The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > FRANCHISES & GENRES > Star Wars

Old 11-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #226
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

Nilade should always have a team after that response. Can we put in a word for you to be CEO of Disney?

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverending View Post

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #227
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilade View Post
People either loved it or hated it. It received a 51% from Rotten Tomatoes, which was 119 positive reviews and 111 negative reviews. It also received an audience rating of 67%. When I saw it at the El Capitan opening night, the audience loved it. Same response when I saw it again a week later. Of course, it was mostly fanboys, but that's still a good sign, no?
OK, so let me get this straight - it received a ROTTEN review (less than 60%) on Rotten Tomatoes and fanboys loved it? That's your reasoning? Fanboys loved the Phantom Menace when it initially came out, and that movie is widely considered terrible. I'm not following your logic on this one. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

My point is this - maybe he has the potential to be a good director, maybe he doesn't, but the only movie we've seen from him was loved by fanboys (I was excited to see it and felt very disappointed in the product), and barely made it's budget back ($172 million out of a budget of $170 million). We're giving him credit where none has been earned yet. This is like giving Obama a Nobel Peace Prize for potential. Let's not get ahead of ourselves on crowning this guy anything just yet.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #228
Justin
Executive Loser

Yeah, Tron was really bad. I'll wait and see how Oblivion turns out before I call him a bad director or a good one. Either way, his directorial debut was poor and revolved around the (albeit amazing) 3-D and visuals.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #229
Neverending
Ducks

Ewok compared him to Uwe Boll. I think that's the issue here.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #230
Knerys

No one should be compared to Uwe Boll. Except maybe M. Night...
Old 11-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #231
ScottysAir
Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to ScottysAir Send a message via Yahoo to ScottysAir Send a message via Skype™ to ScottysAir

Hey, I got idea!! How about Anakin Skywalker or Obi-Wan Kenobi?
ScottysAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #232
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

I think somebody broke their mind...

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:32 AM   #233
Nilade
In glorious Technicolor

Send a message via AIM to Nilade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok Droppings View Post
OK, so let me get this straight - it received a ROTTEN review (less than 60%) on Rotten Tomatoes and fanboys loved it? That's your reasoning? Fanboys loved the Phantom Menace when it initially came out, and that movie is widely considered terrible. I'm not following your logic on this one. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

My point is this - maybe he has the potential to be a good director, maybe he doesn't, but the only movie we've seen from him was loved by fanboys (I was excited to see it and felt very disappointed in the product), and barely made it's budget back ($172 million out of a budget of $170 million). We're giving him credit where none has been earned yet. This is like giving Obama a Nobel Peace Prize for potential. Let's not get ahead of ourselves on crowning this guy anything just yet.
No one's crowning anyone for anything. I'm merely explaining why my opinion, which you questioned earlier, is what it is. So there it is. I addressed all your points as thoroughly as I could, but you seemed to focus, and quoted me, on only 25% of my response (and the movie grossed $400 million worldwide, which was a $230 million profit). In the end, you still came to the same conclusion I was trying to make all along, that Kosinski has potential to be a good director. Universal definitely thinks he does, but I'm not going to get into that again.

Yes, The Phantom Menace was a disappointment, but not without its moments. It made most of its money on the strength that the writer/director was going to reproduce the same magic he did a couple of decades earlier with a franchise that was beloved by all. Unfortunately, until people saw the movie, no one could've realized what a disappointment it was going to turn out to be. It did have its shining moments (Darth Maul, pod races), as did Episodes II and III. Lucas had to finish what he started, even though expectations exceeded what he was capable of producing. But at least he realized he failed to live up to those expectations at the end of it all, and that's why he's passing the reigns. Also, maybe he did us all a favor by lowering the bar for Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

Maybe, if Oblivion comes out and it turns out to be a major disappointment, my opinion on Kosinski will change but, until then, I'll agree with you to disagree. I never questioned your opinion in the first place, all I did was back up my own.

Last edited by Nilade; 11-12-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Nilade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #234
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Weird that you get so defensive over your opinion, as if I'm wrong and you're right. Opinions are just that, OPINIONS. IMO, Kosinski has done nothing to instill any trust in me. If I was hiring someone for a project, I certainly wouldn't be impressed with his directoral resume at this point. Each to their own though.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #235
Neverending
Ducks

If you were hiring, that'd mean you're part of the industry and have a different perspective. Empire and Jedi were directed by people who didn't have the proper resume for it. So don't be surprised if it happens again.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #236
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

Mark Webb was given the reigns to the Spider-Man franchise with only one film to his credit- 500 Days of Summer. Studio heads don't think like regular people.
Wyldstaar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #237
Nilade
In glorious Technicolor

Quote:
Weird that you get so defensive over your opinion, as if I'm wrong and you're right. Opinions are just that, OPINIONS. IMO, Kosinski has done nothing to instill any trust in me. If I was hiring someone for a project, I certainly wouldn't be impressed with his directoral resume at this point. Each to their own though.
I'm not getting defensive, I thought we were having a discussion. This is a discussion board, right? You asked me a question :

Quote:
I'm with Tard on this one - how can anyone possibly say Kosinski is a good director? He's directed one movie that's come out so far and it totally sucked. By those standards, should we consider Uwe Boll? He's had MANY movies out that have sucked, so that's like Kosinski x 20.
I simply answered it with the reasons I had for the opinions you questioned. Not once have I shown hostility, aggression, or even made a personal attack against you. I was actually enjoying the discussion as well. Rarely can I have discussions like this at work about things I like to talk about. If the act of me answering your questions makes me defensive in your eyes, simply don't ask.

Last edited by Nilade; 11-12-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #238
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

I think the smarmy response makes you defensive. Hide it all you want, that's OK. I still think there is no basis for saying Kosinski will do a good job at this point. If the best you can muster up is that fanboys liked Tron and it got a rotten score on RT then by all means enjoy your opinion. I think I'll stick with simple logic and reason that shows he hasn't done anything of note up to this point.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #239
Nilade
In glorious Technicolor

Quote:
I think the smarmy response makes you defensive. Hide it all you want, that's OK. I still think there is no basis for saying Kosinski will do a good job at this point. If the best you can muster up is that fanboys liked Tron and it got a rotten score on RT then by all means enjoy your opinion. I think I'll stick with simple logic and reason that shows he hasn't done anything of note up to this point.
So... if I can't have an intelligent discussion with you about our views of a director without sharing the same opinion as you, it makes my responses smarmy? It was a simple, fun debate, but it seems like you're taking this a little too personal, so I'll end the discussion now (on good terms).

If anyone else thinks I was being smarmy, please feel free to comment and maybe I'll work on it. It was never my intention and I honestly don't think I was.

Last edited by Nilade; 11-12-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #240
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
If the act of me answering your question makes me defensive in your eyes, simply don't ask.
Then don't comment. Yes, smarmy.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #241
Nilade
In glorious Technicolor

Quote:
Then don't comment.
Sorry, not happening.

Quote:
Yes, smarmy.
Well, my apologies then. Next time you're in LA, I'll buy you a beer.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #242
ScottysAir
Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to ScottysAir Send a message via Yahoo to ScottysAir Send a message via Skype™ to ScottysAir

How about Jawas?
ScottysAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #243
Ewok Droppings
Starfleet Captain

Quote:
Well, my apologies then. Next time you're in LA, I'll buy you a beer.
Deal... even though I don't drink.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #244
sshuttari
A Galaxy Not so Far Away!

Send a message via AIM to sshuttari Send a message via MSN to sshuttari

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96993

Spotting producer Frank Marshall, husband of Lucasfilm's new president Kathleen Kennedy, at the The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 premiere last night, MTV tried getting him to talk about whether he knows who they may be approaching and his response is somewhat heartening that we'll get an answer to that burning question soon."I do (know) but I can't reveal it, or I won't be alive tomorrow," he said. "I'm really excited about this. I didn't grow up with it, but I was a big fan and have been since the series started. I'll always remember seeing that big mothership go over the screen. I've never forgotten it. I can't wait to see what's next."

He did tell them that they've narrowed the search down to "a couple of candidates" as well, but not when they'll be announcing their choice to the public. You can watch the video of Marshall's response at MTV.

--------------------------------------------------

MOTHERSHIP!!!! It's a stardestroyer!!

Why are you producing!!! If you don't even know what the hell it is

All those others had ambition poured into them. That alone makes them worthy of at least considering their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

Everyone who posts in CS! is a suburban white kid. No minorities or inner city people here. Even sshuttari is white.
sshuttari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #245
Nilade
In glorious Technicolor

Quote:
Deal... even though I don't drink.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #246
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshuttari View Post
--------------------------------------------------

MOTHERSHIP!!!! It's a stardestroyer!!

Why are you producing!!! If you don't even know what the hell it is
Heh, that was you?

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #247
Neverending
Ducks

New trailer for Disney's Oz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P87dDMnmASc

I still think that if it's a BIG hit, Sam Raimi will move to the top of the list. Assuming they're still looking for a director when March rolls around.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #248
DarthVader 2004
Executive Producer

My belief is it will likely be not really a big name. Kershner the best Star Wars director of them all . He proved that a small film director could make a great film. Yes I know Lucas knew him but my point is a small director is possible.
DarthVader 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #249
Fanible
FanFreakinTastic

Send a message via AIM to Fanible

Quote:
New trailer for Disney's Oz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P87dDMnmASc

I still think that if it's a BIG hit, Sam Raimi will move to the top of the list. Assuming they're still looking for a director when March rolls around.
We better pray that Oz bombs then.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #250
Neverending
Ducks

Ah, yes. The Raimi Hate at CS. I forgot.