The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > FRANCHISES & GENRES > Star Wars

Old 11-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
JBond
Beyond

Send a message via AIM to JBond
Default Killing of characters?

How would people feel about the death of characters from the original trilogy in the upcoming one? Would it be OK if they killed someone like Lando, Chewie or C-3PO? Are Han, Luke and Leia off limits or could/should one of them buy the farm?

Weird thing to consider, isn't it?

I think we should see the death of Luke. Of course that's without knowing what any of the movies are going to be about. I don't want someone to die just for shock value, of course.

"There's someone in my head but it's not me."
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Tolkien
LOTR Junkie™

Send a message via AIM to Tolkien

It's weird because we all grew up with them, so for us they've always been around and there, making them somewhat immortal in our eyes. It's like, Han was never in any real danger, even though he could have died in carbonite or shot or blown up. But now, with these posibilities actually closer than they've ever been, the topic of whether or not main characters from the SW series could die or not is a very real option now, and a very interesting topic to discuss.

If we had to go, I think I'd have to pick Luke as well, and not just because he's the obvious choice, but because of who he is:

Luke Skywalker was an emotion-filled teenager who only became a Jedi Apprentice because Obi-Wan and Yoda needed him to confront Vader and help fight the Empire. You know, because Obi was too old and Yoda was already off his last nut. So here we are, a teenager who's strong with the force, being handed a lightsaber, being told to use the force and being sent out there to fight off the Empire for two years before Obi-Wan finally shows up to him in a force-like state to tell him to seek Yoda.

Then, there's Yoda taking him under his wing to train, after spending 900 years of his own life learning to follow the Jedi Code about not training candidates past a certain age. But I forgive this because Yoda's crazy and we should all feel pitty for him. Now then, fast forward to ROTJ, where we see a more mature, well trained Luke Skywalker, who has had at least some on and off training with Yoda since their first encounter.

But what's he wearing now? All black? What? The color of the Sith? And what's with the flow of emotions? He's trying to hide it but he can't, it's all over his face. And he's got to face his father, the man who killed his mother, the man who helped destroy the Jedi Order, the man who... eh, **** it, we all know what that helmet-wearing goofball did. There was just waaaaay too much emotion coming off of him, too much for him to control. And he's still young. Just wait until he's older and more impatient.

Which finally brings me to why I chose Luke; his emotions will get the better, if not the best of him in the end. I know we're not moving towards a Dark Empire adaptation, but for Luke, the same rules should apply. It should revolve around his countless years of struggle with the Dark Side within him, and his desire for his children to never know that side or experience it for themselves. I think he should have to face it in this next Episode, and that it should lead to his eventual death, with it being an ultimate sacrifice to save the ones he loves.

At least, that's my opinion on the matter...

Tolkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
Neverending
Ducks

I'm assuming Luke will be killed at the some point. All the original characters will be old people.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
JBond
Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
It's weird because we all grew up with them, so for us they've always been around and there, making them somewhat immortal in our eyes. It's like, Han was never in any real danger, even though he could have died in carbonite or shot or blown up. But now, with these posibilities actually closer than they've ever been, the topic of whether or not main characters from the SW series could die or not is a very real option now, and a very interesting topic to discuss.
Yes, exactly. The movies have been watched so much and put on this pedestal, the idea of their deaths is very weird indeed...and too good not to dip in that well at least once.

They could completely **** up Luke's death scene and it will still be pretty powerful. Imagine if it's done right.

Good reasoning on Luke's death, btw.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!

I think if Luke was going to die it wouldn't be because of his struggles with the dark side or his shortcomings, but in an Episode 4 Obi Wan style way where he was committing some sort of sacrifice or whatnot where he was the mentor figure and he died to provide motivation and help to the new protagonist. Also because Mark Hamill is ugly as sin these days.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #6
JBond
Beyond

A sacrifice would be fine....but if there's another suicide by lightsaber, I'm going home.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
Deexan
Reflektor

If Luke died we'd all secretly expect him to return in shiny Blue form. The death of somebody non-Force endowed like Han, on the other hand, would be more effective.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

As long as it's handled well, I don't have a problem with any of the main characters being killed off. The only ones who absolutely have to remain are Artoo and Threepio. It's not Star Wars without them, and they're needed for comic relief. The last time a different character was used for comic relief in the Star Wars universe, it didn't turn out so well.
Wyldstaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
IanTheCool
Executive Lego Producer

Are they even going to have these characters? I'm thinking Ford is not coming back, and as such, Han will already be introduced as dead at the beginning of 7, like Jones Sr. was at the beginning of Indy 4.
IanTheCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Dracula
Bloodgod

Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Harrison Ford Says Han Solo Was Boring And Should Have Been Killed Off
"I don't...Am I speaking Russian? How come I'm speaking Russian?"
Ramplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Wyldstaar
Executive Producer

Default Ford On Board!

Ford interested in participating in Episode VII!
Wyldstaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Yeah,, why not? He did the voice over for the failed Sony Star Wars Galaxies NGE
Old 04-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #14
Ramplate
Muwahahaha!...Hamster.

Star Wars actor Richard LeParmentier dies aged 66... 35 years after he was choked by Darth Vader
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ampaign=14 90
Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Knerys

If it serves the story, they can kill who ever they want (or need to) as far as I'm concerned. Just make it count!