The ComingSoon.net Forums  

Go Back   The ComingSoon.net Forums > THE BACK LOT > Sports

View Poll Results: Who is taking home the championship this year?
Miami Heat 2 28.57%
Oklahoma City Thunder 3 42.86%
Somebody else in the East (specify) 1 14.29%
Somebody else in the West (specify) 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #151
Diablo
RG3

The Virginia Beach Kings!???!?!!

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/28/476...nia-beach.html
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #152
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!

I was fortunate enough to be credentialed for the Lakers Time Warner Cable network debut for my startup sports website.

I'll give a brief recap of what I saw/talked about.

I talked to Pau for awhile, first I asked him if he remembered me from my days as a reporter for KNBC (he at least said that he remembered my face, not sure if he was being truthful or not but a nice gesture). Then I asked him about his interest in television (since we're a website trying to focus on the more personal side of sports) and asked him what his favorite TV show was. He said that it was "Friends," and when I asked him which character he was most like he said Chandler. I then asked him about some of his roles in TV shows like Numb3rs and CSI Miami and asked if he was interested in pursuing a career in acting and he said that it was a fun thing he did on the side but wasn't sure if he wanted to pursue it full time once he retired.

Then I talked to Dwight Howard, I asked him what his favorite TV show was and he kept going on about how he doesn't really watch TV but his favorite TV show was "Martin" with Martin Lawrence. Then I asked him what he did instead of watch TV and he started going on about how he loved playing video games, I asked what his favorite video game was and he said Call of Duty and then started talking about his achievements and rank in that game (which I didn't really understand since I don't play that). Then I asked him if he would consider a career in TV and he said that he was actually hoping to work in TV and Film while he was still a player and that he was hoping to work as an actor after his playing career was over. At that point he noticed that David Beckham was right next to him and started freaking out to some degree (and at this point he basically broke the interviewer/interviewee format and just started to talk to me like a normal person) and he started talking about how crazy it was to just look to the right and see David Beckham. I said "Welcome to LA, Dwight! I see David Beckham walking around all the time" and he said "Really?" Then I told him that I was joking and he laughed (I think he actually believed me for a second.)

I also talked to Jodie Meeks and he said his favorite show was Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. I asked him if he was more of a Will or a Carlton and he said definitely a Will. I asked if he liked getting dressed up for events like this and he said he liked it since he was a lower-profile player who doesn't always get to do stuff like this.

I talked to Steve Blake later but I don't really remember what he said about his favorite show or whatever, but I know that I asked "Is it confusing having two guys named Steve on the team?" and he started talking about how at times somebody would say "Hey, Steve!" and both of them would turn around, and that eventually one of them would have to have a nickname. I asked him what nickname he would prefer and he said that some people have started to call him "Stevie B." I then told him that this name would catch on and when the interview ended I said "See you later, Stevie B!" and he laughed.

I tried to talk to Metta World Peace but he told me "Hey, just give me two seconds" and then he walked inside to the party. I told my cameraman "Dude, Metta World Peace just blew me off"....but then, a couple minutes later, he actually came back out to talk to me! I don't really remember what he said but later on at the party I saw him and said "Hey, I'm pretty impressed, you said you were going to talk to me in a few minutes and I thought you were blowing me off, but you actually came back and did an interview!" and he responded by saying "Yeah man, a man is only as good as his word man, and my word is good."

Unfortunately I wasn't able to talk to either Kobe or Steve Nash, they only went to the first few people in the red carpet press row and then just went inside.

Later on, I realized that the actual party itself was open to the press (and offered an open bar and free dinner) so I went on inside. Dwight Howard was being very gregarious, he was dancing on the dancefloor with some people and stayed for awhile, and took photos whenever possible.

Nash was being very private and stayed in his walled off VIP area, then he left after a short period of time. A bummer since I really wanted to talk to him. Kobe also left the party very quickly. Jamison and World Peace were walking around the party grounds interacting with whoever they could.

Also (in, what I admit, is a pretty un-professional journalist move, but I was a couple free beers deep from the open bar and couldn't help myself) I saw Mitch Kupchack at the party, and I went up to him and said "I'd like to be the 10 millionth person to say THANK YOU! And you know for what" to which he chuckled and said "You're welcome."
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #153
Deexan
Reflektor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf2 View Post
At that point he noticed that David Beckham was right next to him and started freaking out to some degree (and at this point he basically broke the interviewer/interviewee format and just started to talk to me like a normal person) and he started talking about how crazy it was to just look to the right and see David Beckham. I said "Welcome to LA, Dwight! I see David Beckham walking around all the time" and he said "Really?" Then I told him that I was joking and he laughed (I think he actually believed me for a second.)

My Twitter
My Facebook
Deexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #154
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!

Here's the video, you don't see me but I was the one asking all the questions and you can hear me laugh at 1:38.

http://www.athleteslivehere.com/blog...-launch-party/
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #155
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Lucky son of a gun. Good read though. Love learning more about athletes.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #156
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

... well i'll say it.

those are some softball questions you ask... were you star struck or something?

didn't ask metta about the 73 wins? no kobe impersonations from dwight? what pau was thinking about with him being traded last year to be saved by stern? the classic whose team is this? no mike brown? like to hear how he is gonna juggle these egos.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
FranklinTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #157
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinTard View Post
... well i'll say it.

those are some softball questions you ask... were you star struck or something?

didn't ask metta about the 73 wins? no kobe impersonations from dwight? what pau was thinking about with him being traded last year to be saved by stern? the classic whose team is this? no mike brown? like to hear how he is gonna juggle these egos.
AthletesLiveHere is a website dedicated to showing the personal side of athletes (e.g hobbies, personalities, families, personal stories, etc.) All of our stories are focused on things that happen off the court/field. There are no game recaps, no opinion pieces, no stats, and no playing style analysis. With the red carpet format we had maybe one or two minutes with each of the athletes so we decided asking them their favorite TV show (and then asking Dwight about his interest in acting) was the quickest way to accomplish that. The questions you're asking are not relevant to our brand and can be found elsewhere. I most certainly wasn't "star struck," I've interviewed people more famous than these guys.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #158
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but didn't you also work for ESPN at some point, too?

P.S. Go Blazers.

This will explain everything.
Brock Landers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #159
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

oh my fault, i didn't understand.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed. -Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #160
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but didn't you also work for ESPN at some point, too?

P.S. Go Blazers.
Yeah, I used to work for the sports department of the Los Angeles NBC affiliate and then moved to Connecticut to work for ESPN for a year. (before I realized that living in Connecticut was absolutely terrible and I couldn't take it anymore, even though the job was cool, so I moved back to California to get my MBA and launch this business)
Old 10-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #161
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

Harden to the rockets.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:38 AM   #162
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!

Quote:
Harden to the rockets.
What an insane trade, I was totally shocked by this.

I mean I guess it's a pretty good deal for them (especially considering that the Toronto pick will be very high) but I'm shocked that they essentially threw away their chances at winning a championship this year. I mean I guess the odds had them as the third most likely to win a championship but I would have thought they would have stuck with their roster and hoped to make it instead of regressing.

It's pretty funny to think that OKC got a better deal for Harden than Orlando got for Dwight Howard, though.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #163
Dhamon22
High Flying Bird

Send a message via AIM to Dhamon22

I think its a great trade for OKC. Harden isn't a max contract guy, hes a talented guy that got alot of good looks by being the third best player on the court most of the time.

Martin can score and they set themselves up nicely for the future. They also get Maynor back which gives them the ability to move Westbrook to SG at times. They might've downgraded slightly for this season but the Lakers are getting old and they'll take over as best of the West as soon as next year.

The Redbox Report Podcast - http://theredboxreport.com

@theredboxreport
Dhamon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #164
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

I think Toronto will be better than people expect, but I love the deal for the rockets. Well see how good he is, never been the dude so well see. His career efficiency is great, Martin wasn't being used properly in mchales system anyway though.

Def make the rockets a contender in the west, and might have saved moreys job.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #165
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

In honor of the new season, here is my inaugural "**** the Lakers" comment.

Sincerely,
A Blazers Fan

Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #166
MasterChief117
The Batman

Send a message via AIM to MasterChief117

Boston played...eh. Miami played what everyone thought. Glad to see Wade healthy though.
"And as the sun, that had been too afraid to show its face in this city, started to turn the black into grey, I smiled. Not out of happiness. But because I knew... that one day, I wouldn't have to do this anymore. One day, I could stop fighting. Because one day... I would win. One day, there will be no pain, no loss, no crime. Because of me, because I fight. For you. One day, I will win."
MasterChief117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #167
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Bosh actually played like he had a pulse last night. I was shocked.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #168
charliejames
New User - Level 0

Broke lestner chamion of the year,....
charliejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #169
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

irving waiters back court is scary good. give them a few years and they might be a legit force for cleve.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #170
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

Mike brown gone after 1 and 4 start. Too funny.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #171
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Mike brown gone after 1 and 4 start. Too funny.
I woke up to this story flashing on SportsCenter this morning and I couldn't be happier. First comes the story earlier this week about USC cheating against the Ducks and still losing, and then this whole Mike Brown fiasco to end the week. As a devoted fan of Oregon sports, this is like ****ing Christmas to watch L.A. self-destruct. Panic moves are great, too.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:04 AM   #172
bbf2
IT'S A TRAP(ezoid)!

The Lakers firing Mike Brown isn't self destructing, its a good move for the team. Mike Brown was an idiot. All reports are indicating that we're going to get Phil Jackson back.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:28 AM   #173
Brock Landers
Ninja + Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf2 View Post
The Lakers firing Mike Brown isn't self destructing, its a good move for the team. Mike Brown was an idiot. All reports are indicating that we're going to get Phil Jackson back.
I know, I just still get bummed out sometimes when I think about the 2000 Western Conference Finals. As a Blazers fan, any discord in Lakerland is cause for brief celebrating. It's been 12 years and I'm still bitter.

Last edited by Brock Landers; 11-10-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #174
FranklinTard
Lock The Gates!

mike brown is terrible. makes you wonder how he lasted so long in cleveland. why did lebron support him so much? dude is a terrible coach with a terrible system.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #175
Diablo
RG3

Wizards win!