The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Television

Old 11-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #451
Justin
Executive Loser

Look, I haven't read the comics, but the show is pretty goofy most of the time. It's a guilty pleasure at best because of the poor writing. From what I can tell, MC has it right on the money. Michonne is one of the most boring characters on the show. Walking around, being suspicious, and acting badass doesn't exactly build much of a character. She doesn't really have anywhere to go, same with Andrea. Also, Andrea can not possibly be this naïve. Don't get me wrong, it's still an extremely enjoyable show, but c'mon...let's be honest.

Last edited by Justin; 11-13-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #452
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnage4u View Post
I just like the fact its based on the comics, but they are willing to change things up, and the fact the creator of the comics is so involved with it being a different take on things, I'm not going to complain.

99% of the time when i see a movie based on a book/comic I enjoy the book more (like most people) . There are various adaptions that do bug more me a bit more then they should. Often times it just because the quality of the product is also bad in addition to the material being used poorly.

Enjoying the book more, doesn't meant I cant enjoy the movie/show though. If I find the movie to still be a good attempt at capturing the idea of the book. I don't mind changes that much. "Did I find the movie entertaining?" and "was the core concept captured" is what matters to me.

Beyond that I don't care much. TV/comics/books are all so different I dont hold on to some requirement they all must be so similar.

there are key moments in a book/comic that Stand out to me, and when the movie/tv show is different I'll always be a little sad, but I just dont let it bog me down. Seeing a favorite character act differently, or not get their best lines of books/comic will always set off a nerve on some level, which I do understand.

Unfortunately, Robert Kirkman is really not the writer he once was. The Walking Dead (comic canon) has completely went too far and is a total mess. Not to mention, multiple fanboys of his has said that he has become an egotistical prick.

Simply put, had we gotten just the TV show maybe I would see it differently. However, we got an incredible series built with a foundation surrounding around a character wealthy group full of interesting dynamics. The show has abandoned that to surround around a scene or a moment from the comic, rather than tell the story around these people. It is a huge mess.

Not to mention, no Tyrese.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #453
MasterChief117
The Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
All of the above. Seriously, we don't want to be "those people", but it's true. You deserve a better The Walking Dead. The show is decent, but the book is off-the-charts.
I hate being that person but ultimately it is the truth. It just kills me to see people saying how good the show is, and yet have never read the comics. They're missing out. I felt like the comics dodged horror movie cliches and really made it a drama about people in a zombie apocalypse, rather than a zombie show with drama added in. Meh.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
Old 11-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #454
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Masterchief, adaptations can sometimes be tough to handle. Do the changes actually decrease the quality, or is it a fan's bias? I completely understand as I went through the same thing this season with Game of Thrones.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #455
carnage4u
The Bad Man

So the comic is great, but when I mention the creator is ok with the show, its because the creator has turned into a hack now?

Tyrese is an amazing character in the comic that is not in the show. Ianthecool - Just like game of thrones the show, it may be enjoyable, but it isn't as good as books. it doesn't make the show any less good, but it cannot be as good as the source material.

Its just that simple, but some people just too get worked up over it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -- Terry Pratchett
carnage4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #456
Justin
Executive Loser

I think the case might be similar to Game of Thrones. GRRM is perfectly okay with how the show is progressing--it's just the fans who take issue with it (like myself, quite frankly). Some people find it problematic when they've made changes that either seemed pointless, or that will inevitably hurt the translated material in some way, whether it be from a plot standpoint, or an emotional one. In my opinion, it robs the material of its own power.

No one is getting worked up, they're just expressing themselves. People here have a right to critique the material just as much as you do in defending it. That's how a message board works. Obviously people are still watching it, so there must be SOMETHING enjoyable about the show. I make fun of it all the time, but it's still an entertaining show to watch every week.

Last edited by Justin; 11-13-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #457
MasterChief117
The Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnage4u View Post
So the comic is great, but when I mention the creator is ok with the show, its because the creator has turned into a hack now?

Tyrese is an amazing character in the comic that is not in the show. Ianthecool - Just like game of thrones the show, it may be enjoyable, but it isn't as good as books. it doesn't make the show any less good, but it cannot be as good as the source material.

Its just that simple, but some people just too get worked up over it.
He is going to be happy with the show. It is making him tons of money. I'd be happy too.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #458
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

The difference is that I know, more or less, what's going to happen in Game of Thrones because, for the most part, the show still follows the source material pretty well. In terms of execution and implementation, sure, Season 2 was somewhat lacking in certain parts, particularly in the treatment of Daenerys and Jon Snow. However, I can't say the same for The Walking Dead. The Walking Dead is a show with the same title and the same characters, but pretty much everything else is different. If you've read World War Z and you've watched the recent trailer, it's basically the same feeling. People may say that Season 2 of Game of Thrones was a bad adaptation, sure, but The Walking Dead's TV show isn't even an adaptation. It's just something else altogether.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #459
Justin
Executive Loser

Apparently I need to read the comics.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #460
MasterChief117
The Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
As soon as you read the comics you'll be right with me. I bet money on it. The comics are absolutely brilliant (really until the last 5-10 issues). Everything now feels kinda forced.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #461
Seakazoo
formerly KUacuraChick

Send a message via AIM to Seakazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Read the comics after the show is over. That way you can still enjoy the show without picking apart every single detail!!! Don't join the dark side.

https://twitter.com/seakazoo My Twitter
https://twitter.com/piratejim2 My cat's Twitter
Seakazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #462
Mikey-Bizzle
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUsubaruchick View Post
Read the comics after the show is over. That way you can still enjoy the show without picking apart every single detail!!! Don't join the dark side.
That was my plan! Going to borrow them off my mate once its all over
Mikey-Bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #463
Ayemef
Executive Producer

Thumbs up

Quote:
this man speaks tha truth

Official Website for Tha Next Chapter
where you can purchase albums, singles, merchandise
and download all of our current FREE Mixtapes ! ! !

Also, Don't Forget to BOOKMARK US!
Ayemef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #464
Seakazoo
formerly KUacuraChick

Since you agree with me I'll let it go that you just called me a man...

Old 11-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #465
Ayemef
Executive Producer

Talking

Quote:
Since you agree with me I'll let it go that you just called me a man...
Ha! guess it would help to read your username, lol

Official Website for Tha Next Chapter
where you can purchase albums, singles, merchandise
and download all of our current FREE Mixtapes ! ! !

Also, Don't Forget to BOOKMARK US!
Ayemef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #466
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

Or that for a man, her name is Colleen.

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #467
MasterChief117
The Batman

She is a super attractive man.

Might be one of the oddest things I have ever said in my life.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #468
Seakazoo
formerly KUacuraChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief117 View Post
She is a super attractive man.

Might be one of the oddest things I have ever said in my life.
<3 That just made my day.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #469
MasterChief117
The Batman

Quote:
<3 That just made my day.
I can go back to bed now.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #470
Seakazoo
formerly KUacuraChick

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring dead wife phone Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring dead wife phone
I've got this feeling, it's so appealing for us to get together and and sing

Also, with the holiday all my days are confused. I cannot believe they're doing a half season finale AGAIN! DINGUS!

Last edited by Seakazoo; 11-27-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: I didn't wan't to swear, dingus was the best I coud come up with.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #471
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #472
Justin
Executive Loser

It would have been even better if The Colonel had been one of the zombies.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #473
MasterChief117
The Batman

This show, man. Sheesh.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #474
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
LOL!!! I literally caught that one and started laughing the moment it aired mainly because just that day I read that the extras playing the zombies are eating chicken when they bite down into the victims, lol.

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #475
Mikey-Bizzle
Executive Producer

Another good episode this week! After next weeks episode is the mid season finale
Mikey-Bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote