The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Television

Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #426
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

There is a total disparity in the comics when
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the Governor's people overrun the prison. Major characters are injured or die, including Tyrone, Lori, and others. I just am not sure how the impact of the prison fight is going to be so big when there aren't that many characters to kill at that part. As it stands, Rick and his crew are HORRIBLY outnumbered and stand no chance. Really curious how it's going to go down.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #427
Justin
Executive Loser

Great episode, maybe one of the best ones.

Last edited by Justin; 11-06-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #428
carnage4u
The Bad Man

Being a fan of the comics I like the various changes to the show. I dont have to sick back and say. Ok, now this character dies, and then this character dies.

I get to watch a TV show based on the comics I like and still get to wonder what is going to happen episode to episode. Sure I knew stuff like the Prison was coming and the govenor, but all the details are tweaked and thats good.

Lori's death in the comic was different and pretty friggin crazy, but everything was damm crazy this episode as well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -- Terry Pratchett
carnage4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #429
Ayemef
Executive Producer

a lot pointless complaining by a couple of people on the previous page

you don't want the comics adapted directly to television, with the changes you have no idea what's going to happen next and it's better that way

another solid episode, and as it stands 4/4 on TWD this season

lets keep it coming directors/producers/actors, you're all doing great

can't wait to see how Rick handles what just took place and the affects it has on his mental state. Judging from next weeks preview, he's about to go over the edge

and Carl, well, he's just going to turn into a little bad ass warrior by the series end, that I'll put money on.

Official Website for Tha Next Chapter
where you can purchase albums, singles, merchandise
and download all of our current FREE Mixtapes ! ! !

Also, Don't Forget to BOOKMARK US!
Ayemef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #430
Justin
Executive Loser

No matter who Carl turns into, I'm going to have a tough time taking him seriously.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #431
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

I know, it's weird seeing him in such a serious role here. Especially when he goes all commando with his gun with the silencer, lol.

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #432
Justin
Executive Loser

It's ridiculous, even if it's consistent with the reality that they live in. When he's trying to comfort someone, or do something 'brave', I just...cringe.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #433
Daniel
Flawed Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayemef View Post
you don't want the comics adapted directly to television, with the changes you have no idea what's going to happen next and it's better that way
you're assuming I want it directly adapted, and I don't. However, I don't like how Lori went out in Walking Dead and, yes, knowledge of the comics has everything to do with that. It's the unfortunate side-effect of watching an adaptation - if something is done better in print, it's always going to disappoint when it is depicted on TV. Not sure why you have such a personal issue with that.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #434
Daniel
Flawed Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
It's ridiculous, even if it's consistent with the reality that they live in. When he's trying to comfort someone, or do something 'brave', I just...cringe.
Carl is only going to get more bad ass and what-have-you. The dynamic between him and Rick is really good, as Carl, at a young age, adopts this "must do whatever it takes" attitude, and Rick teaches him how to make sure he is always making the right decision. Rick ostracizes a lot of people in the comics because he makes the tough decisions, but, his character is grounded enough that every decision he makes is the right one, or the best one he feels his group has. Carl doesn't have a lifetime of character to help him make the right decision every time, so Rick's job as his dad is to teach him that above all else.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #435
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

yea carl sucks, we get it.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #436
Justin
Executive Loser

Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #437
Daniel
Flawed Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinTard View Post
yea carl sucks, we get it.
I didn't say that at all, or were you making that comment at someone else?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #438
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Wow. The first two seasons I defended this show like no other. I took it as a guilty pleasure, aware of the problems but consistently overlooking of them because of the good that was to come. Season Three is here, and I cannot defend this show anymore. It will remain a must watch show, as well as a guilty pleasure but I can't help but be INCREDIBLY disappointed. The Prison was suppose to be the highlight, one of the better parts and if anything, has made things worse. The want/need to get away from the comic canon is killing this show. The more they differ, the worse it gets. Character dynamics get thrown out, the drama becomes less believable and the entire scenarios become less plausible. Here are my main problems (feel free to pick at me):

Michonne Is NOT MICHONNE!

I refuse to blame Danai Gurira, who does solid with the material she has been given. However, a character full of great moments in the comics has become a sinking ship. She is BORING. How did they manage that? She's like Nancy Drew on crack, constantly scowling and ever so annoying. One episode I can understand it, maybe two, this is going on for like four episodes. I can't help but be incredibly disappointed in the show's portrayal.

Daryl is Rick because Rick is NOT Rick

Rick is handled terribly. Awful. Again, this goes with differing from the comics, so much so that Rick is not really even noticeable. Rick is a man, a normal everyday man with morals, values and characteristics that are likable and his downfall is what makes the character even more tragic. There was no downfall. Rick off the bat was a huge *******, constantly pointing his guns at people, questioning everything and seeing everyone as someone standing in his way. The prisoners in the comics, he welcomed with a smile but in the show? With a gun. Rick fell apart after seeing the girls murdered in the prison and after being torture, but still had good left in him. Rick is a raging *******. Daryl has most of the likable qualities. He's brave, courageous, interesting and open. He has emotion but guards it with southern man qualities. He is everything Rick fails to be, and that's mostly why Daryl is the best character.

No Direction. No Salvation. Nothing to Lose.

Multiple points wrapped into one. The Walking Dead is aimless and inconsistent in the points it tries to make. The comic (and I have to refer to it) involves people dealing with ordinary, everyday problems, surviving, finding comfort and hope while being faced with a dangerous pandemic. The show has no hope, no salvation and because of this it has no direction, and nothing to lose. Every episode is wrapped around a 'key moment', with everything leading to that, instead of ACTUALLY telling a story it is building towards a MOMENT (Clearing the prison, Lori's death, Governor/Zombie reveal, etc). We have nothing to lose with these characters because we have no sense of place, or belonging. The Prison was home and hope for everyone in the comics. It was a resting place and when it was attacked/raided it was heart stopping, it was absolutely crushing. You felt bad and broken. The Prison is constantly under attack, it is not safe, it is grimey and disgusting. It is not hope. This lack of direction, the lack of hope and focus makes the plot meander. The tempo is off with dramatic moments going on too long, and action scenes cartoony with little to no risk. Meh.

Finally....

The Walking Dead in Name Only

I love(d) this comic series. I cannot say a lot about it now as I feel like it has went too far (just like the show). The Walking Dead TV series bares the name and characters only. I know they have to adapt it to keep people going, give them surprises and be different. True Blood did this and it became a joke around Season 3. Hmm, sounds familiar. Adding Daryl would be fine, his brother not so much. Adding new people? Fine. No dimension or interesting characteristics? No. So the best characters, Michonne, Andrea, Rick, Tyrese and Carl. Michonne is boring. Andrea is a dense bimbo. Rick is a meandering idiot. Tyrese is not even in the damn show. Carl is far from believable.

Safe to say I'm disappointed.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #439
Daniel
Flawed Design

I have to agree with Michonne. I think they did her characte a huge disservice by introducing her and then thrusting her into the Woodbury camp instead of having her meet up with Rick's people first, become someone we saw something human in with her relationship with Tyrese, and then her back story. If things were going to go sour at Woodbury, I felt like the audience would be robbed of an emotional reaction they wouldn't get like in the comics.

Carl, I feel, is the same, I just think the kid who plays him sucks as an actor. And, yeah, Rick is more of a "I will do anything it takes to give everyone around me hope" kind of guy in the comics, and, in the show, he is more like a raving lunatic. It is really hard watching the show, at times, especially with Andrea being such an idiot.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #440
Ayemef
Executive Producer

only point I can agree on is Michonne, from what I've read on various boards she's suppose to be this bad ass in the comics, pretty much a fan favorite but in the show, I just can't get on board with that notion. Sure, you see them implement various moments of trying to make her seem like her comic book counter part, but in the end, I just can't get into her character. Rather boring and 1 note to say the least

not sure if it's the actress of just piss poor execution but I'm in the camp of "just don't give a flying crap about her character", at least at this point

I understand the Andrea hate too but the actress that plays her is just gorgeous and fine as hell (and I'm all for beautiful and sexy women any day of the damn week) so she's just eye candy that I hope sticks around for the duration of the shows run, if for nothing more than to look at and drool over

everything else, disagree whole heartedly. Season 3 is knocking it out the park in ways the first two couldn't dream of, it's been a solid ride thus far and I just hope they can keep it going, really a fun action packed season, five episodes in

the only wrong doing IMO is last weeks episode in making the black prisoner responsible for playing the games on the crew when he CLEARLY DIED (I don't care if it was off screen, and the whole "no body no death" rule they seem to have), when Rick left him in the courtyard and closed the door, you heard him screaming bloody murder as zombies tore him apart, but they bring him back for what? Suspense? Shock Value?

didn't exactly work that way, it was just plain horrible writing and whoever came up with that idea needs a swift kick in the teeth

good god that was just flat out stupid and face palm worthy

Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #441
Mikey-Bizzle
Executive Producer

God I'm glad I don't read the comics
Mikey-Bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #442
carnage4u
The Bad Man

I have enjoyed the show from season one, even with the flaws the second season had (and it did have some issues)

The 3rd season is just so good right now. I cannot believe some people here are so stuck up on the comics they cant get over it.

Are the characters a bit different? yes. Are some changed a lot? Yes
It it taking away the quality o the TV show - Nope.

I know so many people that watched this show (friends/coworkers), and many were watching it hoping it would get better, and the only people complaining now are the people that cant get details from the comic out of their head. Most of my real life friends that read the comics font seem to care about the changes much either. Just random internet people that cant let go

I've read all the comics and I enjoy them greatly, but its nice to watch the show and have it not be exactly the same. I actually get to wonder what happens next along with other fans instead of say "So and so dies next" and then this happens, etc..

This has been a great season and if people cant get over changes from the comic, then I feel sorry they cant enjoy the show now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -- Terry Pratchett
Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #443
Seakazoo
formerly KUacuraChick

Send a message via AIM to Seakazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

This x1,000. I absolutely love Daryl's character. I'm really hoping he and Meryl get to reunite at some point. We never saw them interact in the first season because Daryl was back at their camp when Meryl got cuffed on the roof. From the episode in season two in which Daryl goes a little nuts in the woods and starts hallucinating you get the idea that their relationship isn't quite so strong.

Having not read the comics I can't compare Michonne in the show to her character in the books, but I do have to say I really wish we could see a softer side of her. Yeah we get it, you're a badass, but where's the heart of gold? I suppose that you could argue that she's got some sort of caring side for taking care of Andrea over the winter, but that was all off screen so we were not able to witness it as an audience.

I have to say I'm really liking season 3. The writing still isn't top notch, but I will continue to faithfully watch as I have been.

Carl has new respect from me because he shot Lori. Last season he was just a little scamp getting into trouble because he never sat still. This season he's growing up and being a productive member of the group.

Also, am I the only one hoping that Carol is still alive and hiding somewhere so she and Daryl can continue their awkwardly flirty relationship? I love it!

https://twitter.com/seakazoo My Twitter
https://twitter.com/piratejim2 My cat's Twitter

Last edited by Seakazoo; 11-13-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Seakazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #444
Ayemef
Executive Producer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnage4u View Post

The 3rd season is just so good right now. I cannot believe some people here are so stuck up on the comics they cant get over it.

Are the characters a bit different? yes. Are some changed a lot? Yes
It it taking away the quality o the TV show - Nope.

the only people complaining now are the people that cant get details from the comic out of their head. Most of my real life friends that read the comics font seem to care about the changes much either. Just random internet people that cant let go

I've read all the comics and I enjoy them greatly, but its nice to watch the show and have it not be exactly the same. I actually get to wonder what happens next along with other fans instead of say "So and so dies next" and then this happens, etc..

This has been a great season and if people cant get over changes from the comic, then I feel sorry they cant enjoy the show now.

Thank You

this goes along with my reply on the previous page with people's pointless whining, moaning and complaining

Old 11-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #445
Ayemef
Executive Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUsubaruchick View Post

Also, am I the only one hoping that Carol is still alive and hiding somewhere so she and Daryl can continue their awkwardly flirty relationship? I love it!
I don't care about Carol (her and Michonne can walk off a cliff)

her disappearing is just another "shock value" by the writers that's being executed piss poorly

like seriously, where could she have gone, the door she went out led outside where the rest of the group was (or would have been minutes later). She's clearly not in the prison so that means she left, but why? And if so, then that makes her dumber than a bag of freaking rocks

just kill her off for that reason alone (not to mention she's extremely useless and pointless).

Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #446
carnage4u
The Bad Man

I do agree they handled the carol thing poorly (there seemed to be no effort to find her/assume shes dead. I also assume she is still alive, and will be used as some sort of surprise tactic later), and Michonnes character (tv version) so far is a bit too dimensional so far. Those are my only complaints in an otherwise very enjoyable season.

I just believe its ok to have some issues with some minor points and still enjoy the show overall.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #447
Daniel
Flawed Design

Carnage, you're a movie lover, and I find it hard to believe you haven't ever seen a film adapted from a book and gone ape**** over how poorly the source material was translated.

The show isn't awful, it really is pretty good, but, by comparison, it is awful. And, unfortunately, we have read a comic series that was so damn popular, they just had to do a TV show of it. The comic series was huge, it blew up, and it wasn't because it was about zombies, it was because of the intricate and intense relationships that happened around the zombie invasion. Michonne is introduced to the group and has a whirlwind romance with one of the best characters in a comic ever, Tyrese, which causes another woman to kill herself because she finds Tyrese to be her only hope in a hopeless world. Tyrese is killed in a very brutal fashion, and it was extremely disheartening to see that happen in the comics because he was so amazing. The characters really felt it too, Michonne especially. You're missing that whole side of her in the show. She is like a robot, and I am just waiting for her to meet Rick's group so that y'all can see a more human side of her.

Andrea is extremely capable and continues to be one of the strongest women in the group in the comics. The TV show would lead you to believe she is a blathering idiot. I'm not sure if she will survive like she has in the comics thus far based on how the show is treating her.

I forgot to mention (in regards to Masterchief's comments) that when I saw Rick pull a gun on the prisoners in the show, I was completely taken aback. I think that was the moment where I actually felt like Rick is completely different from the source material. In the comics, is the one who constantly remains level headed and gives people hope. In the show he's always one step away from breaking down and losing his ****, and now he's wandering around the hallways like a crazed maniac Jack in The Shining. When the phone thing happened in the comics, it was a very sad thing, and I feel like the show is treating him more like a guy who is going down a spiral into madness.

Carl kills numerous people in the comics, and he worries be might be too calloused, but, he has a very open dialogue with Rick at all times, and Rick is a good moral compass who assures him they live in different times and hard decisions need to be made so good people survive and live on. And Rick does give people a chance to be good and integrate into their group. This whole "point guns first, be nice later" approach is the complete opposite of how he really is.

The comic does present the prison as a place of hope and paradise, and it does remain that for a while. Their main concerns are finding supplies and fortifying the place against outside walkers. Instead, in the show, they're STILL trying to clear the damn place out. Woodbury got introduced too quickly for my tastes, and I think the comic is just better written than the show in terms of character development and storytelling. We are going to ***** because if you read an extremely well-written book that tells you an awesome story about Timmy and Sally, then you saw a movie about Timmy and Sally and it was less-than-awesome, you'd also be saying "I liked this story more when it was written on paper and not on TV."

There are some changes I understand. In the comics, Hershel has two young twin girls, and they are brutally murdered in the prison when it turns out the guy who claimed he committed tax fraud was, actually, a serial killer. It really affected Rick a lot in the books. On the show, I don't think that storyline would work given the pace of the show. The show is definitely moving things along a LOT faster, and is sacrificing plot lines and characters to do so.

I have liked the show more this season because their world has expanded to include Woodbury, and the Governor is too amazing a character to **** up unless you REALLY try, but, it's still not as good a story as you guys could be told, and that makes me upset, not just for me, but for y'all - you deserve to see the best Walking Dead can be.

Last edited by Daniel; 11-13-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #448
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

I haven't read the comics either and I'm enjoying this season too, although last nights episode was pretty weak. The whole ending with
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the walker eating Lori's body and ending with the inexplicable phone call
was just a poor attempt at leaving a 'cliffhanger' of an episode. Still a really strong season overall, doesn't have as much mundane down time as season 2 had.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #449
carnage4u
The Bad Man

I just like the fact its based on the comics, but they are willing to change things up, and the fact the creator of the comics is so involved with it being a different take on things, I'm not going to complain.

99% of the time when i see a movie based on a book/comic I enjoy the book more (like most people) . There are various adaptions that do bug more me a bit more then they should. Often times it just because the quality of the product is also bad in addition to the material being used poorly.

Enjoying the book more, doesn't meant I cant enjoy the movie/show though. If I find the movie to still be a good attempt at capturing the idea of the book. I don't mind changes that much. "Did I find the movie entertaining?" and "was the core concept captured" is what matters to me.

Beyond that I don't care much. TV/comics/books are all so different I dont hold on to some requirement they all must be so similar.

there are key moments in a book/comic that Stand out to me, and when the movie/tv show is different I'll always be a little sad, but I just dont let it bog me down. Seeing a favorite character act differently, or not get their best lines of books/comic will always set off a nerve on some level, which I do understand.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #450
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Carnage, you're a movie lover, and I find it hard to believe you haven't ever seen a film adapted from a book and gone ape**** over how poorly the source material was translated.

The show isn't awful, it really is pretty good, but, by comparison, it is awful. And, unfortunately, we have read a comic series that was so damn popular, they just had to do a TV show of it. The comic series was huge, it blew up, and it wasn't because it was about zombies, it was because of the intricate and intense relationships that happened around the zombie invasion. Michonne is introduced to the group and has a whirlwind romance with one of the best characters in a comic ever, Tyrese, which causes another woman to kill herself because she finds Tyrese to be her only hope in a hopeless world. Tyrese is killed in a very brutal fashion, and it was extremely disheartening to see that happen in the comics because he was so amazing. The characters really felt it too, Michonne especially. You're missing that whole side of her in the show. She is like a robot, and I am just waiting for her to meet Rick's group so that y'all can see a more human side of her.

Andrea is extremely capable and continues to be one of the strongest women in the group in the comics. The TV show would lead you to believe she is a blathering idiot. I'm not sure if she will survive like she has in the comics thus far based on how the show is treating her.

I forgot to mention (in regards to Masterchief's comments) that when I saw Rick pull a gun on the prisoners in the show, I was completely taken aback. I think that was the moment where I actually felt like Rick is completely different from the source material. In the comics, is the one who constantly remains level headed and gives people hope. In the show he's always one step away from breaking down and losing his ****, and now he's wandering around the hallways like a crazed maniac Jack in The Shining. When the phone thing happened in the comics, it was a very sad thing, and I feel like the show is treating him more like a guy who is going down a spiral into madness.

Carl kills numerous people in the comics, and he worries be might be too calloused, but, he has a very open dialogue with Rick at all times, and Rick is a good moral compass who assures him they live in different times and hard decisions need to be made so good people survive and live on. And Rick does give people a chance to be good and integrate into their group. This whole "point guns first, be nice later" approach is the complete opposite of how he really is.

The comic does present the prison as a place of hope and paradise, and it does remain that for a while. Their main concerns are finding supplies and fortifying the place against outside walkers. Instead, in the show, they're STILL trying to clear the damn place out. Woodbury got introduced too quickly for my tastes, and I think the comic is just better written than the show in terms of character development and storytelling. We are going to ***** because if you read an extremely well-written book that tells you an awesome story about Timmy and Sally, then you saw a movie about Timmy and Sally and it was less-than-awesome, you'd also be saying "I liked this story more when it was written on paper and not on TV."

There are some changes I understand. In the comics, Hershel has two young twin girls, and they are brutally murdered in the prison when it turns out the guy who claimed he committed tax fraud was, actually, a serial killer. It really affected Rick a lot in the books. On the show, I don't think that storyline would work given the pace of the show. The show is definitely moving things along a LOT faster, and is sacrificing plot lines and characters to do so.

I have liked the show more this season because their world has expanded to include Woodbury, and the Governor is too amazing a character to **** up unless you REALLY try, but, it's still not as good a story as you guys could be told, and that makes me upset, not just for me, but for y'all - you deserve to see the best Walking Dead can be.
All of the above. Seriously, we don't want to be "those people", but it's true. You deserve a better The Walking Dead. The show is decent, but the book is off-the-charts.