The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE STUDIO > Current Movies, DVDs & Blu-rays

View Poll Results: Rate "Rust and Bone"
10 0 0%
9 0 0%
8 1 100.00%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
iv3rdawG
Oh My Glob!

Default Rust and Bone - Review Thread

Originally posted at: http://evantvmoviegames.tumblr.com/p...tandbonereview

While watching Jacques Audiard’s film A Prophet, I felt disgusted. It’s one of a few movies that made me feel uncomfortable even after watching it. It’s odd, since it doesn’t necessarily contain anything that hasn’t been present in any other films before it. It’s the way he presented everything; the nature of how all these events unfolded within the film. The kind of characters the audience were being shown we’re oftentimes revolting. His latest feature, Rust and Bone, does elicit those feelings but not to such a strong extent (thankfully, depending on what you’re looking for). Two people’s lives are changed forever when they each have to deal with unforeseen circumstances. With each other’s help they attempt to get through them unscathed.

Now that Marion Cotillard has delved head first into the Hollywood machine, it seems like a nice time to compare her work in English versus French. Her most famous role and easily most effective was the performance that got her an Oscar, La vie en Rose. It can be safe to say that her work in Rust and Bone is her second best. She’s phenomenal in this co-lead of a role. As good as she might be in American films, and believe me, I adored her in Midnight in Paris. There’s just something about her when she’s speaking French. I don’t know if it’s where she’s finding the meatier roles, or if she’s just looking to do different things in English, but her work in her native language is incredibly strong. Much of this is in large part due to the juicy character she’s able to portray here. From the moment she shows up, there’s something going on in here life and within her as a person. While the audience doesn’t get to spend a whole lot of time with her in this state, it acts as a nice comparison point to how she progresses as a person.

The film was adapted from two stories, one focusing on Matthias Schoenaerts and his son and another on Cotillard. The two were joined together to create this film and honestly, the transition is seamless. As someone who hadn’t read either story, it seems impossible that the two wouldn’t have been as one from the start. That’s how well the story meshes. The one main thread of the film works, which focuses on Cotillard and Schoenaerts’ relationship. Their relationship is far from conventional, so it’s fun and interesting to see the two interact and get along. Schoenaerts’ piece of the film isn’t as strong as Cotillard’s, partly due to what we’re actually seeing on the screen. It’s nothing really new and in comparison to Cotillard’s part of the film, it’s rather dull.

The soundtrack itself is good but there’s nothing quite special about it. The use of Katy Perry’s music is a surprise and it actually works spectacularly well. The film features her music the best out of anything that I’ve heard it in. The scene itself is tough to watch in a different way than A Prophet was, and it showcases Audiard’s talent as a director and Cotillard’s acting ability There’s a softness to Rust and Bone, almost entirely because of Cotillard and her performance. It wouldn’t surprise me if she got another Oscar nomination for this, and she would deserve it. It isn’t as visceral as A Prophet, but I’m happy about that because it doesn’t need to be. There are aspects of Rust and Bone that were definitely still present in in Audiard’s other film, but they don’t get in the way of the main story, and because of that, it works well in the overall product. The one thing that Audiard is able to do so incredibly well is that his work results is an extremely strong and powerful movie.

Trailer:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Controlled Obsession Website | Controlled Obsession Twitter | Controlled Obsession Facebook | Twitter (Personal)

Last edited by iv3rdawG; 11-12-2012 at 12:26 PM.
iv3rdawG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
shained
Y.N.W.A

Send a message via MSN to shained

After recently watching A Prophet I was compelled to seek out the directors other works, which lead me to Rust and Bone.

The film follows the lives of a father who is struggling to look after his child while living with his sister and a Whale trainer who suffers a horrific accident which leaves her without legs.

I really wanted to love Rust and Bone but in the end just had to settle with it being a good film.

The concept and storyline are run of the mill, people from different walks of life who are encountering difficulties find solace in one another. It's the performances of the actors and the filmmaking that truly elevates the film above the norm, Cotillard is absolutely fantastic as is Schoenaerts.

One of my main gripes was with the character of Ali. I really wanted to like him and truly wanted things to work out for him and Steohanie and his kid but many times he would make decisions or do something that would sour his character in my eye. Maybe my 7/10 is a little harsh and tainted with these gripes I had with Ali that may not be as strong as time passes but I felt that I couldn't truly get behind him due to this.

The fight scenes also could have been a bit better in my opinion, the choreography looked a bit poor with knees looking a good feet or two away from thei targets.

Minor gripes for an otherwise very solid film which can be emotional, daring and engrossing.

7/10

Liverpool Football Club

You'll Never Walk Alone

Letterboxd
shained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Dhamon22
High Flying Bird

Send a message via AIM to Dhamon22

This was very good. I was invested in the characters and loved the evolution Cotillard's character went through. She was amazing in the film. I also enjoyed A Prophet so this is a director I'll be keeping my eye on.

8.5/10

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.com

@theredboxreport
Dhamon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
madelinhume
Grip

I watched this film and I would say it is a good one. I'd give it a four out of five star.
madelinhume is offline   Reply With Quote