology these movies would be pointless.
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
Nick1988
Executive Producer

^Exactly
Nick1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Seakazoo
formerly KUacuraChick

Send a message via AIM to Seakazoo

I'm watching this right now and all I have to say is duuuuuuuuuuur. Minus the sweet unicorn dancing poster,and the bad ass dance party the end. Also "we're trapped in a pantry but I'll get us out of here."

Stupid Stupid Stupid

https://twitter.com/seakazoo My Twitter
https://twitter.com/piratejim2 My cat's Twitter
Seakazoo is offline   Reply With Quote