The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: Wreck-It Ralph
10 4 26.67%
9 4 26.67%
8 3 20.00%
7 3 20.00%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 1 6.67%
1 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #26
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

How many similiar reviews would it take before you stopped grouping our names together? Just curious.

Besides, it's ironic you would combine us when together we loved both halves of it. Clearly the movie is doing something right.

60 out of 65 Hugo Award winners completed.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #27
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
Weird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post
sshuttari and JBond are underselling the movie. It's a lot better than they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond View Post
How many similiar reviews would it take before you stopped grouping our names together? Just curious.

Besides, it's ironic you would combine us when together we loved both halves of it. Clearly the movie is doing something right.
Let's just be honest... If you disagree with Neverending! You have lost all respect and credibility!

The fact that people are saying this is the best Disney movie since Lion King is laughable... It's a good movie.... But there have been many movies that have been way better.

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #28
JBond
Beyond

It also could have used more video game references.

Though Tapper was an obscure, interesting surprise. (And the Konami Code)

Old 11-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #29
Daniel
Flawed Design

Send a message via AIM to Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshuttari View Post
Wreck-It Ralph

definitely not a Sarah Silverman fan. But after finally seeing it, I thought it was really good.
[/b]
me either. i can't stand her or any of the hateful garbage that comes out of her mouth. i'll still see it, but, i hate that i am supporting her.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #30
Daniel
Flawed Design

Quote:
Wreck-It Ralph
Wait, did you seriously just spoil the entire ending of the movie?

Last edited by Fanible; 11-05-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #31
Doomsday
Rejected Reelie Host

If you were to tell me that at some point in time Franklin sat down and watched Tangled I would have called you a liar.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #32
sshuttari

Your supporting Disney! And she's honestly not playing Sarah Silverman which makes it 10x better

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #33
sshuttari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
If you were to tell me that at some point in time Franklin sat down and watched Tangled I would have called you a liar.

I just woke up the whole house laughing really hard in the living room when I read this

Good Job!

Quote:

Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #34
Neverending
sex

Quote:
The fact that people are saying this is the best Disney movie since Lion King is laughable...
Aren't you the guy who called John Carter a masterpiece?
12:55 AM

^ 10 years. LOL.
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #35
sshuttari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
****! delete that post d'ude! I forgot to black that out

Quote:

Old 11-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #36
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
haha

i didn't sit down by myself to watch it, someone else hyped it up and convinced me to watch it.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #37
JBond
Beyond

I rented it and the disc screwed up about 10 minutes into it. I never got around to renting it again.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #38
sshuttari

Quote:
Aren't you the guy who called John Carter a masterpiece?
Get off your high horse. I explained pretty well why I ended up enjoying the film.
I read the books as a kid, and the movie tried to do more with the story and novel then I was expecting. Everyone has something that someone likes that the general audience doesn't, and just because it's my guilty pleasure doesn't mean you or anyone have to agree to it.

I'm done talking about that movie

Quote:

Old 11-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #39
carnage4u
The Bad Man

Review Wars!

random post.
Nothing wrong with john carter.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -- Terry Pratchett
carnage4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #40
Fanible
FanFreakinTastic

Send a message via AIM to Fanible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Good lord. Is it really that complicated to realize that when you quote a spoiler you're just spreading that spoiler even more? Even after they go back and fix it?
Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #41
Neverending
sex

Quote:
Get off your high horse.
You laugh at people for saying Wreck-It Ralph is the best Disney movie since Lion King. And in return, we laugh at you for giving John Carter a 5-star rating. That's the give-and-take of our relationship.
12:55 AM

^ 10 years. LOL.
Neverending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #42
sshuttari

The only difference is I don't keep bringing it up in every single review thread for a year.

Quote:

Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #43
saveus1011
Directive 4 (Classified)

Send a message via AIM to saveus1011 Send a message via Yahoo to saveus1011 Send a message via Skype™ to saveus1011

John Carter is more laughable than Wreck-It Ralph.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #44
JBond
Beyond

John Carter was funny but not ha-ha funny.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #45
Henri Ducard
Executive Producer

If John Carter happened to you, you wouldn't laugh. But it happened to someone else so it's okay.
Henri Ducard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #46
Daniel
Flawed Design

So, guys, I know this is the Wreck It Ralph thread and all, but, what did you think of that John Carter movie?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #47
tubehead
Executive Producer

i got to say this is the best anmited of the year movie since Hotel Transylvania it was awesome too

Last edited by tubehead; 11-11-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: anmited moives
tubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #48
Daniel
Flawed Design

Saw this today. Neverending's initial review said all there is to say. It was slick, well-written, and really funny in parts.

8/10
Old 12-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #49
PsYkOoOoO
Exceptionally Normal

Send a message via AIM to PsYkOoOoO Send a message via MSN to PsYkOoOoO

A little late to the party, but I just saw Wreck-It-Ralph last night, and it was a pretty good movie. It had a lot of heart, but I was surprised that it wasn't particularly funny. It's one thing that I didn't find it particularly funny (most comedies don't work on me), but my entire theatre was pretty quiet throughout the movie. Like, I'd recognize several attempts at jokes, but the audience didn't respond particularly well to them. Anyway, that didn't ruin the movie for me, though. Just an observation.

Also, I wonder what kept the writers from utilising other video game characters more in the story. Imagine if characters from Sonic the Hedgehog and Street Fighter joined in the fight at the end against the bugs. Wouldn't that have been an epic scene? Instead, they are mostly background characters with a few lines here and there. I think that kept the movie from being truly awesome for me. I also agree with JBond's review that the second half was a whole lot better than the first. I wanted more from the Hero's Duty game, and less from Sugar Rush. Still, I think the ending saved the entire movie. Did anybody else get the Iron Giant vibe when Ralph was crashing into the volcano of Mentos?

7.5/10
Old 03-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #50
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Wreck It Ralph was the most celebrated animated film of 2012, though likely most of that praise comes from the simple fact that its about video games. Otherwise its a pretty regular family movie, nothing that will compete with the recent animated greats like Up or the Toy Story films.

The arcade underworld works very similar to the world of Toy Story, where once the people are gone they live lives of their own. Characters can even visit other games, so long as they are back before the arcade opens again. In this world Ralph is unsatisfied with his role as the bad guy, and starts game jumping. This offers an interesting theme to be explored with not accepting your lot in life and being an outsider, though I'm not sure the resolution speaks to these themes too well.

I have to admit that I enjoyed the storyline quite a bit. It follows a clear pattern but also throws some neat dilemmas and twists in, notably the story behind Vanillape (or however the heck I'm supposed to spell that) and the villanous King Candy. That was some good stuff which provided for some drama. However, there were clunky parts like the space bugs taking over another game and a weird romance development.

The visuals of Wreck It Ralph were pretty spectacular. The colour palate alone is enough to get kids on a sugar high. But there's also some great touches with the way the arcade characters move and how the candy world of Sugar Rush was detailed that always make for an interesting watch.

The downside to this movie is that the writing isn't so hot. Not so much the story, which I've already mentioned that I enjoyed, but the dialogue is really the problem here. It just falls flat; noticeably flat. There are really no interesting lines here, which also affects the humour. Its very, very basic and juvenile. Lines like "why are you so freakishly annoying" and even a "did not/did too" argument shows that they didn't have a lot in the way of inspiring dialogue. In fact, almost anything the little girl says showcases how childish the writing is.

The music also disappoints, which is a surprise coming from Disney. I know they were going for more of a retro video game music style, but lets face it, those melodies aren't very emotionally rousing.

This was a fun movie, and gamers will get a kick out of some of the references I suppose (though there's not as many as you would think). The video game world is interesting to explore, but I'm not sure all levels of code were working well enough to make this a hit.
7/10

Last edited by IanTheCool; 03-09-2013 at 09:44 AM.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote