The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Movies Coming Soon

Old 10-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #301
SnuffTheRooster
Grip

I'm really excited about this one, I haven't seen a Tarantino film that I didn't like yet. And of course the fact that its a western is a bonus.
SnuffTheRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #302
Justin
Executive Loser

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #303
Neverending
Ducks

Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #304
Justin
Executive Loser

Nice, QT usually has cool posters.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #305
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

QT has a great admiration for spaghetti westerns. Even though I don't give him as much credit as some people do I'm really looking forward to this.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #306
Justin
Executive Loser

Yeah, he definitely has a love for westerns...and cult films, that's for sure.

Last edited by Justin; 12-02-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #307
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Reviews thus far for the film:

This one from IGN:

Quote:

Writer-director Quentin Tarantino has made one of 2012's best movies with Django Unchained, a weird, wild, and violent crowd-pleaser that serves as a raucous salute to the spaghetti western.

.................................................. .......

The real standouts in the cast are Waltz, DiCaprio, and Samuel L. Jackson, who plays Candie's loyal, old house slave Stephen. This character, as Tarantino has explained, is meant to personify some of the most hated of African-American stereotypes, while also serving as a crafty villain in his own right. Jackson really sinks his teeth into it and has great chemistry with DiCaprio, whose character he essentially raised. DiCaprio also clearly relishes his larger-than-life role, playing Candie as a dandified bastard. Foxx is solid as Django, stripping away his movie star persona as he also did in Ali and Collateral. He's tough, yet vulnerable.

Hollywood Reporter:

Quote:

The anecdotal, odyssey-like structure of this long, talky saga could be considered indulgent, but Tarantino injects the weighty material with so many jocular, startling and unexpected touches that it’s constantly stimulating. A stellar cast and strong action and comedy elements will attract a good-sized audience internationally, though distaste for the subject matter and the irreverent take on a tragic subject might make some prospective viewers hesitate.

The film’s greatest problem is that, especially in the second half, the Django character gets a bit lost in the shuffle; he doesn’t pop from the screen the way Schultz, Candie and Stephen do. Django is all about being resolute and determined, but more detail could have filled out the character’s transformation from downtrodden slave to steely master gunfighter. Schultz teaches him about Siegfried and firearms, but the long-journey format could have nicely accommodated a fuller, more gradual account of the expansion of Django’s mind and horizons; as it is, he lurches from impotent nonperson to cocky dude too abruptly.

The Film Stage:

Quote:

A caveat that prevents Django Unchained from earning a slightly higher score (A-): if the film is, at any point, ever unable to carry all of its own weight, the middle section would need to be singled out. It’s in some of the moments after DiCaprio’s introduction when it feels, in some way, that Tarantino’s fallen a bit too in love with his own world — where things gets a bit doughy around the edges, structure- and pacing-wise, and where no central character is readily identifiable.

To hell with it, though. The second act climaxes with, speaking in terms of off-camera filmmaking and on-camera character stakes, one of the more tense scenes in Tarantino’s entire oeuvre, leading into a third act with closure is so sweet it doesn’t matter if you saw it coming from the start.

Variety:

Quote:

Django joins a too-short list of slaves-turned-heroes in American cinema, as this zeitgeist-shaping romp cleverly upgrades the mysterious Man in Black archetype to a formidable Black Man. Once again, Quentin Tarantino rides to the Weinsteins' rescue, delivering a bloody hilarious (and hilariously bloody) Christmas counter-programmer, which Sony will unleash abroad.

Gorgeously lit and lensed by Robert Richardson against authentic American landscapes (as opposed to the Italian soil Corbucci used), the film pays breathtaking respect not just to Tarantino's many cinematic influences, but to the country itself, envisioning a way out of the slavery mess it depicts. In sheer formal terms, "Django Unchained" is rich enough to reward multiple viewings, while thematics will make this thorny "southern" -- as the director aptly dubs it -- perhaps his most closely studied work.

"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #308
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

early reviews have me somewhat worried about the editing. i know he doesn't have his tried and true editor since she passed away, some of the reviews just say some scenes go over long for no reason and don't add to the movie.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #309
PG Cooper
Nixon's back, baby!

Did well as far as Golden Globe nominations go.

CS! Recod Holder: Quickest Review in the Film Club (2 hours 19 minutes).

April 18th, 2013, 9:24 PM-????

"Terminator 2's a pretty awesome movie."- Paul Thomas Anderson
PG Cooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #310
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

So did the tourist years back... awards are bull****.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #311
Justin
Executive Loser

Agreed.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #312
Dhamon22
High Flying Bird

Send a message via AIM to Dhamon22

Got an A+ from Brad Brevet, a critic I trust.

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.com

@theredboxreport
Dhamon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #313
CrossroadMovie
Grip

I agree, looks interesting.
CrossroadMovie is offline   Reply With Quote